From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1279
Date: Monday, November 18, 2002 5:55 AM

1. Re: binnacle recover in NJ
From: "Marcel Bourgon" <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

2. Re: Re: Setting Fuelling - Why does the DMC PRV Hunt? [long]
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

3. valve cover pic
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

4. Today was a good day!!!
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:18:19 -0700
From: "Marcel Bourgon" <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: binnacle recover in NJ

Greetings from El Paso
Also curious about the dash recovering.  How much and where are these guys.
Did you send them the pieces or did you just take car over
Marcel 1981
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 23:43:00 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Setting Fuelling - Why does the DMC PRV Hunt? [long]

Hi David - replies inserted.

David Teitelbaum wrote:

>  All of the
> cylinders of the engine must fire equally with very nearly the same
> compression, spark plug gap, and injector settings. If any cylinder is
> different from the other it causes the idle motor to try to compensate
> resulting in "overshoot". By the time the correction kicks in the
> engine is on another cylinder and now it is too fast so the idle motor
> tries to slow it down, hence the hunting.

If this were the case, the idle "hunt" would occur near enough once every rev of the
engine - more like a diesel does (the "galloping horse" syndrome). I am not convinced of
this given the *extremely* low mileage DeLoreans that ALL do it. I'm no expert, but
Darren IS and categorically told me that Renault 25's, complete with the same idlespeed
system and the 2458cc (from memory) PRV, do not hunt. It can't just be down to tiny
adjustments that can go out of wack causing the hunt, or you'd get more Renaults and
Volvos doing it, surely?

> You also have the lambda
> cycling up and down so when these 2 functions overlap the hunting is
> even more noticeable.

Actually I said that mine stops hunting when the lambda system kicks in, and on asking
other club members, this is the case with them too.

> The first thing I
> would suggest is a compression test, if the cylinders are not within
> 10% (5% is better) then you will never get it smooth. Clean and regap
> the plugs to .028, replace the ignition wires, clean the fuel
> injectors, fix all of the vacuum leaks, and now you can begin to get
> it smooth.

My query was in relation to building my new engine, and establishing the theory before
Darren (a very knowledgable PRV guy) builds one to DMC spec. He turned up evidence that
the DMC workshop manual is WRONG, and the hunting charachteristics of just about all
DeLoreans (even those still factory-fresh cars) being the main symptom. I am drawing my
own conclusions about this - thanks for your input, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 15:45:19 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: valve cover pic

Hey all,

i just had my valve covers and control pressure regulator glassbeaded and
painted. check out the pic under 'intake manifold' in the files section - i
had them done the same way i had the intake and themostat housing.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: The images are actually under the Photos section and not under the Files section as indicated.]

Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:49:23 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>
Subject: Today was a good day!!!

Well

Today I managed to get out in my D for the first time since I did one or two
small jobs....

I've re-bushed the front suspension, new front wheel bearings and a set of
Toby TABS' and the result.... well lets say it could have been a different
car.

Not one clonk, squeek or rattle going around corners fast or slow, and the
irritating wheel wobble has gone too.

Happy man.

Oh and you may have guessed I now have my new Drivers side torsion bar in
the car courtesy of John Hervey ( Thanks John ) 3 days from door to door
over the Atlantic.

One other job I did last night was to strip the engine to get to a leak in
the heater pipe work, the small metal one that runs from the water pump to
the rubber pipe that runs forward, So that was metering head and inlet
manifold off and all back together again in 3 1/2 hours.

Resulting in a better idle too, must have cleared a vacuum leak in the
process.

BKZ gets better by the week.

Cheers all