From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1272
Date: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 6:44 AM

1. Re: Re: Trade 4 Delorean
From: TOM RIMKUS <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: DeLorean Sound system
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: 001697 is no more, Don't let your dream die!
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: Re: 001697 is no more,
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

5. RE: Fan Fail
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

6. RE: Fan Fail
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

7. Re: Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

8. RE: Re: Hand Built DeLoreans
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

9. RE: Noise Control
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

10. RE: Binacle and Dashboard
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

11. RE: simple A/C compressor question
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

12. Re: simple A/C compressor question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Uk Classic Car show
From: "Chris Parnham" <cp_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. RE: Fan Fail
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. DeLorean keyed
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Fascia Alignment
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

17. Cincinnati DeLoreans
From: P12C16_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: 001697 is no more, Don't let your dream die!
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. 1697 update and pics
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

20. DMC Houston
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:33:58 -0800 (PST)
From: TOM RIMKUS <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Trade 4 Delorean

Bill,
Where are you located?

Regards,
Tom

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:51:20 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Sound system

Mike:

Thanks for the tip.  The Porsche's interior is slightly larger and changing
its interior is not as critical as our older classic DeLorean.

I may go with the Sinfoni amplifier due to the slightly smaller size and it
will fit into the DeLorean cabin without major modifications to mount and to
hide it.  The McIntosh Amp is larger and it cannot be hidden as easily.  It
will requires major changes to the cabin's interior to have it mounted and to
hide it in the DeLorean.

Both amps are the same price and both sound quality are audiophile quality
(possibly the Sinfoni will edge out a little better in transparency and
detail).  So, lets see what happens this week as to the direction in the
choice of these two amps.

Kayo

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:31:49 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 001697 is no more, Don't let your dream die!

Todd,
I am one of those people who have made money on Deloreans.  I bought
a fire damaged D a couple months ago and parted her out.  Sure, if I
was Bill Gates I could have fixed her, but instead I have help put 3
cars in Europe and 2 cars in the US back on the road.  And if James
is interested in putting 1697 back on the road, I can help with that
too.
there is a point when a Delorean turns into a parts car.  sure, i've
made some money selling parts.  I've used that money to buy other
parts for my car, I've help a lot of people get their cars back on
the road (very rewarding), and I've made some pretty good friends
while doing it all.
On a side note, my dad and I bought our trailer with parts
money....the trailer that brought you your Delorean.  See, it's even
helped you live the dream.
Taking a perfectly good, or restorable delorean and parting it out
is wrong, in my opinion...but it's just that....my opinion.

Take care,
Erik

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Oh James Im so sorry! I just got done reading your
> LaLonde email. I feel really bad :(
>
> James this brings up a good point with all this "hand
> built delorean" stuff going around.
>
> If I was you I would not let 1697 die. Yeah I know I'm
> crazy with saveing DeLoreans but oh well. Anything can
> be saved, I will prove this in years to come. But as
> bad as it looks now it can be fixed. I know everyone
> is gonna scream "part it out" and put out there hands
> in favor of grabing some cheap parts off ebay. That is
> really sickening to me. We need to concentrate on the
> Ds out there right now and not worry about building
> new ones. Repare, refurbish and rescue these hurt
> DeLoreans. Part of the dream is preserving the dream
> as well. When a fellow Vin falls we need to remember
> to not abandone her but save her from the freaks who
> want to chop her up into tiny pieces and make money. I
> am sorry but I DO NOT BELIEVE IN MAKEING MONEY OFF A
> DELOREAN! No Way no how! call me stupid or an idiot,
> but if you want to go make money go get a job. I don't
> want anyone to email me either with your reasons to
> turn a fast buck because I don't wanna hear it!
>
> Lets all help James out here. Lets give him the
> support and the advice to take 1697 and save her and
> James' dream. I'm behind you 100% anything you need
> just let me know! I don't want to see your dream die,
> lets all help and save her.
>
> Todd
> Vin 5386
>

> =====
> For up to the minute details on the restoration of Vin5386 point
your browser to,
http://www.khpindustries.com/stainlessrestorations.html

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:22:06 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Re: 001697 is no more,

Insurance regulations change from state to state, but here is my experience..

On my 1990 Taurus SHO, I hit a deer last year.  The air bag deployed, and I had damage to the hood, headlight, grille, and a few other small parts in the area.  The fenders and windshield were unharmed.

The estimate of repair was in the $2K - $3K range. The insurance company decided to total the car.  They offered me $1800 for the car.

Rule #1..  NEVER take the first offer!  The insurance adjusters job is to give you as little money as possible, and for every day they negotiate with you they are paying storage fees on your car.  This is especially helpful if your making the claim against the other drivers insurance company (in my case, the deer was uninsured).  After VERY little negotiation (I demanded they use NADA/Blue Book value and not their TRW report, and pointed out that they were responsible for all costs in removing my custom stereo system and installing in my new car) they sent me a check for... well... more than twice their initial offer.

I purchased the "salvage" for $75.  They were glad to not have to deal with storage fees, and towing, and whatnot.  Because they never got my title, they did NOT have it classified as "salvage".  This is typical if you keep the salvage.

You may get lucky, and they wont charge you too much for the salvage of your DeLorean.. However, I doubt it will be numbers in the $5000 range.  Depending on your policy, they will pay you the real value to REPLACE the car.  So, if you want to use that money to fix your old one you should have enough (Maybe even make a profit, like I did!).  BTW, the front of the frame (crumple zone) can be replaced.  See http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=30

The SHO was repaired for under $1000, and I still drive it today with a clean title.

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:32:31 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Fan Fail

New problem for me...

When I start my D, the cooling fan goes on as soon as it starts and the fan
fail light goes on.  After running for a minute it goes off and every once
and a while the fan fail flashes on and then off.  After it is warmed up,
the problem seems to go away.....

Any ideas what to look for?

Kind Regards,

Jack

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:22:07 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

Do you still have the stock fan fail module?

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:20:31 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Hand Built DeLoreans

Just another thought about rebuilding Delorean.

Let say you have almost all the parts to build 300 Deloreans.  At the
current rate these parts are selling (about 1% per year) that's 300
years.  The cost to keep them in storage and finance these parts
increases their cost 5-10% per year.  Since the market will not likely
support continuing price escalation of these parts, the only logical
choice is to put some of them together as new cars.

Clearly, there are hundreds of titles of wrecked Deloreans that could be
resurrected.  This is done with old VWs in mexico.  All the parts for
these are reproduced.  All these do in put on your old VIN number.   It
is totally legal.  There are people who import these as "New" Old
Beetles. Cost $10-15K.

If DMCH does not do this, they would loose money in the long run on
having this huge inventory.
Plus they would have to repro a number of parts to make this happened.
Isn't that what we all really want.

I think we should support them and collect as many lost titles as
possible.  I know of a few already.

BOB

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:44:38 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

If your talking about the car at Straub in Keyport NJ, it was sold a few (2 or 3) years back.

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:37:30 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Noise Control

I put some of the sound foam under the center console  This made a significant improvement.

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:47:49 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Binacle and Dashboard

I had a local upholstery shop do mine.  I am very happy with the results.

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:27:33 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: simple A/C compressor question

YES.  If you remove any of the AC lines, all of the Freon will be lost!!

If your running R12, this could prove to be a EXPENSIVE mistake.  Take the car to a trusted AC mechanic, and have them "recover" the Freon for you first.  After your work is done, you should quickly evacuate the system of air (leaving air in the system for an extended period of time will damage the dryer) and then bring the car back to the shop to have your Freon replaced.

When choosing a shop, use one that tests all Freon!  Most of the AC shops I have seen do not test systems before evacuating them and as a result contaminate their storage unit... which then contaminates all of the systems they pump the stuff back in to.

Moral of the story:  Don't remove the AC lines unless you have to.  I removed the engine from #06068 without disturbing the AC lines.  The only time I think you would need to open the AC system is to actually work on the AC!

<SNIP>

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:08:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You don't need to disconnect the hoses from the compressor. Just
unbolt the compressor from the mounts and move it out of the way
toward the side of the car. Don't make a big job bigger by fussing
with the A/C. Not only MUST you remove and capture the R-12, you will
have to vacuum the system down to reinstall it. There is always the
risk of leaks and contamination. If you have to wrap it in a rag and
wire it out of the way but you should be able to do this without
disconnecting it.

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:50:58 -0000
From: "Chris Parnham" <cp_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Uk Classic Car show

 Mainly for UK members, but please fell free........

The NEC is the UK's Biggest National Classic Car Show,

Well,

Its a good job I'm not at work today!  After three days of hectic DeLorean
activities!

What a belta of a NEC show!  The best yet I think!

Thanks to all who helped.

 Mark, Like me did 3 full days, Dave Howarth, despite horrendous domestic
problems was there at the start and the finish.
Mary  and Claire were doing great guns selling all sorts of club goodies,
everything from base ball caps to BTTF models sold out completely.
Many members spent loads of time showing the thousands of visitors our cars
and explaining the finer points of DeLorean Ownership.

James Esprey (and his beautiful lady companion)  brought vast quantities of
eagerly awaited spares in their hand luggage for us! And a few copies of his
house magazine, that were eagerly seized upon! We were able to exchange lots
of "Lotus" information....Watch this space!

Chris Nicholson ( our very own Stainless Steel / Aluminium expert) and his
family were able to see for themselves, the tremendous interest that the new
BTTF car aroused. Many club members were particularly impressed with the
extent of the "Detailing" on, 111 mile 83 car.
 Despite a notice to the contry, many members of the public were heard to
say "that's the one they used in the film you know"! It caused an enormous
amount of interest, especially amongst the younger visitors.....club members
of members of the future?

I was persuaded on several occasions to start the car, for a few seconds, to
let folk hear the extraordinary sound of the exhaust note!  Dave Howarth's
comment was "It sound like a DeLorean with hairs on its chest"!  Well put
Dave! Mike Hooper and crew looked on in alarm, convinced the show organisers
would cause a fuss and kick us out!

Speaking of new young, owner members, the latest recruit is just 6 years
old!  And its a Turbo car! Sorry Darren C, you are almost a pensioner now
being 17 year old Right Hand Drive owner!

Even our retired Club founder, Simon Lees-Milne showed up and provided a
copy of the 5 minute BBC video featuring our very own female gardening
beauty and DeLorean fan, "Charlie" Dimmock, throwing Simons ( now Paul's)
car around a deserted airfield track. As this programme was never aired,
this footage is unique and is now being digitised by Richard for
distribution to club members.

I must apologise to some club members, who I saw looking on, but just could
not get to them to have a quick word. I did try!

Again, a heart felt thank you for the support and help provided by Club
Members and friends.

Your Honourable Secretary,

Chris Parnham  DOC UK

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:00:54 -0500
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Marc:

The fan fail module can not cause the fan to come on when it shouldn't.
It's supremely good as stopping one or both working when they should, but
that's not how the problem's described.

Jack:

1) Replace the fan fail module with fused jumper wires
2) Replace the fan relay
3) Try replacing the cooling fan thermostat

This diagram may help

http://www.deloreanparts.com/zilla_010.htm

No doubt there will be several prompts for you to buy a FanZilla. The way
you describe the problem of the fans coming one when you first start the
car, something else is wrong that the FanZilla will not fix.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:18:35 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean keyed

I live in a city where people often key cars for no reason other than they can.What repair will I be able to do if someone keys my D in a parking lot?Will it buff out easily or not?

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:46:35 EST
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Fascia Alignment

Hi List,
     I finally picked up my repainted fascias from the body shop today. It
cost nearly $650.00 but they turned out very well.  The front fascia was very
poorly aligned when I first got the car so I want to correct this when
reinstalling the repainted one.  The gap between the front of the fender and
the fascia was very large.  I see that on most DeLoreans there is literally
no gap between the fascia and the fender.  Even if I put pressure on the
front of the fascia to close the gap it wont seem to get much smaller.  There
there doesnt seem to be any adjustment for this type of front/back movement
on the front fascia.  Has anyone else ever had this problem?  I have already
tried moving the brackets and the front fender but there is still a little
gap.  All my friends say to leave it alone and that no one would notice it
but me...but I'd really like to figure it out.  The judge in Memphis even
pointed out to me that the fascia didnt fit well;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave,
Rockford, MI

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:31:51 EST
From: P12C16_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Cincinnati DeLoreans

Hey there guys and girls,
    I was wondering if anyone here is thinking of selling a DeLorean in
Cincinnati, OH?  If so, please email me privately at P12C16(at)aol.com.  It
doesn't matter what the condition of the car is.

Thanks!
Patrick

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:58:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

oviously a Fire damaged D could possibly be parted out
if it is beyond a certain condition. But I still hold
to my original ideals that I don't believe in parting
out DeLoreans. What everyone does is there right with
there cars, but I simply do not believe in it. There
are sides to every spectrum. And Im not pointing a
finger at anyone who has profited from anything
related to the DeLorean, and yes your trailer did
bring my D here, and thats pretty ovious. The fact in
hand is this, People need to be aware of the actual
definition of a "parts car" most people don't know
what that is though. If Godzilla stepped on your car
Id say it's pretty much a parts car if anything
survived. I'll go out on a limb and say if 80% of the
car is destroyed there's just nothing to work with,
You have to have something to start with. If you found
a piece of a pontoon in the woods like in the pics you
sent me then thats pretty much not worth it in my
book, unless you have nothing better to do and own
stock in crazy glue or something. No one is going to
say this is a parts car and this is a project car,
it's all in the eye of the beholder. hauling and
selling parts is not in the catoagory of Making a
profit off of DeLoreans I was refering to the people
that rape cars for parts to turn a fast buck when the
car is in a project condition. There are plenty of
parts as last weeks thread on the subject reveled.
It's just my opinion that people should know the
difference. If Im wrong then I lost the moral behind
School house rock, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Todd
Vin 5386

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:38:09 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: 1697 update and pics

Well bad news...
upon closer inspection it looks like the damage was substantial
enough to perhaps total the car. No word from Metlife yet... but I
think they'll scrap her. I will be keeping the salvage regardless.

From there my two choices are A) look into repairing her or B) buy
another DeLorean, and restore it from 1697's parts, and then part-out
the rest of 1697. Perhaps there's a way that I can sell 1697's vin
plates or frame or engine or whathaveyou..... basically sell her in
enough of one piece to keep the vin alive...
but unfortunatly that may not come to fruitation. She may be fully
dead.
Be you own judge, fellas;

http://www.rock-n-horse.com/1697/

The windshield was, in fact, cracked on the passenger side.

sigh.....

James 1697

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:36:52 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: DMC Houston

Well Marc and everybody,
My previous statements hold true about commercialism and DMCH...but
i view it in a whole new light now.

I spoke with Steve Wynne this evening about the repairs to my car,
and it was the polar opposite to previous experiences I've had with
DMCH. He was knowledgable, caring and gave me lots of options and
figures to mash around in my wreck-rattled brain.
It's now a matter of time frame.. who can do it quicker. Grady or
Houston.
And baring that I guess I'll have to base my decision on accent...
New Yorker or European/australian (sorry Steve I can never tell.. I
guess all us yanks sound alike to you huh? :P  ).

Armed with good customer service and friendly knowledgable help such
a Mr Wynne's... DMCH commercialism takes on the light of a robust
and successful business that is still grounded in the care and
wellbeing of the cars and owners.

Rob Grady, this diminishes your great establishment by nothing,...
it does make it harder to decide who to patronize!

Lets all thank all of our venders simply for extisting to help out
in terrible situations such as my own.

THANKS!
James  1697