From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1321
Date: Saturday, December 28, 2002 4:13 AM

1. Japanese DeLorean Article (Good Press!)
From: "ardont <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

2. delorean holiday suggestion/humor
From: "dmcmike2002 <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>" <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Re: Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. lock cylinder issues
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Plastic air Filter Box
From: "silverdelorean2002 <silvercrw646_at_dml_cs.com>" <silvercrw646_at_dml_cs.com>

7. New Steering wheel
From: "M. P. Olans <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

8. Re: Japanese DeLorean Article (Good Press!)
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. "old timer" webpage
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Re: Possible Serious Problem?
From: Scott Tester <scott_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. Seat Track Disassembly
From: "Dave Swingle <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

12. Re: Japanese DeLorean Article (Good Press!)
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: "old timer" webpage
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

14. Re: lock cylinder issues
From: "lockecard <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

15. Re: lock cylinder issues
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

16. DeLorean Car Show Magazine Update
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 00:14:01 -0000
From: "ardont <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>
Subject: Japanese DeLorean Article (Good Press!)

Dear List,

For those owners/enthusiasts in Japan, and other regions where you
can locate the magazine, "Old-Timer", a Bi-Monthly Publication For
Old&Collectible Car Hobbyists (No.67), there is a very detailed
article on my DeLorean Web-Site and Mr. DeLorean.  The title of the
article is, "Stainless Steel Obsession: The Story Beneath The Gull-
Wing Doors." (Pages 20-25)

I was contacted several months ago by one of the editors wishing to
do an article on my site.  The full six page color article went to
print in December and is available for sale currently in Japan.  I
received a few complimentary editions that I still have yet to get
fully translated, since the editor is quite busy with other stories
he is working on.

I will have this article with a translation on my site sometime in
February as to not infringe on the current magazines sales, etc.  But
I welcome all feedback from those who can get a hold of this magazine
currently and can maybe give me a full translation of its content.
Those who wish to contact me can do so at tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com

Regards, and a happy new year to all!
Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:50:18 -0000
From: "dmcmike2002 <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>" <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: delorean holiday suggestion/humor

I promised my wife that having the Delorean taking up our other
garage spot would not have an impact on us. With 3 kiddies and the
thousands of toys they keep in the garage I have been forced to creat
many shelves and ceiling hooks. But around the holidays when we have
company, my wife takes pleasure in having the delorean in the
garage....Since there is never enough room for everything in the
refrigerator she found another place to keep everything...you guessed
it....the flat stainless steel hood makes a perfect table for holiday
dishes that need to stay cold till served....Living in MD the garage
temp is equivalent to an ice cold fridge....I put a blanket over the
hood so nothing would scratch it. She tells everyone that she has a
stainless steel refrigerator in the garage. If she needs a dish
she'll tell someone that there is another tray out in the garage on
the stainless steel refrigerator...The look on people's faces when
they come back in the house is priceless...Owning a Delorean requires
having a wife with a sense of humor :-)

Mike C

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 04:37:33 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter

A glowing catalytic converter is a sign of an over-rich condition with
unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. When these unburned hydrocarbons
enter the catalytic converter (which under normal conditions runs
1200-1500 degrees) they burn which causes the temperature of the
coverter to go over 2000 degrees. It can get hot enough to fuse the
matrix of platinum pellets and stainless gratings which can cause the
converter to become "plugged up" or restrict the flow of exhaust
gases. This is most noticeable as a lack of power at high RPM's.
 Besides an out of adjustment fuel system one of the more common
causes is a misfiring cylinder caused by a bad ignition wire or spark
plug. Since the fuel isn't consumed in the cylinder it gets into the
exhaust where it burns inside the catalytic converter. Short periods
of this don't always cause permanant damage. Over longer times it will
distort the exhaust system, damage the catalytic converter,
contaminate the O2 sensor, melt nearby plastic and fiberglass, and
possibly set the car on fire. Fuel cools, at least unless it is being
oxidized! I wouldn't try putting out a fire by throwing cool fuel on
it!!!!!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_c...>"

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:17:03 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

when i got my D i had a lot of work done on it. My cat guts were
pretty much dust.  So, yes, the honeycomb can be destroyed, but from
what I hear its not very common.

Erik

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 08:40:37 -0000
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: lock cylinder issues

My drivers side lock cylinder is messed up somehow. The key used to
go in and out perfectly, but last weekend I found that it resists key
entry and then trys to hold the key in. I have to jiggle it around
while pushing or pulling to get it to work. Anyone dealt with this
before?

thanks,
Adam

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:56:01 -0000
From: "silverdelorean2002 <silvercrw646_at_dml_cs.com>" <silvercrw646_at_dml_cs.com>
Subject: Plastic air Filter Box

Hey, Has anyone tried to buff out or sand and clearcoat the air
filter box on a D. I noticed that most of all of them out there have
scratches on them. There very annoying to me. Anyone have any ideas
or have done it. What did you do,

Jon

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:32:54 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: New Steering wheel

Hey all,
     I am ready to change my steering wheel.  I bought a steering
wheel puller at the local Auto Zone and I have a few questions:

1. The puller does not have screws that fit the DeLorean hub.  Does
anyone know what size screws I'll need to go into either side of the
D's wheel hub?
2. The new steering wheel I have has a horn button.  I would like to
hook it up and was wondering if anyone had a line on the horn switch
wires-i.e. how to access them, which one hooks up to + and -, etc...

Any help would be appreciated!

Matthew
VIN #16816
VIN #10365--->Holiday Sale!

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 18:36:57 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Japanese DeLorean Article (Good Press!)

I have relatives who have lived in Japan all their lifes.  I sent
them this email and hopefully they will be picking up a copy soon.
I'll ask them if they could translate it for me.

Erik

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "ardont <tamir_at_dml_e...>" <tamir_at_dml_e...>

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 18:43:51 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: "old timer" webpage

here is the "Old Timer" webpage.  Can anyone read Japanesse here?

http://www.kiwat.com/ot/

I'm sure it doesn't give you the full article.  In fact I couldn't
even find the article.  but someone here may find the webpage
interested.

Erik

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:46:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Scott Tester <scott_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Possible Serious Problem?

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and facts! I'll get to work right away.

Scott Tester     scott(at)delorean(dot)com

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 20:48:47 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Seat Track Disassembly

Has anyone taken the seat tracks completely apart? I want to take
them apart and clean/repaint. I have the tracks off the seat, but I
want to take the runners apart prior to sandblasting/painting. Since
there appear to be a couple of ball bearings inside the track,
sandblasting without disassembly would not seem to be a good thing. I
can see that I need to drill out a couple of stamped spots, but am
wondering what anyone may have done to put them back together.

Dave S.

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:26:20 EST
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

To Mr. Ardon and list

      I bought a copy of the Old Timer magazine a month ago in Japan.
I heard that form the Japanese Delorean BBS.  The article is almost that we
can find out form http://www.entermyworld.com (I believe that most pictures
from here). It also wrote about some BTTF event in Japan, and Mr.Ardon's
life...

     I unfortunately think that some of American Delorean owners cannot find
anything new except the Mr.Ardon's life part, but many Japanese people just
know about a Delorean automobile in the BTTF movies. For them, it is quiet
interesting. Anyway I was happy about a Delorean in a Japanese magazine.

You can check the Old Timer's website
       http://www.kiwat.com/ot/
       and you can see the current magazine front page on

http://www.kiwat.com/ot/on_sale/OT58/ot_58_contents.htm
(If you can read Japanese, you can find out the words of "the Gullwing's time
machine, sad destiny sport car Delorean" beside number 20)

To Mr. Ardon, Thank you very much for all help, I am really happy to know
your wonderful website.

Blacknight

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 01:17:28 -0000
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: "old timer" webpage

> here is the "Old Timer" webpage.  Can anyone read Japanesse here?
>
> http://www.kiwat.com/ot/

Try Babel fish
http://world.altavista.com/ then enter..
http://www.kiwat.com/ot/on_sale/OT58/ot_58_contents.htm as web address,
click japanese to english and then Translate

It only show the contents of the mag tho

Chris S
UK

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:05:38 -0000
From: "lockecard <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Re: lock cylinder issues

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_h...>"
<acprice1_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> My drivers side lock cylinder is messed up somehow. The key used to
> go in and out perfectly... I have to jiggle it around
> while pushing or pulling to get it to work. >
> thanks,
> Adam

It sounds like the lock could be gummed up with dirt or old
lubricant.  Use a product like "lock-ease" to lubricate and free up
the lock. You should be able to find it at your local hardware store
or Home Depot.  Look for something specifically for locks, it will
usually have graphite in it. Don't use standard lubricants as this
may work short term but will collect dirt and cause the lock to get
worse.

Good Luck,

Stephen

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:39:56 -0800
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

Is your door key still straight?  The metal is soft and can bend over time.
Sometimes it doesn't take much to make the lock difficult to use.  I was
able to bend mine back into shape by putting it in a vise and very carefully
twisting it the opposite direction.  You may also want to use some spray
lube on your lock cylinder to keep it working optimally.

payne
proud owner of #2975  (DeMara)

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 19:15:32 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Magazine Update

Interesting note

The leading state for ordering magazines is California.
The second leading place is England and surrounding areas.

We have them in stock