From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1130
Date: Friday, July 26, 2002 5:07 PM

1. garage door opener
From: ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com

2. Re: Re: Air conditioning
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Re: Shift Knob threads
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

4. Garage Door Openers
From: "Digital Devices" <delorean_at_dml_digital-devices.net>

5. Re: REAR MAIN OIL SEAL REPLACEMENT
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

6. Here a ground. There a Ground. Everywhere a ground ground.... (was DeLorean Jumpstarting)
From: "Phillips Jeff 1Lt AFCA/GCF" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_scott.af.mil>

7. my first flux capacitor
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

8. Towing/Car Transporter
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

9. I quit.
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: Towing/Car Transporter
From: "dursman" <dursman_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: Here a ground. There a Ground. Everywhere a ground ground.... (was DeLorean Jumpstarting)
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

12. Re: Towing/Car Transporter
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

13. Burgandy interior
From: greglinstad <greglinstad_at_dml_resrchintl.com>

14. D for sale in DE
From: Sandro Di Giacomo <sandro_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: Towing/Car Transporter
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Here a ground. There a Ground. Everywhere a ground ground.... (was DeLorean
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: Towing/Car Transporter (little lengthy)
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>

18. Re: Towing/Car Transporter
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: I quit.
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

20. Re: my first flux capacitor
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

21. Re: I quit.
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com

22. Battery Dangers.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

23. Re: Towing/Car Transporter
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Don't feed my car after midnight! Or else I get electrical gremlins!
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

25. Re: my first flux capacitor
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:01:05 GMT
From: ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: garage door opener

I remember that post too-

You can find it at yahoogroups.com from August 2000,
messages 10740, 10741

Jim

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:09:16 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Air conditioning

My brain seems to have skipped a groove in my first reply:

Usually the most basic check to ensure your A/C is OK is to see if
water condenses from the atmosphere on the low side.

Has anyone tried this on a D with its long run to the rear? I won't
see my own car until Saturday afternoon -- will try myself then.

Bill Robertson
#5939 (wish me luck -- I'm going to try to replace the passenger side
exhaust manifold gasket before driving south...)

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:42:44 -0400
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Shift Knob threads

The bolt is 8mm x 1.25.  I made a drawing and posted it to the photos
section of the DML Yahoo groups a few weeks ago hoping that someone like you
with such a question would be able to find the answer through the DML's
accumulated resources rather than asking the list.  However, I went to find
this so that I could send you a link to this drawing and it has apparently
been deleted even though it was an incredibly small B&W .gif file.

Go figure.
Walt

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:57:04 -0400
From: "Digital Devices" <delorean_at_dml_digital-devices.net>
Subject: Garage Door Openers

The local home depot here has the garage door openers.

I have one myself.

They fit perfectly in the ashtray

If anybody wants one.. just email me and I can pick one up for you

-Ken

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 06:00:25 -0000
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: REAR MAIN OIL SEAL REPLACEMENT

Lance - Do you think that oil from the leaking seal is contaminating
your clutch disk, and causing the premature wear?  That has gotta
suck!  My original clutch went 70K miles, with much spirited driving
and countless parades!  I now have a Centerforce clutch, which I
feel is superior to the OEM setup.  I looked in my documentation,
and don't have a part number for the seal, but I was shocked by your
clutch life (or lack thereof).  I hope that you get that sorted
out.  If I stumble across a part number tomorrow, I'll try to post
it.  Good luck.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_z...> wrote:
> This week I've had to remove the gearbox to replace a worn clutch.
Sadly, this is the third time the clutch has been replaced in three
years at great expense to the hip pocket. Beats me why it keeps
wearing-out ...

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:40:38 -0500
From: "Phillips Jeff 1Lt AFCA/GCF" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_scott.af.mil>
Subject: Here a ground. There a Ground. Everywhere a ground ground.... (was DeLorean Jumpstarting)

All this talk about where to connect jumper wires is foolish.  Electrically there is no difference where you connect your ground jumper as the negative terminal of the batery (regardless of jumper or jumpie) is directly bolted to the engine block.  Check it out for yourself.  And as the hip bone is connected to the thigh bone, so is the engine block to the frame and etc.  Granted if I was truely conserned that I had a bad gorund somewhere in my vehicle then I would try to connect as close to the battery terminals as possible when charging the battery, but as the car runs fine and I don't have electrical problems I always just use the post in the engine compartment and the largest piece of unpainted metal that my charger cable can reach.

Jeff

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:05:25 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: my first flux capacitor

Well I never thought it was that bad...  I mentioned I was going to pick up
my Delorean next week and I got hit with my first  "do it come with a flux
capacitor" comment  I don't own the car yet and it starts already...

Darkstar

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 07:17:09 -0400
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: Towing/Car Transporter

List,

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L I-6 engine.  I just put a class
three 5000lbs hitch on it from UHAUL.  QUESTION:  has anyone used a
UHAUL car transporter (all wheels off the ground) and would anyone know
about how much it AND the DeLorean weight together?

I tried to reserve one on UHAUL's web site and it said the Grand
Cherokee isn't heavy enough.....But if it can tow 5000 lbs, what's the
deal?  My car is at Rob's and will be ready soon.  I want to stop
bothering people for rides to New York from Maine.   The transporter
will hold a DeLorean, it's just the worry that the Jeep isn't up to the
task.

If there are other Jeep owners on the list and you have experience with
towing *please* let me know asap.

Thanks

Tom

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:19:40 -0400
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: I quit.

I have had enough accumulated frustration with the DML that I am formally
calling it quits, and I am not alone.  I have been corresponding via e-mail,
phone, and in person with various former DML contributors.  These others
have quit before me, and I have finally been dealt the last straw and am
quitting the DML myself.  I will still be a lurker like the others (provided
I haven't been "categorically banned" from the DML like the moderators have
threatened before) and occasionally answer e-mails off list like the others.
If there is something really bland and basic that shouldn't be censored out,
I might ask a question on the list to save from asking the vendors who are
already taxed to their limits.  However, it is very unpredictable what will
get censored and what won't.

The last discussion about oil changing that was dropped into the bit bucket
under the table was the last straw for another DML member and almost the
last straw for me.  What happened is this former contributor posted his
opinion, got challenged by other DML members and then was NOT allowed to
defend his opinion due to the moderators.  When my post on the subject
seemed to simply disappear, I took it in stride.  For me the last straw was
a deleted .gif to the photos section along with the accumulated frustration
of having other well intentioned posts censored into oblivion with no
accountability from the perpetrator.  There are other examples that I could
give of why other former contributors quit; however, I leave that up to
them.  And it is safe to assume that they know better than to try.
Censorship in "moderation" is a good thing.  But the moderators often nip
good conversation in the bud and never let other conversations get started.
For example, a thread that almost got going last year was about making a
real DeLorean stretch limo.  The moderators stopped it.  When I asked why,
they told me that it was an unrealistic thing to try.  Now that someone is
actually in the process of making one, they are letting posts through on the
topic.  Consequently, when I posted the message talking about the rumble
seat in a front engine DeLorean, I was wondering if it was going to make it
through.  I felt that I really had to choose my words carefully -- and for
good reason.

I lurk on the DOC list and envy their casual camaraderie and banter that
would never be allowed on the DML.  I have ignored other DeLorean related
mailing lists in the past because I have valued the DML in particular and
did not want to see other resources diminish or distract from a so-called
quality product that I have unsuccessfully tried to convince myself was the
DML every time one of my posts disappears.

If anyone cares to start or has already started an uncensored list or at
least one that allows all DeLorean related (and consequently most car
related) posts to make it through, preferably allowing cussing & fighting,
then let me know about it, and I will gladly join and contribute, though not
necessarily for the fighting.  Even though I have a good vocabulary, I would
enjoy the use of some common 4 letter word expletives on occasion.  The
moderators have let the word "shit" through a couple of times.  Anyone
search the archives for shit?

Well, this post has gotten long enough and probably won't make it through
anyway.  But I will say this: if it doesn't make it through unedited, then I
am NEVER posting to this list again -- even for simple shit.  And then
expect to see this letter on the welcome page to my web site which I'm sure
will be very popular.  Also expect to see a copy stuck on the side of my car
at the next major show.  Or are you going to try to ban me from that too?
Let's see... this post isn't about the "car" or the "man" or...  What were
the qualifications that the DML censors use?  Don't tell me.  I'm sure I can
find it in the archives.

DISCLAIMER: I am completely sober and haven't been smoking pot either.  So
don't ask me in the morning if I really mean what I say.  And if any of you
are relieved that freaks like me are off the list, then good for you.  You
can continue to participate in this lobotomized Utopian mailing list knowing
that your kiddies can safely read the "G" rated content where nothing ever
goes amiss except maybe under the bonnet.  You will find me elsewhere.

Walter Coe, Tampa, FL

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:19:14 -0000
From: "dursman" <dursman_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Towing/Car Transporter

Hey Tom,
I used a UHAUL car transporter (not for my DeLorean) and I think it
weighed either 2,000 or 2,500 pounds alone.  It is a very heavy duty
unit.  Also, our cars weight 2,800 lbs I believe.  So put them
together and it will range from 4,800 to 5,500 pounds depending on
actual weight of the transporter and weight of the car (gas, extra
parts, etc.)  I towed from Maine to Jersey with a 1990 full size Ford
Bronco and it did okay with about 6,000 pounds.  Towing the D on the
transporter might put a little extra stress on your Jeeps trans,
brakes, and engine... but if the trip is not too long you should make
it fine.  No guarentees though.  Good luck.

-Chris-
VIN 10213

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:56:29 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

<SNIP>All this talk about where to connect jumper wires is
foolish.</SNIP>

When given conflicting information, and no basis to judge it for
yourself, asking questions is not foolish.

On a "normal car", the reason the last connection should be to the
engine block, is because the last connection is the one that completes
the circuit and causes a spark. Since sparks and explosive battery
gasses (from charging/discharging) are not a safe combination, the last
connection made (and the first connection removed) should be the one on
the engine block (as far from the battery as reasonable).

On the DeLorean, making both connections in the engine compartment is
twice as safe.

Gary
www.IN2TIME.com

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:57:01 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Tom,

Fred Geerdink is the guy you want to contact, unless he is already
typing a response to your post.  Fred has transported several of my
Delorean project cars with a Jeep Cherokee and a flatbed trailer that
would not be catagorized as a "light weight" trailer by any means.
The trailered Deloreans have ranged from stock Deloreans transported a
few hundred miles, to transporting the 4x4 Delorean all the way from
Texas to Chicago, in the middle of winter.  On more than one occasion
there were a few moutains to traverse as well, including the trips to
the Branson area and to the York, PA area.  Fred said the Cherokee did
well under all these conditions.

As long as you have the Cherokee prepared well (trans cooler, etc.)
and everything is in good condition, it should do just fine.
Note: There are big differences with using a rental trailer vs. having
your own, well kept trailer.  There are also handling differences with
electric brakes vs. surge brakes, but that is for another topic.
In any case, there is no substitute for an experienced trailer driver
with their own well maintained equipment, especially transporting D's.
Fred's Cherokee has transported more Deloreans than anyone's I know.

BTW: Fred - I may have another car for you to transport soon.

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:17:02 -0700
From: greglinstad <greglinstad_at_dml_resrchintl.com>
Subject: Burgandy interior

With all the recent references to the Burgandy interior pieces, VIN# 10888, formerly owned by PNDC member Lane Hoggson, has a complete Burgandy leather interior. Lane had the original interior replaced with the Burgandy in the early 80's and has John DeLorean's signature on the dashboard. John signed the car while meeting with us in about 1986, and commented at that time that he really liked that look and had planned to offer that color in the 1983 model DeLorean. Lane's car with the famous DeLorean trailer that he had made is featured on the cover of DeLorean World, Vol 7, No 2, Summer, 1990, and additional pictures in an article inside where the Burgandy interior can be clearly seen. The car is now in a private collection in Oregon.
I also saw the previously mentioned Burgandy pieces while at KAYPAC in Ohio and also later in Houston.

Greg Linstad (humming an Elvis song)
PNDC.org
VIN# 3507

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sandro Di Giacomo <sandro_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: D for sale in DE

Over the course of my daily web-snooping I came across this D for sale:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/8/0/28337580.htm

It's close to my hometown and I'll be up there this weekend, so I'm going to give it a once-over.  If anyone wants to see my notes or wants me to check on something specific, please email me privately.  (Note: I have no financial interest in selling this car, just a friendly offer.)

Thanks,

--Sandro
sandro_at_dml_delorean.com

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email_at_dml_yourgroup.org by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:22:42 EDT
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

I used a car transporter from UHaul a few years back towing a D but I towed
it with a full size van with a class 3 hitch.  I remember when I called for a
reservation on the transporter, UHaul did not have the DeLorean in its
database and I had to give them the weight and dimensions to prove to them
that it will fit on the transporter but that was the only hurdle from UHaul.
It's been a few years but if I remember it correctly, you have to be careful
with the door cause the fender of the transporter will be blocking the door
after it is on completely.  The D I was towing wasn't running and I used a
come-along to load it and avoided the problem.  I also loaded it backwards
with the rear of the D going on first.  My reasoning was to give the hitch
some tougue weight to avoid the transporter from fishtailing at highway
speed.  If you are going to be towing it backwards like I did, one thing to
REMEMBER is to tape or tie down the rear sun hatch and the hood to prevent
the wind from reaping it off at highway speed.  Another thing to note is the
transporter has a surge brake system and you have to lock it before it can be
backed up.  I have to jam a piece of wood in it to prevent the brake from
activating when I need to back up.  You may want to check with the rental
place to see if there is a simplier way to deactivate the surge brake during
back-up.
I did get a lot of thumbs up and comments at the toll stops but otherwise it
was uneventful.
Good luck with towing.
Bill

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:29:53 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Here a ground. There a Ground. Everywhere a ground ground.... (was DeLorean

I think people jump as close to posts as possible to compensate for
usually small cables and unavoidable loss of conductivity between
bolted surfaces.

I'd be more concerned w/ alternator output than where I clamped the
cables.

Bill

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:42:10 -0400
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>
Subject: Re: Towing/Car Transporter (little lengthy)

The gentlemen may be right in saying that the Jeep isn't heavy enough.  The
ability to tow something as far as engine/transmission power is limited to
how much YOU (the towing vehicle) weighs.  You never tow anything heavier
than the towing vehicle.  The reason for this is mainly braking.  While
braking on a turn, things can get a little hairy.  The weight of the trailer
will push the truck further into turning, causing serious over steer (I
think that's the right term,  its when a little turn becomes a big turn).
Not only that, but hard braking causes the weight of the trailer to shift
forward, giving you a heavier tongue weight.  This pushes down on the
trailer hitch and lightens the weight on front of the truck, giving you less
steering traction.  So basically,  when the trailer is too heavy and you
make a right hand turn and brake hard, you end up with a turn that is too
tight with less traction to correct it.  The effects here will reduce the
lighter the trailer gets.  The only exception to this is when the trailer
has brake hookup to the towing vehicle.  18 wheelers and commercial vehicles
have this.  I seriously doubt the Jeep has this.  Someone respond to this if
there are any companies out there that has this hookup on a personal truck
(i.e. Toyota, Chevy, Dodge, etc).  The Hummer may have it, but that's an
extreme.

My suggestion is to first find out how much your "D" weighs probably with a
full tank of gas, fluids, and whatever else you will throw in the "D" during
transportation (AKA, the curb weight).  Then find the curb weight of the
Jeep.  Assuming that the "D" weighs less than the Jeep, the difference
between the two should be the maximum weight of the trailer.  Anything
heavier is a risk.  I have seen pics where the jackknife (the point in a
turn when the trailer hits the truck) was hard enough to slam the complete
right side of the truck and trailer into each other.  For the inexperienced,
here's a few tips:

    1) Try driving with just the trailer for a while.  Get the hang of the
weight, and get an idea of what the trailer ITSELF does on a turn and what
it does to YOU on a turn.
    2) Start by driving slower and ALWAYS look further down the road than
what you are used to.  Keep track of not what is just around you, but also
what is happening further down the road.  This is actually a good habit for
anybody.
    3) Increase your following distance.  Tailgating is 10 times worse with
a trailer.  Give yourself plenty of room to slow down.
    4) Add weight to the trailer.  See if you can find a donating lighter
car, add bricks, whatever. Pay attention to the effect the extra weight has.
It's only gonna get worse.  ;-)

I have had my fair share of experiences in the military with Humvee's, 2 1/2
tons, 5 tons, 10 tons, and fully tracked vehicles weighing up to 52 tons.
The only differences between a Humvee and a 52 ton M88 recovery vehicle is
the amount of steel moving and the speed at which things happen.  Things
move faster in a smaller truck.  The bigger they are, the inevitable just
happens slower.  The principles of over steer don't change.  Best of luck to
you, and remember to be safe.

Safety First
Environment Always

-Mike A.

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:52:42 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi,
We pull deloreans with our Jeep quite a bit for people.  Its a '98
Cherokee.  We added two leafs to the rear suspension and a
transmission cooler just to be safe.  And to give you an idea of what
we've pulled...we pulled the original D-Rex from Texas to Chicago
with no problem.
If you would like more info, email me privately.  I can give you all
the specs.

Erik

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:56:15 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: I quit.

Could any of this be attributable to Yahoo itself? I've been a member
of various "groups" since they were "clubs" ages ago (*THAT* was a
rough transition). Moderators are repeatedly apologizing for Yahoo
restrictions, rule changes, etc. Apparently space limitation is a
major concern -- and goodness knows all these messages chew up plenty
of that. Perhaps that explains some deletions.

I've sent a few posts that were never updated, but the moderator
eMailed me direct explaining why.

Didn't follow the oil threads because I've discovered years ago that
everyone has their own preconceived notions of viscosity (myself
included). IMHO weight is not the issue *REGULAR CHANGES ARE*. Oil
isn't that expensive -- don't wait until it turns to tar.

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:34:40 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: my first flux capacitor

Maybe we can make a list of quippy comebacks for this silly question.

Of course, it does take the "quip" out of it if you're waiting for
someone to say it!
Anyone interested in adding to the list can email me privately and I will
post later if I get any replies. :)

I'll start:

Comeback Quips for "where's the flux capacitor?"

1.  "ha ha, the last time I heard that one was next week"

Jim 1537

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:44:01 EDT
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com

I must admit that I tend to agree with Walt here. If it remotely pertains to
DeLoreans, let it through. There are several posts that don't interest me,
but I look at the subject line and determine if I want to glance the post for
useful information. There is a distinctive line between moderation and
censorship, and censorship is NEVER good.
Even a moderator's note regarding a post is OK to warn of "off-topic" or
potentially objectionable material occasionally. But to try and second guess
what I may find useful is not necessary. There are very few children who own
DeLoreans and this is not a Disney Mailing List, so let the free thought
flow. I don't need anyone protecting me from myself.

Walt's "column" has been at times a bit opinionated and slightly bazaar. But
more often than not, he has provided some very helpful advice to those of us
in need. Not everyone has the time to contribute as much as he has, and it's
a damn shame to lose his expertise.

I personally implore Walt to reconsider, and hope the moderators step back
and take a look at what's important here. The moderators (sorry to lump you
all together), should ask Walt to reconsider as well. This is a hobby that we
are all spending a great deal of our time and money to enjoy, let's try to
make it fun.

One last thought, EVERYONE has their own opinion and way of doing things,
that is what makes the world interesting. And, it's that attempt to be unique
that made the DeLorean automobile a reality in the first place. Don't throw
the baby out with the bath water.

Daniel Deutsch (Orlando)
3356 & 15779

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:45:12 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Battery Dangers.

Not so fast! Correct grounding points on a car are far from foolish when
jumpstarting a battery! I wanted to research this one first before I responded.
The danger is this: When a battery charges, it will give off hydrogen gas,
which is VERY explosive (the Hindenburg was inflated with it, and everyone
has seen the old newsreel it it catching fire. Although a car battery will not be
this severe). When you are jumpstaring a dead car, you are charging the
battery, it will give off hydrogen gas (the weaker the charge, the more gas that
will be given off). So the reason that you don't ground the connection to the
dead battery is that you don't want any sparks to accidenty ignite the
hydrogen gas. Sparks from when you connect the jumper cables, and if any
grease is on top of the battery that may possibly allow an arc. And of course
you don't want to simply attach the cable to anything else but a hoist point on
the engine. Anything else you will risk damage to. It's basicly an arc wleder
wich will ruin the paint, and will not give as clean of a ground connection (the
epoxy coating on the chassis for instance is a pretty good insulator). And
especially don't clamp the negative cable to a fuel line!

Now, as to why the negative cable must be connected to the live car, I don't
honestly know. If I were to guess, I would say it would be to provide proper
feedback to the alternator so it can give the correct output. A few hunderd
amps to start another vehicle is a far cry from a slight dim when you turn
normal accessories on. Or maybe it's so the battery can absorb electical
spikes, I don't know.

Over all, I've seen a few methods on the internet written on how to connect the
cables. But all of them list connecting the negative cable on the dead car to
the engin last! As usual, here is a reference page:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/2000/9/
jumpstarting/

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:50:41 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I can shed a little light on this because I have the same issue with a Ford
van I own.  It can be rated to pull the load but if it is not on U-Haul's
"approved" list of tow vehicles they won't rent you a trailer.  Finally
found a guy at U-Haul that explained this point.  Been there and done that.

My vehicle is rated to pull 6000 lbs if I used load distribution or 4000 w/o
(I have a transmission cooler and a 4L engine).  U-Haul  told me their
trailer was about 2000 pounds (not sure if that is bull or not) and
depending on what you read the D is 2500-3000 lbs.  This is what got my hair
raised because I still had a 1000 lb margin with the load distribution but
U-Haul said no anyway.

Next item is just because the tow system is rated for 5000 pounds that does
not me that the vehicle could actually tow that much weight.  Things like
terrain, transmission cooling, engine size, brakes, etc... come into play.
You vehicle could probably handle it but not w/o a great deal of strain.
Frequent or long distance trips would probably be a bad idea just because of
the 6 cyl engine alone.  Also I imagine you could toast your transmission
fairly easy too.

But hey, U-Haul will be happy to rent you the trailer AND tow vehicle.  At
least that's what they told me! :-)

My opinion for all its is worth.
Ed

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:07:23 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Don't feed my car after midnight! Or else I get electrical gremlins!

Ok, here's a new one. The lower the voltage in my car, the higher my tach
goes. I know this sounds off the wall, but this is the problem: The lower the
voltage in my car, the higher my tach goes. If I turn all accessories on, I can
get the voltmeter down to the second notch. And when I do this, the tach will
jump to 1500! The engine however doesn't increase speed. Is this just
another electrical hang-up the car has, or is this the sign that there may be
another problem?

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:36:38 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

What amazes me is the number of people who swear up & down I'm going
to get a "stainless steel car" (mine's still 400 miles away, but
tomorrow afternoon...) I try to correct them that it's actually a
plastic car merely skinned in stainless, but they have the nerve to
argue heatedly I don't know what I'm talking about. I tell them that I
own one of the things, and the usual response is "well, yours may be,
but I remember when they came out and the first ones were all
stainless." I've gotten this from the tire store (don't worry people
-- they'll get my rims, not the complete vehicle), counter folk at the
parts house, co-workers, and even dear old dad. Doc's parking lot
speech in the movie apparently did more harm than good.

Bill Robertson
#5939 *SOON*