From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1167
Date: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 8:45 PM

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: Breaking it
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Breaking it
From: "Christopher M. Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

3. RE: Re: Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

4. Re: Re: Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion
From: <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

5. Re: Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>





Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:39:04 -0000
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Breaking it

My brake lights went out a couple of months ago.  There were 
basically four things I needed to check (otherwise I was going to 
need to do a lot of wire checking):

1) Maybe The circuit boards connections are bad.  I'd heard these 
were a problem, but I didn't think this was the case because (I 
assumed) it wouldn't explain all 4 lights going out at the same time.
2) The bulbs...Likewise with (1), it wouldn't explain them all going 
out at once.  I tested the bulbs anyway.
3) A fuse.  I checked and replaced just to make sure, but that wasn't 
the problem.
4) The switch.

Sure enough, it was the last thing I checked (the switch).  After 
taking the switch off I noticed that the switch was stuck in the "in" 
position (obviously, since the lights were off).  I used pliers and 
quite a bit of force to get it un-stuck, but it didn't work after 
that.  Ordering a new one was quick, easy, and cheap (I guess), and 
installing it took about 5 minutes.

Aaron
#1506





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 2
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:22:14 +0100
From: "Christopher M. Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Breaking it

Thanks for the theories flying in about my lack of break lights.  I will try
cleaning the connections on the boards.  Without a circuit diagram I can
only act on the hunch that if it was a board problem then at least one set
of my break lights lights would be working.  All other aspects of the boards
such as the indicators etc all work as normal on each of the 2 boards.

I hope to clean the connections tomorrow night and check the switch.  I can
see that it isn't stuck, I guess like Aaron's situation the switch is
probably well and truly dead...

I will post my findings

Chris H.
#5255

----- Original Message -----
From: aaron_t_graham <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: [DML] Breaking it


> My brake lights went out a couple of months ago.  There were
> basically four things I needed to check (otherwise I was going to
> need to do a lot of wire checking):
>
> 1) Maybe The circuit boards connections are bad.  I'd heard these
> were a problem, but I didn't think this was the case because (I
> assumed) it wouldn't explain all 4 lights going out at the same time.
> 2) The bulbs...Likewise with (1), it wouldn't explain them all going
> out at once.  I tested the bulbs anyway.
> 3) A fuse.  I checked and replaced just to make sure, but that wasn't
> the problem.
> 4) The switch.
>
> Sure enough, it was the last thing I checked (the switch).  After
> taking the switch off I noticed that the switch was stuck in the "in"
> position (obviously, since the lights were off).  I used pliers and
> quite a bit of force to get it un-stuck, but it didn't work after
> that.  Ordering a new one was quick, easy, and cheap (I guess), and
> installing it took about 5 minutes.
>
> Aaron
> #1506
>
>
>
>
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> moderator_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
> To search the archives or view files, log in at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>
>




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 3
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:21:15 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: Re: Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion

I discovered a similar problem when I got caught in a heavy rain storm for
the first time. I ended up with a deep pool of water in the passenger
floorpan. Along with having the drain hole be over the fuel pump, the fuel
lines run through the same area. To keep the fuel lines from rattling around
they put in a big chunk of foam to hold them tight inside the body. On my
car, the foam also blocked the drain hole. 

To fix this, I wedged half a ZIP drive case between the foam and the drain
hole. A CD case would work, but the ZIP drive case is smaller and less prone
to being deformed by the foam, plus the ZIP case has 3 sides so you can have
just the bottom side open to deflect the water down. Now the water pours
down BEHIND the fuel pump boot.

Ken
=======================================================
Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA  VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/montkw/delorean/index.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
Keeper of the International DeLorean Owners Directory
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com
=======================================================


> -----Original Message-----
> From: content22207 [mailto:brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net]
> Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 10:47 PM
> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [DML] Re: Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion
> 
> 
> In a fit of brilliance, DMC placed the drain for the windshield trough
> directly above the fuel pump. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to
> see where all the water comes from. Very high on my list of priorities
> is to engineer a gutter on mine to drain that water away (and yes, I
> won't make it restrictive to catch any more tree detrius).
> 
> Will post the result as soon as I finish my electrical mods (remember
> the great tail light project...)



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 4
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:37:18 -0700
From: <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion

I wonder how many cars do not have a PLENUM DRAIN TUBE, P/N 101957 installed. 
Under $10.00 from your favorite DeLorean supplier.

Hank Breer
1141

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net> wrote:

> In a fit of brilliance, DMC placed the drain
> for the windshield trough directly above the
> fuel pump. Don't need to be a rocket scientist
> to see where all the water comes from. 



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 5
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:44:43 -0500
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion

Another problem with fuel pump electrical terminals is the fact there are
three different metals brought together with electrical current and
sometimes moisture present. Electrolysis is a common  problem with boaters
for this reason. Using plenty of die-electric silicon on the connections
after they've been tightened helps a great deal to prevent problems like
this.

Bruce Benson




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________



Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/