From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1320
Date: Friday, December 27, 2002 4:11 AM

There is 1 message in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:45:30 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter

Am on Xmas vacation, so this is first time I've seen list all week...

It is indeed possible to melt the guts of a honeycomb style catalytic
converter. Not sure why (stuff has consistency of ceramic), but I did
so when my car ran too LEAN (remember guys: fuel cools. Until Martin
G's PRV man diagnosed my re-tuned, hence over-advanced engine -- still
getting used to life without a carburetor -- was so rich I could
actually hold exhaust tips in my hands). Telltale sign of stopped up
converter is glowing exhaust AFTER the the thing. I think it's heat
from added resistance.

Do you live in an area with emissions testing? You'd be amazed how
much restriction a converter puts on exhaust flow. And even when
properly functioning is unreasonably hot.