From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1245
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 4:00 AM

1. Re: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Difference between one-key, two-key
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: World of Wheels Show 2002, Evansville IN
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: 1981 Black Delorean 3-Rotor Wankel Rotary for sale on Ebay
From: PEDRO MALDONADO <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Fun with your DeLorean
From: PEDRO MALDONADO <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Delorean parts
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: No Acceleration LOSS of power
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Engine ticking noise. Not sure if it was always there
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

9. Re: Engine ticking noise. Not sure if it was always there
From: Swoyerzone_at_dml_aol.com

10. John Delorean and the DeLorean Car Show Fall Foliage Tour
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: A/C Panel lights
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: In-glass antennnae
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Engine ticking noise. Not sure if it was always there
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

14. Re: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

15. Delorean leather seat covers? Trimtech?
From: "silverdelorean2002" <silvercrw646_at_dml_cs.com>

16. Re: Difference between one-key, two-key
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. RE: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

18. 2002 Eurofest... the good, the bad, the ugly
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

19. Re: Engine ticking noise. Not sure if it was always there
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. RE: Luggage Rack Installation?
From: "Michael G. Fischer" <michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com>

21. RE: Difference between one-key, two-key
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

22. Delorean For Sale on EBay --> Daily Driver, Needs Love...
From: Dave Trenck <dtrenck_at_dml_edgar-online.com>

23. RE: In-glass antennnae
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:23:14 EDT
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Converting AUTOMATIC to MANUAL

In a message dated 10/20/02 8:00:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com writes:

> From the discussions I have had, it is not all that complex.  (But that does
> not make it easy!)
>

> The process of swapping the trans will require modification to the frame
> where the shifter bolts in.  From what I am told, you need to cut the frame
> to allow the 5-speed shifter to fit.  It is mounted lower in the frame than
> the automatic so you will need to come up with a way to bolt it in using
> spacers once the metal is cut away.

   Marc,

   You are correct about the swap not being that complex, altho acquiring all
the different parts required can be rather expensive. Your comment about
swapping the shifters is backwards tho. The 5 speed shifter assembly sits
higher up in the frame then the automatic assembly. The 5 speed shifter
assembly also sits in a different location (front/back - left/right) inside
the frame then the auto, altho it is still within the opening in the frame
which houses the shifter assembly. The 5 speed shifter assembly also has a
different frame mounting pattern then the auto unit. You are correct that the
opening for the auto shifter is much smaller then the 5 speed unit and it
must be opened up to accept the 5 speed assembly.
    All that being said, just take some measurements, make some
spacers/adapters, open up the hole in the frame and swap in the 5 speed
shifter assembly. Oh, and I almost forgot, you also need to layout and make
another hole in the shifter area back plate to install the crossgate cable.
And this is the easy part of doing the 5 speed swap !

    Marty

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:32:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Difference between one-key, two-key

If Im not mistaken I think my car has a single key.
I'm unsure of this as the keys have been long since
lost and the ignition torn out sometime back in the
1990s but the key kode that I found is WR508SX if that
helps. Theres a pic of it on my site under the
"interior" section if you'd like to compare it.

Todd
Vin 5386

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: World of Wheels Show 2002, Evansville IN

Can ayone send me some info on this event and who will
be attending. I might try to make it to this event.

Thanks,

Todd
Vin 5386

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: PEDRO MALDONADO <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 1981 Black Delorean 3-Rotor Wankel Rotary for sale on Ebay

I noticed the "Black Rotary" Delorean on Ebay and I
believe it ranks right up there with the "Dominos
Pizza Delivery" Delorean from a few weeks ago.

Pete
vin #6201

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:04:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: PEDRO MALDONADO <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fun with your DeLorean

This weekend the police called me to move my Delorean.
 It was smack dab in the middle of a state highway.
How it got there I don't know.  The last thing I knew
about my car was that I sent it to a shop for some
work.  Apparently, it rolled out of the shop lot all
on it's own.
--- Scott Mueller <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
wrote:
> My son and I just returned from a short tour of
the
> neighborhood, grocery
> store and local What-a-burger.
>
> If you think that people gawk at your stock
> DeLorean, you should see how
> they gawk at a DeLorean with a BTTF kit hanging
off

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:05:56 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean parts

In a message dated 10/20/2002 9:39:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I have talked with numerous owners who agree that DeLorean parts are not
> hard to get you just might have to wait a couple days.So why are people
> like spazzo so convinced that owning a DeLorean will break the bank?

If you take ebay ads literally, every DeLorean parts is "RARE!!! Hard to
find!!!" including dirt common items like the big black brochure.  Plus lots
of people just assume.  A college acqaintance argued with my son that he
KNOWS DeLoreans cost $100,000!  I guess he thought Dick was lying! :)

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 02:52:37 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: No Acceleration LOSS of power

Many thing can cause this. Some of the more common causes are:
Lambda system non-functional-If you don't hear a loud buzzing from the
frequency valve on the right side valve cover you probably need a new
relay to get the lambda running.
Dirty or plugged up fuel injectors-must be removed, cleaned, and
tested
Vacuum leaks-The hoses are old, stiff, and cracked or maybe just fell
off a fiting. If the mode switch is hissing you know that at least
that is one of your leaks
Control plunger sticking inside fuel metering unit-Dissasemble and
clean
Dirty or stuck pressure regulater-Clean or replace
Dirty fuel filter- Replace
Suction hose in fuel tank kinked or collapsing-Get in the tank and
replace all questionable parts and be very careful when reinstalling
the fuel pump. If you turn it while reinstalling you will kink the
pick-up hose.
A break-down of the insulation in the Secondary Ignition System. If
when installing the new ignition wires you streched one you broke the
inner core.
An improperly gapped spark plug or a cracked or defective one.
I have given you a lot of things to look at but without further
testing it is really hard to decide if the problem is fuel or ignition
related.

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:06:45 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Engine ticking noise. Not sure if it was always there

Check the oil level, idler bearings, and fan on the alternater. If it
is internal to the motor you might have a problem. If it is a ticking
noise it may only be an exhaust leak.

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:17:24 EDT
From: Swoyerzone_at_dml_aol.com

I had a sound that you described, although no one was able to find the
problem, my new mechanic found it was the distributor was about to die, (
also the car was over due for a tune up) hope this isn't the problem, but
this is what I experienced.

Darryl

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:32:33 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: John Delorean and the DeLorean Car Show Fall Foliage Tour

The Fall foliage tour was a great success again and I want to thank Mike for
puttin it on.  It was nice to sit back and enjoy it.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet but should.
Fred Dellis the creator of the Legend Turbo met me and Marc for Breakfast and
after he had talked to us for a while decided to join us at Johns former
estate.
So in addition to the 22 DeLoreans we also had Fred Dellis
Fred will be joining us in Pigeon Forge and has shared with me the
documentation of the Turbo and he will be presenting that material

You will hear more about this and other items only in The DeLorean Car Show
Magazine coming out shortly.

Also I was privelaged to have dinner with John DeLorean on Friday night and
we taked for nearly three hours on a number of topics.

He is pleased at what has happened at the car show and you will hear and see
his comments live on the DeLorean Car Show Web page within a few weeks .  He
is looking well.

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:39:48 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: A/C Panel lights

A/C panel lights are on a dedicated circuit, relay operated no less,
that is keyed to the IGNITION (does anybody have any idea *WHY* DMC
did that?). Given constant heat generated in that poor panel, not to
mention the price of replacement bulbs, one of my first mods was to
wire into the dash lights. In #5939's instance, entire lighting
circuit (but not doors or courtesy) was redone at the same time. I
suppose you could simply tap the A/C panel into the dash lights any
point after the rheostat, but that would leave other design defects in
place (call me when your dash switch melts). Your A/C panel wire color
is Red with Brown. Your dash lights are Red with White.

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:47:21 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: In-glass antennnae

In a message dated 10/20/02 5:54:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net writes:

<< I don't think a windshield antenna is a DeLorean idea.
 I can remember cars in the '70's with this particular
 affliction...

 Mike >>

I believe he meant that the idea itself was a JZD idea not an idea created
FOR the delorean car.  And as you know JZD was employed by GM in the early
70's.

Later,
Nick Pitello
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:57:08 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Could you be a bit more specific:
   Does noise vary with engine RPM's?
   Does noise change as engine temperature changes?

Engine noises can be "heard" somewhere other than their source -- use
a piece of hose like a stethoscope (WATCH THOSE BELTS & PULLEYS!) to
pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

Don't be afraid to second guess your dash gauges. They help, but
they're not the last word in diagnostic tools.

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 05:03:35 -0000
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

What problems did you have with the transmission? Was it due to
mechanical failure or the shifting computer.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "dmc_delorean_2000" <dmc_delorean_2000_at_dml_y...>

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:33:43 -0000
From: "silverdelorean2002" <silvercrw646_at_dml_cs.com>
Subject: Delorean leather seat covers? Trimtech?

Hey guys i was searching the archive because i need new leather seat
covers for my D. I noticed the company Trimtech that was the
original maker and noticed that some of you got some from them. Does
any of you have their website or contact info. I would like to
contact them.

Thanks
Jon

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:55:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If I were you I would be careful about making ignition keys for people.Many car thieves shop for people to make keys for them.

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:49:19 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

I think you were my source for some of this information, so thanks for correcting me..

Maybe it would be easier if I just had you come out to NJ and give me a hand?  :)

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:01:59 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: 2002 Eurofest... the good, the bad, the ugly

The Good:

I had a great time this year and got to meet lots of folks I had never met
before. We showed 6, including mine. I had very little time to do anything
except stand in front of my car and discuss the time machine conversion. The
crowds grew bigger and eventually the news cameras came by, so the DeLorean
got a little more positive pub. Even now, I'm still amazed at how most
adults turn into little children when they see the car.

During the show, I received the 2002 Crowd Pleaser award for our class.
Then, later that night at the banquet I received the 2002 Land Rover
Adventure award. It was given to a car that can go places and do things that
no other car can do. Naturally, I wore my lab coat to the banquet and
everyone thought that was a hoot.

The Bad:

A busted radiator. The useless neck of the radiator got a split in it leaked
out all my coolant. Nothing like winning an award and then having to be
towed home!

The Ugly:

My sunburned face. Yowch!

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:19:38 -0400
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Now I may be way off wack here, but in my experience, ALL deloreans make a
slight rattling noise - just as you describe, as in like a ratchet being
spun. On my (running) car it's most noticable if you stick your ear near
the alternator (and FWIW I've heard a car with the alternator blades
hitting the bracket and that's MUCH louder - you can't mistake that).

My own diagnosis is that it's the tensioning sliders for the timing chains
- they're made of metal and do make a continuous healthy chattering. #1458
has only got 6000 miles and it's markedly noisier than on a friend's 30k+
car.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:20:06 -0700
From: "Michael G. Fischer" <michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com>
Subject: RE: Luggage Rack Installation?

Boy, oh boy, do I know those jitters .. when I installed my luggage rack on
17106 it was hell to bring the drill to the stainless for the first time.

  My tips on this, (use at your own discretion of course) ... Measure,
Measure, Measure a 3rd time, and mark with a felt tip, then measure again.

  I used a regular Sears all-purpose drill bit, and oil to drill thru, just
take it gentle, especially when starting/breaking thru.

  I trimmed my stripping on the bottom so it would just fit snug around the
"flap bolt" .. and did a little work with the razor knife so I could keep it
in place when flipped up.  I didn't cut all the way thru, to use the rack, I
just slip the weather stripping of, flip up the bolts and slip the stripping
back into place.  I only reglued the top, maybe 3 inches.

  Now this may not be the greatest for wear on the weather stripping, but I
put the rack on more for the sake of "original option" then for general use.

From: therealdmcvegas
Subject: [DML] Luggage Rack Installation?

<snip>

3. If I cut the rubber as the instructions say, just on the bottom only,
will this
interfere with the bracket when the attachment bolts are flipped up to mount

the rack?

<snip>

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:49:15 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

That's interesting, because according to your VIN, you should be a one-key
car.
That would mean no WRxxxx code, just a straight four digit number (7,000 -
9,999).
The "S" is probably supposed to be a five, and the X doesn't mean a thing if
it is a true door code.
Do you know if those are your original doors? My doors also had my vin
written in, dates, and some other scribbles that made no sense. No Elvis
signature, though.

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:41:01 -0400
From: Dave Trenck <dtrenck_at_dml_edgar-online.com>
Subject: Delorean For Sale on EBay --> Daily Driver, Needs Love...

1981 Delorean for sale.  Just under 118,000 miles.  This was a daily driver for a long time, but has been sitting for the last few months.  It is currently not running (requires a battery steering work).  Body is in excellent condition, with few dings.  Needs work on the interior (leather seats cracked, minor dash cracks, etc, no stereo).  Would be great either for parts or to restore.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870758864

- Dave

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:15:17 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

The Lincoln Continentals we have owned, from at least 1991 to the present
all have In-glass antennas.......they work fine both on AM and FM.
Murray
Oldest DeLorean Owner
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII