From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1260
Date: Friday, November 01, 2002 8:49 PM

From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: Nick Ryan <nick_at_dml_imagenow.ie>

From: "Robert Hlavacek" <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>

From: "Kevin Rawlings" <delorean_at_dml_canada.com>

From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "Zack Maze" <zack_at_dml_seanbaby.com>

From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

10. Re: Value of the dies
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

11. Torison Bar
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

12. Re: Value of the dies
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

13. Re: Re: Diving for body dies
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

14. Re: Older cars as daily transportation
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

15. Halloween Fun
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

16. Re: Diving for body dies
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Re: Cold Start Valve Experiment
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Re: Cold start valve wired to full throttle switch (don't bother)
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

19. Torsion Bars on eBay?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

20. Re: Re: Please HELP my worst nightmare
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Steering column rattling
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

22. ATTN: Marc A. Levy (door)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

23. Re: UPDATE: Hawaii Dealership DMC
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

24. Quality of Dies- (Another strain of this virus)
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Value of the dies
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 04:50:11 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Please HELP my worst nightmare

Although the torsion bars are under more stress when the doors are
closed compared to the total stress imposed on the bars even if you
keep the doors open you are not really reducing the stress all that
much. Same goes for the gas pressure in the struts. The difference is
that over time the pressure does leak out as opposed to the stress on
the torsion bars which over the life of the bar changes very little
even with changes in temperature. Until you pass the elastic limit of
the materiel in the torsion bars they will return to the shape that
they origionaly were. In normal usage of the torsion bars that doesn't
happen.
 What probably did happen to your bar is that it got scratched at some
time in it's life. Stess concentrated on the scratch and became a
crack which caused the catastophic failure. I have seen this happen.
It happened to me on my passenger bar. The bar rubbed on the rear
hinge. I now keep a small piece of rubber cut from an inner tube
between the torsion bars and the rear hinge. It is especially
important to use the rubber at the time the bars are adjusted as they
can move around a lot more and have a greater chance of contacting the
rear hinge. On some cars the bar is closer to the hinge then on
others. You should be able to pull the bar away from the rear hinge
and slip in between a small piece of rubber about 1" by 2". Do it on
both doors with a small dab of glue to keep it in there.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_k...> wrote:
> Paul - I can't personally help you in terms of a replacement torsion
> bar, but I can tell you that the torsion bars are at their highest
> only time you will see a failure of the bar - either while opening
or

Date: 01 Nov 2002 10:06:42 +0000
From: Nick Ryan <nick_at_dml_imagenow.ie>
Subject: Re: Re: Diving for body dies

As I said before. It's Kilciaran, in south connemara. They are holding down Lobster nets. I have photos of the location. I was there two years ago.

Nick
Dublin, Ireland

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 06:00:20 -0500
From: "Robert Hlavacek" <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>
Subject: Die Information?

This has been a fun string. does anyone know the following facts, I'm
curious:

* General location of dies?
* How deep is the water?
* Did someone use them as an anchor?
* Type of steel they're made of?
* Any other FACTS only?

Opinion:  The value of a die would be it's historical value, probably $ for
a Delorean supplier, to put in front of their business as kind of modern
art - the worse condition the better!  I think we could find a $5,000 buyer,
maybe $50,000, enough to finance recovery of 1 die.  Likely $20,000 buyer
could be found

If someone supplies me with ALL the known Information, I'll go get the dies,
I can.

* If a fisherman DID use the dies as an anchor, it's likely the rope or
chain is still attached!  Grapple the rope, haul them up.  Bottom plotting
depth finders are cheap, mounted on a towed sled 30 feet off the bottom, the
dies could be located.

* The dies are now open to salvage.  You bring them up, their yours.
Probably cost $20,000 to do above, unless your lucky.  I  believe someone
has the latitude and longitude of where they are.  A $300 marine GPS is good
to about +/-10'.

Reading these posts are fun!  There's a lot of interest, I'm interested.

Bob Hlavacek   bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:17:01 -0000
From: "Kevin Rawlings" <delorean_at_dml_canada.com>
Subject: Where is JZD now?

Hey DMLers,

I haven't posted in a while, and I've been pretty out of touch with
the DeLorean world lately.  I have one question, though.  Whatever
happened to JZD after the bankruptcy issue?  Last I remember there
were rumours floating around that he was living somewhere in New
York.  Thanks for indulging my ignorance.

Kevin Rawlings
DeLorean Canada
DRIVE STAINLESS

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 06:18:12 -0600
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Value of the dies

While walking through the old Kapac warehouse several years back I  remember
Marvin Kantz telling James and me that it cost him about $40,000 to just do
those preliminary dives to check the feasibility of recovering them. That
was almost 20 years ago and certainly costs go much higher today. Seems like
all this discussion is sounding more like "whiskey talk" than anything
realistic.

Bruce Benson

> The guy who did coordinate a dive of them, Gordon Novel, is >still active
in the DeLorean community and comes to DMCH >from time to time. Th next time
I see him I will ask him for his >recollections of them and why they didn't
raise them then.

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 05:19:39 -0800
From: "Zack Maze" <zack_at_dml_seanbaby.com>
Subject: UPDATE: Hawaii Dealership DMC

hey all,

well, not much of an update.... the REAL update comes when i get
the car. thanks to all that replied to my last post! all the info
helped me tremendously, yet the smooth talking, confusing
dealership owner just made things worse. ill be calling him within
the next couple of days to see if there is anything i can do to
help speed the process along a little.

I posted 5 pics of the car in its current resting place on the DML
under the people's cars section (no, its not my car, but it seemed
like the only appropriate place to put it).

ive also shot an entire 36 shot roll of film on the car, and can
email those nice hi-res shots to anyone interested.

ok, few more things ive forgot to mention.

1. half the engine is gone. maybe more than half.  ...ok, nothing
there is salvagable. maybe the block, but that may be more work
than its worth. i guess the car wasnt parked "running". i thought
the exhaust was there the first time i went to see the car, but
its gone now too.

2. rust has brutally attacked this car, but the frame seems to be
in fairly good condition (from what i can see). there is a big ol
chunk o' surface rust on the frame in the engine bay, but this is
the most noticable. im pretty sure that the only places the car
has really rusted are places where rain water has gotten in and
sat for the last 10 years,which only really seems to be the engine
bay, headlight brackets, and radiator grille (the last 2 are
COMPLETELY vaporized). believe me, Hilo gets ALOT of rain, but i
dont think its done too much to the car.

nothin im not willing to tackle anyway.

theres more, but this is all i feel like addressing at the moment.

-Zack

Get your own evilemail.com address at http://www.evilemail.com

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:49:44 -0500
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: Doors Up Storage/Torsion life

Other than the fact that the bar is under the most stress in the down
position, is there any info from the manufacturer of the bars that the
life expectancy is cut short by closed storage?  This would be an
interesting thing to research.  Since the bars were cryogenically
twisted at minus 200 or so degrees I would assume that any regional
temperature shift would not affect the life of the bars.  Being in Maine
my doors do go up slowly when the temp gets cold but this doesn't change
the summer performance.  Our 0 to -20 degree weather is nothing compared
to what temps the bars saw when they where made.

I'm sure these were designed with the idea that the doors would remain
down more often than they would be up.  Given the age of our cars and
the fact that torsion bar snapping doesn't seem to be a larger issue
brought up on the list, would it be reasonable to assume that we
shouldn't all start storing "doors up"?.   I don't want to start a "me
too" thread but I can't imagine most of you put your cars up for the
winter with the doors up.   Even the deloreans magazine storage info
says to store doors closed.  I would think condensation and other winter
issues would be worse for the car.

I would like to know however if the "carcoon" available from DMC has
enough room in it for a doors up storage?   If I chose to store doors up
in the open, it would mean lot of little critters camping out in the
car!

Also, a question was asked about the availability of torsion bars.  If I
recall, James said they had plenty.  Perhaps this could be restated.

Tom

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:49:52 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: JZD

Kevin wrote

Hey DMLers,

I haven't posted in a while, and I've been pretty out of touch with
the DeLorean world lately.  I have one question, though.  Whatever
happened to JZD after the bankruptcy issue?  Last I remember there
were rumours floating around that he was living somewhere in New
York.  Thanks for indulging my ignorance.

Kevin Rawlings

I think maybe I can answer that one.  John is still living in NJ and is doing
just fine.
He is writing a book called A Delorean Odessey and an exclusive excerpt of
that book will be in the first edition of DeLorean Car Show Magazine.  John
is still active and is looking very well. there will be a few photos also in
the magazine.  He and Sally joined Chris and myself for dinner and he still
has all the charm and witt that we have been accustomed to for all these
years. You can see a live video clip of him in a few weeks on the car show
web page at

DeLoreancarshow.com.

It was taken October 18th of this year.  He looks great and looks forward to
seeing all uf us again soon.

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:11:16 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Dear Dave,

My passenger side torsion bar has also been scratched by contact with
the hinge.  Are you saying that your passenger side torsion bar got
scratched by the hinge, and is still intact, or that your passenger
side torsion bar got scratched by the hinge, and failed?  I'm
interested in knowing more about your torsion bar so I might know the
probable/possible outcome of my own torsion bar.  The idea that this
scrape is sitting there concentrating the stress bothers me a lot.
I've since put cushioning between the torsion bar and hinge, but the
damage is done, of course.

Thank you for your help.

Rick Gendreau
vin11472

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:17:42 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

In my opinion, the dies are most valuable right where they are.  Their resting place on the bottom of the sea just adds to the drama and controversy surrounding the DeLorean.  Someday, I imagine I'll see a re-enactment of the dies being dumped overboard as the ending credits roll in a DeLorean movie.  Each splash would be a poignant moment.  Some DMLers will burst into tears, other would have to leave the theater or risk seeing their popcorn & Pepsi come back up.  What an ending!

If someone chooses to recover them, you might want to do it in a dramatic way.  I would never advocate committing a crime, but my imagination can sure come up with strange things that could happen to them.  What if Margaret Thatcher awoke one morning to find a driver's door die on her lawn?  Now *that* would add a chapter to the saga!  When you went to prison it would give the rest of us a Duesey of a story to talk about on the DML.

But no one is crazy enough to do that, so just leave the dies where they are.  If you are going to dive on them, perhaps you could mark them with a plaque giving their identity, and telling their historical significance for future generations.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:28:21 -0000
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: Torison Bar

Firstly.  If this is a stupid question I applogise.  I dont
currently own a DeLorean but hope to soon.

After reading recent posts about the torsion bar breaking I started
thinking if this could happen while in the car and penetrate the
interior thus hitting the driver/passenger.  As I said this may be a
very stupid question but I dont know how the torsion bar operates or
how it is fitted.

Thanks.

Paul.

ps: on a general note.  What does the term flaming mean when used
about responding to posts.

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:48:46 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hello.

I agree with everybody, James, Marc, Rich, Bruce, and everyone else
who thinks that raising the dies is silly, impractical, and/or
expensive.  I'll be glad to help the enterprising and farseeing
person who decides to do it anyway.  Contact me privately.  I like
silly, impractical and expensive projects.  I guess that's why I own
a Delorean.  I think it's worthwhile both commercially and from a
historical standpoint.  But then again, I make a point of being wrong
from time to time.

Rick Gendreau vin11472

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:19:55 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

If the dies are holding down lobster nets.  Then they should be easy to
find.  Just find the nets.  I'm sure the fisherment know where they are.
 Why couldn't you just pull up the net and attach another anchor to it.  ?

Sound pretty simple, and nothing is ever very simple.

BOB

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:34:01 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Older cars as daily transportation

Mike,

My outgoing email was messed up for  a month.   I responsed to people
but they never got my messages.

I am trying to catch up now.

The full size power windows were installed in my D over 5 years ago.
 They were on display at Cleveland and I had John Delorean actually try
them. He was really impressed.

Bob

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:53:08 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Halloween Fun

Well as you may already know, I made my car a Halloween costume.

The younger kids thought is was neat, and the older kids (+25 Y) recognized
it as the BTTF car.

What amazed me were the comments on how realistic the costume was.  It
really was not a copy of the movie car.

It was great fun.  I now have to figure out how and where to store my cars
Halloween costume.

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031
DML
DMC Forum
RDOLA

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:13:47 EST
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Diving for body dies

I have been reading the numerous posts pertaining to the body dies.  Being an
avid diver I have seen the effects of saltwater on metal as has anyone who
dives regularly.  I have lived on a barrier island on the East Coast and have
had to deal with the effects of not only salt water flooding but salt in the
air on all types of metal on houses and so on.  I see what it does to
automobiles over time that are subject to the elements by simply being near
the ocean and the air.  As interesting as the story of the dies is, and
although I too would be interested in diving on them as someone who enjoys
diving, any hope of them being salvaged is really impractical.  I have seen
what salt water does to normal metal when it is exposed even for a short
time.  I worked around boats for many years and anyone who fishes in the
ocean knows what happens to any metal that isn't stainless as a result of
salt water exposure.  I am sure the dies have turned into rusted metal chunks
by this point.  Even if they were in the sea for only a few months I doubt
they would be able to be refinished.  Even if someone had a new set of dies
as James stated how would they ever be able to produce new panels when the
demand is so low for them and recoup their expense in producing them.  Again
its a great topic for discussion but the only purpose the dies would serve
today in their present condition is as a diving interest (if they are even
recognizable from decay).  The expense to bring them up in their condition
serves no purpose.

Gary

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:06:44 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Cold Start Valve Experiment

Be nice...

In the bad old days, merely replacing a two barrel carb with its 4
barrel relative WOULD yield more HP when the throttle plates were wide
open. Yes, 4 barrel heads are ported differently, but a liveable low
cost alternative was simply to replace the intake manifold and
carburetor. My 400 cu Lincoln has been so converted -- didn't
revolutionize the car, but it does help (original carb was dying
anyway, so why not). Don't start on me about the camshaft: I'll get to
it eventually.

I just wondered if the cold start valve could act like a set of
secondaries. Did you note my full throttle switch isn't being used for
anything else?

Re: increased fuel flow -- have you ever studied a spread bore
carburetor? If that isn't increased fuel flow (on the secondaries), I
don't know what is. In case you don't remember, at the turn of the
decade car companies were dancing to uncle Sam's tune. That's where
spread bore carbs come from. And retarded ignition timing. And lowered
compression. And low lift cams. The list goes on. That's also why
engines were totally revolutionized (at the same time as front wheel
drive) -- you can only dumb down an old style block so far before even
the public doesn't want it anymore.

Re: coil voltage -- I beg to differ again. A stronger spark yields
faster and more complete combustion within the chamber. What do you
think high resistance "performance" plugs are trying to accomplish?
Rather than increasing resistance at the plug, I prefer to increase
the supply. BTW: GM's HEI ignition was designed specifically for this
(remember, at that time everybody else was running 18 - 20 thousand
volts). That's also why Delco plugs were/are among the best available
(pay attention: this is a Ford man talking). Anybody know how many
volts the new coil packs put out?

And of course the biggest question is: if I'm experimenting on my own
car, not yours, what's the problem?

FWIW: I'm still driving the same car I drove in high school. My truck
has 190,000 miles. There are 8 *running* cars in my stable. And to
date the only thing truly broken is poor Bill's bank account.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_y...> wrote:
>

> Wiring your cold start valve to the full throttle switch to increase
power with more gas flow?That is a ridiculous notion,you cant just
pump more gas in and expect more power.You will not get anymore power
with a more powerful coil either.You should stop tinkering with stuff
you dont understand before you break something.

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:15:59 EST
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cold start valve wired to full throttle switch (don't bother)

In a message dated 10/31/02 10:17:34 PM Central Standard Time,
hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> Wiring your cold start valve to the full throttle switch to increase power
> with more gas flow?That is a ridiculous notion,you cant just pump more gas
> in and expect more power.You will not get anymore power with a more
> powerful coil either.You should stop tinkering with stuff you dont
> understand before you break something.

I agree with the Condescending Un named writer above but will disagree with
his final statement. I feel that it is your car Bill to do as you please and
use as a learning tool. Yes, they may be expensive and time consuming lessons
but you paid the money for your car and you should make that choice not
someone else.
Ralph Vin1606

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:20:23 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Torsion Bars on eBay?

Hopefully moderator will let this one through...

All month a seller on eBay has been parting out what appears to have
been a complete car. Won't post ID (is that objection?), but you don't
need to be a rocket scientist to find it. Haven't seen torsion bars
yet -- ask him if he's going to be selling those too.

Dave Swingle told me same thing in David Teitelbaum reply -- a scratch
or nick can magnify into fracture under torque.

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:38:34 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Please HELP my worst nightmare

There are places with torsion bars for sale new.They are the ones left over from the original service center stock,I saw a website the other day but cant remember how much they were.www.delorean.com has the for 386.00 for the right hand side only unfortunately.Seems like alot but would you rather lift the door all the time?

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 15:22:50 -0500
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Steering column rattling

I think I've slightly narrowed down where the rattling from my steering column is coming from.  My steering wheel moves very slightly up and down, almost like some wheel adjustor part is loose.  So when I hit a hard bump, my column is hitting on the top or bottom of something else and is making noise.  My wheel shouldn't move like that, right?  Is there something I can check to make sure it stays locked in place, or to see if something is broken?  If it is, is there any kind of basic replacement?

Any help would be appreciated...I need to solve this very annoying problem.  It causes me to have to place a slight pressure down on the steering wheel all the time while driving in order to avoid the bumping.  Anyone know what's going on?

Thank you much,

Richard

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 21:24:34 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: ATTN: Marc A. Levy (door)

Haven't been following the underwater die posts, but did see your door
for sale mentioned in a reply. Which door? Price?

Apologies for contacting through list (bandwidth), but I read via
Yahoo and they truncate eMail domains.

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 22:49:58 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: UPDATE: Hawaii Dealership DMC

You know, Zack, if you do buy this vehicle, you could very well be
the last person in history to purchase a Delorean from the
dealership.  Might be kinda cool to have that title.

Johnny

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 00:02:43 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Quality of Dies- (Another strain of this virus)

Have you forgotten about the quality of the dies in question?
DeLorean was planning to produce 40,000 cars a year.  Unless the dies
were severly damaged in the water, I feel that they should be in
excelent shape with only minor restoration.  Why would John risk
loosing his company over a cheaply created die set?  Also, if you
think about it, the company spent millions in developement of almost
every system implimented in the car.  Why would he skimp on one of
the most important peices of equipment to make his automobile.

As for every DML'er to jump off a boat and dive just to see these
dies, we need a sophisiticated plan which will alow for mistakes,
both human and equipment, to successfully recover the dies.  If we do
this, we can make our DeLoreans last forever.

Tom Porter
Vin #: (next year)

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 13:30:58 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

I'm with Marc on this one.  My interest is in the historical "value"
of knowing the exact location and the current condition, 20 years
later.  On a side note, I think I'm in good enough shape NOW to do
the dives, if necessary, but no guarantees in another 10 - 20 years.