From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1306
Date: Saturday, December 14, 2002 5:44 AM

From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

From: "birdwell77095 <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

From: "Paul <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com

From: "Randy Bell" <randybell_at_dml_williamstownfab.com>

From: "Randy Bell" <randybell_at_dml_williamstownfab.com>

From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Need your opinions on this D
From: "spaceace3113 <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Gold Sunstar Models
From: "DMCboi1der" <dmcboy1der_at_dml_hotpop.com>

10. RE: My BTTF DVDs are shipping!
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

11. Re: Need your opinions on this D
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: Found a semi local delorean for sale
From: "gullwingmagazine <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

13. Intermittent electrical stuff
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:33:09 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: My BTTF DVDs are shipping!

Got them last night in the mail!

They are the right ones!  WHOOO HOOO!!!!

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:51:48 -0000
From: "birdwell77095 <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: BTTF Trilogy and Sunstar Model

I got the BTTF Trilogy about two months ago. My DVD player is regions
free so we ordered it from Europe. It does go into more details on the
Delorean. The reported facts are wrong on some issues though. If I
remember, it said the Delorean was a four-cylinder. I think it got the
production numbers wrong too. But overall it was good.

On the Sunstar model, there is a problem sometimes with the doors not
staying up. There are instructions on the web on how to make the
adjustments. Watch that tension though so the screw driver doesn't
whip around and hit you! :) It's a dangerous job. That's why I got my
wife to do it. :)

Shannon

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:57:56 -0000
From: "Paul <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need your opinions on this D

Well I drove out last night and looked over the car with a buddy of
mine as best we could.  Heres what we found.

When I called before I went out there, I was told he was asking
$10,000, and that all it needed was a new fuel system and doorlifts.

When I got there first I talked to the owners wife, he was out of
town.  Its an 81' with the grooved hood.  They are the second owner
and have had it for 7 years.  It has 55,000 miles(although the
odometer says 26,240 miles(The speedo cable Im sure).  She said its
been sitting for about a year.  Her husband was in a bad car accident
(not in the delorean), and is now on full disability and is not
supposed to be driving a stick.  The accident happened a year and a
half ago.  They got a Brand new A/C Compressor.  I found out that the
$10,000 is negotiable, she said that if someone came in with $4,000
he wouldnt take it.  So Im guessing that he wants something in
between those two numbers.  Im thinking If its worth it, I could get
it down to about $6,000 with alot of work negotiating.

When we looked at the car more closely we found...

The passneger window is off track, possibly needs upgraded power
window regulators for one or both windows.

New binnacle, cracked through the middle.

The carpet where the snow fell through the window was a little wet,
but didnt seem bad.  I dont think it would be a problem.

Both door pull straps were off of the car, so Im guessing they took
the inside door panels off at some time to try to fix the window(s).

Headliners arent too bad, but would need to be replaced.

Door, louvers, and trunk struts are all completely shot.

drivers side door wont open.  Owners wife said it was unlocked, after
closer inspection and trying to get it open, it seemed that the lock
towards the front end was unlocked, and towards the rear was stuck.
(new upgraded door locks and/or locking mechanism?)

The clutch pedal wont move at all.  Up or down.  I dont know if this
is due to sitting, or if anything was unhooked or what.  If anyone
has any Idea please let me know.  (The stick moved into the gears.)

The trunk and engine release latch handles arent mounted and was
difficult to get open.

The body- The fascias both need repainting.  The body has a couple
very very small dings, looks like rocks from the highway.  The front
end hasnt been pulled up on a parking curb.

The top of the motor has been taken off, with all the pices in the
cargo net inside the car.

There is a couple of really small spots on the frame that has surface
rust, nothing to worry about.

Probobly needs new shocks and tires, my guess.

Im uploading pictures to the files section of different parts of the
car.  It will be under "pauls pics".  If you guys could take a look
and give me your thoughts on weather or not this car would be worth
the hassle and work, or any other miscelaneous thoughts on it, I
would be most greatful for the help.

If you need more info let me know, I may have forgotten something, or
I could find out.

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:00:34 -0600
From: MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com
Subject: Re: Need your opinions on this D

Paul,
It sounds like this car has a lot of issues, and could turn into a major
project. Depending on your own skills and ability to do the work it could be
an reasonable investment at $6K. I recently purchased a similar "project"
type car for $5,500 and within the last three and a half months that has
already turned into a $11,000 investment. However I am attempting to bring
my car as close as possible back to show room condition. As of today, my car
is still in the shop, and the cost continues to rise; I will be in another
$1,000 in before it even runs. Just be prepared to spend the money, the
longer the car sits the more problems it will develop.

Questions I would ask is, who made the determination that the car had a fuel
system problem? Are they sure this is the problem? Was it running when the
fuel system was pulled off? It sounds like the owner of this car tinkered
with it quite a bit, hopefully he knew what he was doing. Check all of the
wiring, make sure it isn't hacked.

If your looking for a project car SpecialTAuto has a good runner for $6,000
listed on his web site. At least you have a clearer understanding of this
cars condition, where the other it is some what up in the air. I'm certainly
not trying to talk you out of it, but shop and compare, don't assume its the
car fo you because its in your back yard.

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:25:34 -0500
From: "Randy Bell" <randybell_at_dml_williamstownfab.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Back on the Road

Rich,

Unfornuately, I live in West Virginia. I'd love to have some one come
over that knew about the car, and take a look at it. Oh well, guess I'll
have to jump in and start from scratch. I have all winter (or longer) to get
it done, I'm not in any hurry, I just want to make sure I do it right.
Although it has been garage kept and low milage, I think I tear it
completely down and bring it back to showroom condition. I'll be
needing alot of guidance as the project goes along. Nice to know
there are people that will give assistance.

Thanks,
Randy

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:32:31 -0500
From: "Randy Bell" <randybell_at_dml_williamstownfab.com>

David,
Thanks for the help. I have all winter or longer to get the D back on
the road. I just finished a complete frame-off project on a 64 GTO.
Although the Delorean has been garage kept. I might tear into it and bring
it back to showroom condition. I enjoy this type of work. I normally
do it on the older simpler cars without all the new computer stuff. But, I
need
to learn. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. I plan
to start on it this weekend. I'm sure it will keep me busy and out
of my wife's hair. Again thanks for the help.

Randy

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:51:09 -0500
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

Did you win the lottery?  20K later and you'll have a car worth 10K.

Frame corrosion?

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:33:16 -0000
From: "spaceace3113 <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

dont be too anxious ...id walk

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:34:15 -0800
From: "DMCboi1der" <dmcboy1der_at_dml_hotpop.com>
Subject: Re: Gold Sunstar Models

The DeLorean Store just got there shipment in today and I love my gold car!
It is amazing! and the best part is I got it for only 29.95!!! Better hurry,
they said the price will go up to 34.95 after the 15th! They are on their
website at www.deloreanstore.com/sale.htm !!! (I also got the rosewood stand
for the other two, really makes them look like more than just a kids toy!

Peter James
Vin # 6974

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:59:03 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Checked them out today....

Not really impressed AT ALL with the case, or the printing on the discs.

I started to watch some of the special features, and although the menus
are nice, they are lacking a REALLY nice touch.  After checking out
feature rich DVDs like Starwars Episode I & II, I was left feeling like
BTTF was not given a lot of attention or consideration (which surprises
me due to how long we all waited!)

If a Special collectors edition is ever released, I would prob. Pick it
up just to have something with a little nicer quality.

Kevin Abato
Vin #16680 (Guess what I am watching this weekend!)

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:00:33 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Paul

Experience tells me there is more to this than meets the eye. Broken
speedo - maybe, the engine is apart - the clutch pedal will not move
(that's a new one). I bought one that was running and I could
inspect it for no rust in the daylight. I did ALL the work and had
some parts from salvaged inventories. I still put $10,000 in it to
get it in top shape. So be careful. Based on your comments about
this one, I'd forgetaboutit. It's a part car.

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:08:17 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Found a semi local delorean for sale

Paul

If this is the D in Caladonia, Missouri (and it looks like it from
the pics) walk away from it!  Unless you can get them down to $4000-
5000 or better yet less, its going to suck a lot of money out of you.

We looked at this car this summer because of some tip we got at a car
show.  Since we like project cars we took a ride out to see it.  Very
disappointing.

Our project D (the Yellow one many saw in Memphis)was found with many
of the same problems as the one you are looking at but it would at
least run and the body was straight.  We bought ours for less than
$5000 but have invested at least $10,000 in parts and a ton of labor
that nobody will pay me for.  If it wont start there are all kinds of
things you cant check.

Bottom line, be patient, your deal will come around.

I could also tell you of another D here in St Louis that has a blown
engine, destroyed interior, every body panel dented, and just a basic
mess.  But you know what, the owner wont budge off the $10,000 price
he wants.  Crazy!

Ron
Gullwing Magazine

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Paul <vrt10whips_at_dml_y...>"

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:04:25 -0500
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Intermittent electrical stuff

After working on my car last weekend, my friend and I noticed that my passengers side window motor works--after two years.  Actually, I have never really touched the switch that much, but everytime I did previous nothing happened.  I am also having a problem with an intermittent window switch--sometimes it works in all four directions, otherwise it will only move mirrors up and down.

Can someone explain why this is happening in either (or both) of these instances?  I probably know the answer--a combination of a bad wire somewhere or a dirty switch--but what is the easiest fix to accomplish without being an electrician?  I already know how to remedy intermittent tail lights, but I know nothing about these two issues.

I would told by my friend to dab some deoxidizing compound on the switch contacts themselves--could this be part of the problem?

Any help would be great.  Thank you!

(And thank you to the list for all the great help on changing the lower steering column bushing.  Everyone made it sound a little easier than it actually was, but no problem whatsoever!  Thank you Darryl for the new and improved bushing!)