From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1310
Date: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 4:31 AM

1. RE: Re: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th reminder
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

2. Re: Re: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th reminder
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

3. Master Cylinder Leak
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

4. RE: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>

5. RE: Re: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th reminder
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

6. 'Car Love' idea
From: Greg Linstad <greglinstad_at_dml_resrchintl.com>

7. RE: I Love the 80's Segment
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

8. Re: hard starting when wet continued....
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: The dipstick broke inside the tube.
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

10. VH1 documentary on Betamax
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. Re: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

12. Re: Re: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th reminder
From: Swoyerzone_at_dml_aol.com

13. DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

14. RE: Master Cylinder Leak
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

15. BTTF video release
From: "edherrmann <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. recovered dash panel?
From: "delorean3543 <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: The dipstick broke inside the tube.
From: PEDRO MALDONADO <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Master Cylinder Leak
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

19. instrument cluster?
From: "delorean3543 <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Master Cylinder Leak
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 07:33:17 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th reminder

When does it re-run?  I was going to Tivo it and post it, but forgot.

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 07:02:21 -0600
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

Although I haven't actually seen the VH-1 segment yet, it's obvious that it
was very negative and the information was flat out wrong. This leads me to
believe that the producers of the show are obviously trying to poke fun at
different things from the time period of the '80s and aren't really
interested in getting any of the facts straight on anything. I don't get too
bent out of shape over things like this. We love our cars and most of the
public is in awe when they see one up close. Any kid that's under 10 would
really only know the car from "Back to the Future", which is probably the
most positive publicity that's ever been done for the car (aside from what
this group does). The next time a kid walks up to your car and looks at it
with their eyes wide open like it's a spaceship, just remember that their
impression of the coolness of the car is impossible to corrupt.

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:32:50 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Master Cylinder Leak

My brake light just went on and I found that my brake fluid level was a bit
low.  I could see what looked like a slightly moist "greasy dirt" all around
the area between the master cylinder and the vacuum booster.

What is the best way to investigate this leak?  When I take off the reservoir
cap to refill the master cylinder I have to bend the float because the
electrical connector is in the way.  Is this normal?  It seems like the float
will brake.  Is this another quirk in the DMC design or in me for not knowing
how to do it properly?

My car always seemed to need too much brake pressure to stop and my idle is
fast and oscillates.  Could I have a vacuum leak in this area?

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:50:56 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>
Subject: RE: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th

The only thing I kept thinking about as I was watching the part about
naming a car after himself was FORD.  Man the gall of people to name a
car company after themselves...  I hate celebrities sometimes.  The rest
of it was just their opinions and I will leave them at that.

Jack & Virginia Stiefel
1981 Delorean Vin 03461 August 1981 Build
1988 Jaguar XJ-SC Cabriolet Edition
Visit us now at www.sacketmansion.com
Live Internet Radio at www.radiocapevincent.com

* suggested that JZD's "punishment" should have been "to be locked in
one of
his own cars"

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 07:53:48 -0800
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

   >libel suit against the broadcast company and/or the show's
producer(s)

How about a class action suit for damages to all of us in diminishing
the resale value of our cars.  They obviously didn't verify the remarks
through a reliable source :-)

Gary

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:06:47 -0800
From: Greg Linstad <greglinstad_at_dml_resrchintl.com>
Subject: 'Car Love' idea

Dave and List,
I think if you could find someone who bought a totally dismantled car
and proceded to reassemble it, that would be the ultimate example of
'Car Love'. This person would probably post his progress to a news group
and perhaps even have a web cam set up in his garage. I suspect he would
also give the car a female name like it was an ill-tempered, shrewish,
or malicious woman and trailer her to major car shows (you would hope he
does not lose any parts in transit). I'm sure there is person dedicated
enough to accomplish an endeavor of this magnitude. Anyone know someone
like this?   ;)

Greg Linstad
pndc.org
VIN#  3507  "RUSTLSS"
VIN#  6214  "RUSTLS2"

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:38:16 -0800
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: I Love the 80's Segment

    Hi gang,

I've created a 3 meg RealMedia copy of the 'I love the 80's' segment
'lowlighting' our car. You'll find it on my club website:

www.ncdmc.org

Enjoy!

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA  VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/montkw/delorean/index.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:57:22 -0000
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: hard starting when wet continued....

Thanks for everyones responses. I think you are all right saying that
i just need a tune up. I have all the parts for a tune up, I am just
waiting for a nicer day. I pulled a wire off the plug easiest to
reach. The plug is very cruddy with corrosion. I cleaned it up and
hosed it with wire dryer... I really got to do the tune up.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_c...>"

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:24:25 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: The dipstick broke inside the tube.

Errr, I am being dense here?  It seems to me that a piece of dipstick can be possibly be
removed through the drain plug.

It might still be neccessary to pull the pan, but I'd at least try to get the fragment
out through the drain plug first.  Of course, I would spend 5 hours trying to avoid a
2-hour oil pan R&R, but that's just me.  :-)

Most auto parts stores have the "magnet on a stick" that could reach in there are and
get the dipstick piece.  You can also try using a powerful magnet on the outside of the
pan to drag the fragment to the drain hole.  (Try getting the magnets out of a dead hard
drive...they are CRAZY powerful.)

Gus Schlachter
VIN# 4695
Austin, TX

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:26:16 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: VH1 documentary on Betamax

OK -- two comments Re: Betamax VCR's:

I am proud owner of a vintage functioning Betamax that never gets
used. Do either of you guys or anyone else on the list want it, no
charge? You'll have to pay shipping.

(Didn't record documentary on Beta, or anything else for that matter.
I'm just offering the machine).

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:58:53 -0800
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

If anyone has a video recording of that piece which was run about the
DeLorean on VH1 December 16 and would make me a copy I would like to buy a
copy of that footage. I was not able to watch the program. You can contact
me directly.

Many thanks.

Joe Thome

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:55:42 EST
From: Swoyerzone_at_dml_aol.com

I'd like to see a show on VH1 about John DeLorean and the DMC-12. I don't
think they would but I believe that it would make the best apology, and clear
up the myths about the car, I stayed up just to watch the second airing
around 1 AM for nothing but a Quentin Wilson view of the car, totally
inaccurate,

Darryl

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:00:06 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: DeLorean in VH1 Show - Dec. 16th

great job tamir!
i love the eurofest footage that you sent them that they used, too bad they took out the
BTTF music that you dubbed into it and too bad they didnt listen to the video before
they shot their segment on the car.

mark

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:13:01 -0600
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Master Cylinder Leak

I just replaced mine.
Just suck it up, plop down the $250ish and get a new one.
There is apparently no rebuilding. Next stop: Clutch-cylinderville.

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:36:24 -0000
From: "edherrmann <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: BTTF video release

Did anyone look at the new BTTF package,it looks terrible. You can't
even see the delorean except something that looks like our door. I
have the 3 VCD version of BTTF from overseas and that looks like the
original release version and that looks great. You can see the
delorean. But this one looks like they went out of their way not to
show it on the package. Maybe they wanted to avoid paying royalties
to Mr Delorean. But the whole move revolves around a Delorean time
machine. Anyone agree that it was choped up. Ed

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:58:40 -0000
From: "delorean3543 <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: recovered dash panel?

Has anyone tried having there dash panel covered in leather? I am
looking for an alternitive to replacing the intire dash panel which
is badly cracked,

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:39:53 -0800 (PST)
From: PEDRO MALDONADO <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Once I went to a "dollar store" and purchased an 18
inch grip for (you guessed it) a dollar.  I have found
this device indispensible.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:54:19 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Dave,

you can unplug the electrical connector (the red part) from the brake cap.
it's a pain to put back on because of limited access thru that hole but it's
worth it seeing as the other way will probably break stuff.

i would be very intensely checking the vacuum assist hose on the master
cylinder for leaks - that sounds like a very plausible answer for your idle
and low-brake boost situation!!

Andy

In a message dated 12/17/02 5:49:48 PM Central Standard Time,
doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> What is the best way to investigate this leak?  When I take off the
> reservoir
> cap to refill the master cylinder I have to bend the float because the
> electrical connector is in the way.  Is this normal?  It seems like the
> float
> will brake.  Is this another quirk in the DMC design or in me for not
> knowing
> how to do it properly?
>
> My car always seemed to need too much brake pressure to stop and my idle is
>
> fast and oscillates.  Could I have a vacuum leak in this area?
>
> Dave
> 6530

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:49:49 -0000
From: "delorean3543 <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: instrument cluster?

is there a web site where you can see the digital dash for a
DeLorean? I am intrested in converting mine.

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 02:24:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The easiest way to remove the cap is to first remove the wiring plug.
If the area around the master cylinder is moist and dirty it means the
master cylinder is leaking and should be replaced. Check the condition
of the brake fluid. If it is thick and dark it is bad and needs to be
flushed out. In doing that you will also cause the calipers on the
wheels to start leaking too. This will turn into a complete brake
system rebuild. This is the reason the Owner's manual recomends
flushing the brake fluid every 2 years. (Clutch too if 5-speed)
 To fix the bad idle is going to require fixing any vacuum leaks and
probably a tune-up. Start by checking that the 3 large brass screws on
the intake are LIGHTLY seated closed. Next block off all of the vacuum
lines one at a time and see if that improves the idle. If it does then
you have to follow it to the source of the leak. A hissing mode switch
is a vacuum leak. Make sure that at idle the throttle spool is hitting
the idle micro and turning on the idle motor. It gets more complicated
from here, you could need anything from new spark plugs to cleaning
the fuel injectors to a valve adjustment.