From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1263
Date: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 5:49 AM

From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. steering column rattle
From: "jsjb100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Fix it!
From: Paul Salsbury <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. Re: Please HELP my worst nightmare
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

11. "Monster Garage"
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

12. Re: Houston area DML'ers take note...
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

13. Re: Wiring/ Connector Diagram
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

14. "Wreckless" Delorean
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

15. Re: refabricate tosion bars
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

16. Newspaper Articles on the Delorean Estate Sale, etc..
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

17. RE: Re: Houston area DML'ers take note...
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

18. Re: monster garage
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

19. Re: Fix it!
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

20. Ken's Delorean Car Show Magazine
From: "Aaron Crocco" <slider_ten_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. painting louver??
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

22. delorean signs
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

23. Parts list for replacement/sustitution
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Re: monster garage
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

25. Re: Parts list for replacement/sustitution
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 06:54:30 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Long Island, NY DMC Owners

Goto www.deloreanmidatlantic.com for information on the local Delorean
group for NY and surrounding states.

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 12:46:10 -0000
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: SS Louvers

Dennis,

The black and white photo that you saw in the Delorean World Mag is
my car.  The photo was published when the car belonged to the former
owner.

I am still reading the back issues of DML, back in July 1998 there
was discussion on a company that produced SS louvers, McCune
Technology Inc., Fayetteville NC.

The SS appears to be put on with adhesive and wraps under the rear
edge of the slat.  There are a couple of pictures of the Fall Foliage
Tour that show the rear of my car but the louvers are not very
visible.  I will try to get some closeup photos of my louvers into
the photo album soon.

Brent Lundgren

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:06:11 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: refabricate torsion bars

If you don't mind me saying, this is getting a little silly!

People who do not even own a DeLorean are worried about availability of parts?!

*IF* the time ever comes that you need one of these "rare" parts, you will be able to find one.  There are more left fenders available now than 10 years ago!  Parts are found, people who have been "hoarding" realize that if they artificially keep the price up someone will come along and find/make a replacement, and cars that cannot be restored are parted out.

There are plenty of hard to find parts on the DeLorean, why obsess on the torsion bar??  Don't worry about it until you need the part.

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:42:41 -0500
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: How to remove Deer Dings in the SS?

During a move to a new home this past weekend I hit a deer.  My baby now
has her fest few dings.  I am very lucky that the swerve at the last
second only resulted to a few minor dings (about the size of a quarter-
or deer kick) in the front fender, passenger door, and rear quarter
panel.  In addition the drivers side mirror was completely ripped off.
Since the damage is quite minimal, is it possible to take the car to a
national outlet like "Dent Wizards", or does the SS require a Pro to
remove small dings?  Also does anyone have a Drivers Side mirror they
wish to sell?  If not I will contact one of D support centers.

Thanks-
Jason Perkins
Charlotte, NC.

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:09:54 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Torsion bar replacement

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> I am intrested to know if anyone out there has replaced the torsion
bars on their dmc with  an alternate opening device.Something like
pneumatic pistons or a torsion spring as someone else mentioned.I
like the torsion bars but it is a possibilty that within my life time
they will become nearly impossible to acquire or not affordable. So
alternate methods would be great.

Rick Gendreau writes:

Hi John.

I too, have been worried about torsion bars for my DeLorean.  Being
the kind of guy who compulsively solves problems whether I want to or
not, I've designed two different replacements for the torsion bars.
They may both be better than the original design, in my somewhat
biased opinion, though the failure rate of the current torsion bars
doesn't seem to be that bad at all, all things considered.  I've only
heard of one so far that broke without evidence of stress
concentration at a hinge scrape.  If torsion bars end up scarce, I'll
come out of the closet with the replacements.  Until then, I'll keep
a lid on them, as the ideas have some dollar value.  If it is indeed
possible (I'm skeptical) that a vendor can offer original-equipment-
equivalent replacement torsion bars at their current cost, I won't
bother releasing the new designs.  No matter how it's done, replacing
the torsion bars with a new design or batch should be expected to end
up being expensive, as anyone offering an alternative to will
probably need to justify the liability exposure by jacking up the
price.  I hope I'm wrong.  Anyway, you needn't worry, alternate
solutions have already been achieved.  Your doors will always be able
to open, at a price, whether someone else provides the solution, or I
do it.

Rick Gendreau 11472

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 15:04:37 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: refabricate tosion bars

I read James Espey's post that the torsion bars can be fabricated. In
the event that the torsion bars cannot be repreduced I think I could
come up with some kind of torsion spring like is used on large
overhead roll-up doors. The Delorean venders cannot let the scarcity
of a critical part cause use to not be able to use the cars. It would
cause them to go out of biz. Who would spend any money on a Delorean
if you can't open the doors? There would be no service biz or resale
market for us (private owners) or them (Delorean venders). I don't
think it is time to panic as the situation must have been much worse
when DMC went bankrupt and no one knew if ANYONE was going to be able
to service the cars at all! There is a large enough market that it
will pay to keep a pipeline of parts going on into the future. In the
case of the Delorean we are very fortunate in that many of the parts
of the car are not Delorean specific and can be aquired from alternate
sources. This makes it certain that there will be many parts available
at a fair price for a long time. This is not uncommon with old cars.
In many cases either venders come foward to repreduce parts or find
parts that can be adapted to use. The latest example is is the new and
improved door handle from DMC Houston. It is better then the
origional. The Zilla product line was created by a very dedicated
owner when he saw the problems with the origional equipment. There is
a lot of creativity among owners of old cars and they will do what it
takes to keep them going. Some of the Deloran venders are also among
the most dedicated of all of us, they have bet their livelyhoods on
us!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_n...> wrote:
> It seems to me that the scarcity of these bars is incredible,
especially the drivers side.  I also understand that there is a
special cryogenic process to go through to make these things.  Even
so, I cannot think of  a more important item to remanufacture.  With
one going out, safety becomes a big issue for just getting in and out
of the car.  Will DMCH or PJ Grady be able to help us on this?  Are
there companies out there that make torsion bars?  How will we
overcome this problem in the next few years?  It saddens me to think
that other cars will be sacrificed and not restored all because of one
bar.

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:17:09 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: New Orleans

Hi
I will be in New Orleans onTuesday and Wedensday this week if anyone wants to
get together in the evening
e-mail  me privately

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:33:56 -0000
From: "jsjb100" <jsjb100_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: steering column rattle

Hi Folks

I had the same problem that Richard described....steering column
rattle and some minor movement. It was the bushing at the end of the
column that needed replacing....one has to pull the steering column
to do this. I got it done at PJ Grady's and voila, the rattling went
away. I was cautioned however that waiting too long can result in a
widening of the hole in the firewall, so you might want to get it
fixed if this is the problem.

Joe B

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:58:29 +0000 (GMT)
From: Paul Salsbury <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Fix it!

If you are interested, as I'm sure you may be. I have
put pictures of my recently broken Torsion bar on my
site.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.salsbury/

Whilst its of the road I've take the time to start
some of my winter jobs.

I've started by changing my TAB's drivers side done
last night, again picture on my site, you can just see
the bend in it.

Regards

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 18:05:18 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Please HELP my worst nightmare

Rick and List - I thought that I would briefly address the "scratched
torsion bar" issue ... if the scratch is not too deep, it can be
blended out, reducing the chance of the scratch initiating a crack.
Take the bar out, and clean it thoroughly with degreaser or mild
solvent.  Obtain a fine rounded metal file, and gently file the area
until you eliminate the scratch, using a 20:1 blend ratio.  What this
means is that, if you have a scratch that is .020" deep, you would
blend out an area approximately .40 wide, tapering from the edges to
the "bottom" of the scratch.  The blend should be equal on both sides
of the scratch.  Try to make the filing as smooth as possible.  When
the scratch is no longer evident, use fine emery cloth or sand paper
(use nothing with iron or iron oxide!) to sand the blend as smooth as
you can get it.  This procedure should minimize the stress riser in
the area of the scratch, and give you a better chance of not
experiencing fatigue failure of the bar due to a crack initiation at
the scratch.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> My passenger side torsion bar has also been scratched by contact
with the hinge.

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 20:09:18 -0000
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: "Monster Garage"

Over the weekend I saw an episode of "Monster Garage" where a hearse
was being turned into a car crusher.  I think it was on the Learning
Channel.  On the design team was George Barris, the famous car
customizer.  When he was introduced, they showed some of his
creations including the DeLorean time machine from "Back to the
Future".  For those of you who missed it, the episodes are usually
run several times.  Check your local listings.

Brent Lundgren

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 22:59:20 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Houston area DML'ers take note...

Well, how did the segment turn out? More importantly, what exactly
was it about?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., James Espey <james_at_dml_u...> wrote:
> The local CBS affilate, Channel 11 KHOU came to visit DMCH and will
air the segment this Sunday night on their 10pm newscast. I will try
to get it digitally and upload it to our site next week.

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 23:38:00 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Wiring/ Connector Diagram

It is with some trepidation I answer an electrical question back there...

Wires keep same colors on both sides of firewall. Pass through isn't
even noted on factory diagram. Is there certain color you're concerned
about?

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 00:15:53 -0000
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: "Wreckless" Delorean

I have checked the archives and found nothing, so thought I would
post to say has anyone noticed the "super-car" in the XBox game
wreckless.  It would appear to be modeled on a DeLorean (Cross
between Delorean,BTTF Delorean and possibly the Firestar 500 front)
It even has gullwing doors.  You get the car after completing the
first mission as police using the taxi (at least thats how I got it)

It looks pretty cool

Just though someone may be interested.

Paul
(Willinot)

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:32:56 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

I agree with Marc on all of this.  Torsion bar failure is not a widespread
problem and no one is going to worry about this kind of silly stuff (my
apologies to Paul) for decades, when it actually IS a problem.  And as far as
non-owners that are all worked up over this parts availability stuff -
doesn't it show something when the actual owners are not concerned?  i think
it's kinda funny how the recent additions to the list seem to be rallying
everyone to make sure there are parts available for future owners - you don't
need to worry about it! there will be parts!  we really need to quit crying
over quarter panel dies, torsion bars, etc....  cars are being parted out all
the time and there's nothing to worry about.....................

just ask the list WHEN THE TIME COMES!  that's what i have learned. no part
is inaccessible.  if you have the $$$, that is.

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:37:59 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Newspaper Articles on the Delorean Estate Sale, etc..

I have scanned (finally) the articles from local news papers pertaining
to news on the former Delorean estate.

I appended the news clippings as well as a couple of last minute
pictures to the last page of the Mid-Atlantic fall tour page.

Check it out here:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/falltour3/page7.htm

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:40:42 -0600
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Houston area DML'ers take note...

It was very nice! They were extremely kind and generous with the
complements.
I captured in on my computer... but I got almost the entire newscast to get
it, so it is over a gig at the moment. (high quality ;)
I am attempting to edit it-- but my crappy video editor (or capture card
compression?) give me less than desirable results. The original product
looks great, though, so never fear.
James is probably doing the same thing.. hopefully with better results!
If someone's got the web space for a finished product (100 meg maybe?) drop
me a line off list. If someone can recommend a better tool-- please email
me!

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 20:49:34 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: monster garage

 IF anyone can tape the monster garage segment showing George Baris and
the BTTF Delorean,

please contact me directly.

BOB

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:01:56 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Fix it!

how many web pages do you have?
i have this one http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.salsbury/
and this one http://www.paul.salsbury.btinternet.co.uk/
what is the real web page i should keep or should i keep both of them

mark

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:53:57 -0500
From: "Aaron Crocco" <slider_ten_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Ken's Delorean Car Show Magazine

  Hi all,

  I just wanted to let people know that Ken is looking for people to write
for his upcoming delorean car show magazine.  I decided on the Fall Foliage
Tour, which was a few weeks ago, that I wanted to write an article for it.
It was actually pretty simple and Ken said it really didn't need any
revising.  The process was a piece of cake!

  I know people have bitched about Delorean World ( I REFUSE to call it DW)
and how the content was weak.  Well here's your chance.  My article is on
the Fall Foliage Tour, but from my perspective: that of an enthusiast.  It's
quite a cool spin on things.  I suggested it, and Ken said go for it.  No
'well try to do this' or 'well you dont own a Delorean, so no'.  None of
that.  I encourage everyone who wants to have something put into the
magazine to type up an article and submit it to Ken.  We can make this 'zine
kick some major bootay.

-Aaron Crocco

NY Plate: OUTATYM

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:34:02 EST
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: painting louver??

Hi,
    I am going to bring my louver into a body shop to have it painted this
week.  What type of paint should I have them paint it with?  I have to use 5
bottles of tire shine just to keep it black right now;)  I have found that
most bumper paints just begin to fade after a few seasons of use.  Has anyone
used a paint that really works great?  At Memphis I saw a louver with a
lightly textured paint that really looked nice.

6286-

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:35:38 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: delorean signs

there are a couple of DMC dealership signs on sale on ebay.

mark

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:28:56 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Parts list for replacement/sustitution

I wish to compile a list of sources for the most common engine and mechanical parts that wear out.Things like water pumps,alternators,radiators,wheel bearings,brake pads,winshield wiper blades,water hoses,ac compressors,etc etc.I want to compile a list of all suppliers of original,rebuilt,aftermarket,and good substitutes from other vehicles.I would like to include if possible the model make and years of cars with parts that will work.I realize that this is a massive undertaking but I am willing to give it my best shot.If such a resource already exsisits please let me know before I continue.All help appreciated.
thanks guys

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 23:56:49 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>
Subject: Re: Re: monster garage

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Bob Brandys wrote:

>  IF anyone can tape the monster garage segment showing George Baris and
> the BTTF Delorean,

If I know when it's on I'll make an AVI video out of it so it can be
readily seen by anyone.

Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 00:19:15 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Parts list for replacement/sustitution

John, The list has been done several times. Problem is that manufactures buy
each other out and part numbers change. There has been a lot of that in the
last two years. It's a massive undertaken and I have kept up with it over the
years.. That is what my web site is all about. The other problem is so many
parts if you can come up with numbers aren't stocked and have to be special
ordered. Remember. The cars are 20 years old and getting older. Even I have
to try several suppliers to keep up with some parts. Any way, As a Delorean
vendor, that's what the parts business is all about.
Take a look at the web site, all the parts are sourced and normally priced
less expensive than over the counter. Naturally there are some exceptions,
but over all my parts are under warranty and priced cheaper for the same
quality as oe .
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com