From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1257
Date: Thursday, October 31, 2002 8:14 AM

1. Re: bricklin question
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

2. RE: Re: Moderating - A Hard Job
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

3. misinformation
From: Montgomery Gabrys <mgabrys_at_dml_indiego.ntw.net>

4. Re: Diving for body dies
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

5. Re: Tracking Origin
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Moderating - A Hard Job
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. How hard is the life of a DML moderator?
From: "Stragand, Dave" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

8. Re: Re: A few quick questions
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Moderating - A Hard Job
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

10. Re: Diving for body dies
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

11. Re: SS Louvers
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>

12. Antenna Problem
From: "Dennis Alberts" <DBJCFam_at_dml_alltel.net>

13. RE: Diving for body dies
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>

14. Re: Diving for body dies
From: "Shain Brannan" <shain_at_dml_elecmods.com>

15. One Year Of Ownership
From: "Shain Brannan" <shain_at_dml_elecmods.com>

16. Re: Parking Brake Light Switch
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Fuel pump , Lack of power
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

18. Moderators and dies
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Re: Want to dive DeLorean dump site.
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

20. Happy 21st Bithday
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

21. 21st birthday
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Mirror switch swap?
From: "theshovel1224" <theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Antenna Problem
From: "theshovel1224" <theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. RE: Antenna Problem
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

25. Re: Antenna Problem
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:34:50 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: bricklin question

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
Since this is responding to a direct question, I am passing it through
to the list.  There are many sites available on the web that have
Bricklin information.  Please refer to them for additional information.

Mike G  Moderator of the week

*****

A bricklin is a very interesting car.   They have either a amc or ford
390 V-8.  They also have a low rear end ratio which made them very good
performers.

THE car model was know as SV-1  meaning safety vehicle one.  Bricklin
was a maverick like JZD and Tucker in that he designed a vehicle to
survice a 50 mph head on collison. without air bags.  He actually did
this to demostrate his design.

He also used plastic body panels with the color bended in so scratches
could just be buffed out.

And of course he had hydralic gullwing doors.  There is a support
network for B ricklin owners and many parts are still available or
reproduced.

BOB

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:05:04 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Moderating - A Hard Job

Did you know that the Moderators Salary is 100% Tax Exempt.

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031
DML
DMC Forum
RDOLA

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:27:34 -0700 (MST)
From: Montgomery Gabrys <mgabrys_at_dml_indiego.ntw.net>
Subject: misinformation

re:"> This "rumor" was not incorrect and you are the only one spreading
> misinformation. Rockstar did approach us about licensing the use of
the> logo for use in that game, which we declined for several reasons."

The origonal rebuttle touted that the CAR would not be in the game. It was
not specific to the LOGO being in the game. The response I got was that
after "careful consideration and dialogue" the Delorean would not be
featured in the game. Of course - none - of the cars are named after their
orignal trademarks, so it was obvious that the DMC 12's appearance would
have ZERO bearing on the approval of trademarks used.

As it stands - product on shelf - right now, GTAVC has a "Deluxo" in it,
which I think contradicts "the Delorean will not be in the game" in a
screamingly obvious way, unless you want to nitpick lgoos some
more.

Considering NONE of the cars in the games feature the maker's logos,
trademarks or true names, and nor did any previous cars in any of their
previous games, I still suspect that the story is less than credible since
there has never BEEN any pretense for Rockstar to start including
trademarks in a property that has never given them a second thought, let
alone motivated them to establish "a dialogue".

This is in response to a request for more info on this subject. I'm
enjoying tooling around a fictional Miami in a fictional DMC 12 / Deluxo
very much presently. Feel free to investigate the game guides on the
shelves at Best-Buy, Funcoland or other retail outlets that carry video
games to see it for yourself.

Monty Gabrys
mgabrys_at_dml_netherworld.com

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:31:55 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Diving for body dies

Hello.

Unless I'm missing some piece of information, I don't believe there's
any ambiguity about the ownership of the body dies.  That fisherman
bought them as scrap in the eighties, so the dies therefore belong to
him.

If someone buys and fishes up these dies for reuse, and the surface
damage is less than one weld bead deep, I'd happily volunteer to
resurface the two left front fender dies at least.  If the new owner
and I can come to terms, I'll donate the shield gas, welding wire,
weld and grind time.  It'd be the most off-the-wall thing I ever
restored.

I'm optimistic about their condition. They probably landed face down.

Rick Gendreau

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:32:07 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Tracking Origin

THE place to go is DMC Houston. Talk to James Espey. Be prepared for
disappointment. When DMC went bankrupt most of the records were
disposed of. There is precious little left to document a particular
Delorean. You may have better luck researching State Division of Motor
Vehicle records if you can trace ownership. Many States don't keep
records for long so you will probably hit a dead end there too. You
may be able to get some of the service records as the Delorean venders
keep records on the service work they perform on cars by vin #. Some
even keep track of parts sales by vin #. Contact the nearest "D"
venders to where you know the car was and they might be able to help.
Previous owners are your best source of the info you are looking for.
They can get you back to at least the origional selling dealer.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_v...> wrote:

> I want to find the origin of my Delorean. I want to know what day it
rolled out of the plant, how long it sat on the docks, how long it sat
in Quality Assurance Center's, what dealer it went to first?
> Does anyone know where I can find this type of information?  The car
had to have left a paper trail as it went along, but where are those
papers?

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:46:04 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Moderating - A Hard Job

If your posts make sense, are legible, are about Deloreans, and are
signed you won't have much trouble with a moderater. You eventually
build up a credability with them and the list. If you are hesitant to
post then try something simple and short. We all get cut, there is no
editing except in it's entirety, the moderaters can't "fix up" a post,
they just bounce it. If it wasn't for them there would be so much
"noise" on the DML that no one would wade through it to get the
important stuff. Not to long ago we had this discussion and it was the
consensus to keep doing things they way it is. If you are not happy
with the way you are treated you can always start another list.
Sending your credentials doesn't mean all that much, it's how they
relate to Deloreans that matters. I am sure some of us could have
battles with our credentials but in the end it comes down to our
common intrest in Deloreans. One improvement I could make is that
posters need to be careful to only keep 1 subject per post. It is
easier to reply to, search for, and edit. If the moderaters would
reject posts refering to multiple, unrelated isssues things would be
clearer.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> Dave S.
> 	I could send you a copy of my Doctorate Degree so you have it
on file.  It
> is DD. ( Doctor of DeLoreans!!)
> 	I love all of the letters....I would say MOST of them, that
always say, "I
> read somewhere", or "someone told me"' or, "it is in a past DML but
I can't

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:48:59 -0500
From: "Stragand, Dave" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>
Subject: How hard is the life of a DML moderator?

Hi All,

I know what these moderators go through -- as I run 6 different mailing lists myself, and have been a member of this list for over five years.  Want an idea of how their average day goes?  Try following just one imaginary thread... Let's say that I changed my turn signal light bulb in the 'Vixen', for instance. How many emails does that generate?  About FIVE HUNDRED emails:

1 to change the light bulb, and to post to the list that the light bulb has been changed (that's me).

17 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs, and how the light bulb could have been changed differently, or to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs, and/or how light bulbs should only be changed by approved vendors

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

21 to flame the spell checkers.

20 to correct spelling/grammar in the spelling/grammar flames.

37 to write to the moderators complaining about the light bulb discussion and its inappropriateness to this list.

22 to post that this list is not about light bulbs and to please take this thread to the new [DMC-LIGHTBULBS] group at Yahoo Groups!

54 to demand that cross posting to [DMCforum], [NCDMC] and [dmc_electrics] about changing light bulbs be stopped.

41 to defend the posting to this list saying that we all have light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this mail list.

106 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for D's, and what brands are poor.

5 to say that HID, LED or OLED lightbulbs are better.

10 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

8 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly, and to post corrected URLs.

2 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this list which makes light bulbs relevant to this list.

2 to ask about the differences in Euro-spec lightbulbs.

2 to talk about DMC light bulbs seen in video games/rock videos/movies/television/etc.

1 to post about the new light bulb vote in the polls section.

3 posts to ask where the polls section is.

19 posts asking about the light bulbs used in "Back to the Future".

12 to concatenate all posts to date, then quote them including all headers and footers, and then add pointedly, "Me Too."

7 to quote the "Me Too's" and happily add, "Me Three!"

4 to post to the list that they are unsubscribing because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

3 to suggest that someone make a DMC light bulb FAQ.

1 to propose getting all new moderators that are "lightbulb friendly"

4 vendors to say that their bulbs are NOS, better than NOS, or even better than the sun.

1 post from Martin Gutkowski about how to make your own improved light bulbs (some soldering skill required).

3 to post light bulb cross-references.

5 to say that those cross-references can be dangerous & to support the vendors!

3 to talk about how they bought a case of lightbulbs for $1 at a KAPAC warehouse sale.

7 to say that Delorean One would not sell them any light bulbs.

3 to defend D-One, saying that Ed Bernstein -is- the light; there is no need for bulbs.

11 to say just take the car to to PJ Grady, DMC Houston, Dave Bauerle, Don Steger, DMC Joe, etc.

3 to suggest that somehow James Espey has some kind of "light bulb conspiracy" going on.

2 to say that Lee Seiler's scale DMC lightbulb has -still- not arrived.

1 to say that Lee's light bulb did arrive and is wonderful.

2 emails asking if JZD invented the light bulb.

1 to ask if JZD invented light.

4 from new owners (or non-owners) asking What is a light bulb?/Where is it?/How can it be changed?

39 emails begging the moderators to please end this thread.

5 to talk about diving in the North Sea to find the original DMC light bulb dies.

2 to say how those dies would no longer be useful.

1 from the moderator of the week, saying that the light bulb thread is now dead (unless anyone has anything really new to add)

1 post with new information

1 from the moderator of the week (again), saying that the light bulb thread is now REALLY dead. =)

In that flurry of 500 emails, just how many get through?  NOW you know what the life of a moderator is like...

-Dave Stragand

VIN #05927
http://www.projectvixen.com

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:12:05 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: A few quick questions

Matthew,

i think it goes without saying we are all dying to hear what kind of work was
done that cost twelve big ones...... i'm just curious as to what kind of
engine work requires that kind of money.  if it's ok, please forward the bill
including parts and labor quotes to the list........ for curiosity's sake!

Andy

In a message dated 10/30/02 11:37:28 AM Central Standard Time,
stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com writes:

> No no no, I didn't pay that much no way "but I have the receipts." I
> just bought the car less than a week ago and the guy fell out of love
> with the car after having to fork that kind of cash over. It was for
> the drive train, suspension and a few other minor things. I have the
> papers and I can scan them in to show you guys and get your opinion
> on all the work... for all I know there forged with delorean one
> headings, who knows.

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:20:25 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

Not too long ago, there was a discussion on moderation and such
on this list. I don't think our moderators will allow this thread
to get that long again, but hopefully this got through.

If you want an unmoderated list, join DMC-Forum which got into
existence becuase of some people disagreeing on the DML.
I'm a member of both, and like both, but sometimes get
REALLY annoyed by DMC-Forum not being moderated...

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:24:32 -0500, "Robert Hlavacek" wrote:

> Our DML Moderators have a difficult job.
[snip]
> I have a thought which may help, and everyone can add to it.
> If we can think of editing guidelines
[snip]
> These would be in addition to already written down guidelines.

The rules can be read at <http://www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html>
and should pop up in all of our boxes next friday, as they do every
first of the month...
I think these rules are (or should be) sufficient, but unfortunately
a lot of people seem to ignore these rules
Just as they seem to ignore the fact that the DML has a VAST, well
searchable archive on-line, thus bothering long-time readers with
VERY simple questions about every other month (like the oil-thing...)

> One guideline might be that when a post is received on a valid DML
> topic, the post is allowed if it is by a higher credentialed individual
> than has commented to date.  Example: A Masters degreed Chemical
> Engineer estimating the current condition  of the underwater steel dies.

I sincerely DISagree with you here...

First of all this is the internet; you can be anyone you like and
anything you like. If I decide to claim I have a masters degree in
something, how can you prove I'm not??? I'm very sorry, but you can't!

This would be just as annoying as people not using their real name when
signing off a post. Which tells you more "JanTM" or "Jan van de Wouw"?
Both of those are me by the way...

> Credentialed people will stop sharing their knowledge with the
> DML if there work never makes it to the DML post.

I don't think the moderators would kill all of THEIR work, just the
things that don't make sense within the context of the DeLorean.
Having a title to put next to your name does not mean you have
absolute knowledge, it just shows you know a lot about a specific
subject in a specific context.

Being a chemist doesn't mean you know the know-it-all on oil; you just
happen to know a bit more about oil (and other chemical mixtures)
than the average person.

I don't want to start a flame-war, but wouldn't the world be a dull
place to live in if we all knew the same and liked the same?
We'd be like the Borg "resistance is futile".

I'm getting carried away, time to stop...
And NO I'm not dunk ;-) I don't even drink alcohol...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:36:35 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

While the topic is still alive, I thought I would add a few more
pieces of information and a few questions for potential organizers
who would consider chartering a boat to investigate the location
and condition of the body dies.  As others have mentioned, I would
not consider an advanced phase (such as recovery) without proper
authorization in advance.

The first phase would be to identify the exact location, if not
known by the skipper of the boat that actually dumped the dies.
This phase could be done with a boat, a small crew, the underwater
camera (setup for 150ft of tethered cable, for shallow searches)
and two divers, used to either verify the initial camera images or
to retrieve the camera if it gets entangled in one of the nets.
The remote camera would do most of the busy work until the actual
dies are located, then divers can be sent in once dies are found.
This would be much less expensive than assembling teams of divers
to do the initial searching and has less risks associated with it.

If the dies can be located (and a GPS location recorded) and can be
video taped with the underwater camera, if the shapes of the dies
can be recognized, the currents are not too strong and if the water
turbidity allows for clear images, I ould deem the first phase of
the expedition a success.  If other still photos could be taken
with a diver next to the dies, maybe attaching a sign that states
"the extreme Delorean enthusiasts of the DML were here on xx/xx/xx"
and getting at least one good photo for the Picture of the Month.

If someone could look into the best time of year to attempt this
charter (favorable weather and water temperature, best time of year)
and can find out an approximate depth that the body dies may lay on
the bottom, I will send out the camera system for them to use for
preliminary investigation.  Just knowning where the dies are and their
current condition would be a nice historical footnote 20 years later.

Maybe they are still building Deloreans in Atlantis, with the plant
manager, Sponge Bob Square Pants.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> I too am a certified (and certifiable) diver..  Please let me know
if this happens, I would be interested in participating.

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:43:01 -0000
From: "dcsj4465" <dcsj_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: SS Louvers

Brent

Is their any chance you could post some pictures of your louvres in
the photo album.  Their was one picture of a SS louvre in an OLD
Delorean World Mag. But was printed in B&W so you couldn't even see
the stainless. the Three Known louvres where supposedly factory
prototypes NOT aftermarket options. Can you tell how the skins were
attached to the louvres? Adhesive or mechanical ie; bent tabs.

Thanks,

Dennis 5180

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_n...> wrote:
> Thanks to all for the recomendations for the CD adapter, now on to
> the louvers.
>
> The stainless steel louvers on my car are not solid stainless
steel.
> They are your standard black fiberglass louver with a thin skin of
SS
> on each slat.  To me, it does not seem like much extra weight but I
> am told that the struts will wear out quicker because of it.  The
> former owner thought that this was one of three cars that had the
SS

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:59:14 -0500
From: "Dennis Alberts" <DBJCFam_at_dml_alltel.net>
Subject: Antenna Problem

I have an '82 Delorean and my antenna doesn't go down all the way when I turn the radio off.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:29:26 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>

If the timing was right and we could work it out.  I might be able to
include my side scan sonar unit.  We use it to salvage wrecks and find
treasure in the St. Lawrence River, but the application is world wide.

For an example visit www.marinesonic.com for more details.  The unit we
have is the sea scan pc towed system.  It would allow us to scan a width
equal to a football field (100 yards) per side of the boat... That's
right 100 yards per side.

Jack & Virginia Stiefel
1981 Delorean Vin 03461 August 1981 Build
1988 Jaguar XJ-SC Cabriolet Edition
Visit us now at www.sacketmansion.com
Live Internet Radio at www.radiocapevincent.com

I too am a certified (and certifiable) diver..  Please let me know if
this happens, I would be interested in participating.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:19:49 -0000
From: "Shain Brannan" <shain_at_dml_elecmods.com>

Hello,

Although i did not want to reply to this thread,  it has me somewhat
intrested.  First of all for thos who want to find dies to make new
panels,  i think that this is very foolsih is alot of respects.
These dies must have required large machinery to press the ss
panels?  Who has this equipment to even use them,  i cannot see this
as a cost effeciant ways to make new panels, besides there are large
amounts in warehouses and on parts cars.  Also did anythign think
that the people who owns these nets would mind if he unhooked the
anchors from them?  This is the least of our worries,  but is a
consideration.  What i would be very intrested in is having someone
take pictures of them. Panel reproduction does not seem to be a
major concern,  i would much rather have companies make reprod
binacles and dash boards,  is see so many great DeLoreans out there
with great exteriors and terrible exteriors.  Just my 2 cents
worth,  sorry if it appears to be so negative.  I know everyone
wants as much information as possible about our cars history,  for
me just owning one is good enough.

- Shain

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:46:45 -0000
From: "Shain Brannan" <shain_at_dml_elecmods.com>
Subject: One Year Of Ownership

Hello Everyone,

   In roughy two weeks it will be my birthday, as well as my one
year ownership of 10140.  I bought her a year ago and a poorly
stored garage wreck.  She was is such bad mechanical condition that
i had to pull her out of the garage with a truck because her brakes
had rusted together.  Her clutch and preasure plate was rusted
together, and fuel system has 13 year old gas still in the tank.
After the first 2 months i took her for her first trip around my
development, although she was smoking terribly and barely made it,
it was the best 1 minute trip of my life.  Currently my car is in
excellant mechanical shape, and is in daily driveable condition if
need be.  I would take my car anywhere with complete confidence.  I
brought back to life a car that would have continued to rot away in
a garage.  Ownership on my car was a great accomplishment in my
young life, but being able to restore a dead car made the trip so
much better.

   There were many times through my adventure when i felt that i was
never going to get the car going or running correctly.  At some
points i felt so compelled to sell the car due to frustration.  So
my patientence, intelligence and my discover card helped me make it
to the end.  I have done everything on the car myself, minus
changing the tires and installing a rear glass panel. Anyone who has
ever seen me with my car at gatherings i'm always smiling and take
great pride in my accomplishment.

   I would just like to thank everyone on the list who has offered
me advice.  Personal thank yous go out to Rob Grady and all of his
staff, David Teitabulm (sorry bout the spelling) for alot of advice
and for adjusting my door, and Matt Olans and Jim Reeve for helping
me get feathered into my local group.

   Lasty, to all of you out there who have a project they have been
putting off,  go ahead and try it.  I am a young 20 year old person
and have been more hten able to bring a dead car back to life.  I
have even have developed some new items, like braid ss fuel
accumulator lines, my new 140 amp alternator that is smaller then
mos ti have seen and a easy to build fan module.  Remeber trying is
better then leaving something undone or broken, wether to fix it
sucessfuly or not.

Cheers!
-Shain Brannan

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:49:39 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Parking Brake Light Switch

In a message dated 10/27/02 1:47:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> Does any have information on how to adjust the Parking Brake Light Switch?
> Or how to get to it?  My Light comes on unless I hold down the parking
> brake

I've debated trimming off part of the lower rubber lip, but haven't  You will
notice that the "hump" it ties in to is higher toward the doorside.  The
rubber can also twist a bit as you grip it.  If it twists toward the door, it
will hang up. If you twist it a bit away from the door as you put it down, it
probably won't. Simple enough.  Trim it enough to avoid twisting it, and it
may look too chopped off... like a high water mark!

Wayne

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:49:38 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel pump , Lack of power

In a message dated 10/29/02 12:26:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cp_at_dml_delorean.co.uk writes:

> My question is, where is a dirty pug or contact between
> the power supply and fuel pump?

This is not likely to answer your problem, but it reminds me of a similar
situation on my D.  When I replaced my fuel pump boot I noticed an extra
ground wire crudely spliced in to the harness.  Tracing it back, I found the
inertia switch had been bypassed.  I'm guessing that in the past, the switch
had been in the wrong position, and a "clever" mechanic, not realizing how it
works, had run the extra wire. (Depriving me of that particular safety
feature.)  I plugged the inertia switch socket back in, made sure the plunger
was in the correct position, removed the extra wire, and by golly, it works!
I assume you've checked the continuity on your inertia switch?

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:54:09 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Moderators and dies

Fellow DMCer's,
How about lets all give some money and send the moderators to recover the
dies. That way they have something (a trip and the dies) to show for their
time and effort!
Keep up the GREAT job guys!!!
Bruce Battles
Vin# 06569
RDOLIMT

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:58:07 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Want to dive DeLorean dump site.

i would think if the dies are in the water they do not belong to anybody because they
have been abandoned for almost 20 years. isn't there a maritime law regarding
abandonment of anything in water. what about the titanic does everything recovered
belong to the passengers of the ship or the white star line? what about all of the gold
coins recovered from english and spanish shipwrecks, i never heard about these
recoveries being returned to their rightful owners.

somebody start up a dive team and set a date to examine these dies with in the next
year. i say step up and arrange for a dive and pick up the dies or lets drop the subject
since we all know nobody really will dive and recover these dies. since someone in
england can make a quick dive and see the status of the condition of the dies it should
be cheap enough to do this. personally will send a donation to pick up these dies if
someone will really recover them or at least look at them. i put my money where my mouth
is lets all do the same or drop this subject.

this subject is just like the torsion bar subject, everybody wants houston to make new
ones but has anyone really stepped up and bought one yet so they can get the new bars
made?

i thought so
mark

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:02:02 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Happy 21st Bithday

Fellow DMCer's,
My D (vin #06569) just turned 32 this month. Happy B day to her and to the
other 6000 series vin #'s this month.
Bruce Battles
Vin # 06569
RDOLIMT

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:07:01 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: 21st birthday

My last post had an typo, it should have read 21st birthday. Problem, fat
fingers and small keyboard. So lets try it again happy birthday to all 6500+
vin #'s.
Bruce Battles
Vin# 06569
RDOLIMT

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:33:38 -0000
From: "theshovel1224" <theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Mirror switch swap?

I had the same problem with my mirror switch.  I bet if you take some
WD-40 or other electrical contact cleaner & clean the contacts, one
of the switches will work.

John Yeoman

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., RJRavalli_at_dml_A... wrote:
> I have two semi-functioning Delorean mirror switches that I would
like to see if I can swap for one which is fully functional.  One I
have is my "new" one, but only moves the mirrors up and down, not side
to side.  My other "original" one broke its mirror selector switch and
is likely missing some piece that fell out of it.

> Can anyone one works on these help me out here?  Please let me know
if you can in e-mail: RJRavalli_at_dml_a...

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:55:27 -0000
From: "theshovel1224" <theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Antenna Problem

Sometimes this is caused by something being broken inside the
antenna mast.  Other times it can be solved by cleaning &
lubricating with WD-40 or Tri-Flow.

John Yeoman

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:13:26 -0600
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

I was told to try this after I pulled mine out (actually, I just realized it
came from www.deloreans.com magazine, so I've looked it up and have it
here). I haven't yet got mine hooked back up... I like the music of the
engine. But I do need to.

First remove the canister so you can get to it.
Next, remove the outer mounting nut-- but not the inner nut-- on top of the
mast/stick.
Turn on the radio, jump out and keep pulling it up. It comes out and has
this little white tail with teeth for the motor.
If teeth are missing, replace it. If not-- clean and lube it. Clean and lube
in the hole too.
Now, with radio on, feed the tail down the hole about 12 inches to stop,
teeth to the front.
Have someone turn the radio off while you push it down-- don't force it,
just let it engage and retract away and get it all lined up correctly.
A few on/offs and it should adjust to full closure/opening.

FWIW-- I haven't done this yet, but will as soon as I finish the built-in
bookcase this weekend (in the house, not the D!).
-Kevin

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:35:21 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

To fix this you first remove the antennae mechanism from the car. Next
you will remove the mast assembly from the power unit. Clean and
relubricate everything. Before reinstalling in the car run it up and
down a few times. If it is still having problems you must adjust the
clutch inside. There is a ratcheting mecahanism that after it "bumps"
3 times it switches off the motor. If the antennae is stiff to move
the clutch will shut the motor off prematurely so everything has to
work freely to function porperly. There is no good written procedure
on this so you need to be a little familiar with the way these things
work. If you can't get it to work right then maybe a local auto radio
shop can help you with it. As long as it goes up and down the nylon
drive cable probably isn't broken but be careful with it because after
20 years it is probably stiff and ready to crack if handled roughly.
If it does break it isn't so bad. You just have to replace the mast
assembly which isn't too expensive.