From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1182
Date: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 5:05 PM

1. [ADMIN] Reminder about games
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

2. Re: Hoping to purchase my first DeLorean, but need some insight
From: "samalex1701" <sam_at_dml_totallynerd.com>

3. Re: Re: Gas leak
From: Aaron King <floodle_at_dml_softhome.net>

4. Re: Constant tripping of the cooling fan breaker
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

5. RE: Constant tripping of the cooling fan breaker
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

6. The D gods granted me wish #1...
From: "argent486" <argentum_at_dml_hit.net>

7. Just too costly, now after i made myself look foolish...
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Just too costly, now after i made myself look foolish...
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

9. RE: Just too costly, now after i made myself look foolish...
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

10. Re: Constant tripping of the cooling fan breaker
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: The D gods granted me wish #1...
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Constant tripping of the cooling fan breaker
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Re: Gas leak
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. Cooling fan circuit breakers
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. Re: Re: Gas leak
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

16. Delorean Mid Atlantic Club Fall Foliage Tour III Details!
From: "iguanajade" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

17. Advice and help for a D for sale in las vegas
From: "vrt10whips" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Brakes.
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

19. Fall Tour Corection!
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. RE: DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour III
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

21. Re: [ADMIN] Reminder about games
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. Re: Cooling fan circuit breakers
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. DeLorean on Ebay
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

24. Binnacle rattling (?)
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

25. My car needs some DeLorean wiring
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:16:41 -0500
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: [ADMIN] Reminder about games

Touchy area - Reminder - this is not a video game discussion group. We'll
allow mentions of DeLoreans generally once as new games come out, etc.
Follow-ups that do not introduce new info will be dropped w/ no comment.
There is plenty in the archives about the old games.

Dave (this weeks moderator)

Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:58:02 -0000
From: "samalex1701" <sam_at_dml_totallynerd.com>
Subject: Re: Hoping to purchase my first DeLorean, but need some insight

Hi..

Thanks everyone for the replies and awesome info.  Since I made my
first post a few days ago, I've gotten much information via email, the
DML, and various websites.  I've decided I will own a D eventually.
Until then, I'm ordering the manuals and books to start reading-up.

One person asked where I heard about the fiberglass breaking... I got
that from someone in #cars in IRC, so I wasn't sure how reliable it
was... I guess not very.

Also, someone else commented that letting the car sit is very bad.
Once I get a D and have it running, it'll get it's fare share of road
time, just not to the local WalMart or to work :)  I'll drive it to
friends houses and around town on the weekends and off days while
using my daily driver for everything else.

Thanks again for the great insight and info.  Take care...

Sam
sam-at-totallynerd.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., dherv10_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Sam, If you have been reading the DML list for a while you'll see we
very
> seldom talk about having engine problems except trying to increase
HP cheap.

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:10:06 -0700
From: Aaron King <floodle_at_dml_softhome.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Gas leak

Group,

Thanks for your responses.  Mark and I figured out that the gas was not
leaking from the copper washers, but from the place where the hose meets the
cold start valve.  The hose seems to come off that barb thing rather easily
too.  So now I need a new hose I guess.  Does anyone know of a
cross-reference for this hose (part# 102348 I believe)?  I'll get it from a
DeLorean vendor if I have to, but I'd rather not pay $41.61 for this short
length of hose.  Also, to install it, do I just jam the hose on the end of
that thing sticking out of the cold start valve?  I noticed that they don't
have a hose clamp or anything, so do they self-seal or something?

Thanks!

Aaron King
Bothell, WA
vin#1217

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:24:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Constant tripping of the cooling fan breaker

I am experiencing the exact same problem... but have the Fan Fix. What's the deal?
Louie Golden
#10115 Sanford, NC

This

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:39:19 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

Ken,
Check and clean the fan ground wire.  If the ambient temperature is high and
the car is heat soaked, you have reduced the circuit breakers capacity.  The
breaker trips when the bimetal strip reaches a certain temperature.
Bypassing the breaker will not hurt the car or your fans, since the fan
circuits are protected by the fuses in the fan zilla.  Do a search of the
achieves for "Fatal Flaw".  I had the same problem with my breaker.  If you
take the breaker out of the circuit, the Fan zilla will now work properly
and light the "fan fail" indicator if you blow a fuse.

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031

Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 23:01:19 -0000
From: "argent486" <argentum_at_dml_hit.net>
Subject: The D gods granted me wish #1...

Thanks for the replies so far...

To update my story some blame has to point on myself. Any battery
will only take so much cranking until it gets low. Decided to let it
charge up slowly for a good 24 hours. First turn of the key today I
had fuel pump buzzing and seconds later it started. Nothing feels
better after 2 months of troubleshooting. Drove it for 20-25 minutes
and it ran great. I would recommend the D150 alternator and Fan Fail
Fix 2x2 from John Hervey. I saw a definate improvement in power,
never dipped below 14V. Sadly I'm on to round two and probably the
cronic illness this car has, and why it was parked long ago...

It was running great for half an hour or so and while cruising my car
died suddenly. Just like something electric went out instantly.
Parked on a side street and turned the key, fuel pump works this
time. No fuses blown, all the gauges looked good at the time. It just
won't fire. I had my multimeter in the back so I did a resistance
check on the pulse coil - 715 ohms. Thought this was a bit high. Over
the next couple minutes it lost an ohm a minute. I suspect it is
getting heated up and flaking out on me. Came back two hours later,
read 650 ohms and dropping. Is this normal or should it read 600+/-
all the time???

It's back safely in the garage, left me stranded again... but the
first half hour drive in two months felt great. Drive stainless when
you can. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks again!

Matt Metzinger
Arkansas City, KS 67005
VIN 961 - KS Tag: TIMELES

Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 23:17:54 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Just too costly, now after i made myself look foolish...

Dear DML,

The people who responded about me building a DeLorean out of parts
were complely on the money.  My measly 17k to put a car together
would have put me at least 80 grand in debt.  It was a very nice
thought, but until i win the loto its basicly impossible to be done.

On another note, i guess i will have to look for my own "USED" car,
so I am back looking for a car.  But i will take my time and save
another 3 or so grand before i start activly looking once more so I
can get an even better car.

However, I do have a hypotetical question which people may respond
too.  Say I had a car that ran quite well, and i decided to put her
up for the winter, and not even turn her over once for, oh say 6
months.  What else do i do besides drain the gas out of the tank to
keep the fuel system from rusting/rotting?

Anyway, take care, and Sorry John, i wish i could do it.

Tommy Porter

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:23:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, treehouse2000us wrote:

> too.  Say I had a car that ran quite well, and i decided to put her
> up for the winter, and not even turn her over once for, oh say 6
> months.  What else do i do besides drain the gas out of the tank to
> keep the fuel system from rusting/rotting?

If the gas was relatively new when it went into storage, 6 months isn't
going to hurt anything.  Just disconnect the battery.  You might put it up
on blocks to keep the tires from getting lumpy.  If you wanted you might
add some fuel stabilizer to the gas.  But 6 months is not that big a deal
really.

I'm not a big fan of draining gas out of the tank, this will allow
moisture in the air to get in and cause rust.  A full tank is better since
when it is full of gas, it isn't full of water vapor.

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:05:18 -0500
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

Tommy - I store my car through the Minnesota winters.  All I do
clean it real good, crack the windows a little, remove the battery
and put it on a trickle charger.  I usually make sure the fuel tank
is topped off with good quality gasoline, and I over-inflate the
tires about 5 lbs.  That's it.  When putting the car back into
service, I change the oil and filter, and alternating years I
change out the coolant or the brake fluid.  The car has always
started right up in the spring.  This has worked through 9
winters of cold storage, and one in a heated garage.  This
system has also worked for 3 other cars I store over the winter,
with no undue degradation mechanically or cosmetically.

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:28:43 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You probably have a cooling fan going bad. Not a good idea to jump the
breaker as the wiring shouldn't carry more than 40 amps continuously.
Could also be a bad otterstadt switch because the fans are supposed to
cycle, if they don't you will pop the circuit breaker too. Check that
the fans do indeed cycle on and off and make sure the fans are not
loose on the shafts of the motors and that both motors are blowing in
the correct direction. I am assuming the motor isn't running too hot?
If you have the old syle pipe for the otterstadt switch modify to the
later style. A Fanzilla cannot correct problems in the cooling system,
it is only an upgrade for the Fan Fail Relay.

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:20:36 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: The D gods granted me wish #1...

I would suspect the pick-up coil in the distributer. When it heats up
it goes "open". Next time it gets hot and cuts out check the
resistance on it.

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:40:19 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Louie, You must have another problem. The Fan Fix doesn't use the circuit
breaker for power. Maybe the blower motor CB is going on and off, this is a
common problem in 4th speed. Totally different circuit than the cooling fans.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:52:19 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Aaron, I can make you up a SS replacement for it as shown on the web site for
$15.00 exchange, old hose & connectors I need back.
John hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:40:48 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Cooling fan circuit breakers

A fuse and a circuit breaker are essentially the same thing (you just
don't throw one of them away).

DMC must've put the breaker in originally because the circuit is
unprotected otherwise. These fan fixes seem to be fused, rendering the
thing redundant. Even those of us who just jump the relay socket
usually do so with fused wires. *IF* you've got a modified fuse
protected circuit, why not take the breaker out? After 20 years of
passing current, is it any wonder they're getting twitchy.

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:26:54 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

I'm working at the other end of the system so I don't know your
diameter (it's 1/4 at the pump & accumulator), but the key is *NOT* to
use regular fuel line. That hose is made for carburetors (12 PSI or
so). It's good stuff, especially to replace vacuum hoses, but can't
take fuel injection pressure.

You want fluorelastometric lined hose, which some parts houses sell by
the foot. John Hervey sells it by the inch. It's also in JC Whitney.
This stuff will install ONE time over the barb (be prepared to cut it
off & throw away if ever needs to be removed).

Does your easy to remove hose have a plastic like liner? If not,
you've got a fire waiting to happen.

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:11:16 -0000
From: "iguanajade" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Delorean Mid Atlantic Club Fall Foliage Tour III Details!

Hi everyone!

Details are starting to shape up on the Delorean Mid Atlantic Club
fall foliage tour III, and it promises to be one heck of an event!!!!

For details, check out our events web site!
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/events.htm#falltour

hope to see many of you there!

Kevin Abato
VIN# 16680

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 09:24:12 -0000
From: "vrt10whips" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Advice and help for a D for sale in las vegas

List,

Are there any Delorean Owners in the las vegas area that would be
willing to look at this One for me if needs be? Also, if anyone has
any opinions on this car/ad, or tips for me to ask the seller or what
to look for, feel free to drop me an email privately and let me know.

Thanks,

Paul vrt10whips(AT)yahoo.com

Ps-here is the ad(I almost forgot to include it) :-)

Year: 1981  Interior: Grey  Transmission: Manual  Location:  Las
Vegas NV  Price: $14,500

 Price Slashed! This low mileage DMC is one of the cleanest, rust
free, reliable cars on the market with a clean title. All Updates
done from DMC Houston. Heat, A/C (blows cold). Car is always garaged.
Rubber and plastic is moist. Leather interior is very clean and fresh
(smells new). My DMC Collection Included for next buyer: everything
to impress your friends! Toys, books, posters, magazines, manuals,
brochures (all in plastic), rare side strip in box unused. Buying
house must sell. Car was inspected by Hagerty insurance and is
excellent! Email for pics

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:37:17 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Brakes.

Have had new brake master cylinder installed and the system flushed. Also
have new tires. The brakes and lines were all inspected by a brake
specialist. Just seems to be lousy original brakes - too small, don't cool
down fast enough. My other 2 DeLoreans were the same in stopping power. My
thoughts are to upgrade the brakes on all 4 wheels but I want to talk to an
owner who has actually done it.
 Marv
# 17707
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:13:05 -0000
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fall Tour Corection!

Two Important things!

The Hotel Phone is 1 800 242-8689
(I posted the  wrong # in the last post)
Note: The agreement with hotel should be signed later today, if you
      called the hotel over the weekend, the staff didn't have the
      information yet, sorry about any confusion.

Info below now updated:

DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour III

The DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour III will be October 19th & 20th in
New Jersey this year.

Please make your Hotel reservations immediately!
I only have 15 rooms on reserve at the Marriott in Princeton NJ
(800)242-8689
We have a special group rate of $105 + tax (that includes breakfast
for two).You must tell them that you are part of the DeLorean group
to get this rate.(You must make the reservations before Sept 27th to
get this rate).

Here is the Itinerary for this years Fall Tour (subject to changes
and updates).

The Tour starts at 11 AM at John DeLoreans former mansion in
Lamington NJ.
Some of the events planned are:

Tour of the JZD mansion.
DeLorean Tech Talk with Rob Grady.
DeLorean Detailing by David Teitelbaum.
DeLorean Racing Blindfolded.

Bring your own picnic lunch and beverage!

After dinner we will caravan to the Marriott in Princeton NJ (check
in).

Activities include the  80s retro club Polly Esthers at the hotel
(admission aprox $4 per person).

Sunday Oct 20th

Breakfast at the hotel
Check out
Caravan to New Hope PA (THIS IS A GREAT TOWN TO SPEND THE DAY)
Note: we will park on the NJ side at Lambertville station, parking is
approximately $5.00

PLEASE MAKE YOUR HOTEL RESERVATIONS ASAP!

More information and registration info to come in the next 2 weeks

Looking forward to seeing you all !

Regards,

Michael DeLuca
Vin 3113
NY Lic DLORIANN

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 07:47:11 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour III

Please DO NOT try to book hotel reservations until I complete the agreement with the hotel!

If you call now, they will have no clue what your talking about.

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:10:51 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Reminder about games

Dave, if this is appropriate, others might like to see this page

http://www.midtownmotors.co.uk/vehicles2/d/delorean/deloreandmc12.php

Turned it up on a search of google.co.uk NB the text is discussing the
computer model, not the actual car! There are some nice 3D DeLorean
images on the page

I am not personally a gamer...

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:51:41 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling fan circuit breakers

Fuses and circuit breakers are completly different devices. The only
thing you can say they have in common is that they are protective
devices used in electrical circuits. The main reason that there is a
circuit breaker in the cooling fan circuit is for the ability for it
to take short periods of higher than usual current so you can start
the fans,(when motors start they have a very high current draw, much
higher than when they are running steady-state). The circuit breaker
also gives the automatic resetability which is desirable in critical
circuits like headlights and wipers (not that hey are used in
Deloreans but are on most cars). Unless you really understand what you
are doing in the electrical system it is best to keep it as stock as
possible with the exception of the recomended relay and circuit
breaker upgrades. Make sure all connections are clean and tight and
you actually have the correct size fuses in the correct locations.
Carry an assortment of fuses for emergencies so you can always replace
a blown fuse with the correct size. FYI the fuses in the Fanzilla are
not redundent, each fan has it's own fuse so if 1 fan dies it won't
take the whole circuit with it, now you REALLY know what the Fan Fail
Light is supposed to do, tell you when you have a bad fan!

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:46:50 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: DeLorean on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854991042&ind
exURL=4&photoDisplayType=2#ebaylargephotohosting

Any ideas on what the owner is referring to?

"THIS 83 DELOREAN IS WRECKED IN THE FRONT, REMAINDER OF BODY IS IN GOOD
CONDITION. THIS DELOREAN COMESWITH A LETTER FROM JOHN DELOREAN HIMSELF
EXPLAINING THE ESTIMATED VALUE AND POSSABLE INCREASE IN VALUE OF THIS
SPECIFIC CAR. IN THE LETTER HE IS EXPLAINING THE RARENESS OF THIS CAR WHICH
CAN BE VALIDATED BY THE SERIAL NUMBERS."

The VIN is SCEDT26T3DD016851

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:41:01 -0400
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Binnacle rattling (?)

After getting my D back from the shop last week I've noticed another "minor" issue.  When I hit certain roughness in the road I notice a rattling noise which seems to be coming from my binnacle--I've never noticed it before it happened in the past, but it seems to jump around a lot on its own.  Now my mechanic did take off the front plate from underneath the car and cleaned off some rust.  Could the rattling be coming from down there for some reason and vibrating up to my binnacle?  Could it be something he forgot to tighten?  Maybe something in the steering area got messed up from being off an on a lift for two weeks??

I'm stumped--anyone ideas on what could cause what I'm describing?

Thank you,

Richard

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:45:21 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: My car needs some DeLorean wiring

Hi there.

The assembly of the twin engine DeLorean is going nicely.   I'm
working on the wiring now.  I'm looking for some help with some of
the connectors in the wiring harness.  If there's anyone out there
with a scrap DeLorean wiring harness, please look me up.

What I need specifically are the main harness connectors that connect
to:

1.  Door wiring (four connectors two male on one side, two female on
the other, attached to heavy duty ribbon cable)
2.  Edge connectors for tail lamp PCB's.

What would be nice, but is not strictly necessary

3.  The wiring that goes to all the lamps.

Basically, if you could cut these connectors out of the harness,
leaving as much of the existing wiring as is pratical attached to the
connector, that would be great.  Alternatively, if you just want to
sell the whole harness, that could work too.  I don't need the
controllers or the relay/fuse assembly, just the various connectors
mentioned.  Let's negotiate a mutually agreeable price privately.

I have these connectors in my possession already, but they are in the
wiring harness I removed from the car.  Other than a hard-wired fan
circuit switch,this wiring harness is actually quite good, and I want
to save it intact for its resale/reverse engineering value.  I'll cut
it up only as a last resort if I fail to find a donor harness out
there in DML land.

Rick Gendreau