From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1271
Date: Monday, November 11, 2002 6:09 AM

1. Re: 001697 is no more, only if you give up.
From: "iqmpike" <iqmpike_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. DELOREAN SIGHTING
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

3. Re: RPM relay
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Re: Trade 4 Delorean
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: A number 7 fuse short circuit
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Re: 001697 is no more.
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

7. DeLorean Sound system
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

8. Re: Re: 001697 is no more,
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Noise Control
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

10. Re: Re: Binnacle and Dashboard
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. Re: 001697 is no more,
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

12. looking for the owner of 16938
From: "Andrei Cular" <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

13. Re: RPM relay
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

14. simple A/C compressor question
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. Ontario, Canada Delorean Owner
From: "dmc_driver" <richard.rowe_at_dml_sympatico.ca>

16. VIRM
From: "theshovel1224" <theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. DeLorean Car Show Memphis HELP
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:17:46 -0000
From: "iqmpike" <iqmpike_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 001697 is no more, only if you give up.

I use Hagerty... if anything would happen to mine - I get $50K, no
questions asked... or up to 50K in repairs.. they even pay to ship
it to houston or somewhere else if it has to be done... bad part
about that is the mileage limits they put on it...

On another note.. with a salvage title... we are all one big family
here... why not find someone in a state that WILL register a salvage
title... sell your car to them for $1, with your name on the title..
have them register the title in their state.... then have them sell
it back to you with a title from THEIR state, and you are back in
business... or drive it around with another state's tags on it.

mike

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:
> I have received some E-mails calling me heartless for suggesting
the
> car be totaled. All I can say is if you think I'm heartless you
> haven't yet dealt with your insurance company! To them it is
dollars
> and cents and if it is cheaper for them to total the car then to
> repair it guess what, they cash you out (minus your deductible)
and

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:30:30 -0500
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: DELOREAN SIGHTING

Wondering if any list member was traveling on I-95 in New Hamphire on
Saturday around 9:30-10:30 am?  Saw you heading Northbound.

Tom

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:28:01 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: RPM relay

Jerry, The RPM relay is turned on by the pulses from the pulse coil in the
distributor. The coil should read about 600 ohms cold and can go to 700 ohms
hot. It turns on the RPM when the engine starts to turn over.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
I have lots of info on the web site about them.

<< Can anyone tell me what picks the RPM relay?  I understand what keeps it
 picked, I just cannot find what picks it.
 The reason I ask is mine will not pick, but if I help it to pick it will
stay
 picked and the car runs fine.
 Oh I know, buy a new one and don't worry about it, unless the new one needs
 help to.  Most places will not take back electronic parts.  I would just
like
 to know where the pick comes from so I could check and clean, etc.
 Thanks
 Jerry
 V >>

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:33:02 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Trade 4 Delorean

Bill and Group, , I have a project car on the front page of my web site. It
cranks and runs. I also have at the other end of the price chain John Yersky
car for sale. He has been out of work for a while and asked If I would list
it.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

 I'm trying to sell and/or trade my 1998 Mitsubish 3000GT for a Delorean that
 I can "fix-up".  The KBB value of my 3000GT is ~10K.  Does anyone know the
 best place to find a DMC for this price range?  I'm willing to buy a
 "project" car and have the time/energy to deal with a car that needs a lot
 of work.  I simply don't have the 20K+ for one in good condition.

 Any ideas are appreciated.

 Thanks

 Bill

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:33:21 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: A number 7 fuse short circuit

There is no need to change the battery cables.  I am not sure if your "high
grade audio" means a high power amplifer.

If you are hooking a high power amplifier of 150 watts RMS total or higher,
you should run the amp feed wires directly to the battery by using the
correct gauge wires, usually a #6 minimum and higher, with a fuse in line
(series).  This way the amplifier, which is placing a high electrical demand,
will not burn up the OEM wires.  A #22 gauge wires will NOT handle the
amplifier's electrical demand. DO NOT be "wired for fire."

BTW. If you are using a high power amplifier, make sure your battery and
especially your alternator is up to par to supply the amplifier's demand at
full power draw and or with your A/C running.  With these two units running,
the standard OEM alternator, will not or will just barely supply the
electrical demand, thereby shorting the life of the alternator or your
battery.

I am presently deciding to replacing my high powered amplifier from a JL
Audio 300/4 to either a McIntosh MC404M, a Zapco 4.0 X, or a Sinfoni
Amplitude 120.4X for a better sound quality as audiophile quality and not the
"boom box" sound.

If you need more info, email me privately not to tie up the bandwidth of the
DML.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:06:28 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: 001697 is no more.

Just a word of caution about insurance companies "totaling" a car.

The scam they play is they claim that they are paying you for the "Full"
value of the car which was on your insurance policy.

However, once they settle the claim and get your car, they sell it on
the repair market and get substantial amounts of money for it.

In the case of a Damaged Delorean,  allot of people in the parts
business know that a parted out DeLorean can easily be worth more than
the whole car.

What this means, is that the insurance company will probably get $
4-5,000 for your car.  This also means that they really did not give the
full coverage that you paid for in your insurance.

Even if you don't fix the car, absolutely insist that you get the keep
the car.  Do not give it to them.  This is the only way you will get the
real value of the DeLorean..

I learned this lesson the hard way years ago when my first car got
"totalled" a  1969 camaro. :-(  Some drunk old man broadsided it.   They
told me it could not be fixed and they gave me $1500 for it.  And took
my car.  Later I found out through a title search that the car was
bought and repair and sold to two other people.  It disappeared in 1972
with no further information available. :-\

I just went through the same thing with my sons 75 Oldsmobile.  A 16
year old kid blew a stop sign and literally drove into the drivers rear.
 (He was on his cell phone! :-D ;-) )

Anyway, the kids insurance company Safeway ( not a nice company) tried
to total this air bag prototype vehicle.  Needless to say they did not
get the car and paid for the damages, but only after letting them known
that I know their game.

No car is every really totalled.  Only the costs to repair it exceed its
value. If you love your D like I do mine - I would fix it.

No one ever totals a Dusenburg or a real AC cobra.

B OB

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:26:29 -0500
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: DeLorean Sound system

Go with the McIntosh sound design. Mike DePalmer, John McEnroe's tennis coach, sold his 911 Twin Turbo to mt best friend Joseph. The preformance of thar system was exceptional. The "red-neck bass & vibrating windows" was pleasntly replaced with a true audiophiles dream. Smoothness throughout the high's & low's. I actually heard notes in music that I never heard before. The system is expensive as the head unit was $2,000, and the total sound design design was $9,200. Since the DeLorean's interior is similar in size to the Porsche 911, I think that a McIntosh design would really enchance the DeLorean.

Best Wishes,
Michael Pack
Columbia Maryland

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:00:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Bravo Robert Bravo!

I love reading email like that! That is the perfect
idea there. Absolutely well said. I disagree with the
parting out of DeLoreans as well. All I know is when
you work on your D yourself, there is a special bond
that happens. The more you work the more you love it!
But this whole thing does bring up a good point. I
think it is important for every DeLorean owner to
re-evaluate there insurance policies and  make sure
that these insurance companys are not going to rape
you of your D if this ever happens. Insurance companys
have to much power over what happens. From the time
you take out your policy there telling you what your
car is worth and when the time comes to use your
policy there telling you what is going to happen. Did
I miss something or are we "the owners" paying the
insurance company to work for us? since when did your
employee tell you what to do? I just think every D
owner needs to protect themselves from this form of
highway robbery, no punt intended.  Get what ever type
of insurance you need to protect your dream. Make sure
you have the decition to take the money and run or
take your car home and save her. a cheap policy in the
long run is not always better because what you save
today may cost you tomorrow.

Todd
Vin 5386

=====
For up to the minute details on the restoration of Vin5386 point your browser to, http://www.khpindustries.com/stainlessrestorations.html

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:08:42 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Noise Control

Hi Dave

For the past few weeks (prior to the NEC show here in England) my girlfriend and I have been covering the inside of the rear portion of my car with Dynamat Extreme (TM :-)

[I should point out that I have nothing to gain by promoting this stuff :-)]

If you look Dynamat up on Google you'll turn up god knows how many sites/reviews/vendors etc, but two things consistently appear

1) It's by far the best product of it's type
2) It's by far the most expensive....

BUT. Go to eBay and type Dynamat and you'll turn up several places selling boxes of 9 sheets of Dynamat Extreme for just over $100. (be wary of imitations) At this price it was worth getting a box shipped internationally! We removed the interior rear quarters (replaced rear speakers) and covered the whole of the inside of the underbody in
the rear quarters, the wooden board behind the seats, the back board under the rear windscreen, and a whole sheet went down on the centre console right up to the gearshift. Verity also removed the original foamy crappy stuff on the parcel shelf in the middle, and we built it back up with 2 layers of Dynamat Extreme (which is shiny silver)
and fininshed it off with a single layer of original black rubber Dynamat. The difference on the long cruise up to Birmingham was fantastic. You can still hear the engine but it's not invasive and most of the noise now comes from the doors!

Ever since I got my car, it has been unusually noisy even for a DeLorean - now it's unusually quiet.

BTW do you have the hole under the change tray for access to the top of the fuel accumulator - this is a huge source of noise, but not all cars have it

Best Wishes

Martin
#1458 (the car in question)

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:25:47 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Binnacle and Dashboard

http://www.delorean.co.uk/pictures/DSCN0417.jpg (the wonky plastic surround was my fault)

And more info at

www.cix.co.uk/~mgutkowski/trim.doc (800k)

This was done by The Interior Trim Company in Belfast. It's a matching PVC, and has
stitching around the instruments, but crucially it a flush fit all around the front where
it meets the dashboard. It's softer now than a stock one, and most people agree that
though different, is every bit as good if not better than original.

(also some shots of recovered seats in full leather in that document - mine are the black
ones).

My dash, centre console and upper door trims are getting done when I have the spondoolies
- for now 4426's engine comes first.

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:38:07 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: 001697 is no more,

Actually it is always your choice.
If the car is totaled, and they decide to pay you 'the full value of
the car' then you ALWAYS have the option to keep the scrap...
However they can then take the value of the scrap away from your
settlement.
It's kinda a catch 22 on thier part in this case.
They can hardly come back and say the scrap is worth 5k + if they
were only going to give you 10-14k for the whole car. It would be
undermining thier statement that the repairs outwiegh the value of
the car.

If they treat the settlement like any ol 80s car... they have to
treat the scrap like that too.
Trust me guys, they won't be keeping the scrap. Even if they wanted
2k for the scrap I could make that back in the stainless alone
nearly (not saying I'm parting her out... nor am I saying I'm
not.... yet)
Also you always have the last say in where and how it will be fixxed.

I appreciate all your suggestions, and help... and keep em coming
considering repairs. But I'm an insurance agent... I have my ass
covered in that department :P

James L 001697

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:37:06 -0500
From: "Andrei Cular" <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: looking for the owner of 16938

I came across 16938 today.  The car is sitting at a shop in Cape Coral FL.
It has the DMC stripe on the sides and a sticker in the window that says
Delorean Quality Assurance.  And from what I could see from under the car it
is missing the muffler and intake.

If the owner is on the list please email me privatly.

Andrei

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:43:14 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:07:11 EST, Heydudetoo_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what picks the RPM relay?  I understand
> what keeps it picked, I just cannot find what picks it.

The RPM relay "picks" as you say on the signal from the distributor
pulse coil. If this signal is not there, your tachometer will not
work either as it uses the same signal.

> The reason I ask is mine will not pick, but if I help it to pick
> it will stay  picked and the car runs fine.

The little relay inside is probably worn out; I had the same on mine.
Instead of replacing the entire (expensive) unit, I went looking
for a replacement relay, but couldn't find anything that would fit.
So I made an external relay: <http://members.home.nl/delorean/rpm/>

When you decide to do this too, make sure you put in a bridge between
the point where the relay was. You can see it in one of my pictures;
it's a grey wire. The blue ones feed the coil, the green ones switch
the pump and Frequency Valve thingy...

Hope this helps,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:14:28 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: simple A/C compressor question

Hey all,

i'm working adjusting my valves and i have a few questions - each one is in a
seperate email as per the rules.

first question is....
if i remove the A/C compressor lines from the compressor, do i need to
evacuate the system first?  i would think there should be some kind of valve
that would allow you to remove the lines from the back of the comp for
compressor service.  i want to get that thing out of the way so i can take
the DS valve cover off.

you can respond to me personally.  thanks!
Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 02:46:17 -0000
From: "dmc_driver" <richard.rowe_at_dml_sympatico.ca>
Subject: Ontario, Canada Delorean Owner

Greetings to all DML members.  I am a proud new owner of a Delorean in
Ontario, Canada.  After 21 years of dreaming about driving one of
these beautiful machines, I finally bought an '81 last July in
Toronto.  After driving my "D" daily during the summer, getting behind
the wheel of my "normal" vehicle is really boring.  I'm sure you all
know what I mean!

Unfortunately, winter is here so it's time to park my Delorean to
avoid exposing her to snow, slippery icy roads, and worst of all, the
salt that is put on the roads during the winter.  Although my "D" is
certified and  road-worthy, she is far from being in "pristine"
condition.  I would like to have a good restoration job done this
winter to bring her up to the condition she truly deserves to be in.
My first thought was to ship the car to DMC-Houston, but due to the
U.S./Canadian dollar exchange rate and shipping costs, I was wondering
if there are any good shops that have experience with Deloreans right
here in Ontario.  I'm sure there must be other Canadian Delorean
owners in this list who are in Ontario.  Where did you take your cars
for servicing?  I checked out a shop in Bradford this weekend that
looks promising, but surely there must be others.  Thanks in advance
for your replies.

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:20:26 -0000
From: "theshovel1224" <theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: VIRM

Just to clear something up here, for everbody's information, there is
no such thing as VIRM.
There is ERM and there is VARI.
ERM stands for Elastic reservoir molding.  ERM was the process owned
by DMC originally to be used in the production of the underbody.
VARI stands for Vacuum Assisted Resin Injection.  VARI was owned by
Lotus and was used to make the underbody for the production DeLorean.

John Yeoman

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 22:57:15 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Memphis HELP

As many of you know I spent a lot of time at the show running around making
everything goes right and never got a chance to see much.  Well I was looking
at some of the videos that a few of you sent in and a few things that are
missing that I would like to see if anyone out there has it.

1.  The full version of the stage show on Friday Night (Hollywood casino)
I have a few bits of the kids dance and a few dances but little of Rick
Jeffreys or George Crane and I would not mind a few more of my kids on stage.

2. Ryan Pelton and Ci Ci at the car show Saturday in the afternoon I have
none of that

3.  The formation of the letters D M C on the lawn

If anyone has these could I please get a copy

Thanks

Finally getting to see Graceland