From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1209
Date: Monday, September 23, 2002 5:48 PM

1. Re: electronic challange for all
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

2. Re: electronic challange for all
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: electronic challange for all
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: Alternators: Rebuilt vs Remanufactured
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Door lock module & Fire
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Fuel pick up line replacement
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Help prevent Propagation of Delorean Myths from BTTF
From: "Dan" <danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. RE: Re: Help prevent Propagation of Delorean Myths from BTTF
From: Jordan Bouvier <jordanb_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Re: Re: Help prevent Propagation of Delorean Myths from BTTF
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

10. RE: Re: Painted Factory Cars?
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

11. Re: Painted Factory Cars?
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

12. AutoFest Car Show - Evansville
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Water Pump Replacement
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. RE: Car audio question..
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

15. Re: R134 conversion fittings
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Bricklin related story w/DeLorean mention.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

17. Drum roll please...
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

18. Red delorean in hawaii
From: "deloreanman7777" <DavidBloom722_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. New article in Tech Section
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. LEGEND twin turbo
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

21. RE: Re: Help prevent Propagation of Delorean Myths from BTT F
From: robin.coombe_at_dml_oxinst.co.uk

22. Re: electronic challange for all
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

23. delorean computer pointers
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Window Tint
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

25. Downfall of the DMC?
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:44:24 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: electronic challange for all

Follow up - I asked the moderators to kill my last note since I found a
solution (battery isolators) for my problem after I posted my question to
the list , but I have a follow-up question:

I found an almost perfect and simple solution for my problem here:
http://www.bagotronix.com/radiopwr.pdf

I have two concerns about this circuit. First, my car radio can has a high
current draw on the power lead, so I think IN4001 diodes would not be able
to handle the current load.  Can anyone suggest more proper power diodes I
can use for this application?    Second, I do not plan on using a 9volt
ni-cad battery as my backup battery, but rather a motorcycle or other small
lead-acid battery to keep the power to the radio for many weeks at a time in
case the main battery shuts off.  Would I still need a resistor in the
circuit, and if so, what value?  Besides these two issues, I think this is a
great and simple solution.  Thanks in advance.

-Hank

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:10:47 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Hank, Not being familiar with the battery. Is there no where on the external
part of the battery that would have a hot connection when it shuts off. Also,
Alternators that have marginal diodes can leak to ground causing current
drain.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

<< I'd like to install an small, auxiliary 12 volt battery to keep the radio
 powered when the main battery cuts out. A system with a relay will most
 likely not work, since any momentary loss of power causes the radio to reset
 itself. Is there a way to wire a second battery to the radio that will power
 the radio, but not also feed whatever is draining the charge of the main
 battery? >>

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:46:54 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Hank

The simplest way is exactly as you describe - get one hefty diode and
connect the stereo's main power feed up via it. You can then wire up an
auxiliary 12v pack feeding the stereo UPSTREAM of the diode. As soon as
the main battery/alternator outputs 0.7v more than the aux pack, it will
be topped up, but the diode will prevent the aux pack leaking out to the
rest of the car's systems..

The disadvantage is that you are using a doide in a fairly high current
application. Just make sure it's not thermally insulated, and spend a
few $$ on a decent one, and I'm sure it'll be fine.

I would suggest a small sealed lead acid cell from a manufacturer like
Yuasa, or alternatively you could go all high-tech and buy a 12v NiMH or
NiCad Sub-C pack from www.battlepacks.com

As to the phantom current drain, have you tried unplugging the main
harness to the lock module (if you have a stock one) - even if the main
red wire is disconnected, the module can still draw current if some of
its components are dying.

Martin
#1458 & #4427

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:51:02 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Alternators: Rebuilt vs Remanufactured

Group, There is a difference in a rebuilt alternator, a remanufactured
alternator.
A rebuilt alternator may or may not have NEW, let me say it again new parts,
such as regulator, diodes, stator and rotor. Due to the demand for profit and
the large chains going out for the low bid, it forces the rebuilder to cut
corners and reuse used parts.
Yes, they take them apart, clean them up, install new bearings and while this
is going on, someone else is checking the diodes, regulator, stator, rotor
for reuse.
This is why test equipment has been built for it and test benches are set up
to test the used parts. Yes, They can give you life warranty on the
alternator, but not on the labor to reinstall. I know, when I got married
about 6 years ago my wife had had a Pep Boys rebuilt alternator installed on
her car. After the 3rd replacement in less than three years, I got my money
back and had a new one built buy a Remanufacturer and the problem was solved.
ReManufacturer, This is a company that tears the alternator apart and will in
most cases reuse the case and sometimes the rotor. But the diodes, regulator,
brushes  are replaced with new parts along with the bearings, terminals and
other parts. If the rotor shows little to no wear on the comutator , then it
can be turned and used again. In a lot of cases a used rotor which is the
part that turns at about 6000 RPM's is better used then new. It already been
spun and didn't come apart. Our new computer machine will spin them at about
6800 RPM's for a short time.
Then you have new. All new everything.
What I'm saying is, yes some of you may have access to a rebuilder that will
rebuild and alternator with all new parts because your asking them to do that
or standing over them watching them. But most of you that don't and will be
the victim as I was to the rebuilders cheap stuff out of the box at the auto
supply stores.
How do you think they get the price down so low and compete with each other.
In most cases the alternators come from the same source and they use
different color boxes. I know, I work with a remanufacturer and he has been
in the business for 20+ years.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
We build new alternators

<< Your argument is not valid with "maybe and evaluation of whether
 they should own a DeLorean should be in question" if they decide to
 install a rebuilt alternator. What you are saying is that then
 ANYONE with ANY car should be re-evaluated in owning ANY car if they
 install a rebuilt alternator. Are you saying that anyone that owns a
 motor vehicle should not be entitled to own one if they install
 anything rebuilt? Or even a mechanic that installs re-built  >>

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:00:02 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Door lock module & Fire

If a door lock module is over fused which most are, then rebuilt,
remanufactured or new can cause a fire. If I repair one, I replace the 2
relay's in the black box and replace the diodes and check for any other
component failure.
DeLorean owners buy relay kits for the car, but very seldom does anyone ever
mention the two relay's in the door lock module. They are normally the worst
and none ever gets replaced because you can see them. So, yes if your over
fused and never replaced the relays you stand a chance as Steve say's of
causing a fire.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

<< What
 about your "rebuild" of the door lock module? That is a critical
 part since that part can cause a FIRE if done improperly >>

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:13:30 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel pick up line replacement

Group, I hope everybody is learning something out of this exchange.
 Well, I've never been called fudged, so I guess the first time for
everything. The fuel line replacement pick up has been praised by several. No
line to collapse, less noise due to complications in pick up and piece of
mind knowing there isn't all that stuff in the tank. It's a very simple
design that maybe should have been done in the first place. I have also been
asked several times why someone hadn't thought of it earlier.
There is nothing to kink. If the instructions are followed, the filter hooks
on the bottom of the pump and that's it. Simple.  All I can say is that it
works at least so far.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

<< Or how about your
 fudged setup of your fuel systems using straight fuel line for the
 pick up line in the tank that can kink when installed instead of
 using the proper formed one that will lie the way it is formed. >>

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:11:53 -0000
From: "Dan" <danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Help prevent Propagation of Delorean Myths from BTTF

 that he is CURRENTLY still in jail,
> etc....etc..etc....

You mean.. he's never been in jail with regards to the car?

Also, I don't know how accurate this is but the DeLoreans in the film actually still ran the standard common as muck PRV V6 we all so love dearly... the car sound was dubbed from a V8. In fact a US company (posted on here some time back) was contracted to put an engine back in to a DeLorean that had been used as a show piece (why the engine was removed is beyond me)... if you look closely in BTTF3 you'll see that when Doc is trying to get the car running in the 1800s he manages to blow the distributer (I think) off the car... and it's stock!

Just my 2p

Dan
Vin#5284 - Hana - www.projectmadness.com - UK based

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jordan Bouvier <jordanb_at_dml_delorean.com>

Perhaps I have been misinformed but it was my understanding that he (JZD) was not only NOT in jail, but that he had resolved almost all legal action against him .

-Jordan Bouvier

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email_at_dml_yourgroup.org by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:02:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

I think its much more likely that the engines were
never removed and the film makers,like many
others,just got their facts wrong and think the car
has a four cylinder engine.
Andrew
Sydney

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:57:00 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Painted Factory Cars?

I too saw this fender with the "paint sample".  A few years back, James posted that this was not paint, but just colored tape.  It did look cool, because you could still see the stainless grain though the color "tint".

At the time, I suggested that anyone who wanted a colored delorean could get colored tape and cover the car in it.  If you get sick of the color, tear it off and try another!

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Painted Factory Cars?

Although I am really
> sorry to those people in other countries that there
> are only about 25-
> 30 right hand drive cars in existance.  Makes it
> much more special
> over there.  >
Tommy,
Don't feel sorry for us mate! A Left hand drive car
can easily be reborn as a right hand drive car like
mine and several others in Australia,just requires
heaps of $$. But your right that it does make them
just that bit rarer.
Best of luck with your own DeLorean adventure.
Andrew
Sydney

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:42:57 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: AutoFest Car Show - Evansville

  Just a reminder - the AutoFest / My Classic Car car show in Evansville
Indiana is next weekend, Sept 28 -29th - Currently it looks like we're going
to have 15 plus Deloreans making the trip plus the famous D-REX will be in
attendance. Anyone interested in attending is more then welcome to join in on
the fun.
  For more information check out - www.midstatedmc.com - in the events
section or e-mail me directly.

   Hope to see you there,  Marty Maier

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:46:39 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Water Pump Replacement

Steve, Darryl has a great pully and it works well when you can find the pump.
I don't know what auto supply store you go to, but nobody in Dallas, Texas
stocks the pumps for Darryls pully. They don't even stock my pump for the
push on pully.I have to order them several at a time to get the price down.
We have to remember that we are working with a 20+ year old car and stores
arn't stocking for V6 Volvo engines. Most are going to the crusher.  Fact is
that most people have a hard time Identifying which pump it is. I sent one to
England because they were even having a hard time identifying it. They
finally did, but they couldn't for a while.
John

<< Same thing with the water
 pump...I purchased the common available Volvo water pump with the
 bolt on pulley and purchased the bolt on pulley for it to work with
 the Delorean from Darryl. Again, no special presses needed or having
 to wait for a shipment to come in...trip to the auto parts store and
 I'm off and running again. >>

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:24:19 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Car audio question..

1.  Did you replace the speakers??  If not, it is likely this is the problem.  Most speakers in a car (harsh environment) will last at most 10 years before the foam surrounds dry out and crack.  The noise you describe is typical of this situation.  Best thing to do is replace them.

2.  On both of my cars (early and late 81) each speaker has its own set of wires from the center console to the speakers.  There may have been a "common" connection between each set of speakers (or all of them) at the radio connector, but if you want to use the stock wires it is best to cut that off and separate them.  Many high power car stereos use a "floating ground" system where there is no common ground.  Connecting them together will cause bad audio, and in some cases damage the stereo.  Your manual should tell you if it is common or floating ground.

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:07:05 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: R134 conversion fittings

Without getting into an argument about whether you should convert to
R-134a or not in any case although the conversion adapters will
depress the shrader valve best practice is to remove the existing
valve cores. The reason being is that to vacuum or charge the system
with the cores in place is difficult and time consuming. Since when
converting you will evacuate the system and recharge it is easy to
remove the valve cores. In normal servicing of automotive A/C systems
with R-12 most techs will use a valve tool to temporarly withdraw the
valve core out of the way. On R-134 systems with the proper
quick-connects there is no longer a need to do that so it makes no
sense to leave the valve cores in there. If there is a dimple inside
the dust cap that can depress the valve core you have the wrong dust
cap and it should be replaced. (someday someone may notice the cap is
loose and tighten it up!)
 There is an alternative to R-134a. I have had a lot of success with a
drop-in replacement known as R-414. It is a blended refrigerent
compatable with the lubricant for R-12. System pressures run very
close to R-12 and the system can be topped off twice without upsetting
the blend. It is best to change as much of the old refrigerent oil as
possible but that is always good advice. My longest experience has
been 6 months but the system blows colder then when using R-12, in
fact when filling the recomendation is to only use 80% of R-414 for a
full charge. It only costs about $12 lb as compared to R-12 _at_dml_ $60 lb
and you only need 2 lbs. It is compatable with all of the seals and
"O" rings. When changing to R-134a you are supposed to replace ALL
seals and "O" rings in addition to installing conversion adapters and
oil and a big label indicating the conversion. You only need the label
when changing over to R-414. Stick this post in the FWIW dept. BTW
only an EPA licensed A/C Tech is supposed to do a conversion or remove
the R-12.

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:38:27 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Bricklin related story w/DeLorean mention.

A quick story that has a small mention about the DeLorean, and the Bricklin.
Sense there are owners of both here on the list, I thought that I would pass it
along.

http://www.forbes.com/2002/04/23/0423yugo.html

On a more DeLorean related note, if Malcolm Bricklin and the Yugo of all
things can make a comeback, then I have quite a bit of confidense in JZD and
the D2 now.

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:33:10 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: Drum roll please...

Late into the thick Friday evening air, my neighbor and I prepared to slide
the time machine assembly into place. Would all the weeks of off-car
construction fit?

http://tg.vantagep.com/temp/index.php?page=finished&&link=1

Of course it did!

As you can guess, the rain held off on Friday all day and I was able to
complete phase 1. The sucky part is the fact it rained all day Saturday, but
I was able to keep the cover off long enough to win second place for next
years car show! Mine was the only one that said 2003. That seems
appropriate.

http://tg.vantagep.com/temp/images/trophy.jpg

The fogger worked perfectly, although I am going to wire the fans directly
to the terminals on the inverter. I guess I should have checked it earlier,
huh?

I have to say that it turned out better than I could have ever expected.

NOW onto phase 2.

This involves the top boxes with the field generator as well as the rear
side piping. I'm looking for ideas for the 2 boxes as well as the rubber
mounts. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:02:35 -0000
From: "deloreanman7777" <DavidBloom722_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Red delorean in hawaii

i was reading the old dml listings and i was wondering if anyone knew
the whereabouts of that red delorean that is here in hawaii. If
anyone has any info on that car i would appreciate it if you could
let me know, i am interested in buying the red D.

John
honolulu, hi
Vin#2030

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:35:43 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: New article in Tech Section

Hi All

I've re-edited my account of exhaust manifold gasket replacement,
including instructions for exhaust system removal, and included some
pictures. Dave Swingle has now uploaded the article and it can be found
here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/exhaustgasket.html

Best Wishes

Martin
#1458 & #4427

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:51:57 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: LEGEND twin turbo

I have exchanged messages with the design engineer of Legend Industries, and he verified that there were lower compression pistons used, along with "unique" bearings, valves, head bolts, and even the head gasket!

Others familiar with the project have also verified that there were special piston rings used, and were "loose" for the prototype engines...  I am told this is why a Legend build engine has a diesel like sound to it.  I can sample it and post it, if anyone is interested.

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:26:06 +0100
From: robin.coombe_at_dml_oxinst.co.uk

I don't know how accurate this information is but,

As far as I know Andy Snell ( A Delorean Owner here in the UK ) has one of
the Original PRV6 engines from one of the Deloreans that was removed for the
BTTF Films.
It is a Standard PRV6 with 0 (Zero) miles on it, looks great.

He is currently having it checked & cleaned (to make sure no water got into
it while it was sitting in a garage for 20 years).
Hopefully I'll see him again either next week or the week after, I'll try to
get some more information from him about where he got it from. I think he
got it from Dave Howarth (also in the UK).

Robin.

You mean.. he's never been in jail with regards to the car?

Also, I don't know how accurate this is but the DeLoreans in the film
actually still ran the standard common as muck PRV V6 we all so love
dearly... the car sound was dubbed from a V8. In fact a US company (posted
on here some time back) was contracted to put an engine back in to a
DeLorean that had been used as a show piece (why the engine was removed is
beyond me)... if you look closely in BTTF3 you'll see that when Doc is
trying to get the car running in the 1800s he manages to blow the
distributer (I think) off the car... and it's stock!

Just my 2p

Dan
Vin#5284 - Hana - www.projectmadness.com - UK based

+++ Virus-scanned by Messagelabs for Oxford Instruments +++

 ###  OXFORD INSTRUMENTS   http://www.oxford-instruments.com/  ###

Unless stated above to be non-confidential, this E-mail and any
attachments are private and confidential and are for the addressee
only and may not be used, copied or disclosed save to the addressee.
If you have received this E-mail in error please notify us upon receipt
and delete it from your records. Internet communications are not secure
and Oxford Instruments is not responsible for their abuse by third
parties nor for any alteration or corruption in transmission.

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:30:09 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

No you would not.

Martin
#1458 & #4426

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:31:22 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: delorean computer pointers

Working in the IT field, I hate it when I go to a users PC and see
beanie babies and stupid animated pointers, but.....in this case I
wouldn't mind.

I didn't create these, so download them and use them at your own risk.

http://members.tripod.com/~delorean_fade/pointers.html

Erik

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:52:44 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Window Tint

I have searched thru most of the messages and was surprised to find
no postings about window tinting - especially the Arizona ones.  I
live in Glendale, AZ and will be purchasing a Delorean next November
and will probably get the windows tinted.  I was wondering if anyone
had any problems having this service performed and what the
approxamate cost was.  I'm assuming the Delorean would have a total
of seven widows, (two on each door, rear window and the two next to
the engine compartment).  The last two I think I could avoid getting
tinted.

Johnny

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Downfall of the DMC?

Does anyone know the actuall reasons that DMC ended up
in bankrupcy? When all is said it seems to me that the
company did quite well in its short time. Was it just
that the DeLorean as an automoblibe didn't "fit the
nitch" at that time in history? sorta to much to soon?
or was it more related to competeing with the larger
companys? Would be amazing to suspend reality for one
instance and imagine where the DeLorean would be today
given it had continuted production.

Todd
Vin5386

=====