From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1196
Date: Saturday, September 14, 2002 7:46 AM

1. Re: Re: Idle/tune-up/vacuum/oil BING!!
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

2. New Here
From: Jordan Bouvier <jordanb_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. angle drive removal question
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

4. looking for Mr. Rodriguez
From: "Darryl Tinnerstet" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

5. Re: Re: Overheating/rising temp since A/C Charge
From: "The Atkinson Family" <mikeatk_at_dml_cox.net>

6. Front fender number?
From: "Ian Foster" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

7. Hard wired idle speed motor
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: Re: Overheating/rising temp since A/C Charge
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

9. Transmission Governor
From: Jamie Hamlin <jhamlin_at_dml_avart.net>

10. Re: Overheating/rising temp since A/C Charge
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Re: Overheating/rising temp since A/C Charge
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. drain plug
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

13. Has anybody let them know about their screw-up?
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

14. [ADMIN] Moderator address change
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

15. RE: Has anybody let them know about their screw-up?
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

16. RE: Re: Overheating/rising temp since A/C Charge
From: "Arnie Brandon" <Arnie_at_dml_PNDC.org>

17. Re: A/C evaporator box drain tube
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Re: Transmission Governor
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. Re: Transmission Governor
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

20. 2 Questions over here :D
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. When is a D Dream not stainless?
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Has anybody let them know about their screw-up?
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:20:03 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Idle/tune-up/vacuum/oil BING!!

In a message dated 9/12/02 6:53:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net writes:

<< My particular PRV has the idle speed motor hard wired too (courtesy of
 Goober, the friendly neighborhood Volvo mechanic -- I'm burning a
 replacement block). Microswitch is missing altogether. Except for
 additional wear on motor, presents no problems.  >>

Bill, With out the microswitch, the idle speed motor may or may not work
depending on how it was wired and the vaccum solenoid won't work either.
John
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:32:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jordan Bouvier <jordanb_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: New Here

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to introduce myself. My name is Jordan, I am 18 (will be 19 in November) and I live in Western NY. I just recently became somewhat obsessed with DeLoreans and have been soaking up as much about the car, its creator, and its owners as possible.

I currently own and operate my own company called ServerSonic (serversonic.com) and now I have a goal for my company... to earn enough in the next year to buy myself my own beautiful DeLorean:)

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I will probably be quiet for a while so I can sort of get a feel for what goes on here:)

-Jordan Bouvier

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email_at_dml_yourgroup.org by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:29:22 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: angle drive removal question

The cable end of my angle drive broke off.
So: how does one remove it? I see there is snap ring in the drawings, but I
can't see it under there. The workshop manual kind of glazes over this when
addressing suspension and never approaches it elsewhere.

Also, for those not sure how to lubricate the speedo right angle drive
/adapter:
1. Disconnect cable
2. put a wrench on it angle drive (only, not the big nut for the hub) and
turn it upside down
3. remove the set screw
4. fill with 90wt gear oil or heavier.
5. replace set screw, turn back and replace cable.

Doh! if only I had seen it spelled out like that. I was simply removing
cable and trying to pump fluid in the cable access. I didn't know it would
spin semi-freely like that.
Also, those in wet and/or cold environments may be interested in the rubber
boot available from dealers like DMC-Hou.

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:59:56 -0700
From: "Darryl Tinnerstet" <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: looking for Mr. Rodriguez

(I hope the moderators will allow this post - I don't know how else to get this information)

Recently a Mr. Rodriguez from Mexico City looking for parts left a message on my voice mail.  It was an e-mail address, but I couldn't make it all out, and he didn't leave a phone number.  Mr. Rodriguez, if you are monitoring this list please send me an e-mail so I can help you.

Note to other customers - unfortunately with my schedule these days I can be hard to reach.  All voice mails and e-mails will be returned.  If you don't hear back from me please try again as there might be some reason like the above case where I can't respond.  Thanks for your patience.

Darryl Tinnerstet  darryl_at_dml_delorean-parts.com
Specialty Automotive
McCleary, WA

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 00:38:44 -0700
From: "The Atkinson Family" <mikeatk_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Overheating/rising temp since A/C Charge

Just curious, how often should the otterstadt switch be replaced.  Can the
sensor become coated with crude after a few years.  I replaced mine about
three or four years ago and was wondering what the replacement time should
be.  They're not that expensive and pretty easy to change so thought it
might be worth changing again.  I don't drive that much so maybe that
figures into it as well.

Subject: [DML] Re: Overheating/rising temp since A/C Charge

"Replace the otterstadt switch and seal"

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:55:48 +0800
From: "Ian Foster" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>
Subject: Front fender number?

DMLers,

I was recently in USA looking at the progress of my Hong Kong car's
refurbishment. As the s/s skin is now off I noticed on the front (US
passenger's side) fibreglass fender 4" high numbers stuck on. Is this common
on all the cars. My vin is 780, which is the number on the fibreglass
fender.

I have a jpeg photo if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Just curious,           IAN
*********************

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:33:19 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Hard wired idle speed motor

Goob just tied the microswitch lines together. My idle motor spins all
the time. The only real disadvantage I see (other than extra wear on
motor) is reduced airflow over the fuel distributor sensor plate.
Doesn't seem to noticeably impact performance (perhaps adjustment
screw was tightened a bit more?). I have toy'ed with idea of wiring
motor to the A/C clutch line. Car will idle just fine using bypass
screws, but you'd have to set _at_dml_ 1500 rpm or so in the summer for the
compressor otherwise. I could go to the trouble to rig up an old
fashioned A/C solenoid on the throttle linkage, but then I might as
well put a proper microswitch in. Besides, DMC's idle speed system
really does work smoothly.

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:37:27 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Mike, I've never heard of any pre maintance on the otterstat and I have taken
some out that were original and still working. I would carry a spare for
safety.
John Hervey
www.special T Auto.com

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:23:59 -0400
From: Jamie Hamlin <jhamlin_at_dml_avart.net>
Subject: Transmission Governor

Does anyone know how to get in contact with Mark Hershey
Tuesday Night I removed my Transmission Governor/Computer
I am wanting to add the .1 Microfarad bypass capacitors because
Im having trouble with the shifting on the computer (sometimes
it does not shift back into first gear when coming to a stop unless
I fiscally shift it to first gear. other times I can be driving down the

highway and it desides to shift itself from 3rd into 2nd gear
(not good on the transmission at all)).
I would like to know if anyone has put in new capacitors accroding
to the Techsection on the dmcnews website Author/Source: Mark Hershey

Jamie Hamlin
jhamlin_at_dml_avart.net

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:44:28 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating/rising temp since A/C Charge

The origional otterstadt switch seems to go bad sometime before it is
20 years old. If it is leaking, origional or the fans don't seem to
come on soon enough it is time to change it. If installing a Fanzilla
it is recommended it be changed at the same time. When installing a
new otterstadt switch remove the seal, clean with a little
scotch-brite and put the seal and switch in with NO SEALER. Make sure
the clip is still there or at least use a strap-tie to hold the switch
in. If you have an early set-up with the switch on top of the pipe
modify the pipe and get the hoses to work like the later version so
there is no air bubble trapped under the switch.
 If the switch is coated with crud you have much bigger problems since
the crud is probably all throughout your cooling system. Drain, flush
and refill with fresh anti-freeze if it is over 2 years old. If you
have the origional hoses and seals you have a big job replacing them
all including the water pump.

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

With continuos ownership for 20 years (next week)
spread over two DeLoreans and with accumulated mileage
of 175,000 miles, I have never replaced an otterstat.

Now I'm curious, is that just the luck of the Irish?

Dick Ryan

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:09:14 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: drain plug

A DeLorean-owner-friend without a computer has asked me the following:
- where is the a/c drain plug that may be plugged causing moisture on both
the driver's and passenger side floor carpets?
- does anyone have a spare, complete  mirror control switch that fits on the
driver's door?
- he's looking for a used working window switch-- his sticks when pushed
down and he doesn't want to disassemble it in case he cannot reassemble it.

Marv
# 17707
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:41:15 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Has anybody let them know about their screw-up?

I was just wondering if anybody notified Sunstar, the maker of our
diecast Delorean models,about their screwup on the name on the
box,Delorean"LK" which should have been Delorean "UK" (for United
Kindgom),and does anybody know if that was past on to the Gold plated
Diecast Delorean Model,that is soon to be Released,or was it
corrected on that model.Or will the Delorean be now known as the
Delorean "LK"

Claude

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:49:04 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: [ADMIN] Moderator address change

Due to the increasing amount of spam we've been hit with by spammers
scanning the dmcnews.com web page, I've changed the address of
the "moderator" list to moderators(AT)dmcnews.com (note the "s" at
the end of "moderators"). Please use this if/when you feel the need
to communicate with the moderators off-list.

All the other web-page service addresses are changed as well, note
these when you submit photos and such to the dmcnews.com addresses.

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:52:37 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: Has anybody let them know about their screw-up?

Perhaps they got turned around and ment UK, for United Kingdom, or LS for
Lee Seiler, who's car they used as a pattern, hence the Panasonic radio and
the warped air dam. The prototype even had his licence plate and a DOA
sticker on the window.

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:56:30 -0700
From: "Arnie Brandon" <Arnie_at_dml_PNDC.org>

Hey Dick Ryan, I'm with you.  Twenty years of ownership coming up in October
and having had as many as three DeLoreans at one time, with early vins to
late vins, NEVER have had the need to change an  otterstadt.

> With continuos ownership for 20 years (next week)
> spread over two DeLoreans and with accumulated mileage
> of 175,000 miles, I have never replaced an otterstat.
>
> Now I'm curious, is that just the luck of the Irish?
>
> Dick Ryan

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:20:30 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: A/C evaporator box drain tube

It's a tube that runs from the lower left side of the evaporator box
(under dash passenger side) through a hole in the I-beam island. If it
can't drain, condensed water fills the box, eventually sloshing out
the heater vents. Will ruin your carpet if water is allowed to puddle
(remember -- pontoon is made of plastic).

Tube is actually two joined pieces: one inside the car, one next to
the frame. My external hose was pinched so badly at the factory it is
now permanently deformed. I simply omitted (don't give me a bunch of
grief -- the frame is epoxy coated. If it can't stand a little
condensed water, what does that say about Lotus).

Word of warning -- don't pull the hose loose soon after running A/C.
Niagara Falls could be waiting in the box. This is a wet voice of
experience talking...

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:19:18 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Transmission Governor

Hi Jamie

As many list members know, myself and my good friend Rich Johnstone have been restoring
our cars as a pair, having bought them together. He has done a lot of work on his auto
tranny governor, in fact has re-built a replacement from scratch, making new PCBs and
correcting the original design flaws. I can't speak from experience and I'm surprised he
hasn't been onto you directly about it (although he seems to have disappeared off the
face of the earth in the last few days!), but I know he had trouble finding appropriate
replacement caps - the trouble being finding components of a high enough temperature
rating for the governor. He did succeed though.

Yes he is planning on selling them, but it is not practical to hand-make them one at a
time, and right now his project has stalled in the testing phase due to being busy on
other stuff. At least, that's what he says....

I've Bcc'd him on this e-mail

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:21:53 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Mark Hershey did live in the Dallas area. He came by my office about 3 years
ago. As far as I know he is no longer involved with Deloreans.
I have also done his conversion successfully
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:59:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 2 Questions over here :D

Hi, How is everyones Friday the 13th going? I have two
questions for the group today, neither one is related
but what the heck.

Okay first off, Has anyone had success running
synthetic oil in the PRV? Not sure how the engine was
designed if it could handel it.

Second question which has nothing to do with the first
one, lol. With my engine now removed (working on the
trans this weekend) I have discovered a plate with an
impressed number welded to my frame on the driver
side. it resides on the rear frame in the engine
compartment. Is this a Vin number or just a frame
idenification code? has anyone else discovered this
plate and scratch there head in wonder? I've been
scratching my head alot this week. hehe.

Thanks again guys for the great help with my engine.
Couldn't of done it without this great group!

Todd

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:08:09 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: When is a D Dream not stainless?

A car is a car is the response I got to a survey I have been
conduction over the last week about what type of DeLorean I should
get (According to price).  And I almost believed it!

Coming into work this morning (4 am) I was tooling down the highway _at_dml_
55 mph and this guy (or girl) comes behind me flashing his lights
like mad between low and high beams.  I decided to loose him, so I
floored the accelerator and shot up to a good 95 or so and this guy
did likewise.  or so I thought until he passed me like I was driving
a 1960's Izzetta (clown car).  Going well over 100 mph made me
realize that I needed another car as I could no longer see his
tailights.  So much for my Capri.

Anyway, I have a meeting with the bank today over purchasing a
DeLorean within the next three months, discussing the options I have,
and trying to get the best car for the money.  Thus the reason for
the survey.

Heres the survey I conducted and its results (mind you this is a poor
area to live).

DeLorean Expense: Cost in US Dollars

$0-9999   Junker/Non Running or running with problems...  1 vote

$10000-13999 Runs but interior/exterior usual with problems, minor
engine and transmission issues...                         18 votes

$14000-18000 Looks and runs great, few problems, everything generaly
in good shape                                             8  votes

$18000-25000 Near perfect condition                       3 votes

$32000       Refurbished/New Conditon                      1 vote

Whats a DeLorean?                                         15 votes

(What a conincidence!!)

Buying a 10k or a 32.5 k DeLorean wont beat that car that passed me
this morning doing at least 130mph (estimated).  However, nothing in
my mind will convince me otherwize that the car I am driving isnt the
coolist and must desiriable automobile on the road.

Just to reinforce this idea, remeber the original DeLorean
commerical.  "The DeLorean is the most awaited automobile in
automotive history."  Thats something money cant buy.

Thomas Porter

Ps.  Oh, I decided on the 14000-18000 dollar range.  Best bang for
the buck I think.  However, probley more on the 18000 side though.

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:15:48 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hello List...

Concerning the DeLorean LK on the box, it could be
concieved "DeLorean UK."  But has anybody thought of DeLorean LD ?
I may be way out on left feild on this one, but didnt the parrent
company of DeLorean, or a subsiderary use to be DeLorean LD?  Anyway,
I do think there is a mistake on the box, and GOOD EYE!!

Tom Porter