From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1267
Date: Friday, November 08, 2002 6:27 AM

1. The Fall Foliage Tour
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Fall Tour & DeLoreans Magazine
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

3. Delorean Window/Bumper stickers?
From: P12C16_at_dml_aol.com

4. my first long trip in my D
From: <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

5. Radio Woes and interior stuff
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

6. Radiator with broken nossle
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. DMC Logo "Boot Screen"
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Non Starting problem
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

9. LaLonde DeLorean
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

10. 190hp engine? (Re: Fall Tour & DeLoreans Magazine)
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

11. Re: Non Starting problem
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: my first long trip in my D
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. RE: my first long trip in my D
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

14. Houston news segment
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

15. Re: Radio Woes and interior stuff
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>

16. Broken parts for sale
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

17. 190hp engine? (Re: Fall Tour & DeLoreans Magazine)
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

18. Re: my first long trip in my D
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

19. Re: Non Starting problem
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

20. Re: Radiator with broken nossle
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 19:44:05 -0000
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: The Fall Foliage Tour

As the person who started the DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour (and has
been responsible for it since it's inception) I would like to say
a few things.

The purpose of the Fall Foliage Tour is to bring the people and the
cars together and have fun. I try to promote the cars in a favorable
light, not only to the participants but also the onlookers! I have
and will continue to invite and include Bricklins to this event
because I feel they have many of the same issues we DeLorean owners
have and it's great exposure for us all. Bringing the two marques
together will make both marques stronger, better and more valuable. I
think everyone who is a fan of either car can appreciate that.

As far as vendors at the Fall Tour and anyone else for that matter.
Anyone who wants to participate in the Fall Tour has always been
welcome too, including vendors.
PJ Gradys has always been important to the success of the Tour  and
had it not been for the help and generosity of Rob and Debby at PJ
Gradys there probably would not have been a second Fall Tour. If any
other vendors would like to participate in making the Fall Tour a
Success feel free to contact me. If any other Delorean clubs would
like to participate contact me. If any individuals want to help out
and make this event better contact me, I can use the help.

I'll give Ken's Delorean car show a plug here. His shows are
incredible and to the best of my knowledge Ken also has an open
invitation policy to anyone who wants to participate and so do I.

I just wish the Fall Tour had this many posts when I was making the
announcements about it.

As far as Marc Levy and the all tour:

Marc did more than anyone to make this years Tour a success and I
thank him for all his help (along with all the other people who
helped out.As far as anything else goes, Marc is entitled to his
views just as we all are, like them or not.

The DeLorean Fall Tour is about bringing people together not
splitting people and groups apart!

Regards,

Michael DeLuca
Vin 3113
NY Lic. DLORIANN
Wht 75 B 1557

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:04:52 EST
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fall Tour & DeLoreans Magazine

( Moderators note: This is the last post on this subject. It's apparent by the responses coming in that this is a subject that I shouldn't have let through. It's running at 100% saying they see no problem with the offering of free issues of DeLorean Magazine. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but when no one else agrees with it it's time to drop it.)

Note:  (I hope the moderators would allow this through as I would like to
clear up any misinformation that has been said pertaining to DeLorean Mid
Atlantic)

   I would like to respond to some of the posts related to this subject.
First of all there has been no officer of DeLorean Mid Atlantic, making a
statement here on the DML up until now.  Let me say first that everyone is
entitled to their opinon.  What is not acceptable is anyone speaking for our
club that has not the right to do so.  As far as the recent Fall Foliage Tour
goes, and anything that may have transpired there, it is not a specific
DeLorean Mid Atlantic event.  The Fall Tour is put on each year and is
organized by Mike DeLuca and run by him.  Yes he does have others who help
him and our club is always more than happy to assist since it is in our
general area usually.  However it was not started originally as a DeLorean
Mid Atlanaitc event, nor is it specifically one today.  I think Mike does a
great job and I have not seen Mike post anything on this subject so I would
urge no one to pass quick judgements on Mike, or Delorean Mid Atlantic, in
response to anyones personal opinon that does not represent our club or how
Mike may feel.  Many vendors support our club.  No one more than PJ Grady I
will say.  However other vendors have always been willing to offer help and
items, and in fact last year DMC Houston sent us some items such as their new
metal door handles for our Spring Event raffle.  In any event, I do not wish
to go on with this, but I do not want to see our club involved or referred to
by any individual who does not speak on behalf of DeLorean Mid Atlantic.  The
DeLorean Community as a whole is a special group of people no matter where
they are located.  Our club is just our way of getting anyone from anywhere
who wishes, to come together to share a similar interest, the DeLorean.   If
anyone has any questions about our club they may contact Scott Tice our
President or myself.  Thank you

Gary Gore
Vice President
DeLorean Mid Atlantic

<<Marc Wrote:
With no support for DeLorean Midatlantic or any of the local events in this
area, DMCH made use of our event to promote their magazine, and in turn their
business.>>

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:45:10 EST
From: P12C16_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Delorean Window/Bumper stickers?

Hey there all,
    I have emailed DMC Houston about this and have got no response, so I
figured I would run it by you.  Do you have any idea where I can buy a small
DMC window sticker to put on my Jeep to show my support for the DMC?  I'm
thinking of the DMC logo in silver letters with a size of like 1 inch tall by
3 or 4 inches wide. Any ideas how to have one custom made?  I would really
love to have something like it to add a little flare to my car since I don't
own a DeLorean as of yet.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Patrick
VIN: Maybe Some Day....

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:10:01 -0500
From: <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: my first long trip in my D

Hi Everyone

I'm gonna get bold and take my DeLorean on a pretty long trip- from Pigeon Forge TN to Annapolis Maryland next weekend.

My car has 10500 miles on it and I've owned it since the end of September. Is there anything I should do in special preparation to better my chances of a flawless trip?

Also, on an unrelated note, I have a question about my automatic transmission. I have all 3 speeds available, but when I accelerate to gain speed the car seems to thinks I'm trying to pass someone and downshifts. This is annoying and I'd like to get this fixed (especially before I go on my trip!). Is this one of the situations covered by Mark Hershey's transmission computer postings in the DMCNews Techsection?

Thanks to all in advance

Eric Itzel
Vin #04433

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 19:31:43 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Radio Woes and interior stuff

You wouldn't believe how much less I feel like driveing my car to work
now that the radio has completely quit.
Ok Before the front spkrs wouldn't work, but both back ones did
(albeit poorly.. staticy). Now the passenger back one died altogether
and the driver side one is so quite you can't hear it with the engine
one.

I've resorted to starting the engine, gunning it up to 100mph then
cutting the engine and enjoying the tunes while I coast back down...
then repeat til I get to work.

Question; How do I remove that plastic panel over each rear spker.
I want to replace
the whole system. I know I need not remove the dash to get to the
front ones, but is it easier? Perhaps I'll splurge 2 grand and
replace the dash pieces and stereo at the same time (both binnacle
and dash are now cracked &^%%#$!!!!).

Would it be wiring... or the speakers themselves.
Should I trust BestBuy (or similar) to install new speakers and
radio? It is free if you buy the equipment there. Or is the interior
easy enough to take apart.. I can deal with the wiring.

On the note of interior pieces. My head liner is drooping at the rear
of the car. Not the cloth cover... all that was recently done
(previous owner..one thing he *DID* do).. but rather the backing
itself has two bumps in it one- on each side, as though it's not
adequetly attached to the top of the car. It's fine in the middle.
You can see between the headliner-backing and the top of the car if
you look through the rear wind screen. How can I repair this?

Also The left driverside kneepad is not aligned properly to the
dashboard. It's bent down a bit. (years of being kicked perhaps) and
I *think* this is what causes the binncle to bounce (thus crack) when
I go over bumps. How can I re-align this?

Lastly. why must 40 dollar dashmats look so crappy? J/K

thank you, thank you

James LaLonde 001697

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 19:21:05 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Radiator with broken nossle

I have a great condition radiator that has a broken air bypass
nossle on it.  Is it possible to fix this at all?

Thanks
Erik

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:02:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC Logo "Boot Screen"

For those in the minority who us a Mac and like to modify it like you modify your
D . . .  a guy has posted a DMC Logo boot image to replace the Apple boot image
in OSX.2.

http://www.resexcellence.com/bootimage/index_01.shtml
(the bottom left image)

Shannon Y
VIN# < 7 months to go!

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:11:10 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Non Starting problem

I checked the Idle speed motor and it is working. I got it to fire up
and was able to keep it running for a minute by keeping  my foot on the
gas, but it smelled like it was running real rich. I know the timing
has got to be off so is there a way to get the timing set fairly close
so I can get it idling  to set it correctly?

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:02:24 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: LaLonde DeLorean

Just so everyone doesn't think I can't read:

I really meant that you can take the SS letters for the rear bumber
and rearrange them to spell LaLonde
this is accomplished by fliping the R over into another L (it's the
same shape)

So I'm going to shave all the 'DMC's and 'DeLorean's off my car and
call it
the LaLonde LMC-12

just kidding.

James L.

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:19:39 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: 190hp engine? (Re: Fall Tour & DeLoreans Magazine)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> Houston has added 60 horsepower the car.

Though it may be true that the DMCH improved engine produces 197hp at
the flywheel, as they claim, this doesn't necessarily mean that it's
67hp more powerful than the 130hp stock engine.  Unfortunately it's
not that simple.  At the risk of sounding like a commercial for DMCH,
I have no doubt at all that their engine is better, on account of its
less restrictive exhaust, different camshaft, and whatever else
they've done.  The comparison to the stock engine may be apples and
oranges, though.

It's unrealistic to compare horsepower ratings that don't specify the
conditions under which horsepower was measured.  The DeLorean stock
engine horsepower was specified 130 net, which by Society of
Automotive Engineers (SAE) definition means that the measurement was
taken with all normally attached accessories, like alternator, AC
compressor, and waterpump installed.  Unless the DMCH figures were
taken under the same circumstances, it's not possible to
intelligently compare the numbers.

For real horsepower information, we are indebted to Bob Brandys, who
performed a very sensible dynamometer test of DeLorean horsepower on
a bunch of actual real life cars, which is the only truly believable
way to test horsepower.  The results are at:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/horsepower.html

For a stock DeLorean with 5speed, the power at the wheels was 96hp.
(Apparently, 34hp was lost to friction in the drivetrain and tires)

Until someone publishes a dynamometer run of a car with an enhanced
DMCH engine that produces 145.44 (197/130*96hp-at-wheels)or more
horsepower at the wheels, we'll never know how the DMCH engine really
compares to stock.  It seems reasonable to interpret DMCH's
horsepower rating of 197hp as more of a "gross" power rating, than
a "net" powerrating.  I'm very interested in the actual difference
between the stock and the DMCH engine.

Rick Gendreau
VIN 11472, 535hp

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:26:04 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Non Starting problem

Phil, Now that you got it started, Adjust the lower screw ( clock ) on the
throttle body lever to keep it running. But make sure the top screw is in far
enough to activate the idle speed motor. You need to take the motor off and
look inside to make sure the passage way valve is opening.
Timing, when you adjust the lower idle screw, it will do the same as you
sitting there with your foot on the peddle. You have got to have a timing
light to adjust to 13 degrees BTDC. Once that's done and the car is running,
then you can back off the screws to lower the idle to about 950. But, Again,
I would look and make sure the valve in the motor is opening. It may hummmm
but not turn inside.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.vom

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:29:39 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: my first long trip in my D

Make sure you take a box of tools with you just in case.Check all the normal stuff.You might want to check you brake pads,make sure you parking brake is adjusted tight enough (read horrible article about delorean rolling into something today)thats all i can think of right off.

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:49:00 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

Why on earth would you want to leave the Smokies?

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031
DML
DMC Forum
RDOLA

I'm gonna get bold and take my DeLorean on a pretty long trip- from Pigeon
Forge TN to Annapolis Maryland next weekend.

Snipped by Scott

Thanks to all in advance

Eric Itzel
Vin #04433

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:10:15 -0600
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Houston news segment

> Article on Deloreans in Houston:
> <http://www.khou.com/news/local/KHOU021106_rc_Deloreans.22bc0123.html>

Use this login if you don't want to create one: dmc(AT)dev.null.au, password
dmcdmc
Includes the video!

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 18:16:46 -0600
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>
Subject: Re: Radio Woes and interior stuff

> Should I trust BestBuy (or similar) to install new
> speakers and radio?

I wouldn't take the chance that they'd put a split in the interior trim
pieces that cover the rear speakers ($180 per side, last time I checked).
All I needed when I replaced my rear speakers was a hair dryer and a lot of
patience.  I removed the door seals and used the hair dryer to heat the
portion of the trim pieces that wrap underneath the seals.  Once it got warm
enough, it not only made the plastic pliable but also softened the glue
holding it down.  I was able to just peel the plastic back, while being
careful not to create any splits in it.  After that, the rest of the process
was simple (undo the seat belt, remove panel, swap speakers, etc).

> You can see between the headliner-backing and the top of the car if
> you look through the rear wind screen. How can I repair this?

My original headliner backing had developed the same warping issue (plus the
sections in the doors were starting to droop), so I bought the fiberglass
replacements from PJ Grady.  It's certainly not the cheapest way to go, but
it has got to be the easiest.

__________________
Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov '81)

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:14:55 -0500
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Broken parts for sale

I am selling my broken mirror switch and Craig radio to anyone who is interested in fixing or having them.  Please e-mail at RJRavali_at_dml_aol.com if you are interested in either one.

Thanks,

Richard

Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 01:21:03 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

You kinda missed the point Rick....

I wasn't quoting technical Data... Just commenting the dispite DMCH's
commericialism they have done wonders too. They have the better
engine (even if it was only 5 hp better)...Grady doesn't.

Happy DeLoreaning
James 001697

Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 05:08:01 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Allow LOTS of extra time to answer public questions (the same
questions over & over) every time you stop for gas, food, etc. No joke
-- adds an hour or so to my trip to DC. Being curt doesn't help (just
seems to incite public).

Even though car has no cup holder, 20 oz coke bottle fits nicely
against seat between yourself and the console.

Re: automatic transmission downshift -- according to tech manual, full
throttle switch (the gizmo that got me into so much trouble re: cold
start valve experiment) sends a signal to a computer controlling
transmission to shift into 2nd (mine's 5 speed -- don't get me to
lyin'). Must be like long rod in bad old days that physically
connected throttle linkage to kick down lever. Flooring car will
downshift, no option. Should you decide to experiment with this
switch, I don't recommend posting the results...

Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 06:06:33 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If it is runnng too rich try adjusting the fuel mixture screw just a
little. Set it enough to keep the car running and then check the
ignition timming. If you have an analog dwell meter put it on pins 2
and 3 of the diagnostic plug and with the meter set to 4 cyl dwell it
should fluctuate between 35 and 45 degrees. This won't work with a
digital meter, you really have to use an old style meter with a dial.
Turn the mixture screw to get there when the engine is warmed up. That
will get you in the ball park of adjusting the air fuel ratio. To get
closer you will need an exhaust gas analyzer. Refer to the Workshop
Manual and I think the dwell meter procedure is _at_dml_ DMCNEWS.

Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 06:13:56 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator with broken nossle

I don't know how reliable any repair would be. Depending on how it is
broken it might be possible to drill and tap for a fitting to attach a
hose to it. I would epoxy it in with a preminum 3M brand epoxy. A 20
year old radiater is not worth it in my opinion, there isn't much life
left in it anyway. I recently replaced the radiater in my car and
although it looked fine and didn't leak, when I got it out and
examined it it was a little green around the edges (the seals where
the plastic tanks are attached were leaking very slightly). I don't
think you should take any chances with the cooling system, just
replace it.