From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1217
Date: Friday, September 27, 2002 8:06 AM

1. RE: Re: Downfall of the DMC?
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

2. Re: RE: wheels - powder coat, paint, chrome
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. anybody in colorado??
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:56:09 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Downfall of the DMC?

If I had to narrow it down to one specific event that brought the company
down, I would say it was the decision in November of 1981 to double
production of cars from 40 a day to 80 a day. The country went into a
recession and had a very bad winter about a month after this, which affected
every car manufacturer negatively, especially DMC. JZD did this partly to
make the company look more impressive right before a planned public offering
of the company's stock that ended up being canceled. By doubling production
right before a market downturn, working capital was effectively used up, and
the market was flooded with Deloreans that were just sitting at the Quality
Assurance Centers in the US. This started a downward spiral that the company
wasn't able to recover from. A major gamble in the auto industry is to build
cars without adhering to dealer orders. Chrysler got itself into trouble in
the late seventies by doing this. In retrospect, if JZD would have cut
production in half, DMC may have lasted much longer than it did. It's likely
that DMC would have merged with or been bought by another auto company, by
this point. Global mergers have drastically reduced the amount of
independent auto companies. Smaller auto companies face a major problem in
that it takes very large sums of cash to function in the automotive
manufacturing industry, and the little guys don't have very deep pockets.
This was especially true for DMC. Whereas every penny they spent had to be
asked for, the big boys were functioning off of their own cash flow.
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:20:36 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: RE: wheels - powder coat, paint, chrome

Hey All,

speaking of wheels:
a couple years ago my wheels were powdercoated with a chromium leaf and they
looked EXCELLENT but have unfortunately become dull due to atmospheric
exposure.  i now want to replace these wheels with DMC Houston's polished
wheels or the machined finish wheels.  does anyone have any pics who own
these wheels so i can see what they look like on a car so i know which ones i
like better? i saw them off of cars when i was at the warehouse this summer
but i don't remember the difference anymore..

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 00:40:37 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: anybody in colorado??

would any experienced delorean owners want to take a look at a car
for me?....thought this might be worth a shot...thanx