From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1129
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2002 10:07 PM

From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>

From: "jeremys_im" <jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net>

From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>

From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

From: "Stragand, Dave" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

From: <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

14. Re: Monitor-LEDs instead of clock
From: "deloreanfl" <ericp_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

15. www.deloreanmotorcenter.com has been updated
From: steven.rogers_at_dml_cgey.com

16. Re: Burgundy Interior Wanted...
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>

17. Re: Air conditioning
From: "Graham WELLS" <gwells_at_dml_churchfarm-classics.fsnet.co.uk>

18. Re: monitor-LED-project... (longish)
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

19. Rear NCT Tire Needed
From: "bob.hlavacek" <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>

20. Suspension kit
From: "tp8534" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

21. Re: DeLorean Jumpstarting.
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

22. Shift Knob threads
From: "Michael G. Fischer" <michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com>

23. Re: Rear NCT Tire Needed
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

24. Looking for parts........
From: Ulysses Stockdale <smoolie671_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Rear NCT Tire Needed
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:31:02 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Burgundy Interior Wanted...

When I was last in the old DMC Houston location, some of these items were on
display.
I am sure they are on display since moving in to the new building.
Call them.
-Kevin
Houston

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:54:39 -0400
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>
Subject: Fw: garage door opener

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 03:36:39 -0000
From: "jeremys_im" <jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net>
Subject: Re: Monitor-LEDs instead of clock

I must have one of these as well. What's it going to take. A walk-
through description including wire-up would be excellent.

Jeremy

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Since I was busy with the pictures of the RPM-relay I also put
> up pictures of my finished monitoring-panel *(you might
rememer
> me asking for inspiration a couple of months ago).
> The monitor is up at <http://members.home.nl/delorean/
monitor>

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:02:35 +1000
From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>
Subject: REAR MAIN OIL SEAL REPLACEMENT

This week I've had to remove the gearbox to replace a worn clutch.   Sadly,
this is the third time the clutch has been replaced in three years at great
expense to the hip pocket.   Beats me why it keeps wearing-out especially
as I don't drive the car regularly.  I notice that the rear main oil seal
is leaking and obviously now is the time to replace it.   Would appreciate
if anyone tell me the Volvo part number for this seal.   Thank you in
anticipation.   Lance (Australia)

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:32:26 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Thomas

As I have mentioned before, I am in contact with the interior trim
company in Belfast responsible for the DeLorean (credit to Paul Salsbury
for tracking them down). Thay are still in business and have recently
re-skinned my seats, binnacle and knee-pads (black), and Paul's seats.
The same guy owns the business still , and many of his employees worked
for DMC. He told me they did several experimental pieces by hand,
including burgundy, plus the saddle brown for the gold cars. The
prototypes had full hand-stitched leather as a point of interest.

Best Wishes

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:48:21 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Parts Warrentee card found

Hi,
I was going through some Delorean stuff today that I got in a batch
of parts, and there was a DMC Warrentee Card in the mix.  Back
in '82, some car had its inertia switch taken care of under
warrentee.  My question is: I'm trying to find out which car had this
done.  There is no place on the card that says a vin, but there is
this

Date: 2/17/82
DMC DEALER# 05166
REPAIR ORDER# 2620

100815/ Inertia Switch

Could someone who has a dealer list please look up the dealer?  Also,
is the REPAIR ORDER# the same as the last 4 digits of someones VIN????

Any help would be great!  Thanks!

Erik

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:27:19 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC Warrentee card pic

Hi, I put a picture of the warrentee card in the Miscellany folder on
the Yahoo Groups Photo site.

Erik

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:44:01 -0700
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

treehouse2000us wrote:

> . . . I fond a rather strage email by James Espey on October 8, 1996, quite a while
> ago huh.
>
> Anyway, this email states that there was at least one set of a fouth
> color interior, Burgundy.  While touring the KAPAC? stockroom  . . .

It is true.  I was there and saw the burgundy bits and pieces.  These were in the
leftover DeLorean factory inventory, along with samples of painted stainless and many,
many other R&D things from the early days of DeLorean.  This was all in the Kapac
warehouse in Columbus, Ohio.

I presume that this stuff is now in Texas.  Talk to DeLorean Motor Company and see if
they've got it.  I doubt it's for sale, but your "any price they demand" offer sounds
like one nobody could refuse.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:19:38 -0400
From: "Stragand, Dave" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

Thomas Porter wrote:

> If he owns them or anybody else knows who owns these burgundy
> peices, I want to get in contact with them, and to purchase
> them, basicly at any price they demand.

Why bother?  The great thing about vinyl (and nylon carpet for that matter) is that you can VERY easily dye it from one color to another.  You can change gray to black, and vice versa, as well as change gray to purple or black to burgundy.

I've seen at least two different dyed interiors in past issues of DeLorean world, and they looked great.  I also came very close myself to dying my interior to tan/camel, but instead I simply redyed it gray.

-Dave

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:42:14 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: RPM-relay modification

Looks slick but I must have missed the previous posts on this.

What exactly prompted you to make this modification?

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:03:37 +0000
From: <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Burgundy Interior Wanted...

A steering wheel and center arm reset in burgundy are in DMC Houston's customer area complete with  CP Trim labels.

Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:22:45 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Jumpstarting.

I have found that the small battery packs they sell in mail order
catalogs, Costco, and auto stores to be much more convinient and safer
than jump starting off of a car. There is no danger of damaging the
"donor" car. It doesn't require getting close with the car and is more
powerful than a long set of jumper cables. Some come with built-in
lights and compressors. I have jumped positive ground vehicles and 6
volt vehicles. It is insurance in case MY battery ever goes dead, with
jumper cables you still need another car, with the battery pack I can
help myself. I find I am using mostly for others, I rarely use it for
myself except to pump up tires. You can find them as cheap as $40,
less than a good quality set of jumper cables!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> You can connect the cables in the engine compartment.  There is a
Positive

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:52:16 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

I've used these connections when having to jump start my DeLorean,
but was unaware that I could use them when using my DeLorean to
jumpstart ANOTHER vehicle. Every instruction sheet that I've ever
seen has said that the running vehicle must have both cables
connected to it's respective battery terminals, and it's the dead car
that has to be connected to the positive terminal, and the engine
block.

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:41:38 -0000
From: "deloreanfl" <ericp_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

My Compliments!  Very creative and useful. You did a great job on
this project.  I like modifications that are "seemless" to the
originality of the car - just what you have accomplished.

Eric
05557
Dunedin, FL
ericp_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:13:41 -0700
From: steven.rogers_at_dml_cgey.com
Subject: www.deloreanmotorcenter.com has been updated

Group,

www.deloreanmotorcenter.com , the web site of Delorean Motor Center in
Garden Grove, CA, owned by Don Steger, has been redesigned (finally,
after 4 years).  You can now buy on-line from DMC, including specialty
parts and Delorean Motor Center only items.

As the site's webmaster, I would appreciate any feedback (sent to me
individually).   Many of us have relied on Don over the years for
technical support and maintenance of our cars (mine included).
This will become his forum for tech tips and service specials.

steven.rogers(AT)cgey.com

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:17:15 -0400
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>

I do remember seeing a Burgundy binnacle,  center
console, and steering wheel in the new Humble DMC shop.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:38:27 +0100
From: "Graham WELLS" <gwells_at_dml_churchfarm-classics.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Air conditioning

I have yet to do final checks, but I am now 99% certain that it is a
vacuum leak problem as it seems to be the actual flow of air through the
center vent that is affected. In other words if you select 'vent' or
'norm' or 'max', the same symptoms appear, so that seems to rule out a
specific airconditioning problem
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:06:25 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: monitor-LED-project... (longish)

Hello everyone,

First of all thank you for alle the responses; my mailbox filled
up with over 20 mails regarding my LED-panel this evening...

I will try to address the most frequent questions here...

Q- Will I be selling these, either complete or as a kit?
A- No; I will not. It would involve too much organisation
   and very much organisation to do so.
   There would also be problems with warranty, installation etc.
   And I can't start to think of what it would have to cost;
   the system I showed everyone is my 3rd setup, but actually
   my SIXTH prototype. A lot of how it turned out is just dumb
   luck, some parts come from broken appliances or were salvaged
   from earlier projects which I made years ago...
   I only know that making this thing has cost me over 8 times of
   what the parts in it now are worth, without labour and R&D...
   Actual parts-cost for THIS unit is somewhere around $20,-

Q- Would you mind if I built one myself?
A- No, not at all! Go ahead! That was the #1 reason for me to post
   the pictures; to inspire people. I have never ever thought about
   making profit on this; I made it for the fun of making it,
   getting to know my car better, having something functional there
   and (most important) customising the car to be even more "mine"
   Should anyone copy this, it will reflect the abilities and ideas
   of it's owner/builder, thus making it personal for that person too!

Q- You should have used Blue for the AC-icon, why not?
A- Blue isn't available in the form factor of the LEDs I used.
   It would also ruin the symmetry I have now AND I'm not really
   fond of the actual color of most blue LEDs. Feel free to use
   any color you want on your system if you build one...

Q- How did you make those icons? Are the colors from the LEDs?
A- I work at a print- and repro-service, so I have acces to high
   quality equipment and material. I designed the icons in
   Adobe Illustrator, making the black so called "registration"-black;
   100% of all colors (so 100% Cyan, Magenta, Yellow AND Black together)
   to get an opaque finish. I printed this on a color laser printer
   at work on a transparent OverHead Projection sheet .The icons are
   left open in this, making them transparent. Even with the thick
   layer of toner on the sheet I had to carefully glue 3 layers of
   sheet on top of each other to get the icons to be the only thing lit.
   The window you see is smoked plexi I had laying around, without
   the backlight from the LEDs this works like a tinted window and
   you don't see what lies beneath.

Q- Is this hard to install?
A- Once I had figured out what I wanted? NO. The alarm-bit was hardest
   as this had to comply with the alarm's capabilities, so I used
   an optocoupler and an extra transistor. Unfortunately this required
   to have an extra power feed for the transistor, but this came from
   the harness from the clock together with the ground-connection.
   All other "signals" arte tapped off in the relay compartment by
   pulling spade-connectors, feeding a bare wire through the hole and
   then reconnecting the spade (or put the relay back in the socket).

Q- Do you have an Electronics degree?
A- No I don't, I just read a lot... Call me a Nerd (and proud of it).
   No, I do not wear taped glasses nor do I use a pocket protector :-P
   Anyway, 90% of this thing has NOTHING to do with electronics, it
   could be done with bulbs too, but it wouldn't look as cool or be
   maintenance free like LEDs are...

Q- Can/will you provide me with instructions
   and/or part# to make one of these things myself?
A- I can and I will, but this takes time; I got everything locally
   or from salvage. I'm in the Netherlands, so I'll have to research
   If and what is available in the USA or other parts of the world...

For now I THINK I've covered everything, if not just mail me  :-)
It could take a while before it get the part# and such as I'm a bit
like Walt; I have an enormous amount of ideas to work on and have
several under hand at the same time, some waiting for inspiration
or parts or whatever.
I just put together a list of what I'm WORKING on in some degree
and came up with 23 projects. This number does NOT include items
still in R&D-phase... of these 23, 19 are car-related and of those 19,
13 are meant to go onto Dagger sometime in the (distant(?))future.

Thanks for all the interest, it's really flattering to get this much
response to something that started out with just tinkering on my ESCORT
after it's engine allmost overheated. But that's another story...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:43:44 -0400
From: "bob.hlavacek" <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>
Subject: Rear NCT Tire Needed

My passenger side rear 15" NCT tireGot ruined because of an unintensional
over pressurization.  Not a catostrafic failure - I just heard a loudish
hiss at the rear of the car I couldn't pinpoint.  On the 3rd floor of
parking garage.

When I came back it was flat.  It failed on the inboard wall of the tire.  I
changed to the spare donut - got 70' - it was flat.  I had to sit & think.
Called a Firestone shop that was 2 blocks away and took the donut - they
pumped it up, I went back and put it on, then drove home 20 miles at 50 mph.

ADVICE:  Keep your donut spare at 60 PSI !  Mine looked and felt hard, but
looked a little low when it was put on and off the jack.  Like I said, it
was good for 70'.  I put the NCT in the passenger seat.  Will it fit
anywhere else?  Wisecracks will be graciously accepted.  There has to be
some fun in this.

Lastly,  I need a 15" rear, NCT tire.  Did anyone save an NCT when they put
on new tires?  I don't put on a lot of miles so anything with any usable
tread would be OK.  If you have one please email me at:

bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net   Or call: (203) 723-4884

Thank you,
Bob Hlavacek

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:00:36 -0000
From: "tp8534" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Suspension kit

Hey all,
     My twin turbo, VIN #16816, has the Houston suspension kit, four
shocks, four springs.  I have all the receipts for everything too.
For anyone that has seen it, you would agree it's much lower than
stock.  You can put one finger in between the tire and stainless
panels.  It's a great ride.  I think it has about 5,000 miles on it,
3,500 of which were to, in, and from Memphis.  I've been considering
modifications of a larger scale to my car and it's forced me to
redesign the suspension.  Rather than hack up this kit I've decided to
remove it from my car and sell it complete.  I'm looking for any
interested parties.  Please email me privately with any questions
and/or offers.

Thanks,
Matthew        mpolans(AT)creeper.com

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:51:30 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

I was unaware of this too, except when I worked at a car dealership a few
years ago, I was sent to jump start a customer's vehicle.  I've always jump
started other cars by having the cables on the battery terminals of the
running vehicle, and on the stalled car I hook one to the positive terminal,
and one on the frame or engine block as a ground.  The customer I went to
rescue basically told me I was stupid and that the live vehicle had to be
grounded and the dead one hooked up to both battery terminals. He said if I
did it my way it would blow up.  I kept quiet since I didn't want to argue,
but was surprised when his method actually worked.  Is this safe?  I know it
seems to work but I don't want to risk hurting the DeLorean in any way if I
have to use his method.  It just goes against all of the instructions I've
been shown all my life.

payne

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:20:29 -0700
From: "Michael G. Fischer" <michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com>
Subject: Shift Knob threads

Hey All,
	I'm toying with some ideas about changing my shift knob ... (and
considering the lovely Putsch ones too.)  But I was wondering if anyone
knows off the top of their head what the threads are on the shifter.  I
assume they are metric, but are the 8mmx1.25, 10mmx1.5  etc?

Mike
83 Cdn #17106

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:52:43 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Rear NCT Tire Needed

If the tire is inflated to 60 PSI, you'll immediatly see it. When
inflated, the tread will bow out and be round. It will look like a
donut. I've seen a lot of pictures on the internet of spare tires,
and they all have the same flat tread on the bottom. So that's a
quick way to see if it's got some pressure. The only true way of
course to check pressure is to use a tire gague.

Went thru the same exact senario not too long ago myself, and had to
carry the rear tire in the passenger seat. Lucily I was alone. I
figure that I'll need to get a luggage rack to carry the tire on the
rear of the car incase this happens again. Along with some bungee
cords to hold it in place, which I'm not too fond of. With all the
accessories that people love to engineer, an adaptor to attach to the
rear rack to secure the flat tire in place would be a great idea to
me.

Also, rather than just simply trying to look for a replacement NCT,
prehaps it is time to replace the whole set. If originality is
important, then put the tires into storage. Otherwise, 21+ year old
rubber is not going to perform as well as new tires would.

<SNIP>

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:20:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ulysses Stockdale <smoolie671_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Looking for parts........

If anyone would be interested in getting rid of their
damaged body parts send me an e-mail with what you
would want for them and we'll go from there.
Thanks!
Ulysses Stockdale

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:28:32 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Bob,

I am pretty sure Luke Sandel still has a rear NCT in great shape.
He still has it posted on his website, under his parts for sale.

http://labwww.csv.cmich.edu/luke/auto/delorean/forsale/NCT/

Hope this helps.