From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1214
Date: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 9:42 PM

1. Re: Delorean Myths/DeLorean facts
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: Delorean Myths/DeLorean facts
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

3. Re: Delorean Myths/DeLorean facts
From: dqauto_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Air Inlet Valve vs. outside airflow restriction
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: New SS Front Lower Control Arms!
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

6. Re: Paint for wheels (go with powder-coating)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

7. Re: Interesting news info on JZD estate...
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Parking my Delorean on a Hill
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

9. DeLorean Motor Company Manufacturer's Sourcebook
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

10. Trump Buying JZD's Estate
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Free DeLorean frame
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

12. DeLorean Anniversary
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

13. Fall Tour Hotel Reservations
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Paint for wheels
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

15. Re: Re: Paint for wheels (go with powder-coating)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jhamlin_at_dml_avart.net>

16. RE: Fall Tour Hotel Reservations
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

17. Re: Parking my Delorean on a Hill
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

18. Travis's Project
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

19. Re: Air Inlet Valve vs. outside airflow restriction
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

20. Re: D Wheels (paint, powder coat, polished or chromed?)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

21. Re: Parking my Delorean on a Hill
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

22. More BTTF News
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Re: Paint for wheels (go with powder-coating)
From: "Donald Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>

24. Re: Re: D Wheels (paint, powder coat, polished or chromed?)
From: PEDRO MALDONADO <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Parking my Delorean on a Hill
From: "Sean" <pugrambo_at_dml_nella.net.au>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:16:18 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Myths/DeLorean facts

I had made up a flashboard which has some really basic info about the
car. I modeled it after Gary Gore's flashboard. The company sent me
his copy and I changed it to include info particular to my car. For
anyone interested they are only about $40 and really look profesional.
If anyone is interested I can get the website or they go to all the
large shows. They can also make biz cards with a picture of your car
to hand out. I stick it onto the front bumper behind the front license
plate.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:24:15 -0000
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

> There are CD-R discs that are the size of a business card that can

A friend of mine currently produces the DBC (DIgital Business Cards -
 CD-R) including all content development and packaging.  He can
supply anything from the smaller 40mb cards up to full CD sized and
all in between.  I have seen a few of his designs and they look very
cool.  They can also be shaped to any design so a Delorean with the
doors open may be an idea.

If this idea moves forward and anyone would like me to contact him
for a quote please e-mail willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk.  If you want to
have a look at his website it www.vtec.uk.com.

Paul Jenkins

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:30:39 EDT
From: dqauto_at_dml_aol.com

On the same note...

I too would like to help with making CDr's for the DML.    I don't have a D
yet  :) but I am always working toward it someday for my collection. :)  I
think getting the message out about how great these cars are is very
important.  All of my babies are discontinued too and the parts and info are
getting harder and harder to get every year.

It has taken 3 times and almost 2 months to get the weatherstrip seals for my
door from Isuzu!!!  A good bit of all parts take weeks to get after I almost
get laughed out of the dealership when I explain that I used to have 6 and I
will again someday.  :)

If it weren't for all of the Zcar clubs out there...my Tyger (87 300zx) would
still be sitting somewhere for the lack of parts like my Black Beauty (88
Conquest TSI--which has been sitting for the lack of a discontinued core
plug!!!)...

I have a MAC G4 and 2 laptop G3's....but I am not too good at making
presentations.  I have a Mac DVD burner and a Sony CD burner too.

Anna Noe
No D Vin yet!

Impulse Turbos
300zx's
TSI
SVX
1 official parts getting/car towing Pathfinder!

Don't just dream the dream, live the dream, and drive Stainless!
DeLorean DMC-12...

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:26:30 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Air Inlet Valve vs. outside airflow restriction

In a message dated 9/24/02 6:40:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
mopar2me_at_dml_swbell.net writes:

  In the ongoing pursuit to get better performance I've been measureing
> the air inlet volume vs engine requirements at specified RPMs in an
> effort to sqeeze even an infantesimal amount of extra hoursepower out
> of my stock engine.

  Chris,
       Sounds like an interesting project. Can you explain to us exactly how
you are measuring the air inlet volumes Vs engine requirements at different
rpm's. What kind of equipment are you using, where are you taking these
measurements at in the system, is the engine being tested under load ?  And
do you have some actual numbers you can share with everyone ? The whole
secret to making power is air flow in and out.

    Thanks,  Marty

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:40:32 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: New SS Front Lower Control Arms!

Stian and List,

I just received my first set of SS lower control arms recently and I
must say they are impressive, in both the looks and extra strength.

I'm not sure if the ones in the website photo are the prototypes or
the production parts, but the production parts look even better in
person.  I will be installing the bushings and lower ball joints
after the Evansville Autofest show this weekend, so I should be able
to report back on the fit and tolerances as the arms are installed
with other OEM Delorean parts.

If anyone going to the Autofest show is interested in seeing the
production parts, I will bring them along this weekend.

See you at the show.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:52:08 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Paint for wheels (go with powder-coating)

Jamie,

I would highly recommend powder coating over painting OEM Delorean
wheels, as Steve mentioned.  It is also important to note that the
wheels should be completely stripped, then "pre-baked" to insure
the impurities have been removed from all the bare and oxidized areas
of the wheels.  When powder coating, make sure the entire wheel is
coated, leaving no bare areas for moisture to get under the coating.

Epoxy painting is another option but has it's own drawbacks, such as
reduced durability on aluminum versus using the same epoxy on steel
and it can be extremely difficult to remove from narrow creases when
it does eventually need to be removed and redone.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:29:32 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting news info on JZD estate...

The article appeared in the New Jersey edition of the New York Times.
I am trying to get it and if I can I will bring it with me to the Fall
Tour. It is something to the effect that Donald Trump is buying the
estate and has plans to turn it into a golf resort and housing
development. Mr Trump never buys anything all by himself, he puts
together a consortium that he can control. He may have released a
press release in advance of the sale for the free advertising it can
create. The Delorean estate was the largest private land parcel in the
entire State of New Jersey. The property even has frontage along Route
 78. It is so large there is a Villa separate from the mansion. That
is where 26 Deloreans turned up one day after the bankrupcy all around
the circle inside the Villa. If you can attend the Fall Tour Ed Russo,
the caretaker, has a lot of stories he will share with us about Mr
Delorean and the history of the Estate.

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:44:37 EDT
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Parking my Delorean on a Hill

Just a quick question about parking a 5-speed on a hill. Our driveway has a
medium  grade and sometimes if I dont have room in the garage I will park it
for a few hours or a day on the driveway. I have always driven 5-speeds and
whenever I park on any hill I keep the car in gear AND use the parking brake.
My question is it seems like when I put my D in gear with the car off it does
not engage and would roll backwards. SO it seems the onl ything holding my
car in place is the parking brake. Is this correct? Does the Delorean 5-speed
not engage when parked? My honda accord would stay put on the side of a
mountain if the car was parked and in gear......

As far as I know my transmission and clutch are fine.....

Mike C
Baltimore

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:16:36 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: DeLorean Motor Company Manufacturer's Sourcebook

Hello List!

I am trying to do research about DMC, and would
like to know if anyone knows if there is a list of all
the manufacturers who contributed to bringing the
DeLorean altogether.  I believe there were around 300
or so.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Robert G.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:44:58 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Trump Buying JZD's Estate

The article which looked like a press release appeared in the NY Times
on Sunday, 9/22 in the Real Estate section on the front page under
"Postings". The closing date is Oct 1. If you want to join the Trump
National Golf Club at Bedminster you better have $300,000. The mansion
is to become the Clubhouse. There will also be 14 estate homes built
along the golf course. BTW closings don't always happen quite as
planned so it should come as no surprise if it were to be delayed.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:54:16 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Free DeLorean frame

The frame is in southern New Hampshire.  My apologies for not
thinking to put this obviously important piece of info in my last
post.

Do keep in mind that everythings really rusty.  I expect that any
part you might want will require restorative maintenance.  Hence the
price.

Rick Gendreau

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:45:58 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: DeLorean Anniversary

What a day to spend my 2nd years anniversary...

Instead of driving it today I get to lie in bed,
sick with the flu... DAMN!

However, the past two years of ownership have been great,
even if I did have an accident causing major suspension damage...
Thank god, for insurance!

It's getting better with every time I work on it AND it gets
more of its own personality with customisation.

MAN I LOVE MY CAR!

Just had to get that said  ;-)

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:51:19 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Fall Tour Hotel Reservations

I just recieved a letter from the Marriot Hotel. It has been sold and
everyone will need to reconfirm their reservations. If you don't get
the letter you will still need to call to the hotel directly _at_dml_
609-452-7900 or Westin _at_dml_ 1-800-Westin1. It appears that Marriot sold
the hotel to Westin. It is now called the Westin Princeton Hotel. The
letter says the reservations will be honored (but I haven't called yet
so I wonder if they will also honor the rate?)

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:54:35 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Paint for wheels

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Jamie Hamlin <jhamlin_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This weekend I striped the paint off my wheels and was thinking of
> having
> them polished but after stripping them I found allot of
imperfections so
> I'm
> now thinking of just repainting them. Does anyone know the exact
paint
> color and number, I would like to go with something close to
original
> (maybe a little brighter) and base coat clear coat.....
>
> Thanks
> Jamie Hamlin
> Miami Fl.
> Vin# 002606

Hi Jim

Powdercoating is the official finish.  You can't go wrong doing
things the official way.  I can't vouch for it, since I painted
mine.  They came out nice.

I used a polyurethane finish by DuPont called IMRON.  I don't have
the stock number here, but the color was selected by bringing the
wheel into the paint shop, comparing with samples, and the color
match was very good.  I painted all the wheels to maintain
consistency of color. I would recommend that you do the same, but you
probably need to do all four anyway.

IMRON is very good, as it tends to stay flexible over time, and
sticks to things absurdly well, in my opinion.  (Anecdote: I once
mixed a batch in a glass measuring cup.  The paint stuck to the glass
so well, that as the leftover stuff in the cup cured, it put enough
tension on the container to make it implode into hundreds of pieces!
I was very impressed that it could stick so well to glass.  I use
plastic cups for mixing now.)

IMRON is not for use without good breathing equipment.  In addition
to all the usual nerve-liver-and kidney damaging hydrocarbons, in
contains isocyanates, which are extremely toxic in even small
amounts, and capable of causing severe allergic reactions.  I only
recommend this paint, or any other polyurethane automotive finish if
you have positive-pressure-ventilation breathing equipment, or want
to take the wheels to a body shop to have them do it, and tell them
what paint to use.  If you do use IMRON, clean the surface
thoroughly, and let the wheels cure a week before using them.

Good luck

Rick.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:40:27 -0400
From: Jamie Hamlin <jhamlin_at_dml_avart.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Paint for wheels (go with powder-coating)

Thanks Rich,

I'm going look in to powder coating now
have you ever had any D wheels polished?

Jamie

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:25:52 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Fall Tour Hotel Reservations

Dave, and all:

I have a group sales agreement with Marriott (which will be honored by Westin).  The agreement guarantees our group a minimum of 15 rooms.  If we go over 15 rooms they will gladly extend the rate for additional rooms as long as the hotel has them available.

There is a call in to my contact at the hotel to get more details on what this letter said, and if it is necessary to confirm your reservations.  I guess it could not hurt!  Either way, the rate for our group will not change with the hotel.

Marc

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:31:59 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Parking my Delorean on a Hill

In a message dated 9/25/02 10:28:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> Just a quick question about parking a 5-speed on a hill. Our driveway has a
> medium  grade and sometimes if I dont have room in the garage I will park
> it
> for a few hours or a day on the driveway. I have always driven 5-speeds and
>
> whenever I park on any hill I keep the car in gear AND use the parking
> brake.
> My question is it seems like when I put my D in gear with the car off it
> does
> not engage and would roll backwards. SO it seems the onl ything holding my
> car in place is the parking brake. Is this correct? Does the Delorean
> 5-speed
> not engage when parked? My honda accord would stay put on the side of a
> mountain if the car was parked and in gear......
>
> As far as I know my transmission and clutch are fine.....
>
> Mike C
> Baltimore

Mike,

do you use reverse or 1st gear?  the reverse gear is much more suited to
holding the car in place on an incline, which is different from most other
cars.  it has to do with how tall the ratio is.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:33:12 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Travis's Project

Travis,

What happened to your Project web site.

I have been following your work with great interest and admiration of your
artistic skill.

Do you have a new site?

Let me and the rest of us know.

Thanks

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031
DML
DMC Forum

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:21:45 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

When I removed this part from my car, all I did was replace it with a large
enough fresh air hose. That way I still have the air box conneccted tothe cold
air intake.

As for calibrating when I did have it installed, I did it, and it wasn't too difficult.
If you look closely at the side of the unit, and you'll see that the hinge for the
flap protrudes out. On the hinge there's a mark, and out from this on the box
assembly are the letters "C" & "H". I just set the thing out in the sun for a
couple of hours durring the heat of the day. Once it was hot, I just turned the
knob until the line matched up with the "H", and the cold air side was closed.
After that, I really didn't see that much of a difference. Granted though, this
was before my car had a tune up.

<SNIP>

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:13:11 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: D Wheels (paint, powder coat, polished or chromed?)

Jamie and List,

Polished wheels look great, when done correctly and if you wheels
have very few scratches or gouges that would need repair or refinsh.
The one main issue with polished wheels is that they are subject to
oxidation and can be difficult to clean brake dust off once oxidized.
So, at this point you have two options to keep the clean; wash and
polish them often or get the polished wheels clear coated.  Since the
polished wheels will oxidize on the inside of the rim, under the tire
it would be wise to clear coat any polished wheels.  As with powder
coating, make sure to "pre-bake" the bare wheels to remove impurities
befor polishing and clear coating.  Some powder coating places will
also recommend clear coating over the powder coat, for easy cleaning.

Another option I have seen is chroming the wheels.  While the prep
work is about the same as powder coating and the result may be a bit
too shiney for some tastes, the chromed wheels really clean up fast
with brake dust coming off with just a spray of the garden hose.

All depends on what look you are going for.  If you are going to redo
the wheels, spend the time and money to do it right the first time.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:06:15 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

The PRV is a low compression engine. Doesn't take much of an incline
to rotate it in gear. Have you tightened your parking brake cables? Is
really easy (and mine were 9/16 English!). They do stretch with time.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:10:19 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: More BTTF News

In a short news story on the radio this morning the news was that
Catherine Loyd (ex wife of Christopher Loyd) is suing for 31 years of
back alimony. The amount quoted was $1.2 million. Christopher Loyd was
the actor who portayed "Doc" in the BTTF movies and also appeared on
the television series Taxi.

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:48:55 -0700
From: "Donald Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>

Jamie,

I had my first set polished and the inner surfaces painted semi-gloss black.
While they looked great I was disappointed by the porosity in the casting
and the general quality of the polishing work.  Since then I have been
frustrated by the need to polish and the compound getting on the paint.  I
would do it again BUT...

The next set I had polished, chromed and painted.  Wow!!!!  I have since
done three more sets and have been delighted.  I have not seen the porosity
again (luck?) and the polish job was so precisely done as to look precision
machined.  The company that did the work is CICC and is in the LA, Calif.
area.  As I remember they cost a little over $110.00/wheel COD.

Don Ekhoff
Seegull

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: PEDRO MALDONADO <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I would like to know how to crome plate the wheels.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:17:39 -0000
From: "Sean" <pugrambo_at_dml_nella.net.au>

The PRV engines we use in australia have a comp ratio of 8.65:1 and
in manual form will sit on a hill in gear without any trouble
it does depend alot on your gear ratio's though
does the D have a high 1st gear ?