From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1243
Date: Sunday, October 20, 2002 3:21 AM

1. RE: In-glass antennnae
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Fw: Gullwing Magazine
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>

3. Re: In-glass antennnae
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: In-glass antennnae
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

5. SS Free Flow Exhaust - Website update
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

6. Car show in St. Charles Mo. ( right by St.Louis)
From: "wtbstuff" <wtbstuff_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. JZD called "Bad Boy" in magazine
From: "jbenson888" <jbenson_at_dml_tenantdata.com>

8. RE: Early notice - show and shine
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

9. Continuing: Payne -- what's the news?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: In-glass antennnae
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Re: SEMA in Vegas
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Window track and lock libkage alignment
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

13. No Acceleration LOSS of power
From: "millstuffs" <stonemll_at_dml_adelphia.net>

14. Trying to contact Mads de Bruiin
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:11:54 -0400
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: RE: In-glass antennnae

Hi Jack

The early cars actually came with an in-glass antenna - in fact it was one
of DeLorean's original ideas. Unfortunately in the DeLorean, it doesn't
work very well... or at least that was what was perceived at the time and
they progressed to the front fender and later the rear quarter.

My own experience on #1458 is that the windscreen antenna is perfectly good
enough if you have a good enough radio! My modern Kenwood has little
trouble getting a good reception and I don't know if I can be bothered
fitting the power antenna I bought (a cheap 3rd part one before anyone asks
to buy it!)

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:33:27 -0400
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>
Subject: Fw: Gullwing Magazine

So where should we go to get a subscription come 2003?  Will there be a
web site to acompany the mag?  It sounds like you have a winner here.  As long
as you are open to suggestions.  Not that you will be able to apply them
all, but to at least hear them.  I look forward to this!

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:58:56 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The main reason DMC discontinued the antennae in the front windscreen
(windshield to us Americans) is the limited ability to receive weak
radio stations. That coupled with the limited ability of the radios
available at the time caused all auto manufactureres to give up on the
idea. It really is a good idea if it works, no more damaged antennaes
at the car wash, more vandal resistant, no broken power antennaes,
more aerodynamic. With modern radios having better (digital) circuitry
and if you are in a metropolitan area not too far from the
transmitters you could probably live with the wire in the windscreen.
Of course now there is satelite radio and CD's. I know of one owner
who went to Radio Shack and put a signal booster in his car. He has a
power antennae and he claims it made a big difference. You could try
that too on the windscreen antennae. If your windscreen doesn't have
the wire there used to be kits you could buy in the auto stores that
you taped a wire along the top edge of the winshield and wired it to
the radio. I don't know if they are still available. I don't think you
can buy a windshield with the antennae in it anymore.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Jack The Stripper <motti_at_dml_o...> wrote:
> I haven't had a lot of time to read my messages lately, so forgive
me if this has been covered, but has anyone here retrofitted their
DeLorean with an in-glass antenna or know someone who has?

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:04:34 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

Just to interject real quick, the rear mounted power antenna for the
DeLorean looks great because you can't see it when retracted. The
whole unit is mounted below the intake grille behind the rear quarter
glass on the drivers side. So when it operates, the antenna will pop-
up thru the grilles, and you never have to see the bulky base. It is
definatly something that you may want to consider.

If you want to convert the car to have a windshield antenna, that
wouldn't be difficult at all. Just get a bottle of rear window
defroster repair, and I would imagine that you should be able to
simply 'draw' the antenna onto the glass. I had a Buick rental car
one time that used this same technique. Then just solder a connection
on like a traditional defroster, and all should be fine I would
imagine...

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Jack The Stripper <motti_at_dml_o...> wrote:
> I haven't had a lot of time to read my messages lately, so forgive
me if this has been covered, but has anyone here retrofitted their
DeLorean with an in-glass antenna or know someone who has?
<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:35:56 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: SS Free Flow Exhaust - Website update

Hi All

My ISP has got its act together and you can now read the updated article at

www.delorean.co.uk/exhaustmod.html (one of the thumbnails is duff, but the link works - have
to fix monday)

You can also read about my new purchase :-)

www.delorean.co.uk/4426.html

Best Wishes

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:18:12 -0000
From: "wtbstuff" <wtbstuff_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Car show in St. Charles Mo. ( right by St.Louis)

Just a quick note of a car show it will be
Saturday, October 26th, There will be awards for

Best Engine  --  Best Paint  --  Best Club Participation  --  Ladies
Choice
More Information Coming Soon...
Visit the link below for more info.

http://www.classiccarfest.com/

Will anyone from the Mid-state Delorean club be attending?

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:25:11 -0000
From: "jbenson888" <jbenson_at_dml_tenantdata.com>
Subject: JZD called "Bad Boy" in magazine

In the October edition of Business 2.0, there is a short, somewhat
negative article about John DeLorean's watch and his new car.  They
even compare him to today's corporate CEO scoundrels.

Here's a link:

http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,43527,FF.html

JB
VIN 888
LTD DTN

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:08:21 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Early notice - show and shine

Me thinks Mike forgets about a teensy weensy little state called Alaska
(which has a couple of De Loreans in it (there, it's on topic, Mr.
Moderator)); or maybe he meant "15 US cities in the lower 48". :-)

For those not in the know-- "lower 48" means the contiguous 48 states, or
not Alaska and Hawaii.

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:04:09 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Continuing: Payne -- what's the news?

Engine vacuum does drop as RPM's increase, so could be a vacuum leak,
but usual telltale sign of vacuum leak is wandering idle. Try spraying
carburetor cleaner at all strategic points around engine (a little
acetone isn't going to hurt anything). You need the kind with a straw
for point pinpoint accuracy. If you've got a vacuum leak, engine will
rev up when carb cleaner hits it. If not, you'll at least have a
cleaner engine. Note that carb cleaner will remove all your silicone.

My idle speed motor fails open. If yours is similar, that shouldn't be
the problem. Have you tried isolating motor from the idle circuit (big
vacuum lines, not electricity) and setting with screws in the air/fuel
assembly? If it weren't for my A/C compressor that would be my
preferred method.

Check your spark timing. If the spark advance diaphragm is receiving
vacuum at idle, your ignition could be WAY advanced. Makes sense that
timing wouldn't return to normal until engine vacuum drops. Car will
run just fine without spark advance, so you could disconnect during
problem diagnosis (don't forget to plug the loose vacuum line).

Did you tinker with the fuel mixture? Could be too rich until car
gulps some serious air. You might try disconnecting power from both
cold start valve and warm up regulator to ensure neither has gone
crazy (would also enrich).

Good luck,

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> Thank you for taking an interest in my problem!  The reason I
haven't posted any update is because I'm still waiting for a part.  I have got the new gaskets for the "W" pipe and am replacing some vacuum lines.
> I just have one question that someone may be able to clear up.
Right now the car has very little power below approximately 3,000 RPM.  As
soon as it gains in engine speed, she feels like her old self again.  I thought
I had the vacuum leak fixed, but is this even characteristic of a vacuum leak?

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:26:26 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Actually, di-pole antennas are notorious for BAD reception. Most
people try to go the other way.

DeLorean power antennas in the driver's Q panel are very accessible
after you remove the charcoal canister. Operation through the driver's
"vent" is wonderfully inconspicuous (I had no idea mine was there
until I replaced a fuse and the thing popped out). Haven't studied too
close, but makes sense any aftermarket antenna could be retrofitted.
For first time installations wiring might be easiest run through the
engine compartment rather than fishing around inside the pontoon.

Re: failing power antennas, in the bad old days power antennas were
often grounded through the case -> fender -> eventually to battery.
Didn't take a lot of rust or corrosion to break the circuit (could be
at a distant ground strap, not antenna mount). On my 1970's lincolns I
usually sandwich a new wire between the antenna and fender, then run
to a known good ground. Works every time. Our plastic DeLoreans of
course need a dedicated ground.

If your heart is set on a di-pole, quote me a price on your working
power antenna. I might buy as a spare.

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:59:00 EDT
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: SEMA in Vegas

In a message dated 10/18/02 11:27:57 AM, stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com writes:

> I was curious as to how many people beside myself are going to be in
> Las Vegas for SEMA? If possible I thought it would nice for those of
> us going to maybe get together sometime during it.

I'll be in Vegas for SEMA, exhibiting our TireflysŪ products. I know of a few
other DeLorean owners that will be there as well. If other DeLorean owners
are interested in getting together there, email me privately please.
Daniel Deutsch (Orlando)(mroboto-at-aol.com)
#15779 & #3356

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:34:17 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Window track and lock libkage alignment

In a message dated 10/18/02 11:28:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

> Just be very careful inside the doors because of
> all of the sharp edges of the stainless steel, you can get cut up
> badly and not even feel it till you see the blood trickling all over
> the place!

Working inside my door I carefully covered all the sharp edged access areas
that I'd be poking into with duct tape.  Not every edge, just the ones I'd
need to use.  Big mistake.  Awhile later I'm getting into my D, (with the
door area still uncovered,) close the door, and lean my elbow back to reach
my seatbelt. Yeow! Slid my elbow along the untaped back opening at the door
handle and boy, did that sucker bleed.  As a friend's dad used to say, "Don't
you be gettin' any blood on my tools!" Fortunately I managed to do all my
bleeding on myself, not my car.  Owwww.

-Wayne

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:26:46 -0000
From: "millstuffs" <stonemll_at_dml_adelphia.net>
Subject: No Acceleration LOSS of power

CAR HAS BEEN IN LONG TERM STORAGE [mice got into the relay department
and skinned a few wires---I repaired the wires with electrical tape
and they appear to be OK.] Recently, I installed a new  fuel pump
system in the gas tank, a new rebuilt A/T transmission computer -
governer and new spark plugs. It still seems to LOAD UP when I try to
accelerate and on steep up-hill grades it nearly slows to a stop!
Could my problem be with the RPM fuel pump relay? Any suggestions
would be appreciated!   JIm Smith

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:05:22 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Trying to contact Mads de Bruiin

Sorry for posting this to the DML, but a "Mads de Bruin" contacted me
offline about buying a jacket, and when I try to reply, the e-mail
address bounces back.

From: Postmaster
Subject: Undeliverable Mail
Content: Unknown user: debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl

does anyone know if this is correct?  Mads de Bruin
[debruin(at)dia.eur.nl]

If I have the wrong address, someone please let me know so that I can
contact him.