From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1269
Date: Sunday, November 10, 2002 6:25 AM

1. Re: 001697 is no more,
From: P12C16_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: 001697 is no more, Don't let your dream die!
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: 001697 is no more,
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

4. Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: Noise Control
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

7. Re: 001697 is no more,
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

8. Re: 001697 is no more, Don't let your dream die!
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

9. Binacle and Dashboard
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

10. Extra wires in doors
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

11. Fascia
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: 001697 is no more,
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

13. Re: Binacle and Dashboard
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

14. Re: Fascia
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

15. Re: Wiring diagram
From: NJPIII_at_dml_AOL.COM

16. RE: Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

17. Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

18. Re: Digest Number 1268
From: "Avi" <ksarfaraz123_at_dml_attbi.com>

19. Hand Built DeLoreans
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

20. Re: 001697 is no more,
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

21. Torsion bar brackets
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>

22. RE: Re: Binnacle and Dashboard
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

23. Re: Binacle and Dashboard
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:31:12 EST
From: P12C16_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: 001697 is no more,

Well the main thing is that James is allright.  Unfortunately the world lost
a DeLorean out of the accident.  It really goes to show how well the DeLorean
was designed, allowing James to leave uninjured out of a car without any
airbags.  This really goes to show how well the front crumple zones work.

Sorry to hear of it James, but I am sure you will have another DeLorean in no
time.
Patrick
VIN:  Soon...

Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:37:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 001697 is no more, Don't let your dream die!

Oh James Im so sorry! I just got done reading your
LaLonde email. I feel really bad :(

James this brings up a good point with all this "hand
built delorean" stuff going around.

If I was you I would not let 1697 die. Yeah I know I'm
crazy with saveing DeLoreans but oh well. Anything can
be saved, I will prove this in years to come. But as
bad as it looks now it can be fixed. I know everyone
is gonna scream "part it out" and put out there hands
in favor of grabing some cheap parts off ebay. That is
really sickening to me. We need to concentrate on the
Ds out there right now and not worry about building
new ones. Repare, refurbish and rescue these hurt
DeLoreans. Part of the dream is preserving the dream
as well. When a fellow Vin falls we need to remember
to not abandone her but save her from the freaks who
want to chop her up into tiny pieces and make money. I
am sorry but I DO NOT BELIEVE IN MAKEING MONEY OFF A
DELOREAN! No Way no how! call me stupid or an idiot,
but if you want to go make money go get a job. I don't
want anyone to email me either with your reasons to
turn a fast buck because I don't wanna hear it!

Lets all help James out here. Lets give him the
support and the advice to take 1697 and save her and
James' dream. I'm behind you 100% anything you need
just let me know! I don't want to see your dream die,
lets all help and save her.

Todd
Vin 5386

=====
For up to the minute details on the restoration of Vin5386 point your browser to, http://www.khpindustries.com/stainlessrestorations.html

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 04:02:54 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

Most important of course is that you are not seriously injured, if at all. Next, I
would contact DMC Houston to see about getting a quote on repairing your
car. Video tape it, take some photos, and get all possible photos. Now granted
I've no idea as to the extent of the damage to you car, hoever, I've always
figured that if this same situation happened to my car, that a new chassis
front-end, repair/replace the front pontoon, and straighten the fenders out, and
the car would be back on the road. However, the final verdict of course would
be up to the DeLorean collision experts. The parts supply is available, so now
is as good a time as any to put it to use. Obtain a quote, and submit it into the
adjuster. If you want to keep the car, you're going to have to do your own
footwork here.

Don't give up hope just yet. IMO, recieving a "salvage" title is worth the trouble
of keeping the car on the road.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> Well friends,
> 001697 is hurt.
>
> On the way home this evening I was about a mile from home on a 45mph
> road, doing around 40mph... And this woman in a burgundy cadilac
> pulls out of her drive way and I hit her. She pulled out when I was
> already with 10-20 feet from her. I didn't know what happened... all
> I saw was a wall of stainless steal the hood had created in it's
> malformity. Hood, front facia, passenger front fender, and driver
> side front fender. Whole front-end is now a bent mess of Stainless
> and fiberglass.
<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 05:53:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Hand Built DeLoreans

As interesting as it may be there will never be anymore Deloreans
created. The problem as I understand it is no one has the authority to
create a vin number for a Delorean anymore. To create a "new" Delorean
would require it to meet all emmision and safety requirements that are
presently in place, not the ones from 20 years ago. The only way the
83's were built was that the vin numbers for them were already
created, it was just a matter of building the cars to go along with
the numbers. It is still possible to take a "dead" Delorean and
resurect it with the origional vin # but you cannot ever have anymore
vin #'s then there presently are. There is no longer a manufacurer
that can issue a Certificate of Origion which is required to register,
title, and finance a car. There are not enough parts for a build run
of any significance anyway, where would all of the frames come from?
If you take them from "real" cars then you can use the vin # which is
what Delorean One must be doing when they claim to rebuild a car. In
effect it is not a "new" car because the vin # has already been sold
so it is legaly a used car although it is rebuilt. It cannot be sold
as new. The only way you could buy a "new" Delorean is if you can find
one that is still owned by a Dealer and never titled. I only know of 2
cars that still have that status, they are owned by an origional
selling Dealer in Keyport, New Jersey and no they are not for sale at
this time
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_l...> wrote:
> In all honestly, I could totally care less about any
positive/negative effect that

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 06:01:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Noise Control

Before going to great lengths to "soundproof" the car make sure to
seal up all of the holes in the passenger compartment especially the
plugs in the firewalls front and rear. Adding more weight is the last
thing you want to do. If the door seals are shot replacing them will
help a lot. If the doors don't close all the way adjust the latch
pins. Exhaust leaks will make the motor louder then it should be. A
problem with the fuel pump will make it noisy. The wrong oil or the
wrong amount in the transmission can make it noisy. The Delorean isn't
too noisy a car if everything is in good condition but keep in mind
that the engine isn't too far from your ears and the transmission is
under your elbow.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_k...> wrote:
> Dave - First off, I find the noise level in Winged1 to be akin to
> "music to my ears", especially at WOT (wide open throttle), but that
> is certainly a personal preference for everybody.  I know that
several

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 01:44:58 -0500
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

I will comment on the likelihood of this happen.  0.0%.  I know some
people like to dream about it, but why bother?  If DMCH had money coming
out the ears, they would have already manufactured the torsion bars.
Anyone who thinks that they are going to up and build Deloreans car is
out of their minds.  Especially with updates.  If they have a new frame
and do safety upgrades then they have to the vehicle tested to meet
federal standards.  This is seven-figure testing.  I'm sure remaking
panel dies is 7-figures too.

Even if someone was going to try this, why would they keep the same
design?  Because parts are so plentiful and cheap?  And who in their
right mind would use a PRV engine.  That's just ridiculous.  Plus, for a
limited run, the car would have to be astronomically expensive- not only
more than you are willing to pay but more than you can afford.

DMCH is waiting for 12 people to order before they make torsion bars,
right?  What's that, $5000?  Do you think they're eagerly saving so they
can spend millions?  no.  I think that this is a not only unattainable
but also, business-wise, a horrible idea.

Jim
1537

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:55:54 -0000 "James LaLonde"
<deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com> writes:
> OK I read the article about DMCH someone posted recently;
>
> I'm not commenting on the likelihood/possibility/legality of the
> scenerio - but...
> If they can;
>
> Do you think it's a good idea to hand build new DeLoreans? Would
> this
> use-up important parts for the rest of us? Obviously there are
> certain obstacles to overcome before they could do this. Namely
> Torsion bars. Most other parts are in stock or reproducable.

Only $9.95 per month!

Visit www.juno.com

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 13:58:03 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

I appreciate all your concern greatly.
I'd say nearly everything from the door forward needs replaced. I'm
pretty sure the Driver side fender is repairable... but the hood and
passenger side would only be usefull as modern art.
I'm fairly sure (though the events are hazy) that both door survive
without a scratch. I'm going to the scrap yard to take pics today.
You're right though (whom ever mentioned) I need to get on the ball
here and play at insurance adjusting.... He sure won't know half as
much as I do. The kicker is Metlife uses a "guarenteed repair"
program.. meaning that if you send it to a certified shop of thier
they guarentee the work for the life of the car... perhaps they'll
extend this benefit to repair done at PJ Grady, but it's doubtful.
And of course not one of thier facilities knows jack about the DMC12
(unless perhaps Don Massey Cadilac is one... they used to be a DMC
dealer).

I thought the same thing a 40+ mph collision and I stand up and walk
away... I do appreciate my belove'd 1697 for her sacrifice in saving
my ass :P I think I may have broken a rib or two though... have to
see about that next week...
I've got a wrecked DeLorean to go take pictures of.. I can't be
bother with trivial things like ribs. :P

THank you all for your kind support, I'm sure I'll need more very soon

James 001697 (or 001696.5)

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:06:30 -0500
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

I agree 100 %.  I rescued my Delorean from Maryland 2 and 1/2 years ago.  It
has given me great joy in rebuilding her little by little.  I just felt it
wasn't her time to go.  the frame and engine were perfect.  All stainless
was good except for passenger front fender and passenger door.  Don't let
yours die.  I am sure you can revive her.  It might take some money but she
is a piece of history.  That is just my opinion.  I guess first you have to
assess her damage but my heart goes out to you.

Joseph

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:49:07 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Binacle and Dashboard

Has anyone refinished their own binnacle and / or dashboard with good
results?  I would like to find out how this can be done.

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:51:20 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Extra wires in doors

I see extra wires in both the drivers side a passenger side doors with
connectors going no where.  Does anyone know what these are for?

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:53:36 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Fascia

Does anyone know how to straighten  / prevent the bumps in the front fascia
over the headlights?

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 15:23:01 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> Well friends,
> 001697 is hurt.
>
> On the way home this evening I was about a mile from home on a
45mph
> road, doing around 40mph... And this woman in a burgundy cadilac
> pulls out of her drive way and I hit her. ...

Rick Gendreau writes:

Hi James.

I'm really glad you came out of the crash okay.  That's awful about
your car, though it would clearly seem to be the other party's fault,
at least.  That's too bad about your hood, and fenders.  It didn't
hear you say that your windshield was broken, or that the fuel tank
ruptured.  It's probable that you could fix your car, even if it's
totalled by definition, if the windshield survived, meaning that the
damage is limited to the part in front of the front wall of the
passenger compartment.  I hope you can work something out with your
insurance company that lets you keep your car, and put the money back
into it to repair it, but with the economy as it is, one couldn't
blame you for taking the money and running and unloading your car.

Good luck,
Rick Gendreau

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 15:35:17 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Binacle and Dashboard

What's up, Doc.

Yes and No.
I have refinished my dashboard with good results, using high quality
vinyl with woven(not felt)backing glued with contact cement.  You'll
have to take it out first, which is a total pain even with the
windshield removed.  The added width from the new vinyl made
reinstallation difficult, though possible.  I cut a 3inch hole where
the speakers go, finished with a grill
I have attempted, and failed, to refinish my severely cracked
binnacle, though I'm sure I could, if I were motivated.  I'm not, my
car uses a Prelude binnacle.

Good luck.

Rick Gendreau

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 15:44:31 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Fascia

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., doctorDHD_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Does anyone know how to straighten  / prevent the bumps in the
front fascia
> over the headlights?
>
> Dave

Yes,
In my case, I epoxied a steel bar, 1/8"by1/2", cut to length, along
the entire inner length of the fascia above the headlights.  Before
gluing, I put the slight curve needed into the bar by precision
hammering along one edge, and trial clamped the piece in place to
make sure the eyebrows were alleviated before putting in the glue (PC-
7, my favorite, messy but very effective) I've talked to others
who've successfully used aluminum and windshield adhesive bead, which
I think is also a very nice idea.

Getting my fascia back on was hard, because it had shrunk by
about .3% in length over the years, and there isn't a provision for
adjustment of the mounting points on the car in that dimension.

My car didn't have eyebrows when I bought it, but developed them
while the fascia was stored off of the car, which I thought was
pretty weird.

Rick Gendreau

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 11:02:09 EST
From: NJPIII_at_dml_AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Wiring diagram

If you are interested in an origanal schematic on a D I have one with the
original code key page that came with it from the factory. It is rather large
though unfolded it is at least 4ft by 3ft I may be able to copy it .

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 11:04:15 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Hand Built DeLoreans

I have a couple of sets of Vin plates and titles from parted cars if anyone
decides to build a new one.

Jack.

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 16:53:03 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

For a limted run, things probably are not as gloomy as they look. The main
thing of course is yes, DMCH would need to be able to issue new VIN#'s.
What that costs, I've no idea, so I'm not even going to begin to speculate. Body
dies are of no concern. Less expensive dies can be created for limited
production runs of body panels, and the cost of things such as torsion bars
would help to be absorbed by the sale of new cars.

Crash testing shouldn't b e a problem. From what I have heard, if the
production #'s are low enough, then the testing is not required. And even if it
was, only 1-2 cars would need to be sacrificed. EPA testing is no problem
either. If the car uses a motor which has already been tested by the EPA, then
only a limited milage test would be nessisary for that particular application of
the motor within a specific vehicle. Just like the original DMC-12 did with the
PRV.

Speaking of the PRV, I don't think that it will be reused in the DeLorean. It is a
good motor, I like it, and if massaged and reworked properly, then it has great
potential as a powerful engine. In addition, it has been advanced quite a bit
since 1982. Not couting the fact that it isn't widley used here across the pond,
it still has the stigma of only being a V-6. To really stay competative with other
supercars in it's class (which is what this new car will most likely end up
being), then it will need at bare minimum a V-8 powerplant. Preferably with
some sort of forced induction. And if Houston isreally good, then they'll also
make this same motor available to existing DMC-12's as well! =) The price
range too I would imagine to be somewhere in the $80K+ range.

As far as keeping old designs, I don't think this will be a problem at all. We've
now got 22+ years or re-engineering experience behind us, so I have a gut
feeling that reliability will very much be apart of this car (although I'm sure that
new parts will be introduced, not just old recycled ones). However, only one
single quesion remains: Will VIRM still be used to make the new underbodies,
and if so, are there any liciencing restrictions from Lotus (or their owners and
affiliates) that will need to be overcome?

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 07:42:06 -1100
From: "Avi" <ksarfaraz123_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1268

I think it would be cool, But we should only remanufacture deloreans with
special badging, and And updates, If we Put some of the profit towards JZD
and His DMC-2 Project, So We can Live the Dream Once Again. It would devalue
our cars though, and I Don't think we should be too appreciative of that.
Unless we bought some of the new ones.

Avicenna Ariana Sarfaraz
Age 15
1981 DMC-12 Owner
(When Title transfer is applicable) Vin#1930

Youngest D Owner Out there! ^.^

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 12:40:57 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Hand Built DeLoreans

DeLorean 1 "New DeLorean" is 99% new as was stated recently in the DeLorean
World Mag.  The car went to a collector in Japan.  They may well have used a
salvage vin# to build this "new" car.

They claim that they are getting $60K for a refurbished car, and more for
the "new".

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031
DML
DMC Forum
RDOLA

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 21:13:52 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

Well, I was unable to view the car today. The impound yard was
closed at 1 oclock pm... and wouldn't take a bribe to let me take
some pics. I have vacation monday. So we'll see then... when I get
my Ford Probe registered again, and have the head gasket replaced on
it. Hey guys, before vin1697 My Probe was my baby!

My thoughts were similar Rick... No real operational damage to the
any of the cars major systesm other than the radiator. I'm sure
she'd run fine at this point. If it weren't for the tire being
punctured she might even be drivable for a short distance (though
the passenger suspension is obviously shot).. and steering would be
impossible...
I'm getting more and more hopeful now that my mind is a bit clearer.
It's the waiting the kills me.

In fact, other than the pontoon repair.. I could do most it myself
(but won't be if it's on MetLife's dime... unless they scrap the
car... then I may to save myself some cash).

How about frame damage. I know it's unlikely that the backbone (or
however it is you'd refer to the middle section) is damaged. But the
frame extension at the front, and the passeger-side Y-piece are
hurt... any info on those pieces' ability to with stand a collision?

I pray that Metlife will aim to please me with thier claims service,
considering I sell their insurance.

Yeah, I guess I could speculate and talk about this until I'm blue
in the face. My other-than-DeLorean-activity before the crash was
playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City.... you can imagine how appealing
that sounds now (if you know the game).

Well I'll shut up about my wreck unless there's any new news or
specific questions.

Would I ever have gotten this kinda support if I owned a Corvette..
or even a Murcielago? Probably not, nor would I have even cared as
much.

I thank you all for your words of encourgment, and though in the end
she is just a car, it does mean alot to me (as our cars are more
than just cars to us) that you've all been so understanding, and
simply nice.

Thank you all!
Happy DeLoreaning (I will again!!)
James L (yet proud owner of...) 001697

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:13:52 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>
Subject: Torsion bar brackets

I don't want to start a whole new torsion bar thread.

I remember reading some where about the plate that the torsion bar bracket
bolts to coming unstuck from the body, What was the recommendation for
fixing it back tight?

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 15:14:56 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Binnacle and Dashboard

I recall that someone had there binnacle recovered in leather which was
sewn.  The picture looked good.

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031