From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 920
Date: Monday, February 25, 2002 12:52 PM

1. Re: A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)
From: Andrew Smith <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

2. Re: A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)
From: hugo mederos <miami5606_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. DMC-12 Ground Effects (was DeLorean World Article)
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

4. Re: Crossover pumps
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: repairing OEM fuel sender
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

7. Infinity Kappa 32.1 cf speakers...
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Delorean World Article
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: better door "launchers"
From: "sitzus" <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

10. Sunstar gold Delorean
From: "Darrin Nieves" <d_nieves_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Ignition switch
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

12. Re: Delorean World Article
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

13. Rotary engine
From: "Chris Boden" <cboden_at_dml_thegeekgroup.org>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:59:23 -0600 (CST)
From: Andrew Smith <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: Re: A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Walter Coe wrote:

> Maybe your problem is that you hooked up the wrong wire.  There are two
> wires that go to the Ducy alternator, but John Hervey's only uses one of
> them.

I wish it was that simple (maybe it still is?)...

Have a look at http://yo.fuh-q.org/photos/?album=20020221&image=p1010007.jpg
and you can see the old alternator in place.  It's a Motorola, not a
Ducellier.  Coming up to the back of the alternator, you can see two
bundles of beige wires (total of six wires) and a single red wire (behind
the beige wires, eventually going into that little piece of plastic
conduit.

The two large bundles of wires are hooked onto the "BATT" bolt on the new
alternator, and the single red wire is hooked onto the single red wire
(which came with a connector) on the new alternator.

I'm really not sure how this could be done any differently, but if I've
made a mistake, I'm all ears.  :)

-andrew
 #4115, Houston TX

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:29:32 -0800 (PST)
From: hugo mederos <miami5606_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I got the 150 amp and seems to be working fine.
John did stress the use of the yellow/brown fire.
Its a yellow strip brown wire nad you do not use the
other or it will damage your alternator.

look at the scematics on his sight.
specialtauto.com for refrences.

Hugo

http://sports.yahoo.com

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:47:41 -0600
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>
Subject: DMC-12 Ground Effects (was DeLorean World Article)

Steve,

The only De I've seen with ground effects was owned by Darrin Decker
seen at the SouthEastern DeLorean Owners Club. If you can find him, he
might be one to ask.

Farrar Hudkins
New Orleans, LA
'98 Ranger XLT "Laggy"

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:33:26 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Crossover pumps

Steve, As I said, Any shop can press on a pulley and put one on. There is
virtually no risk of damaging a water pump , and if a shop does it as we do
then I'm sure they will stand behind it. P. J.  and I sell the new original
aluminum pulley and I have also turned them in steel instead of aluminum.
Yes, you might be able to buy a Pep Boy's water pump guaranteed for life, but
it's the $65.00/hour to take it on and off that gets you if they do it. And,
who's life are you talking about. Water pumps with a little maintain can last
20 years. We see that now with cars that still have the original pumps.
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/engine.shtml

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:28:59 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There usually is a high frequency noise from alternaters especially
when putting out near full load. A squeaky noise is indicitive of a
bad bearing which doesn't go away and will get louder with time.
Contact the vender and discuss this and the wiring problem with him.
It could also be belt noise. To confirm while the motor is running
squirt a little water on the belt. If the noise changes or goes away
it is a belt or pulley problem. Low voltage problems are commonly
caused by dirty ground connections or one of the "big" wires from the
battery, alternater, or starter. Check them all out because if that is
the source of the voltage problem changing the alternater doesn't fix
it. I don't think you are really refering to the "field" wire. The
wire you are really connecting to is the "Voltage sense wire" which
goes to the internal voltage regulater. If it really is the field wire
then you will not have any output regulation and will cook the
battery. I also recently purchesed the Valetine radar detector and
although I haven't used it in my "D" yet it is a huge improvement over
the older units I have used.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Andrew Smith <aos+yahoo_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> All my previous questions have been answered so well, so I have
returned
> with another!  :)
>
> I was experiencing very low voltage (like 8), particularly while at
idle,
> so I picked up the 150 amp alternator from John Hervey at
specialtauto.com
> (and it arrived incredibly fast--thanks John), but after
installation,

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:53:20 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: repairing OEM fuel sender

Walter, As you may or may not know, I have repaired several sending units, if
they can be repaired and I also warrantee them. The bottom of the tank
contact I modify so it will always come on. Let me know if I can help.

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:55:22 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Infinity Kappa 32.1 cf speakers...

Hey List,

    Just wanted to know if anyone on here has installed these speakers on
their car and had any problems with the tweeter protrusion on the dashboard?
I am interested in these speakers but don't want to get into any problems
when tightening them into place.  Also if anyone has any other kind of
tweeters that they have installed and like.  Thanks!

Later,
Nick Pitello
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:24:43 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean World Article

Steve:

That is my car.

The kit is available from PJ Grady.  There are two kits available.  The one
that is on my car is a style that I got some five years ago.  I am not sure
that Rob is still selling that one.

One of my friend purchased a set from Rob last year before the Fall Tour and
he got the one with the Lotus "style." The Lotus style has a hole as a ram
air scoop about 3/4 from the front and in the middle of the skirt it has the
name DeLorean embossed as the same way as the rear bumper.  I personally do
like this side skirts because they are slightly smaller with a different
configuration and looks aerodynamic.  The one I have makes the car look
bottom heavy -- "fat."  I also don't like the Lotus style for it has the name
on it, which makes the DeLorean less conservative and more for the younger
mind set.  I understand it can be order without it.  The other problem is
that the hole is open and you can see through the other side.  It SHOULD and
can be made to "work" as a real ram air scoop except, it will require a lot
of work to do so.

I would suggest that you ask Rob as the styles he has available.  I hope that
helps.  I will send you photo of my car.

BTW.  The front spoiler is from J.C. Whitney and is no longer available.  It
is made of rubber which will take the punishment much better then the
fiberglass one and I don't suggest the latter one which is available from
Rob.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:15:02 -0000
From: "sitzus" <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>
Subject: Re: better door "launchers"

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Michael  Quinto" <mquinto_at_dml_m...> wrote:

> Solenoids VS Actuators. I don't know. The actuators I've seen max
out at
> 15lb. of pull. If Darryl has or knows where to get actuators with
more pull
> force. Then try his. I don't think that 15lb. is good enough,
thats why I
> swapped out my Solenoids for bigger ones.

<random>

A quick googling turned up these...

http://www.rotomation.com/ppnit.htm

...with an advertised 56lbs of pull. No clue if they're appropriate
for this application, but proof they they exist.

Noah the vaguely helpful

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:14:05 -0500
From: "Darrin Nieves" <d_nieves_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Sunstar gold Delorean

Has anybody gotten their gold Sunstar Delorean yet?  I've pre-ordered this
thing months ago and still mothing.

Not a Delorean owner (but would love to have a one with my RX-7's rotary 13B
inside of it)

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:07:20 +0000
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Ignition switch

Both of my DMC12s had the same basic problem, when inserting the key
there was resistance, had to turn the key over a time or two, sometimes
wiggle it a little to get it to work.  My basic remedy for key cylinders
is WD-40, an excellent penetrant and lubricant.  Powdered graphite has
never worked for me, it's also a conductor (I'm not going to say it can
migrate and take out your O2 sensor but it is worthless in lock cylinder
applications) on my latest one I also applied a film of silicone grease
(that I mentioned a few posts back) on the key, worked it in and out a
few times and it's like new.

Les

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:48:42 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

Steve:

Tried to send you pics of my DeLorean privately to your e-mail address.
It bounced that there is no such e-mail address.

Kayo

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:32:00 -0500
From: "Chris Boden" <cboden_at_dml_thegeekgroup.org>
Subject: Rotary engine

From: "Darrin Nieves" <d_nieves_at_dml_hotmail.com>

>Not a Delorean owner (but would love to have a one with my RX-7's rotary 13B
>inside of it)

Already working on it :) Once we locate an old DeLorean to get donated (HELP!) The Geek Group plans to refit it with a Mazda rotary engine or possibly even a 3-rotor Cosmo engine :) Should give it a serious bit of kick.

--
Christopher A. Boden
Geek#-1 Rank G-6

To donate to the Group click here.