From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1211
Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 7:10 AM

1. Re: Delco Alternator Fuel Pick up, etc.
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

2. Final post on alternators
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. AW: Alternators: Rebuilt vs Remanufactured
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

4. warranties
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. Admin: Alternator hooplah
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

6. RE: Delorean Myths/DeLorean facts
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

7. Re: Las Vegas car for sale
From: "Ian Foster" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:03:00 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: Re: Delco Alternator Fuel Pick up, etc.

 >Well, I've never been called...

The point John, which seems to have eluded you, is to stop calling
people names and proposing criteria for whether or not they should even
own a DeLorean.

OMHO, Your recent email was not an informative DML posting, by a
reputable DeLorean Parts Supplier.  It was downright insulting, and it
hurt your reputation.

Personally, I value all DML inputs, even conflicting ones, but
name-calling and insults are unnecessary.

I value the contributions made by all of the vendors, but it is still my
choice whether to buy new or used parts from them. Their polite
assistance in helping me to make an informed decision is also
appreciated, but it is still my decision.

Gary

www.IN2TIME.com

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:07:47 -0000
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Final post on alternators

This is going to be my final post on this subject because I am not
about to get into a debate over it. I used this setup because it is
very reliable, inexpensive and I have the comfort knowing that if it
goes it can be replaced in a matter of hours not days waiting.
Others may like to go and get a bolt on replacement...that's fine
that is their own God given choice. People have asked me what I did,
wanted to know if I had instructions and I supplied them...that's
all. If anyone wants to know how I performed a modification I will
supply them with any instructions I can because I am that type of
guy. I don't expect anything in return and I don't make a dime off
it. If I have spare parts to sell I post it on the DML to give
people first crack at it even though I know I can make more money on
it on eBay. This is a hobby for me and others and when people have
the same interests and hobbies you help each other out...that's what
it's all about. I am not saying my setup is the best all
around...fact is any alternator will go..new, remanufactured or
rebuilt. Case in point I have heard numerous accounts of NEW
alternators from you John going and needing to be replaced. You can
say all you want and praise your stuff all you want.

What ticked me off it your previous post (and a LOT of other DML
list members) is you calling me and other Delorean owners "cheap" or
stating that I or anyone else in the Delorean community dose not
deserve to own a Delorean because we didn't buy something from you
or some other vendor or because we installed a remanufacture/rebuilt
part. That's just a dirty business practice (like "borrowing"
someone's name). You had a bad experience at Pep Boys...serves you
right...most mechanics there are straight out of trade school just
learning the ropes. Everyone can tell you stories about bad
experiences at mechanics. I have not once had a problem with any
rebuilt/remanufactured part that I have purchased from a reliable
auto parts store. In most cases they have out lived the actual car.

In my opinion if I was to go with a bolt on replacement I would go
with Rob's setup. Yes it's more expensive but I have only heard of
ONE failure on his setup and that was due to the mechanic screwing
it up while installing it. I do my homework...I talk to a lot of
Delorean owners on and off the list and I listen to what they
recommend and say. Most people will never admit to it because they
are afraid that if they complain about a vendor they will
be "banished" from purchasing stuff from them as one vendor does
now.

That's it....I'm done on this topic. If anyone else would like to
know of other "cheap" replacement parts contact me.

Steve ("el cheapo")

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:58:53 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Alternators: Rebuilt vs Remanufactured

Why be so complicated ?

I guess in about 90% of all failed alternators only the brushes need to be
replaced, that's about 5 Euro here in germany, done by yourself in less than
an hour !

And if necessary also a the front bearing can be replaced without any big
trouble.

The first one I replaced this way (only the brushes) is still driving
around, and that for about 60000 miles now. And my D will never see any
other alternator than the original one, as long as the diodes are ok.

Keep in mind, a regular alternator lasts about 100000 miles until the
brushes need to be replaced.
Why should the original Delorean one be worse ?

Elvis & 6548

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:00:36 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: warranties

Hey all,

can someone who has the original warranty folder answer this question for me:
what was the warranty offered with the DeLorean?  what were the different
terms? i think there was a body panel gaurantee, a 'bumper to bumper'
warranty, and then a powertrain warranty. could someone who has the actual
info please verify?

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:21:16 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Admin: Alternator hooplah

The alternator thread is heading into the personal territory (if it's
not already there). Further followups that can be construed as
personal in nature rather than informative and helpful will be
bounced.

  Knut (cann't we all just get along?)

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:58:50 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean Myths/DeLorean facts

DMCH had a nice postcard included with our packets from Memphis..  I only got one, so it's not like I can hand them out at shows.  Very nice photo on it too.

Something similar with a pointer to the DML may be nice.  Frankly, unless I am paid to advertise for a vendor, I wont.  :)

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:36:39 +0800
From: "Ian Foster" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>
Subject: Re: Las Vegas car for sale

Careful Mark,

I recently (2 weeks ago) had an unpleasant experience with a fellow selling
a 'D' in LasVegas. It was advertised in the LA papers for $14k.

Regards,        IAN
Vins 0780, 1205, and 6425