From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1208
Date: Monday, September 23, 2002 7:28 AM

1. Re: Re: Hard start when cold
From: Swoyerzone_at_dml_aol.com

2. Fwd: Forwarded Article: Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2002
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Help prevent Propagation of Delorean Myths from BTTF
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

4. Re: DeLorean on Magazine Cover!
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

5. new audio book read by John DeLorean
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

6. Re: Delco Alternator swap instructions; LONG!
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Hard start when cold
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: R134 blue caps
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Restaurant with a DeLOREAN
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

10. R134 conversion fittings
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. electronic challange for all
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

12. RE: Re: Help prevent Propagation of Delorean Myths from BTTF
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

13. DeLorean in GTA3
From: "Christopher" <michaelcaine100_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 00:11:59 EDT
From: Swoyerzone_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Hard start when cold

Currently the DeLorean is in shop, the distributor is undergoing a rebuild.
The original owner had told me he smelled fuel leaking from the car. I had
the taken to a mechanic the 1st week of ownership, to have the brakes worked
on. I also asked about the gas, at this time I didn't experience it. the
mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it. After a good month or so I
started to smell it. but the source was never found. I have switched
mechanics, the current one has found many problems. all but the cold start
and fans have been solved. I'm hoping that its just the distributor, I bought
the car with intentions that I would invest in repair, but I'm now running
very low in repair money, just about out. The good side is the mechanic has
cut me a large brake. he charges less about 15% less on labor, and he only
works on the car one day a week, for my situation, the only down side its
that it takes so long before I hear any update on the car. And its been in
the shop since May. I will pass on the information  to my mechanic,

Thanks,

Darryl

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 05:43:11 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fwd: Forwarded Article: Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2002

Ahh, it's nice having friends who know you have a Delorean!!  Enjoy!!
Robert VIN 6924

From: stirman_at_dml_perryisp.net
The following article has been forwarded to you from NewsMax.com.
To visit NewsMax .com, point your browser to http://www.newsmax.com.

Comments: DeLorean news....

Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2002

Buy a stainless steel watch for a mere $3,500 and one-time boy wonder auto
maker John DeLorean may let you buy one of his close to $1 million newest
automotive creations in about three years.
DeLorean made his name when he designed the classic Pontiac GTO back in the
'60s. He followed this success with his DeLorean stainless steel sports car
in the early '80s which was less than a smashing success.
His run of bad luck came in 1982 when he was arrested on a charge of drug
trafficking - a rap he beat. Then his DeLorean Motor Company went bankrupt,
forcing him into retirement at his New Jersey farm. ...

To read the rest of this article, go to
http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2002/9/18/152040

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:37:44 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Help prevent Propagation of Delorean Myths from BTTF

That is definately a fact about the cars being used in the films that
I was unaware of. Any idea as to why someone would go to all the
trouble to do a complete engine swap, let alone one for a smaller
engine for the movie shoots? Perhaps this could greatly shed some
light as to why some people insist that the cars came with 4 cylinder
engines.

Though if true, perhaps the wording used on the new DVD's should be
modified to give a disclaimer to say that the original V6 was
replaced.

-Moderators: I know that BTTF topics are normal discouraged on the
list here. However, this does indeed appear to be a specific topic
directly relating to our cars.

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:29:23 -0500
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean on Magazine Cover!

actually it is a type of ordered junk mail catalog. the catalog sells all types of gag gifts and clothes
and trinkets and doodads. i do get this catalog and the stuff you find in it is really amazing. the
catalog is just selling the delorean die-cast car and nothing more to do with the delorean.

mark

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:39:43 EDT
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: new audio book read by John DeLorean

Hello,

Here is a new audio book for all of you.

I found the Ad in Motor Trend magazine, page 163, October 2002.

6 Hours of Smokey Yunick read by John DeLorean, "SEX, LIES & SUPERSPEEDWAYS"

$24.95

www.SmokeyYunick.com

toll free
866-SMOKEY2 (766.5392)

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:10:54 -0000
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delco Alternator swap instructions; LONG!

Your argument is not valid with "maybe and evaluation of whether
they should own a DeLorean should be in question" if they decide to
install a rebuilt alternator. What you are saying is that then
ANYONE with ANY car should be re-evaluated in owning ANY car if they
install a rebuilt alternator. Are you saying that anyone that owns a
motor vehicle should not be entitled to own one if they install
anything rebuilt? Or even a mechanic that installs re-built
stuff...should he be "re-evaluated" for even being a mechanic? What
about your "rebuild" of the door lock module? That is a critical
part since that part can cause a FIRE if done improperly...should
YOU be re-evaluated for even being a vendor!? Or how about your
fudged setup of your fuel systems using straight fuel line for the
pick up line in the tank that can kink when installed instead of
using the proper formed one that will lie the way it is formed. Or
what about all the other components that you "re-build"!?

Your also calling anyone that uses another setup over another that
costs less CHEAP? Hell I don't know about you but the economy is
down the crapper right now and every penny I own is watched very
carefully. I don't consider that being "cheap". If people out there
are well off and can afford to buy 2 cars and all the "expensive"
parts then good for them...I'm not one of them. Doesn't make me
cheap though just careful with my money. I do my homework before
doing any modification that deviates from the Delorean's setup. It's
4 years now and I am still restoring/modifying my Delorean. Between
$$$ and working out problems it's taking me that long. I guess what
your saying then is that I should have no right in owning this
vehicle then...well I have news for you...tough S---! I own one. I
do not believe in the rush/slap together job.

Let's define "re-built". The guy I purchased the alternator replaces
all electronics in the alternator, the bearings with high quality
ones and the brushes. The only things that do not get changed are
the casing and armature that has the windings. Where do you get your
rebuilt ones from that they only replace the bad stuff only!?

You do not have to change the lower mounting brace, read the
instructions again and look at the picture. The same lower mounting
bracket is used along with the original belt and bolts. Look...when
I did this there was no other available swap for around $100. The
alternator I have is rebuilt with a lifetime warranty. Fact is, new
or rebuilt the alternator will go at anytime; whether the alternator
outlast the car or blows out a week after you install it. I never
said this is THE best way, but just another way. People will do what
they want with their cars even if it means to put 2 engines in it or
make it into a monster truck or whatever. If someone wants to put a
common reliable cheap alternator in their D's...that's their choice.
It's not installed half assed; a new pig tail is installed and
not "hotwired" and the alternator is mounted sturdy. If someone was
to buy my car tomorrow and needed to replace the alternator for
whatever reason it's very simple and straight forward. Most likely
the people who will be installing these themselves will have the
knowledge to know what's wrong if it doesn't work. Others who have
no idea but want this will be leaving it up to their mechanic. I
would rather have this alternator...even if it turned out to be more
expensive (which it isn't, it's much cheaper) for the peace of mind
if I take my car out of state and God forbid for whatever reason the
alternator goes. I can skip down to any auto parts store and swap it
out and install it with minimal tools that day and continue my
journey. It's the peace of mind for me. Same thing with the water
pump...I purchased the common available Volvo water pump with the
bolt on pulley and purchased the bolt on pulley for it to work with
the Delorean from Darryl. Again, no special presses needed or having
to wait for a shipment to come in...trip to the auto parts store and
I'm off and running again. Everything is reliable, not half assed
installed or "fudged" to work. If you look at my setup you would
think it came like that from the factory. I'm not bashing any of the
D venders set up at all....it very simple and clean and it's also
the best setup for someone who wants to install it with no work at
all or someone that wants to run Concourse at times; they can swap
the alternator out with the original that came with the car when
needed. I went my route since I have a good friend that runs an
alternator rebuild shop and I got it dirt cheap and didn't need a
core. Other people that had emailed me have said the same
thing...one of them had even said that they (or a friend of theirs)
works directly for GM and that they can get the alternator for next
to nothing. You can buy NEW alternators....I choose a rebuild since
I've always used my friends rebuilt alternators and they have never
given me a problem and have actually outlasted some new ones...not
to mention a lifetime guarantee on it (not because that I knew the
guy because that's his written policy). And no I can't start getting
alternators from him to start selling to people...he supplies the
automotive parts industry and he did me a favor to give me one
without a core. If I started to buy them from him with no cores he
would start loosing since he wouldn't have those cores coming in to
rebuild to replenish his supply. You can get alternators without a
core…just have to pay a core charge (or give them your original D's
alternator, they sometimes accept that).

Bottom line, it's just another choice for someone to do…that's all.
People will do what they want with theirs cars.

I'm done venting.

Steve ("The unfit delorean owner" according to Mr. Hervey)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., dherv10_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Steve,
> I read the article, It's good. But I don't understand why someone
would want
> to cut down the alternator mounting bracket, change the lower
mounting brace
> and get a rebuilt alternator ( used parts ) when they can get a
brand new 110
> amp+ for $179.00 with all New Delco parts and in most locations
available
> parts and if everything is OK with the cars wiring and something
isn't going
> to short out the regulator and would last another 20 years. Not to
omit the (
> Free ) tech help if something goes wrong. I don't think Pep Boys
will
> understand the circuit on the car. If  $68.00 or so exchange and
lifetime
> warranty is the best someone can afford for a critical part of the
car, then
> maybe and evaluation of whether they should own a DeLorean should
be in
> question. ??????.
> Are we that cheap. Whether you buy the alternator from me or any
of the other
> Delorean vendors that we support and give free tech help just like
myself,
> Rob Grady, DMC Houston ,DMC Joe and DMC California and others, I
don't
> understand what's the big deal. 110 amp will get you by if that is
all you
> want but if you need more current or you sell the car after the
> modifications, then the next poor soul will have to contend with
the
> modification job done on the car.
> We all hear enough about electrical mod's done and other mod's
done that next
> one doesn't understand what the last one did. There were no
instructions left
> for the next owner.
> I just don't understand why we have to be so cheap. Pep Boys and
others can't
> support the car.
> John Hervey
> www.specialTauto.com
>

> The alternator is a Delco 7939-3i that is from a 90-91 Chevy
Lumina with a
> 3.1 Litre engine. It is rated to output 105 amps, although the
unit I have
> outputs 114 max. Keep in mind that every rebuilt alternator is
going to have
> a different max output on the amps. The casing of this alternator
is about
> the same size as the Ducellier, but the mounting holes are
different. When
> purchasing the Alternator ask the parts guy if he can swap the
Serpentine
> belt pulley that comes with the Alternator with a Single belt
pulley.

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:00:37 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Hard start when cold

The fuel smell could be from something leaking at the fuel tank when
you fill it up all the way. Try to take notice if it happens when full
or if it smells at any time. Very unlikely the distributer has
anything to do with overheating unless the timming is WAY off and it
would noticably affect performance. On a 20 + year old car you need to
keep a continuing fund for maintainence and repair. Your mechanic who
is "cutting you a break" may charge less per hour but if he isn't
familiar with working on the car will just take longer then he should
so is that a deal? You might be better off in the long run to get the
car to someone who can fix it once and for all. It is really rare
that you need to "rebuild" the distributer. It might help if you can
get your mechanic to talk to one of the Delorean venders for advice on
how to get the car into shape. In 15 min on the phone it could save
hours of labor and $'s in parts.

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:11:44 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: R134 blue caps

When converting to R-134 you are supposed to install new service
fittings so you can't use the 1/4 shrader fittings anymore. Generally
you remove the shrader valves in the 1/4 existing fittings and attach
a new adapter valve on top of it. If the dust caps have a dimple
inside that presses on the shrader valve then you are using the wrong
dust cap. The dust cap is not for sealing purposes, it is only to keep
the valve clean. They are supposed to be snug (finger tight). Most are
plastic and overtightening them will crack them. If you are still on
R-12 and someone replaced missing dust caps it is possible they are
wrong for this application. It is really easy when servicing A/C to
mix up dust caps for the Freon, the service valves, and service
gauges, etc. If this happens, to be safe, replace the caps or someone
someday may notice they are loose and tighten them up causing this
problem again. Leaving them loose they may fall off or at least let
dirt into the valve.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> You learn something new every day...
>
> Answering an eMail question for a fellow, put a gauge on my
DeLorean's
> A/C. Quick connect adapter spit at me when I removed blue cap. And
> I've lost freon. Appears cap was pressing slightly on shrader valve
> all this time. Is possibile I mixed brands of adapters/blue caps.
Have

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:33:01 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Restaurant with a DeLOREAN

Hello List,
    While messing around on the Internet I found a page that was selling
restaurant gift certificates and something caught my eye.  "Club Boomers"  In
Scio New York apparently has a DeLorean on display in there
museum/restaurant.  Are there any owners in New York that know about this
place?  I may have to take a road trip out to see for myself.

later

Dave
vin#6286

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:52:57 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: R134 conversion fittings

I know all about R134 conversion fittings. I've got 5 on various
vehicles of my own, not counting all the other cars I've assisted.

The original R12 shrader valve remains in place. The adapter actually
presses on this valve (it's nothing more than a glorified pin within a
quick connect housing). The cap has a threaded dimple because the
threads are INSIDE the fitting.

I'm just cautioning people to be aware that freon may leak if the
dimple engages the pin which then engages the shrader valve. It
appears to be an insidious ever so slow leak. Different manufacturers
may have slight variations in pin length, dimple depth, etc. Even the
same manufacturer may have production variations. It isn't a function
of overtightening the cap either. The D's WAS finger tight. It's
finger looser now.

If it makes you feel any better, none of the Lincolns spit when I
loosened theirs.

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 20:20:26 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: electronic challange for all

I have a small electronic challenge for anyone who wants to help me out.

I have a Sears "Security" Die-hard battery which shut itself off if its
voltage drops below a certain level (around 10 volts), in order to preserve
enough juice to start the car when I return (in case of the low current
drain many of us experience).   It's a great feature - I only drive my car
once a week or so, and the battery is always charged enough to start the car
once I reset it with the key-fob remote.

I also have a new Alpine radio.  As you can suspect, each and every time the
batter turns itself off, I lose all the settings and presets, and there are
alot of them on this head unit.

I'd like to install an small, auxiliary 12 volt battery to keep the radio
powered when the main battery cuts out. A system with a relay will most
likely not work, since any momentary loss of power causes the radio to reset
itself. Is there a way to wire a second battery to the radio that will power
the radio, but not also feed whatever is draining the charge of the main
battery?    If someone can describe the schematic and required parts, I can
build it.  As a bonus feature, I'd like this circuit to allow the aux
battery to be charged like the main battery when the car is running. I
figure some diodes would do the trick, but I don't know enough about what
kind or how to build the actual circuit.  Is it as simple as wiring a second
battery in parallel with a diode or two to prevent current from flowing from
the aux battery back to the main battery, and then feeding the power from
the aux battery to the radio?  That's about the limit of my electronic
knowledge. This is where I need help.

Also, I'm not looking for suggestions on solving the low current drain, I've
tried many many things and still can't locate it. Thanks.

-Hank Eskin

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:09:38 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

I think with all the other myth and folklore about our cars, this is a
minor issue.  Even if some people do take notice of this little bit of
information, it will not drastically change the general publics
knowledge in any major way.

If anything, they should put a disclaimer(s) that Delorean was not
smuggling drugs in the cars, that he is CURRENTLY still in jail,
etc....etc..etc....

That is definately a fact about the cars being used in the films that
I was unaware of. Any idea as to why someone would go to all the
trouble to do a complete engine swap, let alone one for a smaller
engine for the movie shoots? Perhaps this could greatly shed some
light as to why some people insist that the cars came with 4 cylinder
engines.

Though if true, perhaps the wording used on the new DVD's should be
modified to give a disclaimer to say that the original V6 was
replaced.

-Moderators: I know that BTTF topics are normal discouraged on the
list here. However, this does indeed appear to be a specific topic
directly relating to our cars.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Stephen Clark" <stephen_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> > I recently purchased the DVD version Back to the Future (its
> available
> > in England now) In the commentary it says that all Deloreans had 4
> > cylinder Volvo engines.
>
> The "Animated Anecdotes" trivia track on the DVDs is speaking
> specifically about the seven DeLoreans used in the three films, not
> the other 8,576 cars which were not.  Some heavy modifications were
> made to the cars (obviously) for use in the films.
>
> Stephen Clark
> BTTF.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:29:28 -0000
From: "Christopher" <michaelcaine100_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: DeLorean in GTA3

has anyone seen it? I just recently downloaded it from
http://gtaworld.nfscheats.com/index.php and its cool!

A must have for any GTA3 owner