From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1202
Date: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 10:05 PM

1. Re: The "new" DeLorean World
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

2. Re: Great Blunders In History (Delorean feature on history channel)
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>

3. RE: Great Blunders In History (Delorean feature on history channel)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

4. Re: Great Blunders In History (Delorean feature on history channel)
From: Joe Bachmann <joe.bachmann_at_dml_newmail.net>

5. RE: The "new" DeLorean World
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

6. Do Leather Wipes Really Work?
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

7. Re: The "new" DeLorean World
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. RE: The "new" DeLorean World
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Re: The "new" DeLorean World
From: "Aaron Crocco" <slider_ten_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: The "new" DeLorean World
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: The "new" DeLorean World, DeLoreans Mag.
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

12. Constructive input (was "The new DeLorean World")
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

13. Re: Digest Number 1201
From: myhrek_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Do Leather Wipes Really Work?
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. RE: Great Blunders In History (Delorean feature on history channel)
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

16. Buying Thoughts
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

17. Re: Re: The "new" DeLorean World
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

18. Anyone want a DML magazine? was (The "new" DeLorean World)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Trailing Arm Bolts (again)
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

20. Moving to SF Bay Area, need service and club info
From: "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>

21. Re: The "new" DeLorean World
From: "tmasterlc" <tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com>

22. radio harness pin-out, color, and function diagram now available
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

23. procedures for removal/install of radio console bracket?
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

24. NJ Car show this Sunday...who is going?
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

25. RE: Great Blunders In History (Delorean feature on history channel)
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:22:10 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: The "new" DeLorean World

Oh, come on Erik...we could use a good rant on this one! (haha)  I've even heard a wild
rumor that the magazine is switching to just a twice a year publication...anybody know if
there's any truth to that?

Maybe Ken knows something more than we do about the lack of coverage in the current
issue?  Have they talked to you at all?  It'd be interesting to know what's up.

-Josh

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:46:00 -0400
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: Great Blunders In History (Delorean feature on history channel)

> I have it on my ftp site, but you will need a high speed connection to
> download it.  E-mail me privately if you are interested.

Hey there,

I'm interested in a copy of the episode.

Thanks!
Luke/10270

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:51:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Kevin Abato wrote:

> Also, I have set my Tivo wishlist up to record ANY show that has mention
> of a delorean in the title or descriton....lets see what we get!  ;)

You'll get exactly what I do--this show about once every two months, and
Back to the Future once a month.  Nothing else ever seems to turn up.

-andrew
 Houston TX

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:44:42 -0500
From: Joe Bachmann <joe.bachmann_at_dml_newmail.net>

Thank you Kevin!

This can be download from here ftp://dmc1:dmc1_at_dml_www.joesarcade.com/

This is limited connections so that the internet pipe doesn't get too bogged down.

The video is ~20 minutes long

Have fun,
Joe

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:27:26 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

Is the DMCH publication "DeLoreans" really any different?

The complimentary first issue I received seemed to fit the descriptions you all have for the current issue of DW, except the articles were all just advertisements for DMCH (Not DOA or D1)... Plus all the regular advertisements!

Although I was told a second complimentary issue was being sent out, I never did receive it.  I suspect it was due to my previous posts on the subject which can be found in the DML archives.  I can therefore assume the second issue would not have changed my opinion.

Vendors should not be in the business of selling magazines and club memberships.

<SNIP>

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:37:43 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Do Leather Wipes Really Work?

Hey Guys,

I've always wondered if all those leather treatment
wipes, like Meguiar's, Armor All, Mother's, etc. really
help keep the leather looking nice and new?

Curious,
Robert G.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:16:39 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

"DW"   Is that not German Television on cable?   What happened to the
Delorean World "Logo"?   THAT WAS Delorean World!  Otherwise, a fairly sharp
format.    Drive Stainless  (in a Delorean World)   Robert VIN 6924

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] The "new" DeLorean World
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:29:28 -0400

Hey List,

Just got my copy of the latest issue of DeLorean World, or "DW magazine"

as it's now apparently called.  Found a new "travel brochure" like
format, and more pages, but amazingly there was not a single word
covering the best and largest DeLorean gathering ever.  I'm
dumbfounded.  I couldn't wait to read the coverage concerning all
the exciting things that we got to experience first hand in
Memphis....but there wasn't a single word on it, unless you count the
Editor's comments, and I quote...

"While other owners are sitting around faded, asphalt parking lots
talking about how "cool" there car looks..."

What "other" owners is Mr. Bernstein talking about?  A good
lot of the owners in Memphis, including me, were DOA members...and I use

the word WERE very carefully!

The car and the owners seem to have taken a back seat, (make that
luggage rack) in this revised magazine.  Many of the pictures look like
they were taken out of Conde Nast Traveller, and then DeLoreans were cut
and
paste into them.  The cover is the first example of this horrific
technique.  That says to me that a DeLorean couldn't actually make it to

all those exotic destinations, so they had to fake it!  I don't see how
that improves the image of the car for anyone!

Am I just being short-sighted here?  Does anyone else notice anything
wrong with this new issue?  Just curious.

Josh

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:29:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

Yes DeLoreans and DeLorean World are waaaay over priced, seriously lacking on content, and blatently pushing the organization that publishes them... that's why I'm not subscribed to either. However, I for one am glad that they're out there. They're a source of information about our cars, and a good continuous diary of our cars history. They both are putting the DeLorean out there to the public, and I kinda fail to see that's a bad thing. We all complain about these publications... but we must remember... we're the *diehards* in the DeLorean community... we're more knowledgeable, and expect more than your average person who subscribes to these publications. It's things like these magazines that are keeping interest in the car going, and helps make sure the marque doesn't fade into obscurity.

Louie Golden
VIN 10115 Sanford, NC

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email_at_dml_yourgroup.org by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:52:02 -0400
From: "Aaron Crocco" <slider_ten_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Well I recieved my 'DW' in the mail on Friday of last week.  I was very
excited because I love reading the magazine.  I opened the envelope that it
came in and thought they sent me the wrong item!  It looks SO different that
I couldn't recoginize it.

Now I know that people favor certain dealers, including myself, but I am
putting that aside to write this.  Here's what I like about the new
magazine:

Good- larger pages (means more content), heavier paper (doesn't get wrecked
as easily), article on Japanese Delorean guy who bought a D1 $60k car (I
liked it because he had the money to do it and his museum (sp?) was amazing
looking), still has some tech stuff that every Delorean owner can use, D1
two-page foliage add was nice looking.

Bad- Where to start???  The cover looks like they hired someone from Cosmo
to shoot it.  It's TOO professional looking, Articles on events that haven't
happened yet cover something like five pages.  Who cares if it hasn't
happened yet?  I don't.  Travel guide cut-out on Belfast??  Could have been
useful during EuroFest last year but does me no good now.  Article on 'Flag
is up farms' should not take up 2 pages, and would have been nice to be
incorporated in the first article about the Danish Delorean meet.  Uhhhh,
aren't there supposed to be Deloreans in these pictures???  DW Magazine??
Are you afraid that if you put the word Delorean in the title, people will
joke about the magazine being laced with drugs?  I personally feel the name
change is an insult to owners who covet the magazine as a great publication
about the car we love, and the name change is almost a way of showing
embarassment.  NOWHERE does it say the word Delorean on the cover, except in
the title of changing the radio.

I'll stop there before I nitpick too much.  Pretty much I feel there was a
lack of articles and they streatched it out so that 4 or 5 can fill the
pages of 10 articles.  Huge pictures that aren't necessary combined with the
splitting of articles into two just makes me not want to read this.  Show
the car in the pictures!  Not just photoshopped onto the cover, which they
did poorly (you can tell by the tile on the ground).

I'm glad I am a free member for publishing an article because I would not
renew my membership for this piece of crud.

-Aaron Crocco
NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:58:51 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yea, I've heard the same rumor.  It's amazing that people still
subscribe to that "magazine".  I'd much rather have a magazine that
acutally talks about issues that I want to hear, new product reviews
(products from all the vendors), upcoming events, reviews on past
events, interviews with people who have impacted the Delorean
community in one way or another (Ken, George Crane, Don S., Grady,
Wayne, Joe, the list goes on.....)
I'd like to see articles about D-Rex! Not just a blurb, but indepth
detail on some of the more crazy deloreans out there.  It would be
nice if the person/company who puts this magazine out offered a way
for you to send in your own articles about events you went to,
projects you are working on, strange stories you've heard, unusual
and interesting things that have happend to you and your delorean.  I
know I would submit articles!  I'd love to see my name in a magazine,
and I'm sure many others here would too.  Imagine a magazine where
you contributed.  You can't complain about the content of the
magazine then!  With so many people in the community, and so many
people active with projects, there would be plenty of information.
All that is needed is a person/company who wants to put out a new
magazine for the delorean.  I could go on and on about different
ideas i've had for a new magazine.
I think Delorean World has reached its final times.  Its a waste of
money, and doesn't offer anything of interest anymore.  Why pay for a
leaflett full of advertisements and a crappy article here and there
about stuff you don't want to hear?

Erik
04512....now for sale for $100,000....price expected to go up $10,000
per year.   Hey, if D1 can get away with it....why not me.

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:32:33 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: The "new" DeLorean World, DeLoreans Mag.

Hey, just think...if D1 spits out a mag,
then we'll have full year's worth of DeLorean
magazines!! :O )

Pretty Cool!

Later,

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:15:11 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Constructive input (was "The new DeLorean World")

Instead of complaining about the DW Magazine new format on the DML, I
would suggest that a more productive and construtive form of feedback
would be for those that subscribe to the magazine to touch base with
the DOA and provide suggestions for improvement.

       Knut

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:07:36 EDT
From: myhrek_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1201

Pertinent to 'The "New" DeLorean World';  DOA has always been and remains the
marketing function of D1.  Should you still be or become a recalcitrant
Member, chances are that Mr. Richard A. Lebby, Attorney for DOA and D1 will
be obliged to explain it to you in 'legalese' paid for out of your membership
dues.  Such expenses are quoted as high as $15,000./year, but don't ask to
see the books.  That is an actionable offense.  If you decide to defend
yourself and/or your claim(s)/assertion(s), the legal expense is all yours,
unlike that of your opponent which is, as said, paid by the membership.
----13     <MyhreK_at_dml_aol.com>

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:34:23 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Do Leather Wipes Really Work?

I have found the Lexol line of products to be very good for leather.
Short of that the best advice I can give is to use warm water with a
little soap. Foam it up and use the foam on a brush to clean the
leather with as little water as possible. Dry and then apply saddle
soap, you can get it at a large boot or shoe store. Dirt is the main
enemy of leather, it grinds the surface up so the cleaner you can keep
it the longer it will last. The saddle soap is to keep the leather
supple so it doesn't develop lines and then cracks. Don't let the
seats stay wet, it will cause the stiching to rot and then break and
fall out. Minor repairs can be done with the correct dye. The leather
used in the Delorean is of very high quality, I think it is of the
same grade as that used in Jaguars and they are known for their
luxurious interiors.

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:11:00 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

I taped it

Darkstar

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:12:17 -0400
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Buying Thoughts

This is a long email but what do you expect from a new person.

I'm thinking about getting a Delorean for daily driving. I've been
looking at dmcnews.com for awhile and have emailed usadmc.com a few
times. I've been pondering getting a delorean for awhile now but have
only gotten serious about it in the last month. However, I come to the
list with questions.

As I'm planning on getting one for daily driving, I dont want to get one
that needs constant repair. As a result, I've been looking at and
pondering usadmc.com's refurbishing program. It is a bit exspensive but
the hope is that I would not be in a constant state of repair on the
car, granted the car is 20 years old. Is it worth the $32k? The
performance engine seems nice, all in all I'd end up around $40k if I
went with this route (modified engine, xenon headlights, changed
suspension for the most part). Any thoughts on this path?

I am wondering what the list's opinion is of this program compared to
getting one from someone online that is selling. An issue I have with
buying a car directly from an individual is the likely inability of me
being able to inspect the car to see if it has been taken car of and is
in working order and worth the price.

I am also wondering if anyone knows of a Delorean in the Clearwater, FL
area or somewhere near by. I've only ever had a chance to look at a
delorean up close but have never been inside of one nor ridden in one.
This is one thing I would like to be able to do before I go purchasing
one. My transportation is a bit limited right now so it is more likely
that if anyone is willing to give me a ride to see what it is like, it
would have to come to me.

I'm open for tips on purchasing, things to look for, etc. Like I said
before, I dont want to buy one directly from an individual to find out
that they didnt take good care of it or failed to make needed repairs.

I figure it will be about a year before I actually buy a delorean which
gives me a year to save up more (larger down payment) and a year of
investigation.

I've glanced thru the list some, came across the technical link on
dmcnews.com. How many people have had problems with the trailing arm
bolt as it is one thing that would worry me unless I knew it had been
changed out for what seems to be a better bolt.

Whatever delorean I end up getting, I'm planning on keeping due to the
type of car it is. I'd much rather keep it maintained, show it off, and
use it more or less for daily driving, than to let it sit or to sell it
off. I want to get one, but I also want to get one that is worth keeping
and using and not get one that is going to sit around needing repairs
and fixes.

The one I'd end up getting would probably be a manual with gray interior.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated. ICQ or AIM me (UIN# 18424260, AIM:
LightningTH).

Samuel

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:57:46 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>
Subject: Re: Re: The "new" DeLorean World

I subscribe to the DOA and the DML. I've also written articles for the
DeLorean World magazine and not only were they published but I was paid for
them. Anyone who receives the DeLorean World (DW) magazine has read the ad
in each edition advertising for articles written by DeLorean owners about
trips they have taken and other adventures in their DeLorean. Granted, I
don't agree with everything the DOA does or the way they run the club, but I
also have the same feelings about the DML. No one club is perfect, but I am
a die hard DeLorean owner and will stay a member of any club that provides
information about the DeLorean automobile. I've participated as a board
member in other clubs and it is a tough job keeping every member happy. The
biggest problem with many clubs is member participation and contributions of
work. The DOA requests members to submit articles for publication in their
magazine, if they don't write articles then the magazine must find
alternative text to fill the publication. If you don't want to contribute to
a club then I suggest you subscribe to Car & Driver.

Dave Sontos
vin 02573

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Anyone want a DML magazine? was (The "new" DeLorean World)

Actually you know what would be even more exciting? If
everyone on the DML chiped in there 2 cents on either
a weird story or there project or whatever, and we put
it all together and made our own magazine out of it.
It might only be a once a year thing but it would be
pretty cool I think. More down to earth, more focased
to what we all want, which is Real Storys about real
cars and there owners. If the venue guys would like to
have a spread of "items for sale" or just advertising
we could do that too. It would be a cool project to
work on. If everyone submited one artical, or
something entertaining, or a picture, or even just a
pic of themselves with an arrow saying "this is me and
my car" that would be awesome. I think it would
anyway. And actually now that I think of it, it
intrigues me and I think I'll look into it. I have the
connections with printers, just got to do a little
footwork and see if this would work. what does
everyone else think?

Todd
Vin5386

=====
For up to the minute details on the restoration of Vin5386 point your browser to, http://www.khpindustries.com/stainlessrestorations.html

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:23:08 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Trailing Arm Bolts (again)

Hello List - I wanted to toss a quick note out regarding a car that
was recently purchased by a PNDC member here in the Seattle area.  The
car was standing at a repair shop with a completely fractured TAB, and
the threaded half was completely missing (including the nut, shims,
and large flat washers.  The new owner bought the car, and brought it
home on a dolly.  I swapped out the broken bolt with a new TOBY-TAB
(of course!), and also changed the other bolt.  The "non-fractured"
bolt was substantially bent, with several areas of galling wear and
corrosion pitting.  The car came with complete records since new (it
was a one-owner car), and the TAB's had been changed with OEM bolts at
least once, and inspected and retorqued several times.  The car had
about 52K miles on it.  The passenger side (where the fractured bolt
was) trailing arm rubber bushing retention plate was bent, and the
bushing was somewhat deformed, indicating that the bolt had been
broken before, in a violent fashion, resulting in the damage to the
adjacent hardware.  As I look at my remaining stock of TOBY-TAB's, I
just thought you'd like to know!

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:59:41 -0700
From: "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Moving to SF Bay Area, need service and club info

Im moving from Arizona to the San Francisco Bay Area in a couple of weeks,
and Im looking to get in touch with any owners in the area who can help get
me set up with the local club and point me to any nearby service shops.  My
car is and will continue to be a daily driver, so Ill need to make regular
use of a shop.  Ive visited the NCDMC page, which is quite useful, but Id
love it if any individual owners got in touch with me and shared their
service and club experiences.

Thanks,

Ryan McCaffrey
#10014
ryanjm(at)cox.net

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:27:25 -0000
From: "tmasterlc" <tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com>

Eric & group

The magazine you have been looking for is in the works.  Be patient,
this kind of undertaking takes time to be done.

Ron & Cheryl

#1529 "Yellow"

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:20:10 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: radio harness pin-out, color, and function diagram now available

Since I wasn't able to find this info anywhere else, I created a page the
combines all the currently available info into one page, which should answer
questions like mine in the future for both Craig and ASI radios.

Thanks go to Mark Noeltner and Pete Lucas where I got most of the info.  I
verified that at least for my Craig radio, the pin-outs and colors are
correct.

Here is the page:  http://www.eskin.net/radioharness.html

-Hank #1619

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:30:34 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: procedures for removal/install of radio console bracket?

Now that I have my radio wiring in place, is there any place online that has
the procedures for removal and installation of a new radio/console bracket?
(I did look, couldn't find anything.)  Where do I start?  Are there any
tricks/tips?

Thanks,

-Hank #1619

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:50:23 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: NJ Car show this Sunday...who is going?

OK...the weather for Sunday is not looking good at the moment, but
hopefull it will turn around.

Is ANYONE else going to the car show in Chester NJ?  If you think you
will attend, please e-mail me offline so we can coordinate how many cars
will be there, and I can reserve a spot for us all to park together!

let me know!

Remember...it is free to register and attend!

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:56:13 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Geesh!  Only about a million of you wanted this file!  :)

A lot of you responded to me, and I don't want to bog down my cable
modem and server at home.  I am uploading the file to my hosted web site
so you can all download it.  Don't know what kind of speed you will get,
but I am assuming it is better then home server!

Here is the link:
http://www.abato.net/dmcvideo.htm

Enjoy!!!!

Kevin Abato wrote:

> I recorded this show, and extracted it to a 212mb MPEG file (can be
> burned to VCD for your DVD player if it supports VCD playback)
>
> I have it on my ftp site, but you will need a high speed connection to

> download it.  E-mail me privately if you are interested.
>
> Also, I have set my Tivo wishlist up to record ANY show that has
> mention of a delorean in the title or descriton....lets see what we
> get!  ;)

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to