From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1261
Date: Saturday, November 02, 2002 7:29 PM

1. Re: Torison Bar
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

2. Traveling DeLorean owner
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

3. Long Island, NY DMC Owners
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Steering column rattling
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: Cold start valve wired to full throttle switch (don't bother)
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Torsion Bars on eBay?
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: bricklin question
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

8. Re: Quality of Dies- (Another strain of this virus)
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

9. Gas Tank Removal
From: "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Older cars as daily transportation
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

11. Re: Torison Bar
From: "Adam" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: Re: Re: Cold Start Valve Experiment
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Doors Up Storage/Torsion life
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Seat Belt Retractor's
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

15. Nashville Owners???
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Cold start valve wired to full throttle switch (don't bother)
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

17. torsion rubbing on rear hinge - adjustment
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

18. Re: Older cars as daily transportation
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

19. Re: Torison Bar
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>

20. Re: torsion rubbing on rear hinge - adjustment
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>

21. Re: Doors Up Storage/Torsion life
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

22. Re: Gas Tank Removal
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

23. DMC Ad Slicks
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

24. Re: EFI Delorean
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

25. RE: Re: Gas Tank Removal
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 21:56:33 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: Torison Bar

willinot wrote:

>Firstly.  If this is a stupid question I applogise.  I dont
>currently own a DeLorean but hope to soon.
>
>After reading recent posts about the torsion bar breaking I started
>thinking if this could happen while in the car and penetrate the
>interior thus hitting the driver/passenger.  As I said this may be a
>very stupid question but I dont know how the torsion bar operates or
>how it is fitted.

If you look at the following link,

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=92&PageCat=8%2DFrame+and+Body

you'll see the torsion bar sits at the top of the door long ways. (from
the front windshield to the back windshield). I was too lazy to dig up a
real picture. If they snap, they are going to untwist so I dont think
they are going to go thru the T roofing panel. As far as i'm aware, the
passenger side bar still exists but the driver side one is no longer
available from the various vendors. The ones that are left would have to
be taken out of a current car.

>Thanks.
>
>Paul.
>
>ps: on a general note.  What does the term flaming mean when used
>about responding to posts.

Usually responding in such a way that either your temper or someone
else's temper "goes off" so you end up in a yelling match.

Samuel

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:02:57 -0700
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Traveling DeLorean owner

Hi all,
    Well, I am on the move once again.  Looks like I am going to be up in
Calgary from Sunday to Wednesday.  Are there any owners up there who would
like to get together?  If you feel up to it, drop me an email and I'll get
you my contact information.

Thanks!
Matthew
VIN #16816
VIN #10365--->the restoration has BEGUN

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 22:12:11 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Long Island, NY DMC Owners

Before I ever owned a Delorean I went to a meeting of owners here on Long
Island.  Now I can't seem to find any info on that group.  I would like to
know the best way to get together with other owners here.

Dave 6530

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 04:23:39 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Steering column rattling

Climb underneath the dashboard. Look up at the steering column. You
will see what appears to be a "birdcage" type of outer support for the
column. Carefully examine it for any breaks. You may need someone to
move the steering wheel up and down while you look underneath. This
area of the column is meant to collapse in the event of a head-on
collision but I have seen where it breaks under normal use. It can be
repaired by removing it, disassembling the column, welding the broken
parts of the "birdcage" and reassembling. Make sure the adjusting
hardware for the up-down is correctly installed and tight too. There
is supposed to be a knob on the lower right side of the steering
column to lock the column in place. If the hardware to lock the column
is not installed correctly it will cause a rattling and make the
column hard to lock in place.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., RJRavalli_at_dml_A... wrote:
> I think I've slightly narrowed down where the rattling from my
steering column is coming from.  My steering wheel moves very slightly
up and down, almost like some wheel adjustor part is loose.  So when I
hit a hard bump, my column is hitting on the top or bottom of
something else and is making noise.  My wheel shouldn't move like
that, right?  Is there something I can check to make sure it stays
locked in place, or to see if something is broken?  If it is, is there
any kind of basic replacement?

> Any help would be appreciated...I need to solve this very annoying
problem.  It causes me to have to place a slight pressure down on the
steering wheel all the time while driving in order to avoid the
bumping.  Anyone know what's going on?

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 04:32:54 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Cold start valve wired to full throttle switch (don't bother)

Before you go modifying the fuel system a little research can go a
long way. Get a copy of "Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management" by
Charles O. Probst, SAE. You can get it from Classic Motorbooks. Go to
chapter 7 section 8.1. It tells you exactly what you can expect from
trying this. BTW there are other tips and tricks in that chapter some
of which will work a whole lot better.

Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 23:37:16 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Torsion Bars on eBay?

Hello List

As far as a torsion bar is concerned, I would suggest contacting the major
parts suppliers to see if they could get a used one off a parts car.  Most of
the suppliers have a few parts cars that could be a source for these bars,
for a price of course.  The rules of supply and demand always apply.

Living the dream over 4 years now,
Andrew

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 05:14:14 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: bricklin question

> > park
> > > next to it for comparison and photos.  I picked up an early low
> > > mileage AMC powered car for about $4,000 and can safely say that
> > was
> > > the worst car I have ever owned.  It drove like a combination
kit
> > car
> > > and Javelin, and left me stranded at a bank drive-thru window.
> > > owned it for a seemingly endless 2.5 months.  Since I have made
it
> > > point to have never lost money on a collector car, I was
determined
> > > that this lemon was not going to break my record.  I ended up
> > selling
> > > it for less than $1.00 above my total investment, and it was the
> > best
> > > profit I ever made.

> > with
> > > how off-base I am.  This was my experience with one particular
> > car.
> > > Your experience may vary.

> > park
> > > next to it for comparison and photos.  I picked up an early low
> > > mileage AMC powered car for about $4,000 and can safely say that
> > was
> > > the worst car I have ever owned.  It drove like a combination
kit
> > car
> > > and Javelin, and left me stranded at a bank drive-thru window.
> > > owned it for a seemingly endless 2.5 months.  Since I have made
it
> > > point to have never lost money on a collector car, I was
determined
> > > that this lemon was not going to break my record.  I ended up
> > selling
> > > it for less than $1.00 above my total investment, and it was the
> > best
> > > profit I ever made.

> > with
> > > how off-base I am.  This was my experience with one particular
> > car.
> > > Your experience may vary.

---This is my experience with two Bricklins,and a quite a Few
Deloreans----past and present--

 As a Bricklin owner since 1980,and most likely,THE first person to
 do
 a Gound up,strip down to the last bolt, (frame off) restoration on a
Delorean(in 1982),I think I
 have
 enough creditionals,to say that no matter how BAD of a shape a
 Bricklin is,it is FAR easier and Less costly(and parts are easier
 find,(Ford or AMC parts)than a Delorean,I bought a 1975 Bricklin
with a VERY rusted frame,non-
 working doors,20lbs of newspapers in the hatch area,as a water
 catcher,Brakes that took TWO feet just to try to slow down,Flapping
 door skins,all the panels looked as if spiderman attacked them
 (spiderweb like cracks everywhere),Shot interior(as if a dog chewed
it up),yet this car ran
 perfect (vin#1136),the frame was repaired,without having to remove
 the body(by a professional,licensed welder),water leaks repaired,the
Hydo-doors,were a easy fix(replaced with a  hydro-pump from ebay,
 from a mustang),the body panels were another easy fix
 (resin/fiberglass/Gel-coat techniques(by me),ect,ect.Total cost,well
under $1500.00,Compare that to a
 Delorean,British wiring(a nightmare)Frames turn to junk,if driven
 as my
 (Vin 1136 bricklin)(see below) was,Gremlins in EVERY area of a
Delorean,a fire
 hazard looking for a place to happen,Expensive body panels to buy
new/repair them,VERY hard to find parts locally,or expensive,or not
to many interchangeable parts,ect,ect
(Vin#1136 Bricklin)was a everyday car
 since
 birth as a(24/7/365 days per year)car(and ALWAYS parked
 outside)in the harsh Connecticut summers and Winters)(this was done
before my ownership)
If a Delorean
 was treated as the above Bricklin,chances are,it would not have
 survived,I also own Bricklin Vin# 1024 since 1980,
http://bricklin.org/images/Members/CLandi_1024.JPG   and TOTAL repair
 expenses on that car SINCE 1980 till 2002(not including normal
maintenance),has BEEN under $500.00,yes $500.00(and is still showcar
beautiful)
 NOT $12,000.00(as a previous poster),compare that to ANY DELOREAN
 EVER MADE--ANY-- MY POINT-any car that is well taken care of garaged
correct/or the owner knows how to do the CORRECT
maintenance/repairs/can locate parts at Reasonal prices,can keep any
car in tiptop, showroom/showcar/reliable condition.  My Experience
with both B's and D's
P.S.
A Bricklin set up correct WILL handle just as good as a Delorean,and
vise versa.And a Delorean and Bricklin Together will ATTRACT more
attention than a Ferrari.
Both cars are equal to each other!! IF taken care of.

 Claude
 000570  plus three other Deloreans
 and two Bricklins

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 05:21:59 -0000
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Quality of Dies- (Another strain of this virus)

   Not to sound silly here but James Espey has made it pretty clear
that were in no danger of body panels being hard to find any time
soon. Not to rant or insult anyone its just over board to think that
someone would fork over the kind of cash it would take to bring them
up. It's sooooo much cheaper to build a whole new die set just ask
anyone who has seen a temporary stamp set used for prototyping....
they start _at_dml_ 20 -80k a piece "per part" and there only used maybe
twenty times max. Now for a permanent set think in the over two
million a piece range for something that can take 40k in cars a
year "I am thinking in terms of the Audi A8 dies that are used to
stamp aluminum here." So were talking 20 million if we go all out
here right? That's allot cheaper than a massive salvage/restoration
projectů just look at the small piece of the titanic that was raised
a year ago. I took over two years and ran well over two million I bet
and it would be considered light compared to any die for a car. Then
assuming that stuff was usable in any capacity other than sitting in
some museum warehouse your looking as some major cash to restore
them. At the end of the day there's just no needů Unless someone
wants to make a 21-year-old car design again at 2002 prices doing
lord knows what to the value of our cars.  In short that's just let
this whole thread die and rest in piece and think about someone
making a nice electric fuel injection kit for our cars for under
$2,000. :)

Matthew Stits
Vin 0789

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 06:57:24 -0000
From: "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Gas Tank Removal

I'm trying to tank my gas tank out to inspect the frame from brake
fuid damage.

The manual makes it seam so easy, just slip the tank out
between the water pipes. The tank doesn't want to move at all.

Any tips?

Patrick
schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 02:10:35 -0500
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Older cars as daily transportation

do you have any pictures of these windows.  They must have set you back alot
of time and money.

foxmul
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 09:28:43 -0000
From: "Adam" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Actually this has crosed my mind as well. If the bar sudenly came
loose or broke while closing the door or something, it could possibly
flip out and hit you. I dont think it could make it through he
ceiling of the car to hit the driver though.

Also, when you flame someone or someone's post to the board, it means
you are atacking them or their idea/comment/opinion, etc.

Adam

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 02:48:09 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Cold Start Valve Experiment

I apoligize Bill I was probably in a bad mood when I wrote that.Sorry I just dont think those things will significantly increase power.You are better off replacing the engine with something else if you want alot higher horsepower.Yes it is your car so by all means go ahead and do whatever you want.In my opinion however I think that no higher power is needed and that Cruising along at a steady speed is what this car is made for.

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 02:58:32 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Doors Up Storage/Torsion life

Yes the temperature changes in normal weather are enough to affect the life of these bars.Simply because they were once cryogenically frozen doesnt exempt them from the normal contracting and expanding with summer heat and winter cold.Ever notice that fighter jets are stored with the canopy open most of the time?

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 06:22:03 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Seat Belt Retractor's

My passenger side seat belt retractor quit retracting.   I have not seen a
post on that problem.  It quit a year or so ago.  I can poke the belt back
in the slot easily but it will not latch up, nor retract by itself.  It
appears they hung the retractor up and built the car around it.  Can anyone
give me instructions on how to fix or replace it?

Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 16:20:05 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Nashville Owners???

Hi,
i've been "stuck" in Nashville for the past 6 days and just now got
to a PC where I could email this group.  Are there any Delorean
owners in the downtown area of nashville?  or near the international
airport?  I'm staying near there.
My 3 day stay has turned into a week stay.  I'll be able to check my
email later on today.  Hopefully i'll be going home tomorrow...but
you never know.

Thanks

Erik

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 11:04:33 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Bill has some very valid points.

Dyno testing of a number of Deloreans showed that the ignition system is
not reliable above 5,000 rpm.  Clearly, if it starts to misfire at this
rpm, it could use some improvement below this range.

DMCH upgrades the ignition on their 200 HP engine because of this fact.

Second,  Dyno testing of turbo and supercharged cars also showed fuel
starvation problems again at higher rpm and engine load.

Many turbo cars, attempt to compensate for this by grounding out the O2
sensor to go to a richer mixture.  OThers have used other tricks.

Wiring in the cold start valve may add too much fuel.

However, there is also a D owner who converted to EFI with larger
injectors and got more HP.

Bill start with the Ignition First.  You really want to insure you burn
up that extra fuel and don't dilute the oil.

BOB

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 17:03:03 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: torsion rubbing on rear hinge - adjustment

I felt this was a different enough question to warrent a new thread;

Okay, all this talk about Torsion bars breaking - I can now hear this
horrible snapping sound that i would imagine a breaking t-bar to
sound like everynight in my dreams.

So I looked at mine, while looking mine snapped and the door came
crashing down and broke my spine. I now speak to you... FROM BEYOND
THE GRAVE!!
Halloween humor... sorry

So I looked at mine... and it's very very close to the rear hinge. I
can't even slip a piece of paper through - let alone a piece of
rubber innertube. The torsion looks to be undamaged. Is there a way
to adjust this, move the hinge or t-bar somehow?

Doesn't it make you all just want to have some extra torsion bars? If
only we all could.
I'll be keeping my eye out for one... and if i find one... I'll sell
it to the poor soul whose t-bar did break. BUT if i find two... I'm
hording an extra and likely sleeping with it under my pillow.

Thanks you all!

-James LaLonde 001697

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 11:53:30 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

They cost about $2,500 per door.   However,  I can not express in words
how much they change the character and fun of driving the car.

I drive with the windows down most of the time (expect expressways) .
You can wave to people and its like a convertible. The air flow is great.

You don't feel claustrophobic.

I have the parts to convert my stock D.  Just not the time.

There were some pictures in DW.

I could take some digitable ones.  I have ones now.

I also made a movie about the upgrades I made to my car. I sold a number
of copies years ago at cost. IT shows actual movies of the windows.

BOB

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:09:35 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>

As It was my torsion bar that snapped earlier in the week, I can definitely
say there is not marks or scratches or in fact any evidence of damage to
anywhere else, except my wallet  :-)

>Firstly. If this is a stupid question I applogise. I dont

>currently own a DeLorean but hope to soon.

>After reading recent posts about the torsion bar breaking I started

>thinking if this could happen while in the car and penetrate the

>interior thus hitting the driver/passenger. As I said this may be a

>very stupid question but I dont know how the torsion bar operates or

>how it is fitted.

If you look at the following link,

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir
asp?PageID=92&PageCat=8%2DFrame+and+Body

you'll see the torsion bar sits at the top of the door long ways. (from

the front windshield to the back windshield). I was too lazy to dig up a

real picture. If they snap, they are going to untwist so I dont think

they are going to go thru the T roofing panel. As far as i'm aware, the

passenger side bar still exists but the driver side one is no longer

available from the various vendors. The ones that are left would have to

be taken out of a current car.

>Thanks.

>Paul.

>ps: on a general note. What does the term flaming mean when used

>about responding to posts.

Usually responding in such a way that either your temper or someone

else's temper "goes off" so you end up in a yelling match.

Samuel

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo
com/group/dmcnews

.

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:17:29 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: torsion rubbing on rear hinge - adjustment

James

As I am that poor soul, do not fret, I have had 4 offers of torsion bars so
far with a price range you would not believe. Still I know that I will have
a new bar within the next two weeks.

All I can say I a very BIG thanks to all that have helped in my 'quest for
the Bar' and if you need somthing for these cars someone has always got it.

Some what happier than yesterday.

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 18:22:42 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

I'm not a military person, but I would imagine that the reason the canopy on
fighter planes are left up all the time would have more to do with easier
ingress in an emergency situation, rather than the life of the bars. The same
way that fire trucks are parked in their garage spaces with their doors left
open all the time.

Besides that, I believe a past post here on the list stated that parking with the
doors open would do more damage to the door seal pushing against the T
panel, than any benefits that the torsion bar, or the gas struts may recieve.

Besides that, if a torsion bar is unavailable for the application, perhaps a
torsion spring could possibly replace it. Matter of fact, I'd bet on it!

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 19:52:43 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Removal

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> I'm trying to tank my gas tank out to inspect the frame from brake
> fuid damage.
>
> The manual makes it seam so easy, just slip the tank out
> between the water pipes. The tank doesn't want to move at all.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Patrick
> schab932000_at_dml_y...

Patrick,

It's kinda like trying to remove the Distributor cap on a
Delorean,you just have to keep trying till you get it off,it's like a
cork on a wine bottle,just keep pushing down,from the luggage
area,till it pops off/out like a cork.You did remove all the gas
Right?? That will make it lightweight,and easy to push out,since it
only weights about 5 lbs or less empty.

Claude

Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 13:35:56 -0700
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: DMC Ad Slicks

Hi,

A couple of years ago I bought a collection of original "ad slicks" for the
DeLorean. These were the camera ready sheets that a dealer could send to a
local newspaper for putting an advertisement in the paper about the car. I
have 13 sheets labeled as follows:

Repro Art Sheet 81-A     Repro Art Sheet 81-B
Repro Art Sheet 81-C     Repro Art Sheet 81-D

Dealer Ad No. 81-1   Dealer Ad No. 81-1A   Dealer Ad No. 81-1B
Dealer Ad No. 81-2   Dealer Ad No. 81-2A   Dealer Ad No. 81-2B
Dealer Ad No. 81-3   Dealer Ad No. 81-3A   Dealer Ad No. 81-3B

You can see scans of them on this web page:
http://www.midstatedmc.com/gallery/scans/ads/index.html

I'm wondering if there were anymore, and if anyone has information on them.

Thanks!

Mark Noeltner

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 19:08:12 EST
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: EFI Delorean

Sounds like you're looking for me.....
I've got an SDS EM3E hall triggered ECU with custom intake and fuel rails.
My first EFI conversion was featured on the SDSEFI.com site last year
sometime.
Be glad to share everything I know.
Jim 6147

In a message dated 10/31/02 9:13:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com writes:

<< anyone remember the guy who put an efi sustem in a delorean.  i remember
 that they didnt change the manifold cause they found injectors that fit
 right in the holes.  any one have the site?

 Darkstar

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 19:05:51 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Gas Tank Removal

I had to stand on my tank to get it out.  Make sure that you disconnect all
of the hoses.

Once it starts moving, watch out so that you do not end up riding the tank
to the ground.

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031