From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1240
Date: Thursday, October 17, 2002 1:27 PM

1. Re: DeLorean financing
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: DMC found at original dealership! legal issues...
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Fall Foilage Tour 2 way radio info
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: [ncdmc] Pilot car Photos
From: Gary Valenziano <piason_at_dml_attbi.com>

5. Re: DeLorean financing (Florida car)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. JZD at foliage tour?
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: valve cover reassembly
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Re: DMC found at original dealership! legal issues...
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

9. Re: valve cover reassembly
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>

10. Re: valve cover reassembly
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>

11. Re: Re: DeLorean financing
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: SS Free Flow Exhaust (and photos)
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>

13. Rotary D up on EBAY
From: ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com

14. Re: Ironic here- Practical no where else
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

15. Re: DMC found at original dealership! legal issues...
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Delorean Jacket
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

17. DeLorean Midatlantic Fall Foliage Tour Passenger Needed
From: "Shain Brannan" <shain_at_dml_elecmods.com>

18. Power Antenna Options
From: "Jason Jones" <jason_at_dml_pcupgraders.com>

19. Re: DMC found at original dealership! legal issues...
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Early notice - show and shine
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

21. Re: DMC found at original dealership! legal issues...
From: "stupadazzo2002" <mopar2me_at_dml_swbell.net>

22. Re: valve cover reassembly
From: "stupadazzo2002" <mopar2me_at_dml_swbell.net>

23. bhp of stock Delorean?
From: "Ralf Philipp" <doc.brown_at_dml_web.de>

24. Delorian Question I have had for some time...
From: "Carson Clark" <cnsandog_at_dml_bellsouth.net>

25. Re: Project Delorean Site Update
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:46:16 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean financing

I think the intent of the reply was just to not get in over your head
by not having a fund for repairs. You can't expect to buy a 20+ year
old used car and not have some things come up. Even if it is in
perfect condition now something will happen, it always does. The worst
case would be to have to stretch to keep up the payments, have a
problem with the car, and then not be able to drive it (you will still
have to keep up with the payments). Best to prepare by having a
reserve for the inevitable problems that will come up. If you are
thinking about an engine swap you are looking at spending a lot more
than it would take to fix ANY problem that may come up with the motor.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> What do you mean? The car has no current functional problems of any
kind the fuel system and cooling systems have recently been replaced
and the electricals all function except for the passenger door which I
know will cost about 250.00 for a new motor if I cant service it
myself which I probably will be able to do.I have alot of exp with
electrical motors and systems and anything I cant fix my friend can

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:49:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMC found at original dealership! legal issues...

You will have to cotact the internal revenue service and satisfy the lean with cash money before they will let it go.Otherwise it has to sit till it rots away.

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:23:36 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fall Foilage Tour 2 way radio info

Eh, why doesn't Bob Zilla create a line of "CaravanZilla 2 way radios" that
only has a channel 12 so everyone can use the DMC-12 channel when on a
DeLorean event?  What do you say Bob?  :)

Later,
Nick Pitello
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:35:20 -0700
From: Gary Valenziano <piason_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: Re: [ncdmc] Pilot car Photos

Ken and Group,

The good news is that I talked to Sascha yesterday for about an hour. He
is now in  L.A. and consulting with Don, Ed and the original owner of
the car a former DMC employee who now lives in the L.A. area, assessing
the validity and the historic value if any, of his EBay purchase Vin#
BD000020 made from his home in Boston on the word of the seller and
pictures provided.

This car is believed to be one of what was about 30 cars produced by
either Lotus and/or DMC and shipped to US to be used  in the emission
and track tests for the US government, of which he thinks in talking to
the former owner and DMC employee only 1 other car of this kind to his
knowledge still exists after most of the others were
disassembled(scavendged) for parts in the process of getting the car
passed. This took place before the so called Black cars where built at
the factory to train workers on the procedures of assembling the cars,
hence the name PILOT cars.
The car is in good running condition, with a few upgrades and a little
work and money to tighten up the cooling and fuel systems this car is
going to keep on going for a long time as it was cared for mechanically
pretty well by the former owner and is believed to have low miles(less
than 15,000 as I remember).
The dilemma as I see it is going to be how to proceed to restore a car
inside and out that was never intended to be sold to the public and in
my opinion, has some historical significance. And this posses the
problem that in some places the car has parts that are not conventional
DMC parts, for example the plastic expansion bottle that has cracks in
it that has to be replaced, which Steven from DMC Houston thought maybe
off a Ford Citron, do you replace it with a new aluminum one or call
Ford or the U.K. DMC club to see if they can locate an original part,
all to keep it historically correct while using it as a daily driver.
Understand this car came to the original owner with no windows or
passenger seat and I think Sascha said that even the doors were replaced
later, as the original owner decided to fix the car up to drive legally.
So Sascha doesn't know what is stock and what was added by the former
owner in his endeavor to get the car driveable. Also the car was painted
black, not because it was damaged but the owner got tired of the blotchy
look of the stainless, he said.

Sascha's plan was to leave his job and to drive his car around the
country from Pennsylvania 3000 miles to Portland for the DOA driving
tour which he did, with just a water pump going out in Chicago I might
add, where he met all the vendors. There I met him and invited him to
stay at my house as he went though the San Francisco bay area to L.A.
The bad news unfortunately is he has been here and is off on the rest of
his adventure(oh to be young again).
Then he was to go to L.A. to check out the validity of his purchase.
After staying with relatives and friends in L.A. and  San Diego move on
to Colorado before winter then proceed to DMC Houston, the midwest, the
east coast,  Rob at P.J. Grady than home. Although in talking to him it
sounds like he may be staying around L.A. at his uncles house and get a
job for the winter then perhaps pickup his journey sometime in the
future.
That's about all I know to the best of my recollection, you can all see
the pictures posted on the DML website photo section and make your own
opinion.
Gary V.
Vin# 5480
'81 5 speed

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:42:47 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean financing (Florida car)

John: buyer beware.

This applies to ALL used cars, not just DeLoreans (but especially D's
since our parts ARE more expensive -- supply & demand).

Much of Florida is near the ocean. The only thing more insidious than
road salt is sea salt. Ask any beach dweller. Because it's airborne,
sea salt will get into places road salt never imagined. Is especially
rough on electricals.

But even more than salt, I'd be wary of a buying decision made in
haste. Unless a car is priced so low as to be worth the gamble, TAKE
YOUR TIME. If you're not mechanical, rustle up someone to go with you
(takes TIME). Absolutely scrutinize the car -- it isn't going to come
with a warranty -- then ask DML about anything unusual (that takes
TIME too).

DeLoreans are uncommon, but not rare. Otherwise I'd never have been
able to afford one. And a car doesn't have to be close by to be
buyable. I live in North Carolina. #5939 came from Pennsylvania (yes,
cars from road salt country ARE worth considering). Traveling up there
and bringing home under its own power added $200 or $300 to total cost
of the vehicle -- chump change in the big picture.

JZD may have been living the dream, but you're going to be buying the
reality. Make sure it's a good one...

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:44:31 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: JZD at foliage tour?

I heard that since the foliage tour this year will be at JZD's old house and
that since he still lives in the area will he be attending?

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:54:00 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: valve cover reassembly

Most of your silicone will simply pull off by hand in strips. Use a
putty knife (or an official gasket scraper) to remove any that has
found some teeth, but be gentle -- you're dealing with aluminum.
Carburetor cleaner works great as a sprayable solvent, with narrow
pattern if you've got a straw (silicone curls up like Wicked Witch of
the West). Try not to spray on platic or rubber.

No compression in a valve cover. Is full of oil, so you do want a
tight seal.

When you paint the covers, why not tape their mating surfaces?

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:29:38 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

If the car has a lien from the IRS, you should be able to contact the IRS to
pay the Taxes due. You will probably want to contact your local Dept. of
Motor Vehicles or tax office to make sure there are no other Liens against
the vehicle. As long as you pay all the liens due and the dealership has the
title and is willing to sign it over to you, you shouldn't have any problem.

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:32:11 -0000
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>

Andy

You can either use a spray on gasket remover which can be found at
any auto parts store or isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol  on a cloth will
also lift the silicone residue it works great cleaning up uncured
silicone. note: you may want to have a hose type vaccuum on hand to
get any bits of silicone that may fall into the top of the heads.

As long as you don't have any major gouges in the mating sufaces you
shouldn't have any problems with resealing them using the paper
gasket.

Eastwood makes a special aerosol spray paint just for aluminum
castings it will make your valve covers look better than new and
won't flake off later. Ask Dave Swingle more about it. His son Gary
used it on his BMW intake manifold. I was amazed how nice it looked.

Dennis 5180 Duluth,MN

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:49:48 -0000
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>

Andy

One more think I forgot. If you beadblast your rocker covers make
sure that you blow out any media. It can get trapped between the
deflector plate and rocker cover that is under the oil fill opening
You certainly don't want any grit going through the oil pump gears.

Also the rocker covers have no effect on compression they just cover
the valve train.

Dennis 5180

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:00:40 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean financing

Hello,

I am afraid you are falling into the 'almost perfect DeLorean' pre-owner
mentality!  This is not an insult to you personally, but think of it as more
of a warning.
two years ago i bought an 82 previously owned by a member of the DML and was
in a couple of clubs in the midwest.  We corresponded for about a month
before i purchased the car which i inspected myself and found the car to be
even better than the owner described as far as body, interior, engine, etc.
But you have to remember this is a 20 year old car. NO DeLorean that has been
'garage kept for 10 years' or 'low miles' is immune to the kinds of problems
ALL 20 year old cars have! my car 'seemed' nearly perfect when i bought it.
since then, i have replaced or rebuilt just some of these parts:
1. new clutch and ALL associated hydraulics and lines (none of it was broken
or poor, but it was 20 years old and were replaced as preventative
maintenence). the clutch was installed professionally because how many of us
have the time or means to drop a tranny? i installed the rest.  approximately
$1600 when all said and done.

2. new radiator, water pump, cooling fans, all new water hoses, hoseclamps,
coolant flush, themostat, seals, gaskets, all associated mounting hardware.
approx $1800. (preventative maintenence). did myself.

3. New door lock solenoids, lockzilla, window regulators, associated
hardware. approx $900 did myself.  all of it worked when i got it but i could
tell it was getting sketchy.  did it myself.

4.  fuel system - new fuel pump and all tank parts, new fuel injectors,
ENTIRE fuel system from metal lines and back rebuilt or tested and cleaned by
Grady. at least $1000 went there.  preventative maintenence because it's
OLD!!!! did it myself of course.

5. ignition - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil - $200.

6. speedometer parts - stainless gearset angle drive, dust cap, lower speedo
cable. $275?  angle drive started to bug out two weeks into ownership. did it
myself.

7. misc stuff like new rear headliner, temp gauge, A/C mode switch, interior
fan motor, new alternator, belts, bearings, etc etc etc etc etc etc - easily
$2000 more.  all myself as usual.

not to mention other customizations like lowering springs, stainless letters,
new stereo, other things not necessary to the car's function.

let's see - we're looking at maybe $7000 to $8000 put into what seemed like a
'perfect car' and my stainless isn't even banged up and my brakes were
rebuilt before i bought it AND my facias were already repainted!  and my car
only had 41K miles on it - a south carolina car originally.  i'm not saying i
got ripped off, i think i got a great deal on my car and i love it to death.
BUT all the stuff i have had done is VERY TYPICAL of ANY DeLorean that is
purchased.  BUYER BEWARE!!!! expect to put at LEAST $5000 into any car that
is 'garage kept' and 'hardly ever driven except on a sunny day'.  you can ask
any one of us owners and you will hear more or less the same response.  once
you bought the car be prepared to flush thousands into it before it is
anywhere near respectable and ready for daily driving.

but that's not to say that it's impossible to buy a car that needs NOTHING -
but i doubt any of those exist that isn't known about by someone on the DML -
they all need SOMETHING!

be careful my friend,

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:23:31 -0000
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: SS Free Flow Exhaust (and photos)

Martin,

At the flywheel hp?
Did you actually remove the engine from a car and hook it to a dyno?

Or, Was this done on a wheel(chassis)dyno and corrected for
drivetrain losses? Can you be more specific?

Please define Medium loud as opposed to the standard American exhaust
sound? Is there any chance of downloading sound clip of the system
running at idle and revved up?

Thanks, Dennis 5180

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:24:41 GMT
From: ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: Rotary D up on EBAY

For those of you that are interested in owning a fast D without putting in all the work!

  "Check out the Rotary D that is up on EBAY"

That is all
Jim

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:41:05 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Ironic here- Practical no where else

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_y...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> ' For Mr. Piatti, paying attention to entertainment systems and other
> areas of driver comfort is eminently practical.  "Spending time in a
> sports car is like moving into a house with a low ceiling and small
> windows, its an oppressive environment," he says.  "Who wants that
> every day?" '
<SNIP>

I do. That's why my car is a daily driver! :-D

Obviously an article written by someone who isn't a car person. Someone
who just looks at a vehicle as simple transportation, and has never seen the
inherint joy and pleasure of driving. Next to not owning my DeLorean, that has
to be the most tragic thought for me to try and imagine...

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:56:28 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Zack, I would first try to check with Dept. of Motor Vehicles.  They
can give you some direction.  Second, if there is a lean, does the
former dealership owner know what bank has it?  Otherwise, if the IRS
has possesion of it, you gotta call them and get it straightened
out.  Not fun.

Good luck.

Johnny

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:23:54 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Delorean Jacket

It's getting chilly out there!  I recently bought a gray and black
baseball jacket, and had the DMC logo embroidered onto it to keep warm,
and look cool while driving my car around.

If anyone is interested, I can get the same jacket with logo stitched on
for you for $85 total.

Here is some pictures: http://67.83.178.50:81/temp/jacket.htm

Let me know ASAP if you are interested.  I do not know how much longer I
can get the jackets for.  (also let me know size:  M, L, XL, 2XL {they
tend to run a little small})

respond to me personally at delorean_at_dml_abato.net
If I am able to get the jacket for you, payment should be made via
paypal (we can discuss details on the side)

Kevin Abato
Vin #16680

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:05:12 -0000
From: "Shain Brannan" <shain_at_dml_elecmods.com>
Subject: DeLorean Midatlantic Fall Foliage Tour Passenger Needed

Hello,

I had been planning to take my father with me ont he fall foliage
tour,  but because of some recent complications with him he is
unable to go.  I am looking for a single passenger that would like
to ride with me in my DeLorean.  If your intrested please e-mail me
asap so we could make arrangements.

- Shain

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:33:58 -0400
From: "Jason Jones" <jason_at_dml_pcupgraders.com>
Subject: Power Antenna Options

Hey all... one of my "Things - To - Do" for my D is to replace my old rusted
permanent Radio Antenna. I was wondering if there are any Caveats on my
selection or will any Power Antenna work?  Since they are about $50 I would
hate to have to Buy - Test - Return a lot. I can get them from many places
however the first question I get is What Car is it for and of course they
say "We don't carry anything like that" So any tips on any Aftermarket
Antennas?

Thanks
Jason

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:27:39 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If there is a lien on the car find out how much it is. If it is not
too much and you can make a deal with the dealer it may still be
affordable. It is just like buying a car that has been financed by a
bank. You can sell such a car but the bank has to be paid off first
with the balance of the funds (if any) going to the seller. If it is
an ordinary lien (not the IRS) the dealer can charge storage against
the car eventually putting a lien of his own on it and then getting
the title. Now he can sell it but the first lien must still get paid
off.

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:53:31 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Early notice - show and shine

- I'm starting to work on a show and shine "weekend in Canada" DeLorean meet
in May or June, 2003 in London, Ontario, Canada. (almost as far south, in
Canada, as Northern California - believe it or not!)
- USA dollar is currently worth $1.61 Canadian.
- Please mark that time frame as a strong potential. Also please advise me
what other functions may be planned around those months so we will not
confict.
- I plan on a short cruise to a Lake Erie beach, (27 miles), the best ice
cream you've ever had, super motel to stay at, inexpensive food spots, car
show atmosphere but no judging, freebie to all who come, gorgeous park area
with beautiful trees for displaying the cars and photo opportunity, fun
times, etc.
- As soon as my daughter decides on her wedding date, I will be closer to a
DeLorean date.

Marv
# 17707
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:18:42 -0000
From: "stupadazzo2002" <mopar2me_at_dml_swbell.net>

Well, I would think talking to the IRS directly would obviously be
the first move you need to make.

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:27:05 -0000
From: "stupadazzo2002" <mopar2me_at_dml_swbell.net>

Make sure they use a VERY soft medium and to minimize warpage from
heat during the blasting process.  Crushed walnuts works well.  BTW
you'll then have valve covers that stick out like sore thumbs as
compared to the (not blasted) engine block.

As for the mating surface don't do anything to it unless it's warped
in the first place.  Don't mess up something that's not broken.  If
it is, I've done something as simple as placed it, mating surface
down, on a large piece of affixed sand paper, that's on a level
table, and gently sanded it back and forth until it takes a little of
the warp out.  Now, granted I've never done this to a DMC valve
cover, but it's worked on other warped mating surfaces.

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:52:56 +0200
From: "Ralf Philipp" <doc.brown_at_dml_web.de>
Subject: bhp of stock Delorean?

Hello Chris!

I'm a little confused, I thought a stock Delorean had approx. 135 hp?

Is there a difference between hp and bhp? Or what else is the reason for
this difference?

ciao,
Ralf Philipp
Germany

> The results are:-
>
> Stock system...............120 BHP  ( only)
>
> new system with twin cats  135 BHP
>
> New system without cats    142 BHP

P.S. are there any sound samples available of the new exhaust system?  :-)

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:14:07 -0000
From: "Carson Clark" <cnsandog_at_dml_bellsouth.net>
Subject: Delorian Question I have had for some time...

Hello again all,

Very quickly for a background of myself, I have owned an '83 DMC back
a couple of years ago and really loved the car.  I sold it when i
moved from the west coast, and yes I have regretted it.

I am getting ready to move to D.C. in the near future, and I am
really wanting to get another DMC.

Have any of you purchased one of the refurbished DMC's from Houston
or LA?  Have any of you gotten to view one and what where your
impressions?

For me the reliability is a large issue because I plan on driving the
car everyday - just like my old one.

Feel free to email directly too at "cnsandog_at_dml_bellsouth.net".

Regards,

Carson

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Project Delorean Site Update

Hi all, just wanted to let everyone know I've posted
an update to the Project Delorean.  Haven't had alot
of time lately, but I am finally getting close to
firing this thing up.  In the update, you can see some
finishing shots of the exhaust system components as
well as the custom cooling tubes as the engine bay
nears completion.  Enjoy!

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")