From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1283
Date: Friday, November 22, 2002 6:33 AM

1. Re: New to the group
From: boy1der18_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Refinishiung the Glove Box Lid
From: "Classified" <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. engine stamping pits can you fill them?
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: engine stamping pits can you fill them?
From: Paul Salsbury <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

5. RE: engine stamping pits can you fill them?
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

6. Re: engine stamping pits can you fill them?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: New to the group
From: "John Gedeon" <johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: engine stamping pits can you fill them?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Re: Refinishiung the Glove Box Lid
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

10. License Plate suggestions
From: "mparish.ga" <mparish.ga_at_dml_netzero.net>

11. diagnostic socket
From: "edherrmann" <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. wanted delorean
From: "Tyler Vignoli" <jvignoli_at_dml_snet.net>

13. Re: License Plate suggestions
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

14. Re: wanted delorean
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

15. Re: License Plate suggestions
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:28:24 -0500
From: boy1der18_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New to the group

John,

I am a Delorean technician and have a shop opening this January in Prescott Valley, AZ.  If you want to stay closer to home, I'd recommed Don Steger at DeLorean Motor Center in Garden Grove.  www.deloreanmotorcenter.com

Take care,

Ryan

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:20:26 -0000
From: "Classified" <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Refinishiung the Glove Box Lid

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., doctorDHD_at_dml_a... wrote:
...The question
> I have is about the glove box lid whisch I am deciding just how to
complete.
> Has anyone refinished this themselves?  Has anyone drilled out the
pop
> rivets?  How would I be able to reassemble it?
>
> Dave
> 6530

Dave,

I am in the process of getting my whole interrior redone...but I
decided to recover everything in black leather. Lets face it, not
too many Deloreans out there left, so when you do get that
fascinated Delorean groupie why not and impress them? I have a brand
new "German" car and the whole interrior is leather. The way it
feels and smells you just cant beat the quality! Believe me, spend
the extra cash, wait the extra couple months, whatever it takes just
make it "real" not the vinyl crap. Its meant to resemble leather
isn't it?

Anyways, I just replaced the rearview mirror with the temp and
compas, auto dim w/ reading lights all built in, which looks
awesome, sporty and up to date. Mirror is Gentex $180 brand new on e-
Bay! It was worth it, believe me. I finally got the MOMO Trek (black
leather) steering wheel with the custom horn button in the middle.
WOW! You guys dont know what your missing! Perfect fit.

Take care,

Ski 4649

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:32:07 -0800 (PST)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: engine stamping pits can you fill them?

I was wondering if anyone out there has found a way to safely fill them in?If not is there at least some kind of fix anyone would suggest?If you are not sure what Im asking about its the deep little square pits on top of the prv between the heads.They always get filed with dirt and moisture which could cause them to corrode through.I would like to fill them in with something but dont kow if its such a good idea since this might allow some moisture to be trapped in there,exactly what i dont want!

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:12:35 +0000 (GMT)
From: Paul Salsbury <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: engine stamping pits can you fill them?

Jonh

I second that, I've just had the inlet manifold of my
car to sort a leak... the top between the heads was
totally flat... Yep full of crud two good hand fulls
in fact soaking wet and had corroded through the metal
heater pipe that runs across the top of the engine.

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:31:36 -0500
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

I'm not entirely sure, but would imagine these are there in part to
increase the surface area to create a heat-sink. Otherwise they're just
there to maintain strength whilst saving weight..

Aluminium will only corrode under specific circumstances. Simply being wet
isn't one of them.

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:54:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

All you have to do is fix all of the cooling system leaks. This area
gets filled with "dirt" only because the coolant leaks and pools in
them and when the liquid part evaporates it leaves behind the solid
residue (looks like tan sand). You have to replace the "O" rings on
the water distribution pipe and the hoses from the water pump. Try to
get the silicone hoses which some venders sell as the clamps will not
need to be retightened after installation, you can't get near them to
retighten them when they loosen so you could develop a leak even after
replacing everthing. Before replacing the intake manifold pressure
test the cooling system to be sure you did everything OK again because
you can't easily see any leaks let alone fix them. Use a shop vac and
a screwdriver to remove all of the residue in the webs. I guess you
could paint them but nothing is going to stick unless you can get the
metal really clean. Probably the best thing to use would be GLYPTAL.
It is used inside motors to seal the surface and make it smooth to
promote oil drain-back and to make it easy to clean when torn down
again. You can get it at any electrical motor repair shop or you can
order it at Eastwood.

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:48:39 -0000
From: "John Gedeon" <johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks for all the info guys,
  You have been very helpful :)

John

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:56:40 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 11/21/02 7:22:06 AM Central Standard Time,
hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

>  was wondering if anyone out there has found a way to safely fill them in?If
> not is there at least some kind of fix anyone would suggest?If you are not
> sure what Im asking about its the deep little square pits on top of the prv
> between the heads.They always get filed with dirt and moisture which could
> cause them to corrode through.I would like to fill them in with something
> but dont kow if its such a good idea since this might allow some moisture
> to be trapped in there,exactly what i dont want!

I would say that if they are there - they are there for a reason! don't fill
them, i think they act as a heatsink.  if you remove the intake manifold and
waterpipes (which i assume you have done) just clean them out with a
screwdriver and a shopvac, maybe some compressed air and you should be on
your way for another 20 years.........  that's what i did and i'm not going
to lose any sleep over it because that's a lot more care than most of the D's
out there have seen!

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:49:17 -0500
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Refinishiung the Glove Box Lid

hey Ski 4649,

how about some pics?  I think more people would be interested in your setup.
Sounds cool.

Joseph

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:15:15 -0500
From: "mparish.ga" <mparish.ga_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: License Plate suggestions

It is time to renew my license plate and I would like to get something that fits with the Delorean. Any suggestions as to what to try to get? I am limited to 6 letters.

Thanks
Michael Parish

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:19:11 -0000
From: "edherrmann" <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: diagnostic socket

Just a question. I know that eary models included an actual diagnostic
socket and the later models did not but did provide a conector from
the wire bundle. The diagnostic socket was never used and no
diagnostic instrament was built. Section M:04:01 in the manual
explains its function. My question is can the socket be used now if
the conections were reinstalled and a diagnostic unit was built with
todays technology. Would it be worth it to have it reinstated or the
information it was intended to provide be useless.  Thanks  Ed

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:07:43 -0000
From: "Tyler Vignoli" <jvignoli_at_dml_snet.net>
Subject: wanted delorean

I am wondering if anyone is selling their delorean for around 10,000
to 17,000.  And if you live around connecticut like, Newyork, New
Jersey, Pensylvania, massechusetts, new hampshire, vermont. Please
email me At slyty125_at_dml_aol.com or respond to this.

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:44:05 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: License Plate suggestions

Look at http://www.dmcnews.com/vanity.html

Also search the archive on "vanity". - lots of info, this subject
comes up from time to time.

Dave S

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:45:01 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: wanted delorean

Look at

http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/dmcforsale.html

Also Hemmings Motor News (www.hemmings.com)

Dave S

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:49:52 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

These come up every so often...but to rehash:
RUN-DMC
DLREAN
GOT-TYM
FUTURE
GIGAWT
NO COKE
PEPSI
JOHN Z ("DeLorean" is on the bumper)
STNLES

Also check out the collection on the dmcnews page!
http://www.dmcnews.com/vanity.html

Cheers,
Josh