From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1146
Date: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 3:23 AM

1. northern va sighting
From: wmack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

2. Question about steel bottle
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

3. D's currently on e-bay
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Cooper sealing gaskets
From: "johnsdmc12" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Delorean Spotted
From: ThmsCrai_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Question about steel bottle
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Transmission blowing fuse!
From: "nbrommer2k" <nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com>

8. RE: what kind of turbo?
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

9. BTTF Car, Tiptronic (WAS: THE engine)
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

10. Re: Delorean Spotted
From: Paul Salsbury <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

11. Re: Question about steel bottle
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

12. Supercharger
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. what some people will do......!!
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

14. Re: Transmission blowing fuse!
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. D in another Magazine!
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Re: Question about steel bottle
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

17. Re: left fender info
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

18. Re: Re: Question about steel bottle
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. Darryl's AC fan mod
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. RE: D in another Magazine!
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

21. Re: Question about steel bottle
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Question about steel bottle
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

23. Rear Defrost switch internals please....
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

24. RE: northern va sighting
From: "Arthur William Eshoo" <arthure9_at_dml_attbi.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:12:11 -0400
From: wmack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: northern va sighting

My sister last week spotted a Delorean at the Lansdowne Golf Resort outside
Ashburn last week, it had Connecticut tags on it.  Is that person on the list?

Thanks
  Willie

Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 23:46:24 EDT
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Question about steel bottle

I just realized that the steel coolant bottle is much larger than the
original DeLorean one.  Do you have to remove the metal "air tube"
to the left of the bottle to fit these in?  If so, what do you replace
it with?

They look great though!  Whoever makes then does a pretty good
job.

Richard

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 12:00:24 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: D's currently on e-bay

Hi,
There's about 3 Deloreans on ebay right now that are about 30 miles
from my house.  If anyone on the DML is interested in any of them,
and would like me to check them out, please email me.

Erik

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:08:42 -0000
From: "johnsdmc12" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Cooper sealing gaskets

Group, For several weeks I have been asked to put together a cooper
sealing gasket kit for the fuel lines. It's now on the hardware page
of the web site. If your not aware of the other kit I put together
for the O rings. It's also on the page.
John Hervey
specialtauto.com

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:20:42 EDT
From: ThmsCrai_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Delorean Spotted

Hi
Spotted a silver delorean in St Neots, (cambridgeshire)
wondered if this person is on the list cos it was a sweet car

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 14:23:43 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Question about steel bottle

The "standard" metal bottle sold by the venders comes in S/S or
aluminum. It is approximatly the same size. Half of the bottle fits
inside the bracket so when the bottle is out of the car it appears
larger. They fit with no alteration to the car. I recomend you also
add a coolant recovery bottle because you cannot see how much coolant
is in the system. If you keep the header bottle full and let it
overflow into the recovery bottle then you can watch the level just
like on a modern car. I mounted mine on the left pontoon and ran a
hose from the nipple under the pressure cap to the recovery bottle.
 I replaced mine not for looks but because the origional header bottle
ages and cracks.

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 15:01:52 -0000
From: "nbrommer2k" <nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Transmission blowing fuse!

Hello all,

My auto transmission went out on my car a few months ago, and finally
a new one is in the car. Here's the problem: Every time it shift out
of first, the transmission fuse blows. Discuss.

Nick

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:34:13 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: what kind of turbo?

I can't give an educated answer, but I can talk from experience specific to DeLoreans.

06068 had a Island turbo kit on it (Blow-By, as you say), compared to 01860 which has the Legend engine (Blow through).  The Legend is running about 2Lbs more then the Island (it could probably take more, but I don't want to risk damage to the engine!), so it may be an unfair comparison but the Legend has less lag than the Island setup.  Both engines use the same turbochargers,  but the engines themselves are very different internally so you decide if it is a accurate comparison or not.

On the Legend setup, the turbos have no restriction from the atmosphere (other than the air filter).  The restriction is downstream at the throttle plate.  This configuration may allow the turbos to create a positive boost on the pressure plate when they are not wide open.  When the throttle is snapped (lets say you go from 2K rpm to 4K rpm) there is already a bit of boost there to get it going faster.  Kind of like releasing the Hoover Dam (Well, maybe not that big!)  The only drawback of this system is there is not a good place to pull vacuum (for the brake booster, auto transmission, AC controls, and so on).

The Island setup has the turbos placed downstream from the throttle plates.  This system restricts air to the turbos and does not allow there to be a positive boost "ready to go" on demand..  Of course, there is plenty of vacuum between the throttle plates and turbo's!

Hopefully someone else will have more detail than I do.

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:56:58 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: BTTF Car, Tiptronic (WAS: THE engine)

Some confusion...

Bob, the owner of the "97 DeLorean" has a V8 Rover engine in it with a Tiptronic transmission in it of the 4 speed variety.  His car was at Ken's 1998, and 2000 show.  Bob decided to come to 2002 without the car.

2002 has a new addition to BTTF modified cars, I believe this is the one Oliver is talking about below.

I have heard discussion about putting the ZF 5 or 6 speed automatic units (Also called tiptronic by Porsche) in to DeLoreans, but have never seen it done.  I suspect the frame would need modification to fit the larger gear box.  I agree, this would be cool to see with some of the engine conversions.

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:57:31 +0100 (BST)
From: Paul Salsbury <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Spotted

Yep I'm here, That was me, I live in St Neots

Cheers

--- ThmsCrai_at_dml_aol.com wrote: > Hi

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 17:16:33 -0000
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Actually that brings up another question. It is often stated that it
is important to change the header bottle becaust the plastic one
fails. I've seen dozens/hundreds(?) of these, and they often look
pretty bad (yellow, "crazed"), but I've never actually heard first-
hand of someone who's had one fail under operation. This system is
commonly used on other euro cars of the same era (notably BMW/SAAB)
and it is not common on those cars to consider this a must-replace
item.

Just wondering if anyone on the list has really, first-hand, seen one
of these fail.

Dave Swingle (Yes - changed mine to a SS bottle too - and still have
a perfectly good but slightly yellow plastic one around here
somewhere)

----

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:25:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Supercharger

Some time ago there was a picture of two of the
supercharger installed on a D.  I have searched the
archives and have not found it.  If anyone has a
picture of two, could you email them to me.

I am specifically interested in the attachment of the
supercharger to the throttle body.  I am told the air
meter was from a 70 Rabbit but that a collar had to be
made to slip over the throttle body to enlarge it to
the size of the interior diameter of the air meter.

Help?

Dick Ryan

http://health.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:40:07 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: what some people will do......!!

I just felt you had to see this, over the weekend I have replaced the fans,
fan cowl and radiator on my car. Previous to this the car did not have a fan
cowl but some wacky welding  of metal strips and two odd fans. I've added
the shots to the end of my site.

Cheers
Paul & Mel

www.paul.salsbury.btinternet.co.uk

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 19:56:33 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission blowing fuse!

NOT GOOD!!!! The first thing to look for is if the wiring to the shift
computer is damaged, caught in something, or burnt up on an exhaust
pipe. Also check the wiring on top of the motor to the switches by the
throttle spool, the kick-down switch in particular. Make sure you are
using the correct size fuse, too small and it won't hold, too big and
the wiring and shift computer may get damaged. It could be that the
wiring to the solenoid in the trans is grounded. To test use a meter
to see if there is any continuity to ground on the coils. Check the
resistance on the coils, there should be a small amount, I don't
remember the exact amount, but the two coils should be roughly equal.
If one is a complete short check the wiring first, the coil may be
alright, just the harness is bad. Don't install another shift computer
until you find the problem, you may damage it if the trouble is a bad
solenoid.

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:45:34 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: D in another Magazine!

Pick up a copy of Source magazine.  I believe it is a photography
magazine.  The D looks very nice.  There is a european lic. plate on
the front.  Anyone have a photoshoot recently with Source magazine?

Erik

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:05:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Question about steel bottle

Yep, it happened to me. I was on the highway at night and steam started
pouring out of the back of my car. It actually reminded me of the steam
that shot out of the BTTF car, but I digress. I had the car towed home,
took the header bottle out, and couldn't find a crack. I took it inside
and poured water in it, and it held water fine (remember though, it wasn't
under pressure). Since it looked like hell, I decided to put a stainless
bottle in. Swapping the bottles did the trick and now the coolent system
holds pressure.

Just one of my misadventures.

-Christian

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 21:07:04 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: left fender info

Mark,

I have heard several stories over the years and there is one that
does sound more feasible than the others.  Not sure where or when
I heard this story first, but I think I heard it again recently,
being told by a former DMC employee at the Houston pre-open house
event last August.  As the story goes, numerous crates of right
front fenders were marked as left front fenders when sent to the
DMC plant in Ireland.  The fender inventory was "counted" while
the fenders were still enclosed in the crates, so there was no
visual verification, only the anticipated numbers and type were
recorded.  It was only later when KAPAC acquired the remaining parts
from the factory that some crates were identified as containing
right front fenders instead of left front fenders.

Note this is only a brief summary of the story behind the myth.

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:24:20 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Both Stephen Strelczak and Chris Parnham have independently had theirs explode as a
result of the fans not kicking in, and not having self-bleeder kits. I'm guessing the
coolant boils in the lines creating a bubble in the water pump, stopping it working.

My '89 Citroen BX has a coolant bottle which is made of the same stuff. It has survived
the head gasket going and all the coolant blowing out through the cap, but it's MUCH
thicker material, and is made in two halves with a clip that holds it together around the
middle, though this has never split. It has 181,000 miles on it and is a diesel.

I recommend making absolute sure your temp guage works, know where the fans should kick
in on it, and wire up the fan-fail light so it turns on when the fans turn on.

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:31:48 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Darryl's AC fan mod

Hi All

I just wanted to draw your collective attention to the article in the
DMCnews Tech section written by Darryl Tinnerstet and ?? McElraft

My AC is a bit low on R12 and I didn't like how hard it was hammering
the fan relay. I remembered seeing this article and realising that my
Xantia runs its fans continuously when the AC is on, I wondered why the
DeLorean's cycles continuously? Anyone?

Here's the article

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/coolfan.htm

Now I'm not the sort of person who would take on a job like this without
understanding what I'm doing. Rest assured it took me about 10 minutes
and makes perfect sense.

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:43:11 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: D in another Magazine!

<SNIP> Pick up a copy of Source magazine. </SNIP>

I found their website with the picture.
http://www.source.ie/is31edit.html

Gary
www.IN2TIME.com

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:01:53 -0000
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I've had an unpleasant experience with a plastic bottle cracking.
The bottle was on my Jeep, It pretty much has the same setup as the
Delorean...sealed Radiator and a plastic coolant bottle (pressurized
closed system). My bottle cracked spilling fluid everywhere. I've
also repaired other Jeeps where the bottle actually ruptured
spraying antifreeze all over the windshield. Heat is one of the
factors that "dries out" the plastic (yellow discoloration, becoming
brittle) plus with all the expanding and contracting it goes through
it's only a matter of time for it to just crack.

Steve

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:20:42 -0000
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Dave - Yes, I have first hand information on a failure.  Interestingly
enough, the bottle had split down the middle at the casting seam,
rather than at the "crazed area" near the aft upper end of the bottle.
The car (see "resurrected barn relic") apparently had a history of
overheating, which lead to it's being parked in the barn.  The real
problem turned out to be a failed bolt on one of the water
distribution pipes under the intake manifold.  The bolt has been
repaired.  But, I had to donate my original plastic bottle to the
cause to get the relic on the road.  As with most D owners, I replaced
mine proactively when I heard that it was a "must replace" item.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:52:41 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Rear Defrost switch internals please....

I accidentally opened up my rear defroster switch while re installing my
center console, and some of the internal "guts" of the switch got
jumbled up and are now loose.

Can anyone provide a GOOD digital picture or diagram of the inside of
the switch so that I can fix mine?

Here is a picture of what I have in front of me to work with.please help
if you can!
http://www.abato.net/defswitch.jpg

Thanks!!

Kevin Abato

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:02:01 -0400
From: "Arthur William Eshoo" <arthure9_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: RE: northern va sighting

Yes I'm on the list.  I was there for some company sponsored training.

Arthur Eshoo

My sister last week spotted a Delorean at the Lansdowne Golf Resort
outside
Ashburn last week, it had Connecticut tags on it.  Is that person on the
list?

Thanks
  Willie

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to