From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1291
Date: Saturday, November 30, 2002 6:48 AM

1. Re: Removing the ignition switch,from the steering shaft
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>

2. Free Digi Dash
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. Re: 1983 Kepec Model
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

4. Re: DeLorean parts on eBay.
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

5. Re: 1983 Kepec Model
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

6. Re: best way to drop drive axles?
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

7. Re: DeLorean Car Show Magazine
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: 1983 Kepec Model
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

9. Re: Removing the ignition switch,from the steering shaft
From: <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>

10. Re: Late purchased D's (was 1983 Kepec Model)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:11:43 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: Removing the ignition switch,from the steering shaft

Those two "huge rivit" are in fact shear bolts. They are designed to snap
off at the point of correct torque so as not to crush the column. You will
have to drill them out and then get new shear bolts to fasten it all back
together.

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:08:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Free Digi Dash

Hey List!

I'm offering up my car's Dakota Digital Dash for free to anyone who wants it. The catch is you have to remove it yourself, and reinstall the original gagues. I've got all the paperwork for the dash... it cost over $900 new. The previous owner of my car installed it within the past year or so, and the car has only been driven 6,000 miles since then. If you'd like pictures, I believe Matt Olans has some uploaded in the photos section of the dmc news egroups site, or I will gladly email pics of my application. I'd remove and sell the dash myself... but I go to college over 2 hours away from my parents house (where the D stays), and I've got too many other projects with my car going on at this point to tackle this. My car was modified some by the previous owner, and I'm trying to slowly undo some of that. The car is in Sanford, NC... about an hour from Raleigh Durham International Airport. If anyone is interested, please drop me a line at Louie (AT) DeLorean.com . Hope everyone's having a great holiday! :-)

Louie Golden

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:37:55 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: 1983 Kepec Model

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:
<SNIP>
> Anyone have any idea why a car that was built in Jan of 1982 didn't get
> delivered to the owner until April 1983?  anyone have any idea where the
car
> was for a year? was it seriously on a dealer lot that long, and then Kapac
> bought it and sold it to the first owner?  I'd be interested in anyone's
> thoughts pertaining to this!!
<SNIP>

Quite possibly, yes, it did indeed sit on the lot that long. My car was built and
sold while DMC was still in business, and it was built in Nov 81, and didn't sell
until June 82 according to the paperwork from the California DMV that came
with my car. An occasional comment that I recieve from people I meet is that
they have at one time or another seen an available DMC-12 for sale at a
dealership after the company closed. The longest I heard of was a Utah
dealership that had still had a new one for sale in 1985. From what I've been
able to gather, in late '82 when the company was due to fold, alot of people
stopped buying the cars for concern of warranty work (same problem Daewoo
cars have had until GM acquired them). On 10-21-82 when JZD made
headlines, sales increased for a time there after. But after the acquittal, they
slumped back again. Another thing I have head was that after the company
closed, Consolidated purchased back parts from dealerships for however
many cents on the dollar. But I don't believe that they touched the cars. It was
up to the dealerships to sell those.

Aside from that, vehicles from any manufacturer will at one time or another will
have sat for some period of time. It doesn't nessisarily mean that they're bad
or unpopular, although cars in that position will have higher #'s sitting in
dealer lots, and distribution centers. Car manufacturers expect this, so they in
turn spray down the engines with oil to prevent rust durring transport. A better
example of excess cars isn't the DeLorean, but the Pointiac Aztec. The
stockpile of cars there was so bad that GM had to idle the entire plant to
prevent any further losses from the excess overhead. So everytime I read
some article about the history of DMC and how cars were "piling up" outside
the factory, the only word that comes to mind is, "so?" After all, it happens to
all car makers at some point or another.

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:16:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean parts on eBay.

Hi Robert,
Why be alarmed?In a time where many people are
complaining about the cost of parts from vendors an
alternative means of buying parts can only be a good
thing.And why do you think these cars were
stolen?Perhaps they were in an accident like James'car
or the person's car is worth more in peices than
intact.
I have absolutely no problem with people parting out
cars.It keeps the good ones on the road an ensures the
cars will be around longer.
But I too worry about the day when someone may try to
steal my car.I don't think it will be someone who
needs a left front fender but some kid who wants a bit
of fun hooning around.
I personally think an engine immoboliser is the way to
go with security.The car can't be started unless the
crooks have the key.The immoboliser shuts done
fuel,ignition and something else I forgot.I couldn't
get my car insured unless I had one.
Cheers,
Andrew
VIN 2883
Sydney

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:47:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

Hi Andy,
I, like many others, can only specualte on this.My
theory is that when the company was put into
receivership in Feb 1982 there must have been many
cars partially completed in the factory.Since after
that time there was a drastically reduced workforce
perhaps many cars took along time to be completed and
probably sat around at the factory till they could
ship them.
Cheers,
Andrew
VIn 2883
Sydney

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 19:41:08 -0500
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: best way to drop drive axles?

You need to spin the wheels/transmission to get to all the bolts on the
half-axles.  So you'd want the wheels off the ground, otherwise you have
to roll the car front and back.

Jim

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:09:37 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Car Show Magazine

We have looked into pay pal and credit cards but as you know they keep a
protion and maybe someday if we get enough subscriptions we can do that.  We
Process credit cards now for my other businesses and we run the show and
magazine so close it would end up being an added charge.  In the future we
hope to go to credit card it is acutally easier for me than pay pal.  We are
looking into having it possibly for the next show, thanks to being tax exempt.
So be patient, we will get there.

Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 05:25:31 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

Andy,

Sounds like you are the proud owner of a Q.A.C. car.(Quality
Assurance Center)
There is a high chance,that when your car reached these shores,when
it went thru Q.A.C.they found a lot of problems with it,put it on the
side for repairs,and either they did not get to it for a while,or
temp.used parts off of it to fix cars with lessor problems,car sits
there,somewhat stripped at QAC,Fast forward,Kapac gets control of DMC
and QAC,Kapac has his guys "fix it" to sell,fast forward to 4/15/83.
Thats my thoughts,as all Deloreans had to go thru QAC,before they
were sent off to the Dealers,so if your car came here in 1982,but
never hit a dealer lot until 4/83,chances are it sat at QAC all that
time,because of a failed QAC inspection/repairs.

My thoughts
Claude
000570

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:

> An interesting note - my car is VIN 11596, build date of Jan 1982.
In my paperwork for the car i have some Kapac documents outlining
warranty information for my car including a buisness card for Kapac.

Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:11:07 -0500
From: <bob.hlavacek_at_dml_snet.net>

Hi Claude,

When my ex through my keys in the river, my D sat for a while.  I had to
take the whole steering column to the locksmith, there was a key broken off
inside the switch.  The key number was on a little round sticker on the
bottom of the cover, thank goodness!  $70 later, back in went the steering
column.  But the key is still hard to get into the ignition.  Don't know
why.

Bob

From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:39:23 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Late purchased D's (was 1983 Kepec Model)

Andy,

There was a whole lot of things going on late 1981 through 1983 and
beyond that caused Deloreans to be purchased / delivered well past
there production completion, not the least of them being the bogus
drug bust, the plant closing and the corporate bankruptcy issues.

I personally bought my first Delorean (used) in 1985 and the dealer
still had several NEW Deloreans in the showroom and on the lot.
Working for Schwinn Bicycle Corporate HQ as of late 1984, I had
knowledge of the Back to the Future movie in production, since many
of the bikes used (including George McFly's peeping tom bike scene)
were on lone from the Schwinn museum.  Although I had always wanted
to own a Porsche 928 and a Delorean since seeing both prototypes in
1977, after I saw the pre-release BTTF movie posted on the boss's
office door (Edward Schwinn, Jr.), I knew I had to have one NOW.
I purchased my first Delorean and enjoyed the original BTTF release.

For a few extra thousand (that I did not have at the time), I could
have purchased a new 1982 model Delorean in 1985, which I regret not
doing, but I thoroughly enjoyed driving my used '81 Delorean around
to the movie theaters in the Chicagoland area when the BTTF movie let
out and opening the door, asking "Could you tell me what time it is?"
Used Delorean $15K.  Full tank of gas $15.  Looks I got - priceless.

Almost time to re-live that time with the BTTF DVD release Dec. 17.

Later,
Rich