From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1259
Date: Friday, November 01, 2002 6:01 AM

1. moderators' lives
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

2. Re: Re: Diving for body dies
From: "David Hamblyn" <hammy140_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Cold start valve wired to full throttle switch (don't bother)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

4. Re: gas mileage anyone?
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. DeLoreans as prizes
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Please HELP my worst nightmare
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>

7. Re: Audio Amplifiers in DeLoreans
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Value of the dies
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

9. RE: DeLoreans as prizes
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

10. RE: Value of the dies
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

11. Houston area DML'ers take note...
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

12. Re: A few quick questions
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

13. Re: EFI Delorean
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

14. re:help my worst nightmare(broken torsion bar)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Cold start valve wired to full throttle switch (don't bother)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Audio Amplifiers in DeLoreans
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

17. DeLorean in New ROCKSTAR Game VICE CITY
From: "Digital Devices" <delorean_at_dml_digital-devices.net>

18. November 23rd Cars For Charity , Melbourne Show/Meet
From: "brevardmotorsports" <events_at_dml_brevardmotorsports.org>

19. Re: Please HELP my worst nightmare
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

20. DMC-12 in GTA:Vice City
From: "David Hamblyn" <hammy140_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:15:30 -0500
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: moderators' lives

Dave Stragand's story of the hypothetical listing on DMCNEWS for a turn
signal light bulb is brilliant! This is the stuff suitable for any magazine.
Hell, it's suitable for Pysch 101 at any university! Got a great giggle out
of it.

Marv
# 17707
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:31:53 +0000
From: "David Hamblyn" <hammy140_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Diving for body dies

Lads, i'm a Delorean enthusiast in Ireland(not yet an owner however), and i
find this topic extremely exciting.I'm drawn to every topic with the above
subject!Brilliant idea, who was the first to mention it.I hope that all goes
well and something comes out of all this, even finding the positions would
be good.Does anyone know the approximate location of the dumping site, and
what asshole actually gave the order to dump these dies into the
ocean?Millions of dollars of research and history just buried in the
Atlantic
Dave Hamblyn
Cork, Rep.of Ireland

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:39:42 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Cold start valve wired to full throttle switch (don't bother)

Finally wired my cold start valve to the full throttle switch (have no
Lamda system so the leads were flopping around unused). Actually
REDUCED power -- engine must have been swimming in gas. Don't know if
my replacement valve is typical or not, but it floods very easily.
Will kill the car (at idle) within 2 seconds. Line to the valve is
only 1/8" or so (I have formed steel lines) -- every bit of that must
be dumped at once.

Final verdict: increased fuel flow doesn't appear to be route to more
power (on normally aspirated engine).

Next experiment: higher voltage coil...

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:11:00 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: gas mileage anyone?

I have consistantly gotten 19 mpg general driving, and close to 30 mpg on
the highway with a 5-speed.  (~325 miles/tankful on the hiway)  Drive
Stainless    Robert   VIN 6924

From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] gas mileage anyone?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 13:25:14 -0700 (PDT)

I have read a bunch of conflicting statistics for the DeLoreans gas mileage
what is the usual gas consumption rate?It cant be any worse than the ford
fairmont I owned once,it really sucked gas like a tank it was an inline 6cyl
carbeurated.I am probably going to drive my D around alot so I need to know
how much its gonna cost to feed the beast.

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN!

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:23:01 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLoreans as prizes

I am alarmed by the continuing practice of companies using DeLoreans as give away prizes in contests.I am sure that most unsuspecting people who win these cars know nothing about caring for it.They will simply drive it until it breaks down and have it towed to a mechanic.After recieving the bill for the repairs they will panic and sell the car.But not before letting it sit long enough under a tree out back to decay further.Or worse yet send it to the junk yard! Another thing I dont like is people giving them to charities they suffer the same fate at the hands of some ignorant sod.

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:56:09 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>
Subject: Please HELP my worst nightmare

How down do I feel???

Oh no much lower than that......

I was out at my car on Sunday and tinkering as you do ...Locked her up and
went to bed.

Tonight I went out to get my camera out of the glove box and could not open
the drivers door, it just felt really heavy. after a heave all was revealed.
.

A BROKEN TORSION BAR..............right in the middle

How could this happen? whilst the door was closed.....

Who has one they wish to sell a needy person or knows where I can get one.

Thanks for the help in advance

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:15:52 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Audio Amplifiers in DeLoreans

Folks:

I am looking to replace my present JL Audio 300/4 amplifier, which can't
serve my needs for quality sound.  I previously had a Blaupunkt 4 channel 300
watt amp that was okay until the unit quit on me.

I am presently looking to install either a McIntosh MC404 or a Zapco C2k-4.0x
amplifiers. I would like an opinion from anyone who has experiences or
actually have installed either a McIntosh MC404 or a Zapco C2k-4.0x amplifers
in ther DeLoreans or other vehicles that they own or that they might have
auditioned.

Please email me privately as not to tied up the bandwidth of the DML.

Thanks.

Kayo
Lic.  9D NY

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:04:43 -0800 (PST)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Value of the dies

The subject of the dies comes up from time to time, and at this time, there really is no need for them. Ask anyone who has been to our warehouse in Houston, there are thousands of body panels and doors. At the current rate of sales, we have over a 100 year supply of doors alone, and that is not an exaggeration. Right fenders, hoods, quarters and t-panels are very similar in quantity. A new die for the left front fender can be had for about $30,000 or less WITHOUT having the old one for reference. The fenders in a quantity of 250 would cost about $600 each. That's $180,000 total. Everything cost more than you think it will, so round up to $200,000. Over the run of 250, that's $800 each AT COST, no markup. Let's say that in the last ten years we've sold 50 RIGHT front fenders, and that the other major vendors have done the same for an average of 15 per year. If we sell them at $1200 each, it will take over 11 years to recoup the initial $200,000 investment. Wouldn't everyone rather have dashpads, binnacles, etc, etc, etc right now? At this time the numbers don't work to make fenders, and there is next to no demand at this time. When the numbers work, we will make them.

I haven't even talked about the logisitics of diving and raising the dies, compensating the current owner, replacng them with something else, etc. The guy who did coordinate a dive of them, Gordon Novel, is still active in the DeLorean community and comes to DMCH from time to time. Th next time I see him I will ask him for his recollections of them and why they didn't raise them then.

James
DMCH

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:21:30 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: DeLoreans as prizes

I dissagree with you on this one.  In fact my company (eNovel) will be
giving a DeLorean away in a writing contest in 2003.  A fully restored 1981
with approximately 5,000 miles on it.  Anything that keeps the D in front of
people and the enthusiasm high is a plus.  We will be taking it to trade
shows across the country.  My opinion is that the winner must have wanted it
or they would not have entered.  I will leave the lucky new owner with a
list of service centers and a full set of manuals.

Jack

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:55:13 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

Thanks for this info..

My interest in diving the dies was purely out of interest and to maybe snap some shots.  I agree, it is silly to try and raise them.

Your message below however brings in to question why the cost of parts is so high, if the demand is so low..  The cost to store all of those parts for 100 years will probably exceed what you could sell them for today if the price was reduced....  But don't drop the price of doors too much just yet, I have one I am looking to sell first!  :)

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:08:45 -0800 (PST)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Houston area DML'ers take note...

The local CBS affilate, Channel 11 KHOU came to visit DMCH and will air the segment this Sunday night on their 10pm newscast. I will try to get it digitally and upload it to our site next week.

James Espey
DMCH

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:30:20 -0000
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: A few quick questions

Okay there up on the photos section under "12K in delroean repairs."
I was unaware that yahoo shrinks the files so if anyone wants a
larger copy send me an email and I will send then to yah.

Matthew Stits
Vin 0789

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> i think it goes without saying we are all dying to hear what kind
of work was
> done that cost twelve big ones...... i'm just curious as to what
kind of
> engine work requires that kind of money.  if it's ok, please
forward the bill
> including parts and labor quotes to the list........ for
curiosity's sake!

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:24:42 -0500
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: EFI Delorean

it might be

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/nov01del.htm

Joseph Molino

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:30:19 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: re:help my worst nightmare(broken torsion bar)

You have to realize that the torsion bars are under pressure when the door is closed.The fact that they wish to twist back to their original position is what opens the doors.DeLoreans stored with the doors shut for long periods are the most likely to have droopy door problems.As the car sits stored the bars are under the constant strain of being twisted.Then if the storage area is not climate controlled ( almost all are not) the temperature changing up and down works on the bars integrity slowly but surely.Eventually the doors are droopy or as in your case they break.I wonder if that bar damaged anything when it snapped you should check carefully.Storing the car with the doors shut also makes those piston things go bad.I would be willing to bet that the gold delorean in that bank has droopy doors.

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:38:31 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Wiring your cold start valve to the full throttle switch to increase power with more gas flow?That is a ridiculous notion,you cant just pump more gas in and expect more power.You will not get anymore power with a more powerful coil either.You should stop tinkering with stuff you dont understand before you break something.

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:34:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 kayoong_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> I am looking to replace my present JL Audio 300/4 amplifier, which can't
> serve my needs for quality sound.  I previously had a Blaupunkt 4 channel 300
> watt amp that was okay until the unit quit on me.

[snip]

> Please email me privately as not to tied up the bandwidth of the DML.

By all means, keep the emails private, but please (and this is being
posted to the list as a request to anyone who requests something like
this_, please summarize your responses back to the list in the interest of
our continuing education. Thanks. =)

--n

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:57:33 -0500
From: "Digital Devices" <delorean_at_dml_digital-devices.net>
Subject: DeLorean in New ROCKSTAR Game VICE CITY

As rumours stated, Grand Theft Auto ViCE CITY does have a delorean in it

It there.. looks kinda cheesy . but no doubt about it

It's a DeLorean

Its call a DeLuxo in the game!

Hehehehe

Just though I would let you all know!

I love the 80's soundtrack in the game.. great 80's vibes

Kenneth

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:49:52 -0000
From: "brevardmotorsports" <events_at_dml_brevardmotorsports.org>
Subject: November 23rd Cars For Charity , Melbourne Show/Meet

Greetings,

My name is Vik Saini, and I represent a club called Brevard
Motorsports.  I am writing you this letter today to inform you about
an event we are having on Nov 23rd here in Melbourne, FL.  This event
is planned as a big car show and contest.  There will be several
things going on, from about 10AM till 6pm.  The thing that sets this
event apart from the usual, is that we are involving all types of
cars.  As per our club sprit, we are having all different groups
attend.  We want to have classic cars, sport compacts, muscle cars,
european cars, exotics, even low riders!  The main goal of the event
is to make a donation to the CandleLighters organization.
http://www.candlelighters.org   (specifically the Brevard Chapter).
CandleLighters is an organization which deals with Families who are
coping with a child who has or has survived cancer.  They provice
emotional, financial, and phsyical support to these families.

The money that we will raise will come from 2 sources:
1 General Contributions (Reciepts will be given to those who donate,
for tax purposes)
2 Entrance Fee's (10 dollars to show your car in the meet/contest.
3 Dollars to just come out and walk around)

Brevard Motorsports, and I are asking yourself and members of your
group to come out that day and join us in this event!  You can be
assured a good time, Just think about all the different cars and all
the good your contributions will make!

Please email me back so we may work out the details of your
participation if any.  I really hope your group attends!  Check out
our website for more information.  Maps, lodging arangements food,
etc.. all that information will be on our website.

Sincerly,

Vik Saini (vsaini_at_dml_brevardmotorsports.org)
Brevard Motorsports (http://www.brevardmotorsports.org)

Attached is a one of the flyers for the event

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:59:23 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Please HELP my worst nightmare

Paul - I can't personally help you in terms of a replacement torsion
bar, but I can tell you that the torsion bars are at their highest
only time you will see a failure of the bar - either while opening or
closing the door, or while closed.  I'm sorry to hear about this, and
I hope that somebody can come forward with a suitable spare.  We had
talked on the List about making an aftermarket bar for the driver's
side, but the cost and complexity of the undertaking was more than any
one individual wanted to take on.  As James Espey said in his post on
body panels, a positive ROI (return on investment) would be a long
time coming for a part like this, unless a larger enterprise could
take it on ... (DMCH?) I did talk to an expert on exotic metals just
today regarding this part, and he said that a relatively new alloy of
titanium would be perfect for this application.  He did say that it
might be a "bit spendy" though.  If anybody wants additional
information on it, let me know.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 02:14:05 +0000
From: "David Hamblyn" <hammy140_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DMC-12 in GTA:Vice City

Lads, for all it's worth, i think there is a DMC12 in the upcoming Rockstar
Games Grand Theft Auto:Vice City on the Playstation 2.Now this series of
games is UNBELIEVABLE 3D graphics, so the Delorean rendered graphics should
be well worth buying the game.When u enter a vehicle, the character
realistically opens the door etc, so i'm waiting with baited breath.Cheers
to the guy who posted about Rockstar Games, cos that but me on the
factfinding track on whether the sexy car was in the game.By the way the
game is set in the eighties!

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!