From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1262
Date: Monday, November 04, 2002 5:49 AM

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

There are 18 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: torsion rubbing on rear hinge - adjustment
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Experimenting with a limited production automobile that gets rarer every day
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

3. Bricklin question for Claude
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

4. Re: DMC Ad Slicks
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

5. take my wife please
From: TOM RIMKUS <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Long Island, NY DMC Owners
From: "sacredlettuce2000" <sacredlettuce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. RE: Value of the dies
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

8. Re: Bricklin question for Claude
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

9. Re: Steering column rattling
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

10. refabricate tosion bars
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>

11. Re: refabricate tosion bars
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

12. Re: refabricate tosion bars
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

13. Wiring/ Connector Diagram
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: refabricate tosion bars
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

15. Re: take my wife please
From: TOM RIMKUS <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Torsion bar replacement
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: take my wife please
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: take my wife please
From: TOM RIMKUS <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>





Message: 1
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 05:02:22 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: torsion rubbing on rear hinge - adjustment

You should be able to move the bar away from the hinge just by putting 
your fingers around the bar just ahead of the rear hinge and pulling 
it away from the hinge as you slip the rubber strip in. Remove any 
rings on your fingers as you don't want to take any chances scratching 
the torsion bar.
 If every owner was to try to hoard a torsion bar no one would have 
any. Trust the Delorean venders to come up with a replacement. Where 
would they be if they had cars to fix but had no parts? Their very 
survival depends on a reliable source of parts for their service biz 
and their parts ordering biz. When ANY part is in short supply the 
price goes up until it becomes economical to recreate it. Look at what 
happened with the keys, struts, radiaters and too many other parts to 
make a list here. BTW there is very little danger when the torsion bar 
breaks as both ends are captured so after it breaks the pieces are 
kept from flying out. It sounds a lot worse then it is. If the door is 
closed when the bar breaks it can't get out of the cavity. This does 
also mean that when adjusting a torsion bar any spectators should be 
kept a safe distance away and you should not allow anyone to stand in 
the area alongside the car as you are doing the adjustment.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> I felt this was a different enough question to warrent a new thread;
> 
> Okay, all this talk about Torsion bars breaking - I can now hear 
this 
> horrible snapping sound that i would imagine a breaking t-bar to 
> sound like everynight in my dreams.
> 
> So I looked at mine, while looking mine snapped and the door came 
> crashing down and broke my spine. I now speak to you... FROM BEYOND 
> THE GRAVE!!
> Halloween humor... sorry
> 
> So I looked at mine... and it's very very close to the rear hinge. I 
> can't even slip a piece of paper through - let alone a piece of 
> rubber innertube. The torsion looks to be undamaged. Is there a way 
> to adjust this, move the hinge or t-bar somehow?
> 
> Doesn't it make you all just want to have some extra torsion bars? 
If 
> only we all could.
> I'll be keeping my eye out for one... and if i find one... I'll sell 
> it to the poor soul whose t-bar did break. BUT if i find two... I'm 
> hording an extra and likely sleeping with it under my pillow.
> 
> Thanks you all!
> 
> -James LaLonde 001697




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 2
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 05:51:16 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Experimenting with a limited production automobile that gets rarer every day

Gee whiz -- didn't mean to open Pandora's box...

The "great experiment" was really just fluke curiosity. One day I
looked at the loose ends of my full throttle switch, the cold start
valve waiting nearby, and thought "Hmm, for the price of a couple of
splices and a few inches of wire..." Have flooded my poor engine
enough times with the thing at idle (am still curious: do stock cold
start valves put out as much fuel as mine? No joke -- two seconds max.
Jumping with the warm up regulator really wasn't an option around my
hot start problem), to know that nothing was going to be damaged. I
just wondered what effect it would have when the engine was sucking
more air.

I only mentioned on the list in case other inquiring minds worked
alike. Apparently they don't.

If I can't find anything else to activate with the switch, will just
remove to avoid future temptation ('cause it might be possible to wire
the A/C clutch into a normally closed relay triggered by the thing...)

Bill Robertson
#5939







________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 3
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 06:01:40 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Bricklin question for Claude

Simple question: how does outward visibility compare to a DeLorean,
especially over the shoulder? (high belt line and the cargo area
window seems rather small).
Bill Robertson
#5939





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 4
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 06:57:01 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: DMC Ad Slicks

I think that there may be more that just the 13 sheets there. A while back I 
posted shots taken of an actual DMC ad published by the local dealer in the 
newspaper. You can see pics of it here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/newpapers.html

It is possible that there may be more pages, because the ad here uses a 
different justification for the sentances, and uses the unique font for the word 
"De Lorean". Although they could have simply xeroxed a page from some 
other documentation. In any case, it makes for a good example of what a 
dealer ad actually looked like.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"



--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> A couple of years ago I bought a collection of original "ad slicks" for the
> DeLorean. These were the camera ready sheets that a dealer could send to 
a
> local newspaper for putting an advertisement in the paper about the car. I
> have 13 sheets labeled as follows:
<SNIP>
> I'm wondering if there were anymore, and if anyone has information on 
them.
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Mark Noeltner
> VIN 6820




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 5
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 23:16:46 -0800 (PST)
From: TOM RIMKUS <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: take my wife please

I have an '82 with 5 speed, excellent interior, body
and has 49xxx miles.  It's a beauty, but I have no   
garage and have no time to "tinker".  I've had it for
about 3 months.  This car ran great up until about two
weeks ago but now won't start.  Against my wishes, I
NEED to sell this car. I am heartbroken.
I will entertain any offer over $10, 000.  If you have
questions or want to see pictures, let me know. 
Please give her a good home.

Regards,
Tom




__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 6
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 08:35:48 -0000
From: "sacredlettuce2000" <sacredlettuce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Long Island, NY DMC Owners

I would like some information on this group too.  I am about to 
become the owner of a project dmc!  
Anyone out there from Long Island?
-Sorrel
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., doctorDHD_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Before I ever owned a Delorean I went to a meeting of owners here 
on Long 
> Island.  Now I can't seem to find any info on that group.  I would 
like to 
> know the best way to get together with other owners here.
> 
> Dave 6530
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 7
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:58:12 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Value of the dies

Speaking of movies, maybe someone at the History or Discovery channel would be interested in doing a program on the topic of the dies?  They have the pockets to produce some nice video footage of their current state.

Anyone have any connections? :)

Bringing them up, and/or using them again is not a realistic goal.



-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Substelny [mailto:msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 9:18 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DML] Value of the dies


In my opinion, the dies are most valuable right where they are.  Their resting place on the bottom of the sea just adds to the drama and controversy surrounding the DeLorean.  Someday, I imagine I'll see a re-enactment of the dies being dumped overboard as the ending credits roll in a DeLorean movie.  Each splash would be a poignant moment.  Some DMLers will burst into tears, other would have to leave the theater or risk seeing their popcorn & Pepsi come back up.  What an ending!



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 8
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 18:07:29 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Bricklin question for Claude

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> Simple question: how does outward visibility compare to a DeLorean,
> especially over the shoulder? (high belt line and the cargo area
> window seems rather small).
> Bill Robertson
> #5939

Acually it is not to bad,looking out the windshield,the only thing 
that would/should have been improved,is the windshield pillars,are a 
little big and obscure the side vision somewhat,rear view is actually 
better than a Delorean,side view is in par with a Delorean,but with 
the door(s)open it is easier to back up than a Delorean,Deloreans 
exterior mirrors are superior,compaired to the Bricklin's Exterior 
Mirrors.Forward driving are about the same,except that the Bricklin 
has a sloping nose,and until you get used to where the nose ends,you 
do not want to get close to the car in front of you.

Claude
00570   




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 9
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:42:20 EST
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Steering column rattling

Richard,

    You are correct, the steering column should not move around when the 
adjustment knob is tightened down. What I have seen a few times is under the 
dash, where the knob and bolt go thru the sliders, there are a couple of 
small rectangular type flat washers with tabs on them that run up and down 
inside the slots in the sliders. If someone has loosened the adjustment knob 
too far, these flat washers can slip out of place and the tabs can turn 
sideways. If this happens, when you tighten the knob back up the washers and 
tabs do not put the correct pressure on the steering column and sliders and 
the steering assembly will be loose and move around, just like yours is 
doing. Climb under the dash and take a look to see if these parts are out of 
place. If so, just realign and everything should work correctly again.

  Marty


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 10
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:59:13 -0500
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>
Subject: refabricate tosion bars

It seems to me that the scarcity of these bars is incredible, especially the drivers side.  I also understand that there is a  special cryogenic process to go through to make these things.  Even so, I cannot think of  a more important item to remanufacture.  With one going out, safety becomes a big issue for just getting in and out of the car.  Will DMCH or PJ Grady be able to help us on this?  Are there companies out there that make torsion bars?  How will we overcome this problem in the next few years?  It saddens me to think that other cars will be sacrificed and not restored all because of one bar.

-Mike A.
VIN#  still working on that.....


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 11
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 16:06:21 -0500
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: refabricate tosion bars


Again, we covered the remanufacture of torsion bars *at length* about a year
ago.  There was much detail and research put into this topic in previous
posts.  If you are new to the list, and interested in this particular topic,
please search the archives for lots of info. If you search for "cryogenic",
you should get lots of good results.

-Hank








________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 12
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 17:14:42 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: Re: refabricate tosion bars

houston is making the drivers side bars but they need 12 people to pre-purchase them to get a new batch of drivers side torsion bars made. i read they will be the same price as the passenger side ones that are now for $386.25.

mark

Mike Aninger wrote:

> It seems to me that the scarcity of these bars is incredible, especially the drivers side.  I also understand that there is a  special cryogenic process to go through to make these things.  Even so, I cannot think of  a more important item to remanufacture.  With one going out, safety becomes a big issue for just getting in and out of the car.  Will DMCH or PJ Grady be able to help us on this?  Are there companies out there that make torsion bars?  How will we overcome this problem in the next few years?  It saddens me to think that other cars will be sacrificed and not restored all because of one bar.
>
> -Mike A.
> VIN#  still working on that.....
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
> To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 13
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:05:30 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Wiring/ Connector Diagram

Does anyone have information or wiring key to the connectors that go into the 
engine compartment near the ignition coil?

Thank you,
Dave
6530


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 14
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 20:37:45 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: refabricate tosion bars

How large of a batch are they going to have made? I dont currently own a 
Delorean, but plan on it next year. At that time, I would be the type to 
order such an item "just incase" but no need to order it until I have a D.

Samuel.

id wrote:

>houston is making the drivers side bars but they need 12 people to pre-purchase them to get a new batch of drivers side torsion bars made. i read they will be the same price as the passenger side ones that are now for $386.25.
>
>mark
>
>Mike Aninger wrote:
>
>  
>
>>It seems to me that the scarcity of these bars is incredible, especially the drivers side.  I also understand that there is a  special cryogenic process to go through to make these things.  Even so, I cannot think of  a more important item to remanufacture.  With one going out, safety becomes a big issue for just getting in and out of the car.  Will DMCH or PJ Grady be able to help us on this?  Are there companies out there that make torsion bars?  How will we overcome this problem in the next few years?  It saddens me to think that other cars will be sacrificed and not restored all because of one bar.
>>
>>-Mike A.
>>VIN#  still working on that.....
>>
>>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
>>moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>>
>>To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>>
>>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>>    
>>
>
>
>
>To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
>moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
>To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
>
>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 
>
>
>
>
>
>  
>




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 15
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 18:20:36 -0800 (PST)
From: TOM RIMKUS <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: take my wife please

duh...sorry.

NW FLORIDA (between Pensacola and Panama City)




--- David Swingle <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com> wrote:
> Would be more effective if you indicated WHERE the
> car is located. 
> 
> Also - post an ad at www.dmcnews.com
> 
> 
> Dave
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "TOM RIMKUS" <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
> To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 1:16 AM
> Subject: take my wife please
> 
> 
> I have an '82 with 5 speed, excellent interior, body
> and has 49xxx miles.  It's a beauty, but I have no  
> 
> garage and have no time to "tinker".  I've had it
> for
> about 3 months.  This car ran great up until about
> two
> weeks ago but now won't start.  Against my wishes, I
> NEED to sell this car. I am heartbroken.
> I will entertain any offer over $10, 000.  If you
> have
> questions or want to see pictures, let me know. 
> Please give her a good home.
> 
> Regards,
> Tom
> 
> 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
> http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
> 
> 


__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 16
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 18:38:16 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Torsion bar replacement


I am intrested to know if anyone out there has replaced the torsion bars on their dmc with  an alternate opening device.Something like pneumatic pistons or a torsion spring as someone else mentioned.I like the torsion bars but it is a possibilty that within my life time they will become nearly impossible to acquire or not affordable. So alternate methods would be great.
 



---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 17
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 18:43:45 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: take my wife please


 
You should probably not have bought a DeLorean if you didnt intend to tinker alot.That is just part of owning one, people who like working on cars will fair better with a DeLorean than a "drive till it dies" person.Please sell the poor thing to someone else quickly.



---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 18
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 19:36:19 -0800 (PST)
From: TOM RIMKUS <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: take my wife please

Yeah, I figured that out..  Would you sell it at a
loss or what?  I paid 11,700 for it..


--- john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
> 
>  
> You should probably not have bought a DeLorean if
> you didnt intend to tinker alot.That is just part of
> owning one, people who like working on cars will
> fair better with a DeLorean than a "drive till it
> dies" person.Please sell the poor thing to someone
> else quickly.
> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
> HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been
> removed]
> 
> 
> 
> To address comments privately to the moderating
> team, please address:
> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
> 
> To search the archives or view files, log in at
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
> 
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 
> 
> 


__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________



Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/