From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1219
Date: Sunday, September 29, 2002 9:00 AM

1. RE: Re: Downfall of the DMC?
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

2. Re: Downfall of the DMC?
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

3. Downfall of DMC thread, opinion vs referencable information
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

4. Re: Italdesign D with saddle interior
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

5. Re: Problem with Lockzilla
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

6. Gold DMC interior
From: "dmc_delorean_2000" <dmc_delorean_2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. dmc houston open house
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

8. steering wheels for sale?
From: "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>

9. Momo hub info from Swedish club president!?
From: "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>

10. some help here guys
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. New Owner - a few questions
From: "saalexander2000" <stuartalexander_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:01:36 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Downfall of the DMC?

I agree on this point also. The conservative party that came to power in
England at this time wasn't as cooperative as the Labour party that approved
the original loan package to JZD. Whenever public funds are given to a
private company, the private company usually becomes a political football.
Same thing happened with Bricklin, and even to Chrysler. (The billion dollar
loan guarantee from the Carter administration wasn't looked on favorably by
the Reagan administration).

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:02:49 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Downfall of the DMC?

Hi Everyone,

I must agree with David...there is too many factors against
the British government that they could have changed.

Let me explain:
  First, we must remember...the DeLorean Manufacturing Company
was a brand new plant.  The actual DeLorean *Motor* Company
did not begin operating until sometime in 1980.

True, Parliament had thrown millions of pounds into the project, but
everyone knows that a company needs five years to produce a profit.

Given that, Parliament could have loaned small amounts at a time...just
enough to keep things running smoothly.  Chunk it up.

They could have also helped by not demanding all workers to be hired at
once.

And when DMC went into receivership--several months before John
DeLorean's
wrongful arrest--they could have stepped in and watched over things until
the
ball was rolling again.

They could have sold the facility to another manufacturer...everything
was already
set up....just reconfigure to your car.  Lotus or someone else may have
been elated!

But anyway, as I digress, there are several factors on behalf of the
British
government that could have been changed to make things run more
smoothly.,
given things weren't so heated with political debate back then.

It's late, I'm tired, my thoughts have become mush.  I'm going to bed
now!

Later Dayz,
Robert G.

Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 00:02:40 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Downfall of DMC thread, opinion vs referencable information

The DMC downfall thread seems to blur the line between personal
opinion and hard data/fact. Further messages on the topic are
expected to include facts/data that can clearly be distinguished from
opinion & conjecture.

   Knut (moderator this week)

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:38:56 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Italdesign D with saddle interior

The only unique prototype drawings of any DeLorean that I've ever seen are
ones to try and incorporate a rear passenger seat. The car in the background
is not a DeLorean prototype, but another car from Ital Design called the
"Medusa". The only source that ties this car to the DeLorean I've found is the
book, "Stainless Steel Illusion". It mentions that a four-door DeLorean was in
the works, and then cites a picture of the Medusa to try and show what it
would have looked like. But the Medusa is not a prototype car created for
DMC.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> On a side note, the car in the back ground looks like the sketch
> drawing of the future 4 door delorean.
<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:38:56 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Problem with Lockzilla

Like I said some days ago, the Door Lock Module drains 13mA during standby.
And that's not zero ! You don't even need to measure it, just take a look at
the schematic and
use the formula invented by Mr. Ohm.
I modified about 10 modules, and never had to replace the caps so far !
The relays need to be replaced because the contacts are always worn.
That's due to the fact, that the power for the relays only comes from the
caps.
While they are discharged (relays close contact) the voltage of the caps
drops
and also the current in the coil. The force of the relay depends of I*n
(I=current, N=number of windings). Now when the force drops slowly (and
that's how the module is designed to do), the contacts burn a little bit
everytime they have to open the circuit. In some cases the contacts may
stick together like being welded. That's exactly when you need new selenoids
afterwards. I talked to a friend who works for Marquardt (they make any kind
of switches, also the electronic keys for Mercedes) and he said reducing the
force slowly is the worst thing you can do for a contact.

Normaly these modules should all be replaced but this wouldn't be original
anymore. Instead replace the relays and the system will be ok for some more
years.

Elvis & 6548

#1458 & #4426

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:19:37 -0000
From: "dmc_delorean_2000" <dmc_delorean_2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Gold DMC interior

hi all
I know I've cause some trouble here in the past, but Im a changed man
and Im just an amature DeLorean owner looking for advice.

I really like The saddle brown (i belive its called) interior used on
one of the Gold DeLoreans. I would like to make my interior look like
that but Im not sure how to go about it. I could simply die the
entire interior but im not sure how long it would last. My interior
is black any i know you shouldnt put light on top of dark. also a
concern is that normal wear will cause the dye to flake off or simply
rub off after dried. the only other option i could realy think of
would be to go to a leather shop and have the whole interior recoved,
But that sounds very expensive and may lack quality or factory
stiching pathern. any body have any suggestions on this awkward
requst. any info would be greatly appriciated
Thanks
Tony Izzo
Vin#2467 (under construction)

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:48:54 -0500
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: dmc houston open house

i was wondering if there was any info on the next dmc houston open house available. if
there is any info available could someone send the info to me or post it on the dmc news
group.

thanks
mark

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:56:46 -0400
From: "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>
Subject: steering wheels for sale?

Does anyone have a delorean steering wheel that they would like to sell? ANY
CONDITION is fine.

Casey at putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu  go bucks!

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:49:40 -0400
From: "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>
Subject: Momo hub info from Swedish club president!?

I once talked to the Delorean Club of Sweden president who has a Momo steering wheel on his car. He said a 1976 Rover SD1 hub will fit. However I never got a part number from him and Momo makes hubs for both Range and Land Rovers. If anyone knows this guy's e-mail we should try to contact him to get more information, as a lot of Delorean owners would like to answer this question.

Casey at putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:22:40 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: some help here guys

im presently looking into purchasing an 81, its 100% stock with 855
miles, supposedly its been started twice a month to circulate fluids
etc... my question is this...the owner states that the only things
wrong to his knowledge(this is his aging fathers car) are that the
passenger window fell off track or the window regulator is bad and
the blower motor doesnt work....are these things indicative of the
car being used or is it possible they just went bad from
inactivity??....by the way i talkeed the seller down to 20 from the
22 he originally wanted....i tried to push 18gs but he wouldnt hear
of it.....thanx in advance

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 19:43:01 -0000
From: "saalexander2000" <stuartalexander_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: New Owner - a few questions

Hi,

I bought my DeLorean 3 months ago and am really pleased with it so
far.  I've already taken it on a 2000 mile trip to the South of France
and also 1000 miles around Scotland!  I've just got a few questions
for the list - hope you don't mind!

The car has black seats and dashboard with grey carpet.  I've never
seen any pics of cars with this combination.  Do you think the carpet
is non-original or maybe it's because it's quite a late car (Aug '82)
and they were using up what was left?

I want to upgrade the sound system but am having trouble finding rear
speakers (10 x 4 I think?).  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Also
is it worth buying the replacement console to take modern stereos or
does cutting the original work ok?

The windscreen washers don't work and I can't find the tubing from the
pump to the wiper - is there an easy way to get where it's supposed to
be?  I've removed the screw on panels in the luggage compartment but
there seems to be a hidden area behind the wing.

The car tends to bounce around when driving on less than perfect
roads.  I've fitted lowering springs to the front which have made it
more stable but it still doesn't inspire confidence to corner fast.
Are they generally like this or do I need new shocks?

Oh, it's a LHD manual with 42,000 miles.

Thanks for your time,

Stuart