From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1287
Date: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 6:21 AM

1. RE: Re: hydraulic fluid seeps
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

2. Door Launchers
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>

3. PRV Hunting - response.
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. DeLorean Car Show Magazine
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Sunstar BTTF Door adjustments
From: "Jeff" <Gr8old1_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: DeLorean Car Show Magazine review (BTTF.com)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:18:26 -0600
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: hydraulic fluid seeps

Fortunately, mine is a daily driver for the last two years... but damage
could have been done before that.

What about sleeves? Are those available in many sizes, shapes? How do you
know for sure if you need to sleeve a caliper? If the piston isn't tight? My
calipers were fine last month...

How do you go about sealing the epoxy back to the frame with paint? I know
it's not possible to remove it all without a frame-off job, which isn't
possible right now.

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 05:40:38 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Door Launchers

Dave, email me. I'll give you the entire story on how to do it. It'll
less than any kit on the market but you won't save tons of money over
the cheapest kit and it'll take some work on your part.

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:10:50 -0500
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: PRV Hunting - response.

Hi All

Here's a collection of points written by Darren in response to mails I
forwarded to him off the DML, and general chatting with regards the PRV
hunting. There's some other info in there about how to set up the fuelling,
and also a reply to Bill identifying his engine. I hope it's interesting
and not _too_ long.

---------

My opinions will probably keep the guys across the pond "cussing" for ages!
At the end of the day I know what works and when I build an engine it has
to run perfectly, and they always do, or else a running fault could cause
premature wear of the new engine (probably the reason the engine wore out
in the first place). Many of these guys with opinions have cars that
hunt......That is the case for the defence your Honour :-) Shain makes the
most sense. I am beginning to believe it is a problem with vacuum leaks;
perhaps we are getting too deeply into the fault and it is nothing more
than 20yr old rubber O rings are no longer sealing properly when cold. I
know that when I strip a PRV the inlet manifold O rings are squashed and
turned from rubber to hard plastic.

To the guy who suggests disregarding the Renault manual; the Renault k-jet
manual is written by Bosch and it does cover Lambda vehicles (Switzerland)
as it is written for european vehicles but I can see how he comes up with
that idea not having seen the Renault manual.

There is no way a variation in cylinder pressures or spark plug variations
would cause an engine to hunt, in fact one running on 5 cyls would not
hunt, it would idle slower which would then be corrected by the idle valve
and then held steady by the valve if set up correctly. I suspect that even
someone who has been working on DMC's for years would not know the correct
setting proceedure as it is not in the DMC manual and they would be
unlikely to get hold of a Renault manual as Renaults are not sold in the US.

It appears that DMC didn't want unskilled people messing with the settings
but Renault had no proplems with giving the dealers the info to set them
up. To set the idle you clamp off the pipe to the idle valve and set it
with the brass screws as per engines without idle system, ie remove and
clean the screws, refit them and screw them all the way in. Back off the
two front ones 2 turns and then set the idle with the back screw to 900
rpm. It is absolutely critical that the control pressure is correct (3.4
bar) and that the pressure from the pump is correct (4.8-5.2 bar). The only
thing you can't do on the DMC is set the co which should be 0.7-1.0 before
the cat. The idle should not vary when cold and the manual gives all the
testing proceedures and values of electrical sensors etc.

A simple way to set the mixture screw with out a co meter is to bridge the
fuel pump relay with the engine off, pull out an injector and put it into a
container and put a washer (about 0.5mm-1.0 mm thick) under the air plate
stop to hold it in the same position as at idle and turn the mixture screw
untill the injector "cracks" which is the point at which the injector
starts to spray. Then set the idle...

The K-jet system will handle more than 140 hp,the standard Volvo 760 is 170
hp in european spec without cats. The Renault 5 Turbo 2 (mid engined) used
the PRV metering head and produced upto 350hp from 1400cc in tarmac rally
spec! I also used to prepare a Golf GTi 1.8 with K-jet that put out 190hp,
although the idle had to be set at 2000rpm because at low speed the pulses
that came back up the inlet manifold upset the flow plate, that is the only
problem with k-jet when the cams get wild. The pulses push the flap shut as
the pulses going in are trying to push it open when you run cams with alot
of valve overlap resulting in no air movement which equals no or very poor
idle. Obviously the active idle speed valve was not designed to operate
with toblerone shaped cams with big overlap, it was designed to give a
steady idle dependent of engine load with standard cams.

-------

(Bill's engine)

Ah, The Renault 30TX is alive and well and living in a DMC! The injection
system Bill describes is Phase 2 R30TX. I have actually got a factory
bulletin from Renault advising how to retro-fit this system to a phase 1
30tx that has running faults (phase 1 had the same as DMC). The metering
head is alloy, not cast iron, the fuel lines are solid steel pipe and it
has a conventional fuel pressure reg as well as a k-jet pressure reg to
improve throttle response. As to a lack of power, it should produce more
power, as in the Renault it gives 144bhp from a 2664cc PRV. The lack of
power could be down to the distributor not giving enough advance if it has
a DMC dizzy.If he wants a Renault dizzy I have them in stock, but he needs
to get the advance checked first. The supplied engine number for Bill show
140 which is a Renault 30TX engine out of a phase 2. It may lack torque off
the line as it is only 2664cc! Sounds like he needs an engine building to
2849cc.....

http://mail2web.com/ .

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:03:44 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Magazine

Well we are about a week away from printing the first issue of DeLorean Car
Show Magazine.  The editing is done for the most part and we are just waiting
for press time that should occur probably around December 6th.  ( We are
taking Thanksgiving week off)

By next week the DeLorean Car Show web page will be making some drastic
changes.  If you have visisted it lately you will have seen that we have
moved the Memphis show to a tab on the first page and have moved a few other
things around in anticipation of the new web page.  This new web page will
have video clips including clips from John himself and Fred Dellis and many
others.

You may get a sneek preview of the magazine cover and a few other items from
the website BTTF.com  Stephen will be helping to promote the magazine and
will have an ad up on his website probably before the DeLorean Car Show  web
page does but I don't know the exact date since we sent him the information
last night.

Information on the magazine will be on the web page in about 2 weeks as far
as where and when to send in your subscriptions.  It will be the same address
as is listed on the web page  See the web page in a week or so for further
information and we will notify you by e-mail when it is updated.

DeLorean Car Show Inc.
4500 Woodland Dr
Mason, Oh 45040

We were going to do a once a year issue but we already have enought material
for almost the second one so we decided on two issues annually.

The first issue will come out in December.  When? is still a bit of a
question and we hope to have it available for Christmas for those of you that
want it for Christmas. Since this is our first time we really don't know how
long this process will take so please be patient.  As always we will do our
best.

The second Issue will be in April and from then on it will be November and
April.

Renewals will go in two year cycles to correspond with the DeLorean Car Show.
You may also order single issues if you so desire and since there are no back
issues we don't have to deal with that.

The first edition has an article from John DeLorean , basically it is an
excerpt from his new book that he wanted to share so you all can have a
glimpse before it is published.

We moved the Dinner with John article to the second issue since we had so
much material but we will include a photo or two in this issue of John taken
in October 2002.

The cost will be $15 per issue or $55 for 4 issues. (Postage included)
If you are a DeLorean Car owner please include your vin number.

As with all DeLorean Car Show functions if you wish to cancel at any time you
may have a full refund for unissued magazines.

The magazine is full of articles on the Memphis Show, An article written
about the TEV electric powered DeLorean from Tilley from one of the designers
of the electric car, Curtis writes about his car and the colors it has been
(this is really cool especially if you have seen the car live) There are some
artilces from local events like Evansville, North Carolina, Fall foliage tour
and a few others so everyone can see what is happening in the DeLorean
community and there is a tech article on the exhaust system.  Plus More.
(D-Rex is watching you)

We think you will enjoy this issue as you will every issue.

We need your support to make this work and we are working hard to make this
YOUR magazine.  So, as is the policy of the DeLorean Car Show, your input is
requested and we will work with you to make sure that your thoughts are heard
and your experiences are shared with others.

ALL vendors are welcome to advertise in the magazine and we have most of the
ones you are used to seing plus a few new ones. The format is a bit different
so we think you will enjoy it.  (If you are a vendor and wish to place an ad
please contact me at this e-mail address)  Ad spaces are available in black
and white and color. (note: color and black and white can be mixed on the
same page)

On another note I have found a few cars for the next car show that are rare
and am working on getting them to commit to the Pigeon Forge Show.  If you
know of any unusual or rare DeLoreans please contact me and we will try to
get them to come to Pigoen Forge.

(working for you)

Ken
Deloreancarshow.com

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:32:04 -0000
From: "Jeff" <Gr8old1_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Sunstar BTTF Door adjustments

Patrick, now that you mention it, i think i'll take the time to
figure this one out and post the procedures soon.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., P12C16_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Hey there,
>     Does anyone know how to get the Sunstar BTTF model apart to
adjust the doors?  Its definately not as easy as the Stock DMC model

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:26:43 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Show Magazine review (BTTF.com)

Well, it looks like Ken is right on schedule.  I did my Monday morning
Internet link checks and sure enough, there was the Delorean Car Show
magazine pre-release review on the BTTF.com website, along with a
photo of the first issue's cover.  (Ken did say about 2 weeks)

As of this morning, www.deloreancarshow.com did not have information
regarding the club and magazine subscription rates, but I'm sure that
will be forthcoming soon, since it was listed in the review article
on the BTTF.com website.

Check it out if you get a few free moments.
I'm sure we will be hearing from Ken K. soon.