From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 877
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2002 10:24 AM

From: "snextime" <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

From: "sebastain_valmont" <orentha_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

From: "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>

From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

From: "jamesrguk" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>

9. Re: Vibration & Fuel Starvation?
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Vibration & Fuel Starvation?
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. Re: Vibration & Fuel Starvation?
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

12. DeLorean for sale....again
From: "Aaron King" <floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com>

13. Re: too cool cooling, stuck thermostat?!
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. New NC owner!
From: Louie Golden <louielouieco2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Poll results for dmcnews
From: dmcnews

16. JZD?
From: "silas102000" <silas102000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: too cool cooling, stuck thermostat?!
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: Stock DMC Mufflert cutaway view...Borla
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

19. RE: too cool cooling, stuck thermostat?!
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

20. Re: Vibration & Fuel Starvation?
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Lifting rear of DeLorean
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Torsion Bar Question
From: "Aaron PETERSON" <mrroboto1_at_dml_msn.com>

23. Re: Stock DeLorean air box; Volvo 760 GLE
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

24. DeLorean Car Show Registration Update
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

25. Faded Signal Lenses
From: CancerMan <cancerman_at_dml_olg.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 01:04:23 -0000
From: "snextime" <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: Famous owners

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Some of this discussion has been covered in the past and I would encourage folks to check the archives and respond with new information that's not already available.]

i know at one time johnny carson owned a delorean but i was wondering
if anyone knows any famous people today own a delorean? i
have never heard anything about john delorean owning a delorean does
he own a delorean?

thanks
mark

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:44:06 -0000
From: "sebastain_valmont" <orentha_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: New DeLorean Topsite

www.deloreanworld.com  is a new DeLorean website that I have
created.  Please check it out.  This site is especially for Delorean
webmasters or anyone that has a DeLorean website.
I built it in the hopes of bringing together all the good DeLorean
websites out there and making it easier for people to find good
information about our beloved cars.

Thanks.
Jim #15314

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:47:22 +0000
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Re: Lifting rear of DeLorean

Joe, use about an 18" 2x6 (or 2x4) placed between the tie down hooks, lift with a floor jack.  Position supports under the wheels (I use the auto parts car ramps with bottom braces).   When safely positioned, remove the jack and place a jack stand under one side (or both) JIC (use padding, don't chip the epoxy).

The saddle comes off my floor jack, I drilled a 1" hole part way through the center of the 2x6 and drove in a short length of PVC, dropped that into the hole vacated by the saddle.

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 01:42:33 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Jacking correction

Not that it's critical, my 2x6 is 24" long.

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:28:45 -0500
From: "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>
Subject: too cool cooling, stuck thermostat?!

It seems as though I may have a stuck open thermostat. Durring these colder months my water temp never goes above that 160 degree mark between zero and 220 degrees. And in the summer it bearly goes above it and stays around 170 or 180 max. It doesn't take too long to warm up to that point, but I think it takes longer than it should. I could stand to put in a new thermostat anyway and wondered if any of you know what car I can say it is out of so I can hopefully get one locally like at autozone or something.

Sincerely, Casey at putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:22:49 -0000
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re-trimmed seat

Hi All

Today I picked up my first seat after being re-covered. And I am very impressed and very very happy with the result.

I have put three photo's on my web site, These are not the best quality a I do not have a decent Digi cam to hand, They are also in black and white to try and show the finish. When I get better shots I will swap them.

Cheers

www.paul.salsbury.btinternet.co.uk

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:12:00 EST
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Gold DMC for sale, along with other

I don't know if this has been said, but there is a decent site with cars for
sale, at www.fossilcars.com. It has a gold DeLorean for sale for $250,000.

John Feldman

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:43:25 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Vibration & Fuel Starvation?

Hi all,

I have just had various bits of work done on my car at the weekend
and everything was fine on the drive home from the Diesel Center in
Kent which was about 100mile trip.

However today I started and drove the car and it seems to stammer &
vibrate whenever I plant my foot on the floor. At first I thought it
must be fuel starvation but I have a full tank of petrol, new fuel
pump, copper pickup pipe and a new fuel filter, so what can it be?

Any ideas

Regards

James Rg
England

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:46:00 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Vibration & Fuel Starvation?

This is just a guess, but if you had the fuel filter replaced, maybe just
maybe when they installed that elbow on the bottom of the filter, they
tightened it up a little too tightly and the part of the elbow that is
screwed into the filter has touched a part of the filter inside and has
restricted the fuel flow.  This might be whats causing it to stammer when you
are trying to rev the engine up, but the fuel can't get to the engine fast
enough because of the restriction.  The only thing that doesn't make sense
about that, is that it would have done that as soon as you started the car to
leave before that 100 mile trip.  So that was really just a guess.  If its
not inside the tank, then I think the only thing it could be is the
restriction at the elbow on the fuel filter.

Later,
Nick Pitello
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:11:10 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi James

With a full tank, quickly whip off the pickup altogether - just let the pump draw freely.
This will tell you immediately if it's a pickup problem - which is what my money's on.
Are you using a pickup filter? Have you tried that in-line jobby I gave you (which
reminds me, you owe me six quid :-)

I had loads of pickup problems till I binned the pickup filter I got from Wingray and
used the in-line one. I still use the original pickup hose - I'll probably regret it when
the weather gets warmer!!!

For general interest, the in-line filter I'm using has only 1/4" ports - the larger bore
of the pickup hose seems to be overkill.

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:31:23 EST
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

In a message dated 1/23/02 5:38:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com writes:

<< At first I thought it
 must be fuel starvation but I have a full tank of petrol, new fuel
 pump, copper pickup pipe and a new fuel filter, so what can it be?

What are the last things you changed?

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:02:18
From: "Aaron King" <floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com>
Subject: DeLorean for sale....again

Hi all,

Sorry to those who tried to access my web page for my DeLorean I'm selling.
I recently moved it to a new server and accidentally erased the darn thing.
So to all who are interested, vin 1217 is still for sale.  It's an
automatic, black interior mid-early 81.  I'm asking $20,000 or best offer.
You can find all the details at: http://www.floodle.org/car.html

Once again, sorry for the outage and any inconvieniance it may have caused.

Aaron King
Bothell, WA
vin#1217

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:04:44 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: too cool cooling, stuck thermostat?!

Surely if the thermostat was stuck the fans would run non-stop? Do they cut in and out properly?

Mine's running pretty cool too at the moment - the fans have cut in once since I've had the car running (November), and that was after a good 15 minutes idling when already warm. Temperatures have ranged from 0-12 degrees C (typical British weather!)

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:13:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie Golden <louielouieco2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New NC owner!

Hello everyone,
  I just wanted to share my happiness with the list. After nearly 2 years of being a list member,
I am finally an owner! This past weekend I brought home Ben Boatrights former #10115 to Sanford,
North Carolina. I have had an absolute blast with the car already. I will have to get used to
people running over and talking to me everywhere I go though:). I go to school at UNC Charlotte,
so if any of you Charlotte area owners want to get together some time, contact me.

   I also want to take this opportunity to thank 2 list members, Brian Henson and Darren Decker.
Brian, you may not even remember me, but I met you nearly 2 years ago at the Charlotte Autofair...
by you talking to my parents, and pointing me to the DML, you paved my path to ownership. Thank
you! And to Darren, thanks for taking me under your wing, you have taught me so much! And thanks
to all the other great list members that I have met as well.

Louie Golden
#10115 (man it feels good to be able to do that!)

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Date: 24 Jan 2002 02:27:10 -0000
From: dmcnews
Subject: Poll results for dmcnews

The following dmcnews poll is now closed.  Here are the
final results:

POLL QUESTION: Which interior is nicest - black
leather or gray leather?

CHOICES AND RESULTS
- Black, 16 votes, 37.21%
- Gray, 27 votes, 62.79%

INDIVIDUAL VOTES
- Black
     - corey_at_dml_stup.net
     - sitz_at_dml_onastick.net
     - mquinto_at_dml_mediaone.net
     - Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
     - illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com
     - acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com
     - mvanyo_at_dml_delorean.com
     - dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com
     - ricecooker_ws6_at_dml_hotmail.com
     - Whalt_at_dml_att.net
     - comet4055_at_dml_juno.com
     - jcchavez_at_dml_mindspring.com
     - SPR1635_at_dml_aol.com
     - tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
     - protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - dmc_delorean_2000_at_dml_yahoo.com
- Gray
     - gerenpreiss_at_dml_netscape.net
     - TRWILKE_at_dml_aol.com
     - Verbrugghe_at_dml_delorean.com
     - delorean_at_dml_ramblerman.com
     - edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - dclark_at_dml_3d2u.com
     - arnie_at_dml_pndc.org
     - DMC5524_at_dml_hotmail.com
     - michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com
     - khyron_21502_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - xynext_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com
     - louie_at_dml_delorean.com
     - shain_at_dml_elecmods.com
     - ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com
     - NJP548_at_dml_aol.com
     - jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl
     - maryroseberg_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
     - delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com
     - delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com
     - murrayf_at_dml_hscis.net
     - haneydr_at_dml_yahoo.com
     - gmfm1_at_dml_att.net
     - ultra_at_dml_isd.net
     - jack_at_dml_sacketmansion.com

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:34:53 -0000
From: "silas102000" <silas102000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: JZD?

Does any one know John Zachary DeLorean's bith date?

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:17:51 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

It could be a stuck thermostat or it could be something in the cooling
fan circuit that keeps the fans running constantly. The cooling fans
should cycle and if the car is running that cool the fans should be
off. Another possibility is your temp gauge is not reading correctly.
You can check this quickly by just putting your hand on the hose by
the pump. It should be hot enough that you can't keep your hand on
very long. A Volvo dealer should be able to get you a replacement or
any large auto store that has a large stock of import parts. Don't
forget you will also need a gasket. The thermostat can be removed and
tested. You stick it in some water with a thermometer and heat the
water up. It should be closed to start and open somewhere close to the
temp stamped on it. Maybe someone removed the thermostat and now you
don't even have one! It is important for the car to operate at the
correct temperature. Running too cold ruins the mileage and because
the clearances are "open" ie: running too cold they don't close up so
the oil gets diluted from combustion products getting into the
crankcase accelerating wear.

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:39:54 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Stock DMC Mufflert cutaway view...Borla

In a message dated 1/23/02 11:28:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com writes:

>     I can offer this advice. A New York City DeLorean owner, Kayo Ong,
> drives
> his DeLorean everyday. He spent some serious money with a custom exhaust
> designer and fabricator for his DeLorean.  Maybe he can share his thoughts
> why he replaced the custom setup with the stock, factory, OEM DeLorean
> exhaust.
>
> Keep it stock.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Michael Pack

Hello Mike, yes I can help with the answer.  The system was engineered,
manufactured and installed by an exhaust specialist in Southern New Jersey.
The system consists of two separate manifold pipes, then into two separate
catalytic converters.  From the outlets of each cats, they are connected into
two separate inlets of a FLOWMASTER muffler.  From the Flowmaster muffler
there were dual outlets with special exhaust tips.

I had this custom system on my DeLorean for less then two months and I had it
removed.  The "pressure" in the cabin of the vehicle and on my "chest," along
with the "droning" sound was too much for my liking on long drives, besides I
couldn't hear my audio system.  The other factors are that the exhaust system
didn't help in improving the engine performance nor the gas mileage.

I later found out that Rob from PJ Grady had an Flowmaster muffler on his
Green DeLorean and he too had it removed, for he was not satisfied for many
reasons.  Rob had then replaced it with a Borla muffler which failed (first
one -- it blew up) and then it was replaced with another Borla muffler which
is currently on his car.  As far as Borla dropping the muffler from their
manufacturing and sales, I don't know???  I asked them about four years ago,
would they make one for me, they said yes, about a three to four months
waiting period.  BTW ... the Borla muffler IS NOT CHEAP, it is over a "G"
note, just the muffler itself!  It cost more then the DeLorean's OEM mufller
and all the componets.

So, the bottom line "KEEP IT STOCK" to avoid hassles and disappointments.  If
you must change the exhaust system, start with a custom headers -- I
understand that helps.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:53:52 -0600
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

They won't run if it's stuck open.  Thermostats open and close as
the engine temperature dictates.  The idea is to keep the engine
running within an "ideal" temperature range.

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:03:22 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

James, Has the CPR or warm-up regulator been replaced and if so did they
check the pressure to see if was to low or to high. Make sure the Idle CO
adjustment isn't to rice or lean. This must be done when the car is at normal
running temp. Both starvation or running rich can do what your talking about
and it can happen anytime. Other things like injectors spray pattern, crimped
return fuel line or a reptured rubber hose fuel line can also cause this.
There are small filters in the fuel distributor and in the injectors.
Something may have been disturbed. Fuel filter with the connector could be a
problem if to tight. Fuel pump could be defective even new.
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:03:07 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you support the rear of the car there be careful as when you let
the weight of the car down onto the jackstands they will move outward
as the wheels move up. Also position the jackstands carefuly so that
they don't hit the inside of the tires as the car settles onto the
jackstands. I use a rag on a floor jack to lift the car in the rear
but for the front a short piece of 2x4 behind the crumple zone to
spread out the weight. The mounting point for the rear shocks is
strong enough but it takes a little positioning to get the jackstands
set so the are not hitting the tires and aren't wobbly. I don't think
you will be able to do it properly with blocks unless you remove the
tires.

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:21:36 -0600
From: "Aaron PETERSON" <mrroboto1_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Torsion Bar Question

Hello there,

I posted a message a while ago about what to do about a faulty torsion bar on the driver side door. I was wondering if you can't twist the bar itself, while one end is in the hinge, to take out the bend and put it back into the hinge. Of course I have not tried it or attempt to do it, I was just wondering if that sort of technique is possible?
Thanks.
Aaron Peterson
car#7126

Take Pride In Yourself!

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:24:13 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Stock DeLorean air box; Volvo 760 GLE

Michael, I have seen the air box on several Volvo' 760's and it seems to be
smaller inlet than what the stock Delorean is now. I don't mean the diameter
of the opening air flow meter but the size and restriction of the air going
in through the plastic.. It looks like a smaller volume of air flow.
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:46:01 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Registration Update

Hi

I have recieved a number of e-mails from people that believe the show is
already sold out.  While that is wishful thinking it has not sold out yet,
although it is getting close.
All events are still open and hotel rooms are still available.  The Saturday
evening event is the one that is tight.  I believe the rest of the events
will be fine and will remain open probably to the May 1st deadline.

Friday is when John and George Crane will be speaking and that has plenty of
room.  they gave me the other section of the hall so its no problem at this
point,

There are still rooms at the Raddison (about 20 It think) and they told me I
can have 10 more although that won't make a huge difference.  (200 rooms
total)
1-800-333-3333 Raddison
{FYI Cincinnati used 71 rooms and Cleveland used 120 rooms}  You won't want
to miss Memphis.

The show will be full when the rooms are gone.

Over 100 of you have event registered so far for the events and with the
names on the Hotel list I am anticipating being at about 350 people so far
for most of the events.

We are doing all we can to accommodate everyone that wants to come but it is
filling up rapidly.  Guess a lot of you had a New Years Resolution to
register because I got blasted last week with reservations (thank you).

There are over 25 people coming from Europe or other countries including Rob
Lamrock who put on that great show in Ireland this past year.

One note

The Show is based on our Deloreans but we have added the Theme of Music to
the show.  This time there are a variety of live entertainment for your
enjoyment throughout the day Saturday.  If you enjoy Music in addition to the
cars you will not want to miss this show.  The music covers from the 20's to
present day.

A lot has gone into Graceland and the people there have been great.  We are
working to accommodate as many of you as possible and again I do not see any
capacity problems at this time with any event but the Saturday Graceland
event based on the early distribution of registrations so far.

While Graceland (Heartbreak) has no Hotel rooms available it has come to my
attention that there has been cancellations and a room or two has been added
now and then because of other tours cancelling rooms or people with multiple
rooms cutting back ( We now have all but 20 rooms in the Hotel). Its a hit or
miss and I am not tracking that.  So good luck.

Again thank you for your interest in the show we are working hard to make
this the best show it can be.

If you haven't registered for a hotel room and wish to come please do so.
1-800-333-3333 Raddison

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:42:19 -0500
From: CancerMan <cancerman_at_dml_olg.com>
Subject: Faded Signal Lenses

The amber color on my rear tail lens has faded to a yucky yellow color.
Can I use some kind of dye or paint to restore the color?
Any suggestions appreciated. -Jeremy