From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1270
Date: Sunday, November 10, 2002 1:11 PM

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: "iqmpike" <iqmpike_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Heydudetoo_at_dml_aol.com

From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

From: "bill221" <bill221_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

From: "Joe Sorrentino" <joeytino_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

15. A number 7 fuse short circuit
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

16. RE: DeLorean Storage
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

17. Re: A number 7 fuse short circuit
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

18. Re: Re: 001697 is no more, only if you give up.
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

20. Re: A number 7 fuse short circuit
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

21. Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

22. Re: A number 7 fuse short circuit
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: 001697 is no more,
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

24. Re: 001697 is no more, only if you give up.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 19:01:57 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Binnacle and Dashboard

Scott, That may have been me. John Hervey. If you didn't know it wasn't
original you wouldn't know. It's on the web site.It looked original.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/images/binical-sewn.jpg

<< I recall that someone had there binnacle recovered in leather which was
 sewn.  The picture looked good.

 Scott Mueller
 002981 >>

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 00:54:31 -0000
From: "iqmpike" <iqmpike_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean Storage

Saw some people talking about Delorean storage...

check out:

http://www.deloreanmuseum.com

There is something similar to a carcoon, only it's a lot cheaper and
has a 2 year replacement warranty.

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:07:11 EST
From: Heydudetoo_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: RPM relay

Can anyone tell me what picks the RPM relay?  I understand what keeps it
picked, I just cannot find what picks it.
The reason I ask is mine will not pick, but if I help it to pick it will stay
picked and the car runs fine.
Oh I know, buy a new one and don't worry about it, unless the new one needs
help to.  Most places will not take back electronic parts.  I would just like
to know where the pick comes from so I could check and clean, etc.
Thanks
Jerry
Vin# 4890

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:31:22 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

That was on Josh's car
it has a light grey interior and a new dash and binacle
if you want a pic of it e-mail me privately

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 23:40:39 -0500
From: <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Re: Re: my first long trip in my D

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, I'll take it to heart.

To answer your question Scott, the reason I'm leaving the Smokies is of
course to see the Chesapeake. It's nice to get down to sea level sometimes..

Before I take the car out of state, I'm going to war with the downshift
problem. I'll keep you guys posted on my findings.

Thanks again
Eric Itzel
vin #04433

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 04:49:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Extra wires in doors

The wires were intended for heaters in the outside rear view mirrors.

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 04:51:33 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fascia

One way to fix it is to remove the headlights and epoxy a very thin
piece of aluminum sheet to the underside of the facia. It has to be
thin or it will interfere with the headlights.

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 04:58:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: 001697 is no more,

It is probably way past economic value to have the car repaired. The
only way it might be resurected is if you buy the car back from the
insurance company cheap after they total it, buy a parts car, and do
the majority of the work yourself. If you figure the cost of the parts
AND LABOR it will come out to more than the total value of your car.
Another option would be to buy the car back, sell off all the good
parts and use the money from the parts and insurance payment to get
another. In some States once a car is totaled by the insurance company
the Title of the car is changed to a "salvage" title making the car
worthless as it can no longer be registered.

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:01:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

When my car was converted to Right hand drive the dash
was covered with black leather out of a Porsche 911.It
was expensive but makes the interior look better IMHO.
Andrew
VIN 2883
Sydney

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 00:44:43 -0500
From: "bill221" <bill221_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Trade 4 Delorean

Hello,

I'm trying to sell and/or trade my 1998 Mitsubish 3000GT for a Delorean that
I can "fix-up".  The KBB value of my 3000GT is ~10K.  Does anyone know the
best place to find a DMC for this price range?  I'm willing to buy a
"project" car and have the time/energy to deal with a car that needs a lot
of work.  I simply don't have the 20K+ for one in good condition.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 23:27:19 -0500
From: <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Re: Hand Built DeLoreans

Hey guys

If Houston made 500 new deloreans, what about the VIRM underbodies? I
presume they require molds to create, and it looked like a pretty fancy
manufacturing process to piece it all together. Could Houston bear the cost
of making molds and dies for the panels and the underbody for just 500 cars?

my 2 cents

Eric Itzel
Vin #04433

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 00:51:47 -0500
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

I had my dash recovered in black leather.  I had this done with the dash
intact.  I hated the idea of taking the dash off.  It seems like an awful
project so my upholstery guy just put a layer of black leather on top and
glued it down.  I have new 6 inch speakers near my feet so I didn't have
them keep the speaker cut out the same (no more poked holes in the dash).
It came out beautiful.  I will email to anyone interested.  I also have pics
of that binnacle sewn (of someone else's car).  I just opted to get a new
binnacle since it is easy to replace and I thought $300.00 wasn't too much.
Remember to have your dashboard cracks filled in and smoothed over otherwise
it will show through the leather.  I also had the glove lid redone to match.
The hardest part was getting a screwdriver to fit your heater vents in the
windshield corner up front.  Not much room up there.

Joseph

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 07:36:52 +0000
From: "Joe Sorrentino" <joeytino_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: CBS DMC news spot

My wife truly loves me. When checking one of her soap opera video tapes this
week (Don't ask) She saved a CBS morning news spot on DMC Houston. Not only
was it actually positive on the D, referring to the cars long standing
appeal and affordability even after twenty years, but I finally saw what
Steve Wynne actually looked like. They also mentioned that Steve was looking
to build new cars in the future (!) As I am between my old junk PC and a new
monster, I don't know if I can convert it, but if no one else has it, I'll
give it a try. I can at least transcribe it if the desire is out there. At
least the public at large is fianlly beginning to see the D for what it is.

It's late, sorry for any typo's
Best Regards:
Joe Sorrentino

From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DML] Binacle and Dashboard
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:01:12 EST

ask Josh
he has a rebuild

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:45:17 -0500
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

Crash testing is always required for the sale of complete cars.  Also,
it's 2 cars ABSOLUTE minimum.  It's more like 5 even if you're cutting
corners.  Plus testing a safety systems, ie airbags, takes numerous sled
runs (ie, 25 or more) to ensure functionality.  At your 80k per car, you
are already up to $400k, and you have not counted the cost of production
or testing yet.  This is an inexplicably expensive notion, no one in
their right mind would undertake such a business venture.  Especially due
to the limited popularity of the original model.

Jim
1537

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 16:53:03 -0000 "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
writes:
> For a limted run, things probably are not as gloomy as they look. The
> main
> thing of course is yes, DMCH would need to be able to issue new
> VIN#'s.
> What that costs, I've no idea, so I'm not even going to begin to
> speculate. Body
> dies are of no concern. Less expensive dies can be created for
> limited
> production runs of body panels, and the cost of things such as
> torsion bars
> would help to be absorbed by the sale of new cars.

Only $9.95 per month!

Visit www.juno.com

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:37:05 EST
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: A number 7 fuse short circuit

Dear list,

Hello, list. I am having the electrical problem.
First I notice that my D had a hard staring engine problem.
After 2 months later I drove my D, the engine never start again.
Therefor I was checking the reason...

  I found out the a number 7 fuse was burned.
SO I changed new 20A fuse, but after I started the engine,
the fuse die immediately.
The fuse take care of lambo relay and ECU, fuel pump, etc.,
I thought fuel pump area is doing something bad.
 Two line connector terminals were became blue like corrupt.
 I cut and rewired them.
Also I never changed relays, so I simply changed all relays.

Even I worked the car with poor skill, my d still dont start the engine.

It start but 1 or 2 second later engine is stopped because
#7 fuse is burned. I can use tester, but I dont know where
I should look first.

Can you please any help?

Also can anyone please tell me how to change + and - battery wires
because I am thinking to replace with high grade audio(22sq)
wires. And New battery wire should reduce electrical loss.

Thank you very much for all help.

Blacknight
ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:25:38 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: DeLorean Storage

I would be leery of purchasing something from an unknown, invisible seller.
There is no way given to contact the seller or the manufacturer.

My $0.02 worth.

Scott Mueller
002981
DOA 5031
DML
DMC Forum
RDOLA

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:50:52 -0600
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: A number 7 fuse short circuit

The wiring for the fuel pump runs forward and around the left front
corner of the car. It then proceeds rearward to the inertia switch. If you
look at section 3, subsection 7, group 2 in the parts manual you'll see all
of this except the inertia switch itself. There are few plug ins along this
wiring loom which may be the culprits or a stressed wire could be shorting
out somewhere along this route. I heard that wiring loom was bent too
sharply at the left front corner in some cars and that caused a break in
some individual wires. Try disconnecting the wires from the fuel pump and
running temporary wires to the inertia switch and see if the problem goes
away. If it does you may want to consider making the temporary wires
perminate. I'm sure there are other reason you could be having a problem but
I've done this fix on at least one other car with success.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:22:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: 001697 is no more, only if you give up.

I would not let anyone stand in the way of me and my
DeLorean. If for some reason my car did get "totaled"
I would refuse the insurance compensation if I was
going to loose my D. The theory of determining if your
car is worth reapiring or not worth repairing is a
catch 22 statement. It is all dependent on the passion
of the owner. If the owner only sees his/her D as just
"another car" then if it was technically totaled they
would not care about it. they would take the money and
run. Abadoning the Vin and the dream. A true DeLorean
freak would never let there dream die. If I had to
tear the car apart into every piece possible and
salavage what I could including the vin and title then
couple it back with another "totaled" car. for example
a D that was crushed from the rear. My vin would live
on. Nothing can destroy the dream beside the owner
giving up and throwing there hands up in the air.
There is always hope. All I know is my Vin will always
live, no matter what. And I will not sell or part with
it under any situation. No insurance company would
tell me it's junk or mechanic. Insurance companys and
mechanics are out to make money. thats all they care
about. They don't care if your heartbroken and feel a
loss. "it's just a car" they wil ltell you. Actually
it's an unreplaceable VIN #. Once it's gone it's gone.
How do you put a price, compensation or condition on
that?

Todd
Vin 5386

=====
For up to the minute details on the restoration of Vin5386 point your browser to, http://www.khpindustries.com/stainlessrestorations.html

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:47:00 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

houston has one of these VARI molds to make the underbody.

mark

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:10:43 -0600
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

I guess I should have been more specific. The black/purple wire goes between
the fuel pump and the inertia switch. The white/purple goes from the fuel
pump to the RPM relay. The number 7 fuse goes to the main fuel relay which
divides things between the ECU unit, the frequency valve, and the RPM relay.
I've seen a couple of cars that didn't have continuity between the inertia
switch and the black/purple connection at the pump. If the wire had broken
and eliminated continuity it's just as possible it frayed to the point of
shorting which would blow the number 7 fuse. Might not be the answer but if
all the relays have been changed and the connections at the number 7 fuse
are ok, then that's where I'd start looking.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:46:02 -0500
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

Several years ago, I found a box full of VIN numbers at the Columbus Warehouse. The numbers were from the 1982 production run. The VIN numbers were the dash board type, not the door plate type.

In addition, there was a lot of information addressed to Marvin Katz about resuming DeLorean production. Letters from many different established car suppliers addressing the need to build body dies, supply whatever parts Mr. Katz needed to put the car back into production.

Based on the information that I read, it was very easy to produce whatever was needed to build the car again...it was just a matter of financing, and according to Jerry Rhine, that aspect of resuming DMC production fell through when Mr. & Mrs. DeLorean decided to divide their assets.

There is a possibility to bring the car back to life and resume production. Carroll Shelby, the builder of the AC Cobra, found some unfinished VIN numbers from the Cobras production run & was able to complete several cars...several years later.

Recently, A gentleman found an uncompleted Mercedes Benz 300sl Gullwing (one of the last made) in a Chicago warehouse. He was able to work with a 300sl specialist in Germany to have the car finished, and titled as a 1957, not a 2002.

I do not believe that it is wise to guess, speculate or spread misinformation about DMC Houston's future endeavors, in my opinion.

It takes a lot of confidence for Stephen Wynn to publicly claim (and have reported on the NEWS) that building more DeLorean cars, is in his future.

DeLorean Motor Co has a toll free number, an email address, and a postal address. I believe that Stephen would be happy to answer any question(s) regarding his plans for the DeLorean.

Best Wishes,
Michael Pack
Columbia Maryland

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:32:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Pull the plug off the control pressure regulater and pull up the
button on the inertia switch. See if the fuse holds. If it does reset
the inertia switch and watch the fuse. If it is not a wiring problem
it is most commonly the fuel pump or the control pressure regulater.
You will probably have to rewire the fuse block with an external
fuseholder for circuit #7 if the block is melted. Unless the battery
wires are damaged I would leave them alone.

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:30:54 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Yes, some states will not
allow you to register a salvaged vehicle. This isn't a problem at all. If nothing
else, you could always "wash" the title. This happens to thousands of cars
every year.

And as far as repairing the car not being economicly viable, HA! Classic car
restoration is far from being economic anyhow! The only people who will
make ANY profit at all are going to be those that sell parts. Not us who are
restoring/rebuilding the cars. Personally, I've no problem with that at all. In all
truth, my DeLorean so far has cost me about as much as a new sports car
would have. Matter of fact, not just classic restoration, but even the purchasing
of a new vehicle off the showroom floor isn't even economicly viable! To hell
with driving the car off the lot, the moment you sign that contract you've just
devalued the car by 30%!

For James: If you do decide to part ways with your car, please do not part it
out. Consider first selling it to someone on the list here who will restore it.
However, if you do choose to rebuild it, then you will have a car that you will
never ever want to let go of. the payoff in the end will truly be great! Don't think
of this as the end of you car, think of it as the ultimate challenge for you and
your car. Will you accept, or walk away?

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:27:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: 001697 is no more, only if you give up.

I have received some E-mails calling me heartless for suggesting the
car be totaled. All I can say is if you think I'm heartless you
haven't yet dealt with your insurance company! To them it is dollars
and cents and if it is cheaper for them to total the car then to
repair it guess what, they cash you out (minus your deductible) and
now they own the car which they sell as salvage to recoup some of
their loss. Unless you got a classic car policy with generous terms
for repair they don't see these cars like we do. I recomend everyone
review their policys and become familiar with what will happen to them
under these circumstances before they occur. I don't advocate junking
any Deloreans but the facts of life are such that in some cases it is
not economically feasible to resurect any and all Deloreans. Each must
be decided case by case. If the car gets a salvage title in some
States it gets decided for you as now the car is unregisterable.

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:12:06 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

( modertors note:  It's fun to speculate but we're begining to come around full circle with some of the posts, not this one, and it's begining to dominate the list. I'm going to kill the subject for now unless there is specific information aout this happening. Right now it's based on nothing more than daydreams. )

The manufacturing if the underbody molds is no problem at all. 4 molds in
total are required to comprise the two sets: Top and Bottom.

The manufacturing process is just as simple. Drop some sheets of fiberglass,
and some foam for the structural beams, pump in resein, and apply a vacuum.
Next, pop out both molds, slap on some adhesive and staples, and let the
newly formed shell cure. Once done curing, cut out the windscreen and other
sections, and you've got a brand-new underbody ready to bolt onto a rolling
chassis! This is the exact same process that Lotus uses, except that they
would then primer and paint the car, where as a DMC-12 would simply have
its doors attached, and then the body panels mounted and aligned. Plus,
Lotus doesn't sell that many new Esprits either, and they can afford the molds.

The process at the factory was not so much different, as it was slightly
modified. But, that is because they were intended to be produced in a much
larger amount at a time. Differences in the process were running the
underbodies thru an oven in order to speed up the curing process, and
automated, high-pressure water jets that would cut out the nessisary panels
automaticly, and quickly.

The question though is wheather or not DMCH would need permission to
make these molds using this technology. Originally, GRP (Glass Reinforeced
Plastic) was the intended process/composite that was intended to make up
the underbody. However, GRP had not yet been used in an automotive
application, and was understanbly dropped in favor for VIRM (Vaccum
Injection Reservior Moulding) developed by Lotus Cars Ltd. If I'm wrong, then
someone please correct me on this, but as I read it, part of the engineering
fees paid out to Lotus also comprised of a license for use of the VIRM
technology. GRP was also licensed, and in the bankruptcy, I believe it's usage
license was sold off (there is a footnote that states the purchaser had applied
it to some other application, and was turning sales of $50M+). So my question
is what would have become of the VIRM liciense, and could it's effect possibly
hinder the development of the new car?