From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1226
Date: Sunday, October 06, 2002 4:10 PM

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "deloreanman7777" <DavidBloom722_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

10. Re: Platinum +4 plugs...
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

11. those &^%$# door lights
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

12. BTTF pinball wanted
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Platinum +4 plugs...
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Weird Auto Box Question (definitely not the Governor Computer)
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: gold sunstars
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

16. Re: BTTF pinball wanted
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

17. Re: BTTF pinball wanted
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: those &^%$# door lights
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

19. RE: Broken radio needed
From: "Jerry Condray" <genghis_at_dml_sctelcom.net>

20. Re: Re: BTTF pinball wanted
From: Corey Stup <corey_at_dml_stup.net>

21. Anyone have a damaged engine cover f/s?
From: "at88mph" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

22. Stainless Steel Illusion prices
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

23. The D gets cheaper every day.
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: The D gets cheaper every day.
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 12:03:28 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Stainless Steel Illusion

Robert, As a book wholesaler and in the world of books, The first run of a
lot of books of high profile people is the most valuable to collectors.
Limited edition ( small print run)  autographed and Hard cover escalate the
price also. I just got a contract on Emmett Smith for the sports fans.
When he brakes the record the book's 1st print run will always be the most
valuable to collectors after it's sold out.
John Hervey
You didn't know I sold books also.
www.special T auto.com

<< Exactly what makes the book
 "Stainless Steel Illusion" so valuable?  >>

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 11:31:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine Measurments

Does anyone have the exact measurements for the PRV
engine handy? and also the mesurments for the engine
compartment?

Todd
Vin 5386

=====
For up to the minute details on the restoration of Vin5386 point your browser to, http://www.khpindustries.com/stainlessrestorations.html

http://faith.yahoo.com

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 14:41:54 EDT
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Platinum +4 plugs...

I switched from the Bosch Super plugs to the Autolite double plats and I have
been very satisfied with the results.  Not only do they last longer, they
seem to add more power.

Best wishes to all
Andrew

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 16:51:01 -0500
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

As moderator this week I'm going to end the thread on the CD copy of
Stainless Steel Illusion and advise further correspondence  be done
privately with Kenneth. It is an infringement on a copy written work and
it's not DMC News position to be acting as a broker in this.

Bruce Benson, this week's moderator

Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:18:21 -0000
From: "deloreanman7777" <DavidBloom722_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: gold sunstars

Did the Gold sunstar deloreans ever come in yet?

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 18:39:19 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine Measurments

Todd, What measurements do you need. I have an engine in the garage.
John Hervey

<<Does anyone have the exact measurements for the PRV
 engine handy? and also the measurements for the engine
 compartment?

 Todd
 Vin 5386 >>

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 18:57:33 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Adam, I'll give you my version of plugs since I sell them and have worked
with them for years.

Our standard plug in the Delorean is the: HR6

HR6, Cold plug,, More for long drives and not short hops. Will carbon up
faster because the plug doesn't have time to heat up and burn off
contaminants.
HR7, Little hotter, Better than above.
HR8, Medium range, Bosch Platinum + 4 also medium heat range. This plug will
heat up faster to burn off the contaminants, and better if your burning a
little oil. Due to the least resistance will perform better at idle and
running of the car.
HR9, Same, hotter plug especially if your burning a little oil.
HR10,  Hot plug, could cause preignition, but will burn of oil and
contaminants best.

To me, Plugs should be tailored to your normal driving habits and the age of
the car.
I have charts on the web site about plug burning and heat temps if you need
more info.

<< Can anyone who has used these plugs give me their opinion of them? I
 am doing a tune-up soon and am thinking of using these plugs. Also
 what heat rating do you suggest for an engine with 75,000 miles on
 it, is it different for the platinum plugs?

 thanks for all input!

 Adam

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 17:04:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I'm just trying to figure out what exact space the PRV
takes up in the engine compartment. the actual widest
point on the engine and the tallest point on the
engine. and the longest point on the engine from the
front to the rear houseing. Any measurements on the
engine bay would be handy too, like what the actuall
largest usable point in the bay. or the largest square
area that can be occupied. It's a difficullt question
I know. I saw something on this subject probally a
year ago or so but I couln't find it in the acrhives.

on a side note:
I'm almost done with my preliminary research on
upgrades. :D

Todd
Vin 5386

=====

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 21:16:27 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Broken radio needed

For one of my mad scientist projects, I am looking for a non-functional
Craig radio. The front bezel must be cosmetically perfect (or close),
but I don't care at all whether the electronics work (including the
display). I don't even care if it *has* electronics.

If anybody has such an item collecting dust that they would be willing
to part with on reasonable terms, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 01:59:32 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Adam - I installed Bosch +4 plugs in Winged1 about a year ago, and
have been very pleased with them.  They seem to stay clean, and the
engine is running very smooth.  Before the +4's, I ran regular Bosch
platinum's, and they seemed to last >25,000 miles with no sign of
deterioration.  I now have the +4's in my Explorer, and my Dodge
Intrepid, and have no complaints at all.  I suspect that plugs are
just like oil ... everybody has an opinion, and they are all
different.  As long as you use a good quality plug, and all the
other components in your ignition system are top notch, I don't
think you can go wrong.  The medium heat range works well for me,
and Winged1 has about 77,000 miles, so we are at about the same
place in the life of our engines, all things being equal.  At about
$6 each, the +4's are a bit steep, but look at the "Split Fires".
Those things were about the same price, and lasted a fraction of the
miles before they were showing signs of wear.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:07:35 EDT
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: those &^%$# door lights

I have the most frustrating door lights of all time.....I can sit there a
million times and push the little door light/door ajar button and the lights
go out instantly. As soon as I close the door, the lights stay on!!!!!....Is
this magic? Obviously the door closing shut is not pushing that little knob
at all or maybe somehting is shorting somewhere...

I have the rubber tip on it and it is secured correctly on the side of
dash.....My door closes perfectly. I know these lights staying on is a common
problem and a major source of battery drain. When I drive, the red door ajar
light blinks intermittently just to remind me the problem is there :-)  I
have now just unhooked the electricity to that switch until I find a
solution. I hate worrying every time I close the door that the lights are
going out and I'll have a dead battery after a few days...solutions?....Are
there better door switches out there?.....

Mike C

Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:20:12 EDT
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: BTTF pinball wanted

I have begun the search, or might well be a quest to find a nice condion Back
to the future pinball....I have seen a few on ebay and various other sights
but none seem to be in very good condition or the price seems to high....I
have looked through a well respected pinball news group and to say the game
is looked down upon is an understatement.

It begins with trashing the fact that they couldn't even get Michael J. Fox
on the backglass (the designers son was used) , to the bad stand-in for his
voice in the sound effects and gets worse from there.....That said I still am
thinking of adding this to my Delorean collection and getting one for my
first pinball machine...

Despite their unpopularity with pinball aficionados the game seems to be rare
despite the relatively large number made. The explanation is they are rotting
away in peoples basements and collecting dust....According to the price
guides this game is valued between $600-$1400 depending on condition.

With all that said. If anyone on the list has or knows of somone who is
selling or may sell their BTTF pinball I'd be interested.....if the price was
right....I am not in any real hurry but would like the opportunity to pick
one up before they disappear if someone had one in their basement collecting
dust....

Mike C
2109
billsfanmd(at)aol.com

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:34:52 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

While it is true that the platinum plugs wear at a much lower rate
they are a lot more expensive. I think it is a good idea to examine
the plugs once in a while and when you have the platinum plugs you
might never take them out. Also Rob Grady is noticing on cars that he
had tuned up years ago with the platinum plugs, when he takes them out
once in a while he finds that the procelin seal has leaked allowing
the combustion pressure to blow-by. He no longer recomends platinum
plugs. Most Deloreans are not putting a lot of mileage on so you could
go for years on the standard plug and not wear it out. Chances are
when you change the plug and notice an improvement you are only
noticing the effect of a new plug properly gapped over an old, worn
plug, not that the platinum is any better for performance, it just can
hold a gap longer.

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:44:01 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Weird Auto Box Question (definitely not the Governor Computer)

Since you say you have a custom-built shift computer you are going to
have to talk with the person that built it to answer your questions.
Without knowing how it works and what it does and what is "custom"
there is no way anyone else can help.
 In the meantime you can go over and double check all of the external
adjustments including fluid level, gearshift adjustment, and line
pressure. I don't think any of these are the problem but it can't hurt
to check anyway. While you are at it also check the final drive
lubricant level, it is always neglected. Make sure the kick-down micro
is adjusted right and the wiring and plugs going to it are clean and
tight. Use a meter on it to make sure it is working, check it when it
is hot too. Check the plugs going to the shift computer on the
firewall if that is where the plug still is for it.

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 05:10:53 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: gold sunstars

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "deloreanman7777" <DavidBloom722_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Did the Gold sunstar deloreans ever come in yet?
>
> John

I called Exoiticar,as they have the Gold Delorean pictured/listed in
their Catolog,(#2711 in their catolog)they said they they have NOT
recieved any  of the Gold Diecasts yet,and do not know when they are
going to get them.

Claude

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 14:48:16 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF pinball wanted

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., billsfanmd_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I have begun the search, or might well be a quest to find a nice
condion Back
> to the future pinball....I have seen a few on ebay and various
other sights
> but none seem to be in very good condition or the price seems to
high....I
> have looked through a well respected pinball news group and to say
the game
> is looked down upon is an understatement
<SNIP>

I researched a bit too about the BTTF pinball machine a while back as
well. I too would like to eventually add one to my DeLorean
collection one day. As far as pinball machines go, it is not one of
the more coveted ones. This has nothing to do with either the
DeLorean, nor the movie. Data East was the manufacturer, and when
they designed the unit, they really neglected it. Most noticably the
MJF stand-in picture, and voice over. Also, the scoring system is not
a modern LED display. Rather it is the old fashioned numerical
display. Which makes no sense as to why an LED display wasn't
included. The technology was indeed available _at_dml_ the time of
production, and was utilized on other games that DE released _at_dml_ the
same exact time.

Now for the plus side. Not everything on the playing field is BTTF
specific. You do have bumpers and what not that spell out "DELOREAN",
and "DMC". And the sound effects I am told are from an actual DMC-12.
Everything from the engine rev, right down to the horn are supposed
to be 100% accurate.

So from a movie standpoint, the machine isn't the most accurate. But
from a DeLorean standpoint, it is indeed desireable. Take advantage
of some of the low prices on the unit while you can.

Online, there are a couple of websites that broker in arcade machines
for people's private game rooms. So you may want to contact one of
them. Or, better yet, look in your local telephone book for arcade
machine dealers. They may have the contacts to obtain, if not the
machine and parts you're seeking in stock somewhere.

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 10:55:11 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 10/6/02 7:14:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com writes:
Mike, You may find them higher in the actual price range of $1400.00 to
$2,000.00.
I have been to the gaming auction here in Dallas and that's what they were
going for. Of course these were in excellent condition.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

That said I still am thinking of adding this to my Delorean collection and
getting one for my  first pinball machine According to the price guides this
game is valued between $600-$1400 depending on condition.

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:03:49 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: those &^%$# door lights

Mike, With a rubber tip on the end of the plunger, the rubber won't slip when
it comes in contact with the door and your probably pushing down instead of
pushing in. Put a small amount of electrical grease or a heavy oil ( to
experiment with ) on the part of the door the rubber plunger will hit so it
will slide in. You might put a small amount on the rubber plunger also.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 13:10:56 -0500
From: "Jerry Condray" <genghis_at_dml_sctelcom.net>
Subject: RE: Broken radio needed

Please let me look!  I think I have one.  Thanks, Jerry.

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 12:03:36 -0400
From: Corey Stup <corey_at_dml_stup.net>
Subject: Re: Re: BTTF pinball wanted

As a pinball collector/reseller AND a DMC owner, I must point out a few
errors.

> Data East was the manufacturer, and when
> they designed the unit, they really neglected it. Most noticably the
> MJF stand-in picture, and voice over.
Ever hear of licensing concerns?   MJF was not required to do anything
BTTF that he didn't want (or get paid) to do.  DE would have had to
license his likeness and voice seperately from the BTTF concept, story,
logo and artwork.  This would have most likely doubled or tripled the
licensing costs, and made the machine impossible (ie, not cost
effective) to produce.

> Also, the scoring system is not
> a modern LED display. Rather it is the old fashioned numerical
> display. Which makes no sense as to why an LED display wasn't
> included. The technology was indeed available _at_dml_ the time of
> production, and was utilized on other games that DE released _at_dml_ the
> same exact time.
Actually, its an alphanumeric dual 16 digit display.   BTTF the pinball
was released in June of 1990.  The first dot matrix (I guess this is
what you mean by "LED display"..  DE never used "LED"s, only a few early
80's manufactuers used actual LED elements.   Most were VFD or gas
discharge technology) was pioneered pinball-wide by Data East on
"Checkpoint" in February, 1991.   It was a 128x16 dot matrix display,
eventually they switched to a 128x32 size display that is still in use
today.

> And the sound effects I am told are from an actual DMC-12.
> Everything from the engine rev, right down to the horn are supposed
> to be 100% accurate.
Not sure where you read that.  Pinball sound labs can create most any
sound either in house or by purchasing sounds from outside sources.   I
know that Joe Kaminkow (designer of the machone) had a DeLorean at one
point, although I'm sure that he had one when they were designing the
BTTF machine.

I've owned several BTTF machines.   Last one I sold locally for $850.
I'd say most are available in that range.

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:31:49 -0500
From: "at88mph" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Anyone have a damaged engine cover f/s?

I'm lookin for a engine cover (pn 100593) that has some slight damage.  With
my engine swap, the intake sits slightly higher in the center and I don't
want to cut my good condition one.  I was hoping I could find someone on the
list that might have a damaged one they would want to part with for a decent
price.  Please feel free to email me off list.

Thanks in advance!

www.geocities.com/at88mph_1999

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 13:05:47 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Stainless Steel Illusion prices

So you think "Stainless Steel Illusion" is too pricey on the used book
market?  Look up the book called "Cards as weapons" by magician Ricky Jay.
Like SSI, it's an out of print classic that routinely goes for over $200, on
ebay.  Unlike the massive and beautiful SSI, it's a PAPERBACK, that went thru
several editions.  Call it supplyand demand.
DMC Texas has been mulling a reprint for years.  If you wait long enough,
there may be new copies for a lot less than used.
-Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 18:41:39 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: The D gets cheaper every day.

If the above statment is true, I'll get my Delorean in no time.

Ok, here is the reasoning.  Say it was the year 1982, and you had
pretty much unlimited resources to buy a car.  The first on you look
at is a DeLorean.  The standard price is a hefty 25 k.  Then for some
reason, you decided to buy a Honda, for only, oh, $3900.

You get in your Honda, turn on the flux capacitor and jolt yourself
to modern times, say 2003.  You still have your unlimited resources
because that Honda you bought 21 years ago, oops sorry, 5 minutes ago
didnt drain your wallet.  Now you pull up to a Honda dealer and a low
end model goes for $15,000.  Then you drive all the way from Northern
Maine to Huston, TX to price a refurbished DeLorean.  (Granted, you
didn't know Al Gore invented the internet, which could have saved you
some time!)

Anyway, once you arive you discover that a "NEW" Delorean costs 32K.
Then you pull out your trusty Accounting book size calculator and do
a little math.

The Honda in 1982 costs 3900 verus a 2003 model Honda for 15,000.
Thats an increase of 384%.

The DeLorean in 1982 was roughly $25,000, and a refurb one today
costs 33,000.  Thats 132% increase.

You quickly come to a conclusion, inflation is horrible, and a hover
conversion on your 1982 Honda will cost around 40 grand in 2015.  No,
thats not it.   The DeLorean however is adverting Inflaton rather
well despite the inferior counterparts of todays automobiles which
cost over 300% more.  My advice, the cost of our cars wont increase
in large intervals for another 10-20 years, when the DeLorean actualy
does become rather scarce as more people paint them, or reck them.

On a final note, I hate to say this, the somewhat outragious price
that D One has on its cars should be correct for today.  After all,
what are people's estimates on what they think your car is worth?
Darn, I guess they are right after all.  (Just dont increase the
price yet till I get my own car, thanks a lot!)

Tom Porter

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 12:35:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The D gets cheaper every day.

I actually had a simular expierence last saturday,
well minus the time traveling honda. I was at a
clients house and we got talking cars somehow. The
DeLorean came up and instantlly she quoted a price
around $150,000, imagine how many you could buy with
that? even my neighbour has quoted values around
$75,000 to $100,000. Perhapse this is the way gossip
starts?

Todd
Vin 5386