From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1244
Date: Monday, October 21, 2002 3:45 AM

1. Re: Fw: Gullwing Magazine
From: "tmasterlc" <tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com>

2. Re: Continuing: Payne -- what's the news?
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

3. Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL
From: "dmc_delorean_2000" <dmc_delorean_2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: SS Free Flow Exhaust - Website update
From: "vrvader" <vrvader_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. A/C Panel lights
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

6. Fun with your DeLorean
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: No Acceleration LOSS of power
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

8. Delorean Mid Atlantic Club Fall Foliage Tour III day in review
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

9. Luggage Rack Installation?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

10. 1981 Black Delorean 3-Rotor Wankel Rotary for sale on Ebay
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

11. DeLoreans on faded asphalt.
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

12. Engine ticking noise. Not sure if it was always there
From: "graves_14" <tylergraves_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

14. RE: Engine ticking noise. Not sure if it was always there
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

15. Re: Continuing: Payne -- what's the news?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

16. Difference between one-key, two-key
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

17. RE: Re: SS Free Flow Exhaust (and photos)
From: "Rob van der Veer" <rob.van.der.veer_at_dml_delorean-europe.com>

18. Delorean parts
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. RE: In-glass antennnae
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

20. JDZs Patent "Transportation system, vehicle and method"
From: "Robert Hlavacek" <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>

21. World of Wheels Show 2002, Evansville IN
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

22. Re: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. RE: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

24. Re: Early notice - show and shine
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:40:09 -0000
From: "tmasterlc" <tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Gullwing Magazine

Subscription information will be available soon.  Will post info on
the DML.  Web site is a real possibility.

We are definately open to your suggestions and looking forward to
providing a useful and entertaining publication.

Ron & Cheryl
Delorean Magazine
tmasterlc(at)juno.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_n...> wrote:
> So where should we go to get a subscription come 2003?  Will there
be a web site to acompany the mag?  It sounds like you have a winner
here.

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:59:37 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: Continuing: Payne -- what's the news?

I made a point not to touch anything that wasn't necessary when I did my
tune up.  The fuel mixture and timing should all be exactly the same as
before.  The car always ran fine until one morning it only ran on five
cylinders.

So in theory, after the tune up everything should run perfectly.  Although
it now runs on six cylinders, I still have that low power problem.  I'm
still waiting on the connector, but this should narrow it down to a vacuum
leak.  I hope.

Now all I need is time!  I'll let you know.  Thanks again to everyone.

payne

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:15:58 -0000
From: "dmc_delorean_2000" <dmc_delorean_2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL

hi
I've had a Lot and I mean ALOT of problems with my automatic 3 spd
transmission since getting my car and the problems just get worse and
worse. rahter than fix it more or buy a new auto DMC tranny, would it
be finacialy possible to convert to a delorean 5spd tranny? meaning
would it be worth doing? I mean whats it going to take to do this
conversion? about how much am i going to spend doing it? would i be
able to do this myself or will I be in WAY over my head? I was
originally going to put in a ZF 4hp22 4spd automatic tranny (idea and
info by bob brandy), but upon intensive research found that it is
going to be a very complicated and expensive task. I also found that
it too (as with many Auto Trannys) has its share of problems, and I
dont need any problems. anybody have any suggestions or ideas as to
what kind of parts im going to need and man hours need, ETC. any
input would be helpful
Thanks
Tony Izzo
VIN# 2467 (under construction)

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:32:39 -0000
From: "vrvader" <vrvader_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: SS Free Flow Exhaust - Website update

Although the peak horsepower is nice the thing that stands out to me
is the point at which the HP takes a steeper jump.

Stock is around 2250 RPM but in both of the SS exhaust runs it
starts this climb at 1250 and 1600 rpm.  That seems like something
you would feel.

I know this may be difficult but it would be cool of anyone who has
access to these different cars could record the exhaust sound
throughout the rpm range.  Ideally it would be the same person doing
all since then the comparison would be truer than different
recorders.  The SS exhaust compared to stock compared to the island
turbo etc.

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:12:59 -0400
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: A/C Panel lights

Does anyone have clear step-by-step instructions on how to make the A/C
panel lights work with the rheostat for the instrument cluster lights?
I have the wire that makes them only come on with the headlights but it
would be great to be able to make them bright or dim in sync with the
cluster.

Thanks

Tom

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:44:13 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Fun with your DeLorean

My son and I just returned from a short tour of the neighborhood, grocery
store and local What-a-burger.

If you think that people gawk at your stock DeLorean, you should see how
they gawk at a DeLorean with a BTTF kit hanging off of it.

Thanks to Travis G. for the inspiration.

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031
DML
DMC Forum
RDOLA

Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:41:41 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: No Acceleration LOSS of power

Jim, If the control pressure in the fuel distributor allows the control
plunger to rise or stick, then you will have this problem. If you know the
fuel distributor is ok, then the control pressure regulator or also called
the warm up regulator is the problem. You might want to also make sure the
fuel injectors are ok and the fuel filter isn't stopped up.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

<< CAR HAS BEEN IN LONG TERM STORAGE [mice got into the relay department
 and skinned a few wires---I repaired the wires with electrical tape
 and they appear to be OK.] Recently, I installed a new  fuel pump
 system in the gas tank, a new rebuilt A/T transmission computer -
 governer and new spark plugs. It still seems to LOAD UP when I try to
 accelerate and on steep up-hill grades it nearly slows to a stop!
 Could my problem be with the RPM fuel pump relay? Any suggestions
 would be appreciated!   JIm Smith

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:21:30 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Delorean Mid Atlantic Club Fall Foliage Tour III day in review

Well...here it is 1:30am Sunday morning, and I JUST got home from the
DMC MidAtlantic Club Fall foliage tour (and I live local to the event!)

Yes!  I was one hell of a day!  I had a great time, and so did everyone
who attended!  (including my wife, who I was not sure would enjoy
herself on her first Delorean related outing with me, but she HAD A
BLAST!)

The day kicked off nicely.  We all met at JZD's former estate, and got
plenty of pictures.  With 22 cars in attendance, we then lined up into
our caravan and took a wonderful trip from Lamington NJ, down to
Princeton, NJ.  The weather (which had not been cooperating with us
earlier) cleared up, and our drive turned out to be great!

Once in Princeton, we all lined up our cars again...took a short break
to recharge ourselves for a while, and then continued with technical
sessions, car reviews, and general chit-chat.

Dinner followed shortly after, and everyone stuffed their face with
delight.

After Dinner, several of us hung out in the hotel lobby/bar, and enjoyed
a few drinks while we told stories and jokes.

I had decided early on in the game not to stay over night since I live
so close, but towards the end of the night, I was looking into booking a
room (we were having so much fun that we didn't want to leave!).  Due to
a small problem of the hotel being book, and no more rooms avail.  We
called it a night and just got home.

WHAT A GREAT DAY IT WAS!  Hats off to Mike Deluca and Mark Levy for
coordinating it all!

Watch our site in the next day or two for pictures and a complete
recap.....I need sleep now. ;)

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 05:41:23 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Luggage Rack Installation?

Today, I finally picked up a luggage rack for my car! Soooo, now I need to
install it. However, I too am just a little jittery about installing it. I say, "too"
because that seemed to be pretty common in the archive messages that I
read. Anywhoo, I have a few questions about the installation as you can
guess.

1. My car is a Nov 81 build, and while I've not yet pulled the weatherstripping
back, I have read that cars earlier than mine are missing the rivets to align the
template with. Any tips here on lining things up?

2. I know that I should indent where I'm going to drill first with a scratch awl to
keep the drill bit in place. But, can anyone reccomend the proper type of bit to
use in the drill? (i.e carbide tipped)

3. If I cut the rubber as the instructions say, just on the bottom only, will this
interfere with the bracket when the attachment bolts are flipped up to mount
the rack?

While I've yet to install the rack, I did read that the only problem with it was on
trips, bugs will smash into your cargo making a mess. Particularly suitcases.
So I figure what I'll do is get a large peice of finnished black waterproof
canvas, and have long locking straps like the ones that came in the kit sewn
onto it. That will cover the cargo, and keep it clean and dry. Plus if I does get
dirty on the trip, I can simply have it laundered at any hotel I would check into.
But, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself here...

As usual, thanks in advance!

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 08:18:30 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: 1981 Black Delorean 3-Rotor Wankel Rotary for sale on Ebay

In case no one has noticed, there is a 1981 Black Delorean 3 Rotor
Wankel Rotary on Ebay the link is:
ViewItem&item=1869452510

The Discription is as follows:
1981 Black Delorean 3-Rotor Wankel Rotary
Vehicle Description

 Engine: 1990 Mazda Wankel 3-Rotor Rotary
1.962 Liter
Sequential Twin Turbo
300hp (224 kw)
297 ft-lb torque (402 nm) _at_dml_ 3000rpm

Transmission: 1995 porsche 6-speed G50 with limited slip differential

Theoretical top speed: 164mph

Instrumentation: 1990 Mazda Eunos Cosmo digital dash with analog
tach/speedo

This car is very fast. The engine came from a $60,000 car, and the
transmission from a $80,000 car. It's faster than the NSX, Porsche
911, and Lotus Esprit S4s. Will blow away 99% of the modified
imports.

Go to http://www.eliseusa.com/rotary.shtml for more pictures,
information, and a short video on the car.

Though you guys might be interested in it,as somebody asked about
doing a transplant in a Delorean of a Rotary engine in the Recent
past.

Claude

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:50:04 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: DeLoreans on faded asphalt.

The 3'rd annual Fall foliage tour continues today in New Hope, PA.

Here are some quick photos from yesterday, when we had 22 DeLoreans parked on the faded asphalt in front of John DeLoreans former home in Bedminster, NJ.

(If the link does not work, go to photo section on the Yahoo groups home page for the DML, and find the Fall Tour folder)

Oh, these DeLoreans are REALLY THERE..  No cut and paste in Photoshop!!

More photos to come.  I suspect they will all end up on www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:47:15 -0000
From: "graves_14" <tylergraves_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Engine ticking noise. Not sure if it was always there

I'm noticing a noise lately that sounds like a socket wrench spinning
(but a lot louder). That's the best way I can explain it. It seems to
be coming from the lower section of the engine, near the oil pan.

I don't notice any abnormal readings on the dash, so all seems ok
now. Could this be the oil pump or something? Is this a normal noise
that for some reason I'm just picking up on now?

Thanks!
Tyler #3472

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:55:55 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL

In a message dated 10/20/2002 1:25:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dmc_delorean_2000_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> would i be
> able to do this myself or will I be in WAY over my head?

Even the frame is different.  Cheaper and easier to sell it and buy another
D. BTW I've driven your car.  It was one I looked at before I bought my '82
gray int. 5 speed.  I recognized your vin#. I was a little leery about
driving a manual since I've rarely used one in many years.  But I'm very glad
I made the small effort to brush up on my shifting skills.  Of course, for
big city stop and go and creep forward a few feet, a manual trans is a lot
more work.  To each his own.  A current D on ebay brags that the automatic
trans in the D is "more dependable" than the manual!  hoho.  Only in that you
don't wear out the clutch on a regular basis.

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:27:41 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

> I'm noticing a noise lately that sounds like a socket
> wrench spinning (but a lot louder).

Check to see if muffler bracket above the alternator fan blades is
hitting the blades.

Gary
www.IN2TIME.com

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:54:36 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

You know, I had the EXACT same problem you did!  I only replaced the
sparkplugs, wires, cap & rotor. Car didn't run right at all after that. And for the
life of me, I couldn't figure out why. In the end, I sent it to the local mechanic
who diagnosed the problem as crappy sparkplug wires. The insulation wasn't
the greatest, and they were arcing voltage out. So the spark plugs were not
getting full power. I used Borg-Warner wires, but after they were replaced with
a set of BOSCH ones, everything ran fine. Hope this helps you out.

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:49:05 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Difference between one-key, two-key

Hey guys/gals...

On my car, and from what I know about other one-key cars, our code is
written in the driver's side door above the headliner. It is a four digit
code between 7,000 and 9,999.
These same codes are used for the ignition on the two-key cars.
I've been trying to cut an ignition key by code for a two-key car in Ohio.
He's sent me a couple of pictures of the inside of his door. It shows the
door-key code (WR plus a four digit number).
There is another number-- but it could be the date of the door, and not the
ignition code. It is sloppy and really hard to say. I'm going to try it and
mail him the key to see if it works anyway.

Has anyone with a two-key car noticed this? Has any two-key car owner found
the ignition code somewhere else?

Thanks,
Kevin
#4687 (one-key)

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:58:42 +0200
From: "Rob van der Veer" <rob.van.der.veer_at_dml_delorean-europe.com>
Subject: RE: Re: SS Free Flow Exhaust (and photos)

Usually I am not much of a poster, but I felt I should at least let you guys
know that I am another owner of a D with a stainless steel FF exhaust..

Before I got the car, the cat was already removed and a custom exhaust was
built for it. When I bought the car, it was LOUD (other dutch owner who have seen me on club meetings last year would know what I was talking about). I don't know any dB numbers, but ear plug would have been nice..

Since then, I have ordered some new stainless steel mufflers, which greatly
reduced the noise, but not the performance (grin).. The sound coming from my car is now at a perfectly acceptable level; a bit louder than a regular car, but still very acceptable and way within the legal limits.

Like I said, I am not often looking to this list, but if you need more info,
please contact me directly via email..

Rob v/d Veer.
VIN 3695.

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:49:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean parts

I have noticed that engine parts that will work in the DeLorean are easily acquired the only really expensive things I can see are body parts,frame parts,glass stuff like that.Why is every one so covinced that DeLorean parts are rare and expensive.I have talked with numerous owners who agree that DeLorean parts are not hard to get you just might have to wait a couple days.So why are people like spazzo so convinced that owning a DeLorean will break the bank?As for buying totally original DeLorean parts give me a break, if you think you must have original parts you are just wasting money.Valuing originality over function is ridiculous in a car that didnt stay in production long enough to get all the bugs out.I refuse to put in an original part if the new one performs better and lasts longer.

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:07:05 -0500
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: In-glass antennnae

I don't think a windshield antenna is a DeLorean idea.
I can remember cars in the '70's with this particular
affliction...

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:50:45 -0400
From: "Robert Hlavacek" <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>
Subject: JDZs Patent "Transportation system, vehicle and method"

JZD has several patents.  I'll post them individually, just the abstracts and pertinent information.  If you want the whole patent, contact me directly.

United States Patent  5,359,941
DeLorean  November 1, 1994
Transportation system, vehicle and method

Abstract
A transport assembly for use, for example, in mass transportation, comprises a track and a frame mounted to the track for motion therealong, the frame including a housing which defines a traction chamber in communication with the track. At least one traction wheel is rotatably mounted to the frame in friction contact with the track. The traction wheel is at least partially disposed in the traction chamber. A car with a passenger compartment is coupled to the frame via a shock absorbing linkage so that the car is substantially isolated from irregularities in the track during motion of the frame and the car along the track. A suction source is operatively connected to the housing for generating a vacuum in the traction chamber during motion of the frame and the car along the track. A drive mounted to the frame is operatively connected to the traction wheel for drivingly rotating the wheel to propel the frame and the car along the track.

Bob Hlavacek, Patent Agent
rah_at_dml_PatentService.Org

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:37:12 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: World of Wheels Show 2002, Evansville IN

Evansville again this year?

Just received my Fall issue of ICSA Magazine "Show Stopper" which is
sponsered by the World of Wheels Car Show.  First show of the 2002 -
2003 season is the First Annual World of Wheels Show in Evansville, IN
next month, November 22 through November 24.  I know most if not all
of us in attendance at the Evansville Autofest 2002 had no idea that
the World of Wheels Show was coming to Evansville, and we certainly
did not get any advance notice of this while attending the show.

I know this may be a little late in the season for some owners to
think about bringing their cars out, especially for a 3+ day event,
depending upon where you need to drive from.  I know another major
disadvantage is having to leave your car somewhere for 3 days and
needing alternate transportation between the show and motel, etc.
We can address most of these issues, if there is enough interest.

We may not be able to get 14+ cars at this show, but I think we can
get enough cars together to beat the Starsky and Hutch Ford Torino
club again (twice in one year) and I'm pretty sure we can have Bob
arrange for our lodging again at the Comfort Inn.

If there is enough interest, I'm sure Marty Maier can put together a
few details up on the Mid States Delorean club website to organize
things better.  I know this is only a month away, and the weekend
before Thanksgiving, but let's see what we can put together.

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:33:58 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

dude youre talking alot of $$$$4 close to 10 gs...the car has to be
seperated from the frame and the chassis has to be reworked to
accomodate the tranny plus linkage etc..

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:48:07 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

I am considering this conversion myself..

From the discussions I have had, it is not all that complex.  (But that does not make it easy!)

You will of course need the manual transmission, and related clutch components.  You will also need a pedal box from a 5-speed car to install in to yours.  Cost depends on if you buy it all new from a vendor, or shop of a parts car or used parts.

The process of swapping the trans will require modification to the frame where the shifter bolts in.  From what I am told, you need to cut the frame to allow the 5-speed shifter to fit.  It is mounted lower in the frame than the automatic so you will need to come up with a way to bolt it in using spacers once the metal is cut away.

Good Luck!

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:22:06 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Early notice - show and shine

What?  He said states, not cities.  London is so far south that there are
15 states that have a higher latitude than that city.  I assume Alaska
would be included... as well as all of new england, michigan, washington,
etc.

I will not be there. :)
Jim 1537