From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1274
Date: Thursday, November 14, 2002 6:31 AM

From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Fedeli, Joe" <paa5072_at_dml_dscp.dla.mil>

From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: Nigel C Beatson <nbeatson1_at_dml_orange.net>

From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

10. Non running car
From: "Chris Parnham" <cp_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. Rough idle
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:20:27 -0800
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: Payne Re: Sticky throttle

> doesn't care about vacuum. Does care about signal from its own
> computer (behind driver's seat). Did you wire the new plug correctly?
> Your motor could be bad, or the computer could be sending bad signals.

I kept the modification of the idle speed motor plug in my car at this time.
I did make it more reliable, but I'll hold off on the adventure of doing it
properly.  The idle speed motor seems to be working normally with it's
alternate mystery power source.

My sticky throttle was the least of my problems today.  I had a bad ground
at the frequency valve and it wasn't functioning, leaving me stranded at
work.  Big thanks to Rob Grady for helping me with that one.  Now that it's
running again, I still have my rough idle and surprisingly the sticky
throttle at 1,400 RPMs has made my sitting at stoplights much more
enjoyable.  I've tried to lubricate it, but it seems to be ineffective.  I
think it may be sticking in the drivers footwell and since the opening is
facing upward I can't get any lubricant in.  Is there a better way to do
this that I'm overlooking?  I just sprayed the heck out of both ends and
I'll see how it works tomorrow. (I cling to false hope)

> remember: leak could also be at manifold itself (don't overlook the U
> pipes -- didn't you just replace those gaskets? You've also got O
> rings where the pipes meet the upper air assembly) or under the fuel
> distributor. If you can't hear it hissing, use a can of carburetor
> cleaner (with a straw for precise spray) to test every possible
> source. Engine will rev up briefly when the carb cleaner hit it.
> Vacuum also runs to dash to operate ductwork -- plug that line in the
> engine compartment for easier diagnosis.

I did replace the gaskets and O-rings on the "W" pipe.  I want to wait until
I can get my throttle to act normally before I attempt anymore diagnosis.
It's not bad, but the rough idle can get annoying.  I just did a tune up and
all of my injector tips seemed very clean.  Oh well, one thing at a time.  I
still absolutely love my car!

payne

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:00:53 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Sticky throttle

The throttle cable should be lubricated with anti-freeze and water as
per the recall. If the throttle doesn't return to idle and hit the
idle switch then the engine will never idle at the correct speed.
There are many settings and adjustments that must be done correctly to
get the engine to idle correctly. Make sure that when you take your
foot off the accelerater the throttle hits the micro switch and the 3
brass screws are lightly seated closed. If it won't idle right like
that there are a lot of things that will need to be done to get it
idling right. Setting up the idle on the K Jetronic is hard if you
don't understand all the things going on. The idle is automatically
compensated by the idle ECU and idle motor if everything else is
right.

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:07:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: which way to turn engine?

The easiest way (for me anyway) is to just make sure that whenever you
adjust 1 valve in a cylinder the other is open. This way the one you
are adjusting MUST be closed as both valves are not open at the same
time. (not counting overlap so just make sure the valve is open
enough). You will find most of the valves won't need any adjustment,
typically only 1 or 2 will need only a little. If you find any way off
then make sure the other valve in the cylinder is really open!
Remember to reset the Lambda counter when through and replace the O2
sensor. Lift the button on the inertia switch to keep the fuel pump
off when cranking the motor. Don't forget to reset when done!

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:50:43 -0500
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Magazine

Thanks to all of you that submitted articles for the magazine.  We are beginning to edit the magazine and since this is the first time we are doing it we are not sure how long it wil take  but so far things have been going well.

The Deadline has passed but if you still want to get an article in please send it we will use it in the next issue.

We have been asked when are we going to have it ready.

It should be shortly and in about 2 weeks we will be posting to the web page "deloreancarshow.com" information on where and how to get the magazine.

Thanks for you patience.  It is a real challenge since we really hadn't decided until Sept to do a magazine.  We do plan to have the magazines in hand prior to accepting payment for them.  That way you can count on prompt delivery.

Thanks

ken

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:30:29 -0500
From: "Fedeli, Joe" <paa5072_at_dml_dscp.dla.mil>
Subject: DeLorean's DO scratch when keyed

To those that hopefully will NEVER experience the problem of having their
DeLorean keyed.  Mine was when only 9 months old along the entire passenger
side door.  Unrepairable, contrary to initial replies from body shops and
the insurance man to the repairability.  When they tried to repair, all gave
up...I eventually had to sue my insurance company for breach of contract and
won in court as their repair person cited that only a 'fill and paint' would
resolve.  I guess if you have a painted DeLorean, it's repairable, but not a
SS one if deep.  My scratch is about 2+ feet long and deep crossing over the
brushed finish.  Maybe techniques have changed since 1982 in the repair of
SS?  Mine's still visible and I was paid for a new door skin.

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:00:09 -0500
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Steering column bushing replacement

Since I have come to the conclusion, thanks to all the great help on the DML, that my column bushing is the culprit of my steering column rattling, I would like to try and do the labor myself, with a friend's help.  My friend would be more mechanically inclined than I am, but is not a mechanic.  Would the replacement process be too difficult for us to handle?

If not, could someone please provide me basic walk-through in e-mail, from removing the steering wheel to putting it all back together again?  If you can help, please send an e-mail to RJRavalli_at_dml_aol.com.  Does anyone here have experience doing this?

Thank you for any help,

Richard

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:56:27 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Brandon, Looks like your still fighting fast Idle.To much air or throttle
sticking. It's tough sometimes getting the dirt or gunk out of the cable, but
if you just keep working with it will come loose. Just make sure the bottom
screw on the throttle body lever is going all the way down. A spring may be
helpful until you can get the cable right. As for the O rings. I have a kit
of all the O rings and washers that are the most common. Even if you don't
buy it. Look at the kit as a reminder of them. The main one would be under
the fuel distributor and the brass pipe going into the bottom of the air flow
meter body.
Hope this helps
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
  http://www.specialtauto.com/images/o-ring-assort.jpg

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:49:27 GMT
From: Nigel C Beatson <nbeatson1_at_dml_orange.net>
Subject: Re: Binacle and Dashboard

I have recently finished recovering the dashboard and the binnacle
(both were badly split and faded through sunlight). I covered the
dashboard in leatherette vinyl which closely matches the appearance of
the original dashboard but gives a slightly padded feel to it. The
hardest part was removal and refitting of the dashboard. The binnacle
I've recovered in Alacantra. It took a couple of attempts to get a
result I'm happy with, and having a sister with an industrial sewing
was a big help.

Nigel

vin 02677
license plate DOC 16V

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:23:20 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean for Sale in NJ

In a message dated 11/12/02 3:12:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
delorean_at_dml_abato.net writes:

> My car I'm putting up for sale is a 1981 Delorean-

I don't know this car, but I could go for a look if someone has an interest,
since it's about 20 minutes from me, in Millville, NJ  (South Jersey).

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:18:31 -0000
From: "Chris Parnham" <cp_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Non running car

A quick thank you to all the people who responded to my request for help
last week.

I thought the problem was fuel, indeed I found a loose/ hard wire on the top
of the fuel pump, plus a partially kinked fuel pick up pipe ( I made and
inserted a spring).

My main problem was, I trying to do the job on my own, and couldn't be
turning the car over and observing either the fuel pump of spark plugs at
the same time!

My fault was a simple part unplugged yellow socket in the coil area!
Obviously knocked when fitting the new BTTF gear.   All working fine now,
sounds like a V8 with its new extra noisy S/S exhaust system!

Chris P DOC UK

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:10:34 -0800
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Rough idle

My car has developed a rough idle that has been most annoying.  It sits
around 850 RPMs, and I know my idle speed motor is working.  When it's at
this engine speed, it almost sounds like a distant helicopter.  By that I'm
assuming it's not firing correctly on one cylinder at idle.  It doesn't feel
like a completely dead cylinder, as when I'm driving it has all the power it
used to.  I can rev it up and the engine sounds very smooth and quiet.

The injectors open by pressure, correct?  Hypothetically, if I had a
partially clogged one, would the pressure put through it at idle be low
enough so it wouldn't open?  I heard a while back of someone having this
same problem.  I do have all new plugs and wires, so my next area to look is
the fuel system.  The car feels great on the road, I just wish the idle
wasn't so shaky.

Thank you all!

payne