From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1137
Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 5:42 AM

1. Re: Used 15' NCT Tire needed
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

2. Re: THE engine
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Carbon Fiber Brake Pads
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. tough transmission again
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

5. Wet D on the Inside
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

6. Re: Hilljacks
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: THE engine
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Brake Calipers, Tie Rod ends, Electrical Parts Source
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

9. Re: Brake Calipers, Tie Rod ends, Electrical Parts Source
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

10. Re: no start... UPDATE.. still in need of HEEEELp!
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

11. Re: Need help adjusting torsion bar (North Carolina)
From: jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: THE engine
From: JVC220_at_dml_aol.com

13. Used NCT's available
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

14. Re: Life as a DML Moderator
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:01:03 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Used 15' NCT Tire needed

Dave is right about the NCT's.

If you put some new rubber on the car, the ride quality will improve
dramatically.  After I recommissioned my car, which had been in storage for
+10 years, I drove from Mobile to Los Angeles and back.  I had the original
NCT's, 16 years old on the car.  The car rode terrible, but I did not
realize how bad it was until I but New Yokohama's on.

New tires are well worth the expense, especially when you consider what
would happen if you had a catastrophic blowout on the interstate.

Keep the shiny side up.

Scott Mueller

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:22:02 EDT
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: THE engine

In a message dated 7/30/02 4:45:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I am writing because I would like to receive some feedback.
> I just purchased an 81 D and I love the car. After reading almost all
> the tech's, specs, and everything else I came to the conclusion that
> Delorean car can NOT stay in the past! I am going to push my D into
> the future! How you ask? I am sick and tired of those little things
> ie. I cant make a 3 point turning movement, cold start problems, hot
> start problems, dash lights dont work, radio sucks...geeezes! The
> technology in the early 80's wasnt as good as today, we all agree on
> that. The D was the marvel of its time, I think we all agree on that
> also, but we have moved! I will bring my car up to date with this
> awesome technology. First is first. The Delorean needs a power plant
> that can show the world that it can keep up if not beat cars of its
> class like the Corvette or the Porshe. I am putting the all aluminum
> 32 valve Northstar engine that produces 300hp stock and weighing only
> 50lbs more (give or take few lbs).
> With the 2700lb weight of the Delorean and 300hp engine I will expect
> nothing less than at least 0-60 in 6 second flat, if not less! Next
> the power steering has to be installed (sorry), need to think "high
> speed, low drag", you dont see Ferrari without a power steering do
> you? . ABS breaks is a must also. The dashboard lacks tons of
> updates. The physical appearence will be redone up to the Lamborghini
> looks (so beautiful) I am planning on installing the digital cluster
> out of the 89 Corvette. Now thats what will make the car! I am
> thinking about basically updating the D with Corvette's parts. My car
> wont die in a museum somewhere but it will live and prosper with all
> the other big boys on the streets. Whoever wants my engine let me
> know, Im sure its still good and outdated, only 67K miles.
> Thnx for reading and I didnt mean to offend anyone, but I think
> someone had to say it.
> Any comments, suggestions or questions feel free to e-mail me
> VegasCop1_at_dml_aol.com
>
> This car will be a very badd sleeper.
>
> Thnx,
> Ski VIN 4649.

Ski,
Good for you and if that is what pleases you GO For IT. Not my preference but
I will be as much in awe of your creation as I am the concourse winners. The
Idea is to do what pleases you, not me or the other members of this list. I
can't wait to see it.
Ralph
Vin1606

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:38:25 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Brake Pads

This enterprising firm is just offering aftermarket pads for a mark 1 Ford Cortina and a
1979 Jag XJR. I have my doubts about their claims too, especially at that price.

That's my guess, anyway.

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:47:19 -0400
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: tough transmission again

After my last post I took some peoples advice and sprayed wd40 on the
linkage.  It solved my problem for about 2 days, but the problem is back
again.  It is very difficult to move the shift lever left to right or right
to left.  Do i need to put some all purpose grease on it or what?

Thanks
  Willie

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:53:35 -0400
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Wet D on the Inside

I posted a couple of weeks ago about the inside of my delorean flooding
during a rain storm, while it was parked.  After that incident I took the
seat out and pulled the carpet out to allow it to dry.  So i've been driving
around for a while with no passenger seat, it rained again last week, and
again I noticed that I got about 1/2 inch of water that collected by the
battery compartment.  I noticed that there were no water marks  or wet spots
coming from the ceiling to the floor.  The side carpet was wet about an 1
inch up.   So my question is where is the water coming from?

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:07:06 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Hilljacks

These are the jacks one uses only when changing your flat tire on a hill. You
(Scott) mean yours didn't come with them? Sorry people but I could not let
this one go by.... Everone stop take a deep breath and try to get along. As
for messages not making it thru, I have had a few and the moderators
havealways sent me an email explaining why. Thank you guys for the effort you
put into this list and for posters, remember the car is the reason we are all
recieving the DML. A few messages may come thru that some people think should
not, but overall I am happy with the way this forum runs.
Bruce Battles
Vin# 06569

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:01:36 -0000
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Everything you've described has been done (except for the power
steering I think) Some one contracted Dakota Digital to custom make
a digital dash for the Delorean, American Custom engines has already
installed a Northstar engine, front brakes at least have been
updated with ventilated cross drilled brakes, etc..

Steve

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:02:03 EDT
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Brake Calipers, Tie Rod ends, Electrical Parts Source

In a message dated 7/30/02 5:41:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

<< They have an updated brake system on their
 website for the front that consist of 2 vented rotors along with two
 4 piston calipers, hoses, updated pads, etc. I would be interested
 in that.  >>

Now you got the idea !!!! :-)
If the TR6/TR7/Spitfire with the TR6 Girling type 16 caliper bolts up, and
better yet if any of the rotors are the same, then brake upgrades become
almost a no brainer....

Besides, the steering column, switches, steering racks , universal joints,
and tie rod ends all look like they came from the same parts bins Triumph was
using.

Does anyone have OEM front brake rotor dimensions so I don't have to pull
mine off?
If so I'd be glad to find out if anything Rimmer Bros offers is a direct bolt
on. Or better yet, Martin, why don't you take a walk over there and let us
over here in the Colonies know what the scoop is?
Jim 6147

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:23:50 EDT
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

Here's another new source....www.dmc-service.nl
Holland...

Cat test pipes (Hiervoor heeft DMC-Service een katalysatorvervanger gemaakt
die zonder problemen te monteren is.)

    Vented rotor and soft compound pad sets (Een geperforeerde en
geventileerde schijvenset compleet met adapterset en soft compound
remblokken. )

Shocks (gasdempers schokbrekers)  etc...

As you can probably tell the site is not in english

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:32:10 EDT
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: no start... UPDATE.. still in need of HEEEELp!

In a message dated 7/30/02 10:10:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
delorean_at_dml_digital-devices.net writes:

<< If I try to start it again... and I physically hold the intake on the
 mixture control unit down ... it will run...
   But as soon as I let it go . klunk .. turns off
     What do you pro's have to say?

EFI ?    ;-)

Jim 6147

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:24:25 EDT
From: jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Need help adjusting torsion bar (North Carolina)

I adjust the bars by myself. The trick is to remove the rear louver panel so
you can use a breaker bar and hex socket with no extension bar on the socket.
I cannot imagine using the extension bar the way they do it and get so much
flex in the bar. That scares me.I use a broom handle to support the door, and
my shoulder to support the breaker bar with a steel pipe extension on it. My
doors used to sag but now open wide even on cold days.

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:05:03 EDT
From: JVC220_at_dml_aol.com

I am restoring an 83 Delorean and recently took compression numbers on the
engine and the results were devastating.  How much are you sellling the
engine for?  Also where are you located (I am in Florida).  Also wanted to
tell you what a cool thing it is you are doing with your D.

Thanks,

Adam S.

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:09:23 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Used NCT's available

Never realized there was such a demand for used NCT's.

Am driving my fine new ride south (North Carolina) tomorrow. Is
equipped with "Eagle NCT's". Don't know if these are the NCT's
everyone wants, but if they are they will be available by the weekend
(am going to swap for the Eagle GT's already waiting at home). Car
has 114,000 so they obviously aren't original. Beaucoups of thread.
Some spider cracks in the sidewalls, but certainly nothing that would
remotely reveal fabric. No annurisms (sp?). Had flat spots but those
rounded out nicely w/ 450 miles already driven.

Anybody want 'em? (I might eagerly trade for a torsion bar
adjustment...)

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:28:41 -0400
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>
Subject: Re: Life as a DML Moderator

[Moderator Note:  FURTHER "ME TOO" RESPONSES TO THIS WILL BE REJECTED.  However, the moderators do like to keep our subscribers happy.  Both private email and the "Polls" section are available to you at any time.
 - Mike Substelny, DML moderating team]

This is a beutiful idea.  It will give us a chance to see all the garbage
very simply, without creating a whole new page.  This will give the people
who leave an idea of what it will be like unmoderated, and it will only last
for one day.  Maby two if they let it go that far.  Simple, cheap, and
effective.  Are there any others who agree with me?

-Mike