From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1250
Date: Thursday, October 24, 2002 4:07 PM

1. Re: DMC ^2
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Hello Everyone
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Hello Everyone
From: "saalexander2000" <stuartalexander_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Service question
From: Creator Of Magic <powerpc_at_dml_spymac.com>

5. Bill's melted catalytic converter
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

6. Re: Re: The *last* right hand DeLorean Door
From: Creator Of Magic <powerpc_at_dml_spymac.com>

7. RE: Hello Everyone
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

8. Re: the old new DMC pictures
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

9. Re: CV Boots & Delco Alternator replacement
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Hello Everyone
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Steering wheel play
From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: Hello Everyone
From: "Alex " <af_rocks_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. BUY FROM D VENDORS. Was:Delorean parts
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

14. Nice 3D Rendered DeLorean...Looks Real!
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

15. RE: Fall Foilage Tour 2002 photos
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

16. Re: Hello Everyone
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

17. Looking for parts...
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

18. RE: Steering wheel play
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. Re: Fall Foilage Tour 2002 photos
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

20. Re: Steering wheel play
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

21. Re: DMC ^2
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

22. Re: Hello Everyone
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>

23. Re: Hello Everyone
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

24. Universal Studios official BTTF DVD site
From: "Stephen Clark" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

25. Re: Nice 3D Rendered DeLorean...Delorean Targa
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:48:50 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DMC ^2

In a message dated 10/23/02 1:26:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
powerpc_at_dml_spymac.com writes:

<< Nick,
 Thanks for the correction... and thanks for the non enlightenment of
 your post, I'm sure it was appreciated in some capacity.... and I am
 sure you would easily understand the affects of insomnia has on your
 posting.  >>

Well your welcome -i guess- for the thank you.  But, you could have easily
have found that information out yourself if you looked up the web site and
read the content and saw that it was in fact DMC Houston's web page and not
Delorean One.  And another thing...whos says I'm an insomniac?  Ever think
that maybe my work schedule enables me to stay up later then usual?  Ever
catch those informercials on Comedy Central that time a night??  You people
are missing out on valuable products that not everyone sees.

Later,
Nick Pitello (yawn)
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:55:42 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Hello Everyone

Brent,
Have used one with mine from the day I bought it. No problem, except make
sure which side of the casette is facing up when putting it in the slot. I
use recharable batteries with mine that way I do not have to use my lighter
plug.
Bruce Battles
Vin# 06569
RNDOLIMT

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:06:49 -0000
From: "saalexander2000" <stuartalexander_at_dml_hotmail.com>

> Does anyone have any experience with the portable CD players that
> have the cassette adapter?  My original ASI radio still works but
> I'd
> like to be able to play CDs without replacing the original radio.
> Comments?

Hi Brent,

My ASI stereo still works perfectly with radio and tapes and I've used
a cd adaptor quite a bit with it.  It sounds pretty good for a while
but after a few hours (on a long journey) the volume goes down (keep
having to turn it up) and it sounds distorted.  I've tried
cleaning with a cleaner tape but it hasn't improved.  I'll ultimately
replace with a cd player.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

#16686

DOC UK

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:19:58 -0400
From: Creator Of Magic <powerpc_at_dml_spymac.com>
Subject: Re: Service question

Carson,
I live in MD, Columbia area, which is closer to Baltimore then DC, but
if you give Exxon a Call in Kings Contrivance Village Center, the head
mechanic who works there used to work for DeLorean Motor Cooperation.
At least, that is what they told me, I do not know if this is correct
or not, since I have never taken a car there, but they would be worth a
shot.  I use the Mobile in Columbia which is outside of King's
Contrivance, and they do an excellent job.  Their head mechanic Matt is
wonderful.  I have a Van that has only been serviced by them, and it
had 400k miles on it before I donated it to GoodWill (same motor and
transmission).  I would definitely recommend then.  However, there is a
place called Prestige Imports who deals strictly in Exotic Foreign
Cars, I have never been there personally, but they said they would try
and see what they could do.

Now in terms of DC, or Northern Virginia, who I would recommend...
There is only one Mechanic who I know who works explicitly on old
cars/foreign cars his name is Wayne, and his shop is called Performance
Unlimited and it is in Hyatsville Maryland, which is one of the cities
which shares a boarder with DC.  I have never taken a DeLorean to him
but I am a personal friend with him, and I know he has worked on exotic
rear engine cars, and used to make all of his money by doing engine
swaps on mid to late 80s Jaguar for people.

Any ways, if your moving to D.C I would recommend Wayne, if your moving
to the DC area, near Baltimore I would recommend Mobile in Kings
Contrivance.  Both places are fantastic, do not overcharge, and do not
kill you on Labor.  You will find that in comparison these two places
are the best priced anywhere.  I have been living in the DC area for 40
odd years, and these are the best places I have found.

Hope This Helps,

Michael

Owner of Mismatched Numbers, Literally

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:47:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Bill's melted catalytic converter

Thanks for the concern, but a stopped up converter with melted
honeycomb really isn't worth much. Remember when my car sucked crap
into its fuel system this summer? That sad chain of events ended in
the converter. My local muffler house would have bent me a pipe, but
they didn't want to mess with the 4 bolt flange. And there is
absolutely nothing after the flange to connect to (flange is welded to
the converter body). Since the existing converter guts were more than
counter productive at this point, and since I needed *something* to
connect the Y pipe to the muffler, out came my big screwdriver and
hammer. It may be less than optimal, but it isn't stopped up either,
and that makes me happy (plus I have $90 to spend somewhere else --
hmm, what can I buy for the little silver car that costs *only* $90...).

FWIW, I seem to remember my outlet pipe being basically the same
diameter as the muffler tubing (I had a clear line of sight). I'd be
more concerned about performance lost to turbulence in the hollow
shell. Was concerned about noise (gutted converters on my high
compression Lincoln echoed -- past tense, now straight piped --
horrifically), but car sounds fine. May be a bit "throatier", but I
didn't notice. I *DID* notice how much cooler exhaust is (a definite
plus in a plastic car).

Of course a straight pipe is better, but if nothing else I look legal.

Could the reason I didn't notice the extra HP be that my mighty Volvo
PRV is so high performance already (snicker)? Watch this space for
results of this weekend's experiment to wire the cold start valve into
my unused full throttle switch -- I'm hoping it'll act like
secondaries on a carburetor. We'll see...

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:12:06 -0400
From: Creator Of Magic <powerpc_at_dml_spymac.com>
Subject: Re: Re: The *last* right hand DeLorean Door

I agree.  The door is not a door.  It shows the face of every Irish man
who worked for DMC, it shows the joy of the Irish children when there
father brought them home a well cooked meal, it shows the heart, dreams
& soul of a great man.  I can not imagine the emotion and the sadness
running through the faces of all the employes on those final days.

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:33:40 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

I tried playing my Discman portable CD player using the cassette adaptor.
It sounded terrible.  I ended up using the Discman and headphones.  The
headphones were the way to go.

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031
DML
DMC Forum
RDOLA

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:23:37 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: Re: the old new DMC pictures

Here's a link to Delorean Motor Club of Canada's site, it has pictures and
info on the Firestar.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/8842/firestar.html

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:09:35 -0000
From: "basfe25" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: CV Boots & Delco Alternator replacement

Those split boots arn't worth anything. They are really only for
a "temporary" fix, not a permanent one. Regular boots cannot be cut
and sealed again, the split ones are designed to snap together.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., doctorDHD_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a replacement for the outer CV Boot?
>
> I would prefer a split boot so I don't have to disassemble the
whole thing.

> Can a regular boot be "split" and sealed with something?
>

> I have replace my alternator with the Delco 7157 and it works
great
> electrically but somehow the belt seems a bit out of alignment and
I see alot

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 04:04:49 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Hi Brett, I saw your car and looked it over for you at the Fall Tour.
It is a very clean driver and with a lot of effort it could be a
contender in a concours. On your question about getting CD's to play
through your ASI radio you can buy a cheap cassette adaptor in Radio
Shack. A very good source of audio information is Crutchfield. They
have an 800# and a website _at_dml_ crutchfield.com. They will help you with
your choices and the prices are fair and the service is excellant. The
ultimate choice is to replace the crummy OEM speakers and radio with
something 20 years newer. Technology has improved immensly since the
ASI radio was built. I have seen installations where the cd player is
hidden in the "vault" behind the driver's seat, not too bad but you
give up room in there which is small to begin with and you can't get
to it while you are driving so you need a player that has multi-disk
capability. It comes down to how much you want to spend, how much work
you want to do, and how origional you want to keep the car.

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 06:03:04 -0000
From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Steering wheel play

Hey everyone,

I've gotten settled down here in the Bay Area after my move from
Arizona and I've got a question to run by you all (searches in the
archive were inconclusive).

I just had my steering rack replaced. It was confirmed to be bad, as
it was leaking, and there was a definite improvement in the
handling, but there's still a lot of play in the wheel when you turn
it left and right (it's not the column, but the wheel itself--my
column bushing is relatively new). I did the tie rod ends while the
rack was being done, but something still isn't right in there. It's
not tight, and over a nasty bump there's a slight loss of control
(those of you who've experienced this know what I mean).

I know how the car should handle, as I've driven a tight-steering D.
Is there something I'm missing? Oh, and the mechanic seemed to think
the u-joints were okay.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan McCaffrey

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 06:35:11 -0000
From: "Alex " <af_rocks_at_dml_hotmail.com>

If you want the hottest new thing for your D then you should check
out http://www.digisette.com/ It is an MP3 player that can stand
alone or because it is shaped like a cassette tape it will actually
play in your original radio. No joke, it works. I have one in my '81
D and it is a $150 solution to listening to quality music without
changing your car.

Alex
2438

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:06:05 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: BUY FROM D VENDORS. Was:Delorean parts

In a message dated 10/20/02 8:39:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> As for buying totally original DeLorean parts give me a break, if you think
you must have original parts you are just wasting money>

Upgrading to a better part because it's better, like the steel header bottle,
is one thing, but just sheer cheapness is quite another.

Have you called microsoft for customer support on your windows 98 system
lately?  If you haven't, let me tell you they charge you to talk to tech
support, as do other software makers if you're beyond their "support period."
At 20+ years and counting, your DeLorean is DEFINITELY out of warranty.  The
parts you buy from a DeLorean vendor are not only guaranteed to be correct,
but they also pay for your free tech support.
If you can't understand that, try this:  call your local Ford dealership and
ask to speak to the service manager.  Explain that you just bought a set of
header gaskets for your car at Auto Zone because his original Ford parts cost
more.  Then ask him to take 20 minutes to explain to you, since you're not a
mechanic, just exactly how you install them. If he's just delighted to do
that, sell your DeLorean and buy a Ford.

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:22:50 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Nice 3D Rendered DeLorean...Looks Real!

[Moderator Note: Ordinarily I would reject this post, since so many subscribers complain about video game conversations.  But the week of Halloween feels like the time to appreciate a bit of creativity.  -moderator Mike Substelny]

Hey List!

Check out this dude's modified DeLorean for
Need For Speed 4: High Stakes!

http://site.nfscars.com/car.php?ID=1936&comm=1

Heh heh...perhaps Rich can make this a real car with
the convertible he has!

It really is a nice interpretation of a DeLorean, the best,
and most realistic...too bad the guy didn't make a stock
version. :O I

Later Days,
Robert G.

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:10:32 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Fall Foilage Tour 2002 photos

Wow Hank, I remember you went to New Hope early but I did not realize you were making a slight detour!

http://www.eskin.net/delorean/fall2002/index.php?image=moon2.jpg&d=d.html

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:36:27 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

> I'd  like to be able to play CDs without replacing the original radio.

Hello Brent,

I did that at first (cassette adapter).  I got tired of all the wires and
such.  Then I installed a Sony 10-disc CD changer on the parcel shelf.  Very
easy to install, especially if you have the rear power antenna lead running
underneath the parcel shelf.  It uses an RF-modulator, so you receive the CD
on 88.3 or some other frequency of your choice.

That worked fine, until I wanted to use my portable MP3 player in the car,
then it was back to the cassette adapter.  But the sound out of the Craig
radio was pitiful.

Then I pulled it all out and just installed an Alpine CD player head unit
with an AUX input for my MP3 player.  I'm now in music nirvana.

So, if you (or anyone else) are interested in a barely used Sony CD changer,
I can give you a good deal before I put it up on ebay.  Email me privately.
It's a Sony cdx-530RF model.

-Hank

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:40:21 -0400
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Looking for parts...

Hi All

I need a couple of bits for #4426 that I'm stuck on:

The two lower muffler mounting brackets
The plastic screen that runs along the top of the rear windscreen and
covers the torsion bars' ends, and hooks into the roof.

I'm also looking for an upper muffler bracket, though I know these are
available, and a right-hand driver's side grey knee-pad (just being a
cheapskate here).

If you can help me out, please drop me a mail

http://mail2web.com/ .

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:55:05 -0400
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Steering wheel play

Ryan, the steering rack is adjustable for normal wear. I can't comment
directly because I haven't done it myself but James R G and Paul Salsbury
have both seen vast improvements by performing this 5 minute job.

Where the shaft enters the rack, there's a small plate held on with two
bolts. Beneath this are some interchangable shims that adjust how much the
pinion is pushed onto the rack. By removing a shim or two you will tighten
the meshing of the teeth.

I hope James and/or Paul also respond because I can't be more specific than
this. If you don't hear from either of them, please drop me a mail

Best Wishes

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:10:04 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

> Wow Hank, I remember you went to New Hope early but I did not realize you
were making a slight detour!
>http://www.eskin.net/delorean/fall2002/index.php?image=moon2.jpg&d=d.html

Yeah, those directions to New Hope were horrible!

-Hank

[This marks the end of an out of this world thread   -moderator Mike Substelny]

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:09:39 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Jack the front wheels up off the ground. Have someone hold the
steering wheel still and while you shake the front wheel side to side
look for where the movement is "lost". You could also have the person
sitting in the car rock the steering wheel back and forth while you
hod the front wheel looking for the play and lost motion. If the
steering and suspension is tight then the only thing left is a loose
rack. Make sure all of the mounting bolts holding the rack in are
tight. Check all of the bushings on the control arms. I have also seen
where tires can also cause a loose feeling in the steering. If the
sidewalls are too flexible it causes a loss of "road feel" and
sloppiness. Check the sizes of the tires and air pressure. You are
right that when the steering is working right the car has a very tight
feel. Going over bumps and loosing conrtol is called "bump steer" and
you may also need an alignment to get that fixed if it still happens
after getting out all of the play. Do a 4 wheel alignment, it is a
good investment in the longevity of your tires and driving comfort.

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:12:45 -0000
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

[Moderator Note: This is an example of an editorial that would carry a lot more weight if it were signed.  Today I've rejected a number of posts claiming to "know" various "facts" about the new DMC, all of them unsigned.  If you are going to stir things up, please sign your name.  -moderator Mike Substelny]

Personally I greatly doubt that the DMC^2 will ever happen.... Don't
get me wrong if they offer stock I might buy a few thousand shares
and see where is takes me but I think even though were all fans here
that we have to remember that the automotive industry has a long
financial memory and carries grudges even longer. In short yes it
would be cool to see but we should have heard allot more coming from
several sources by now, so don't hold your breath.  :(

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:39:40 -0400
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>

Hey brent!  An SS Louver?  Cool!  I have heard about them and that they are
few and far between.  Could you email me privately?  I hade a couple of
questions about them.  Thanx!

-Mike
mike (at) ninja.net

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:44:52 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 10/24/2002 8:31:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net writes:

> I tried playing my Discman portable CD player using the cassette adaptor.
> It sounded terrible.  I ended up using the Discman and headphones.  The
> headphones were the way to go.
>
> Scott Mueller
> 002981

Just a word of caution, you do know that this is illegal in most states? I
guess they suppose you can't hear horns and such.

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:15:06 -0000
From: "Stephen Clark" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: Universal Studios official BTTF DVD site

For those interested, Universal Studios Home Video launched their
official 'Back to the Future' broadband-enhanced website today
(10/24) for the upcoming Region 1 DVD release on December 17. The URL
is http://www.bttfmovie.com/ and there's plenty of DeLorean
photographs to please even the slightest BTTF fan.  A section devoted
to the car will open on the new site next month.

Stephen Clark
BTTF.com

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:48:41 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Nice 3D Rendered DeLorean...Delorean Targa

Robert and List,

FYI - There are rumors of a Delorean Targa on the west coast that was
constructed back in the 1990's that should look something like this
car.  It has modified doors and full rear quarter panels, with glass
and has some type of one-piece removable top.  The car was driven
around for a while, but then the owner decided to just 'park it' with
the rest of his car collection.  Anyone have real photos of this car?

BTW: I do have two other projects on the drawing board that may
incorporate either roll bars or full roll cage (not finalized yet).