From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 937
Date: Saturday, March 09, 2002 11:57 AM

1. Re: Drive Axles thunking?
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

2. Re: Yokohama AVS Intermediates
From: "jv_espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. Door Ajar light stays on all the time...please help
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

4. Maryland Delorean owners
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

5. Re: Window switch will not mount correctly in console
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Gauges and 140 speedo
From: "dmc6960" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

7. What to monitor...
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

8. Re: Re: Drive Axles thunking?
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

9. Re: Re: Yokohama AVS Intermediates
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

10. Re. lowered front end and jacking? + Spring Change
From: "jamesrguk" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>

11. RE: Brakes
From: "Bob & Vicky Miller" <delo1_at_dml_mindspring.com>

12. Porsche engine was Re: New Frame
From: "Andrei Cular" <acular1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

13. Re: Re brushing stainless steel panels
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. Yokohama AVS Tires
From: "Bob Thomason" <rdt7_at_dml_carolina.rr.com>

15. Re: Door Ajar light stays on all the time...please help
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

16. Re: Depthe of radio (Was: DMC Houston radio Bracket Question (and others...))
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

17. Memphis - Delorean Car Show
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Re: Window switch will not mount correctly in console
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Re: Window switch will not mount correctly in console
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

20. Re: Door Ajar light on all the time
From: "janvdwouw" <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

21. Re: Door Ajar light stays on all the time...please help
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: Door Ajar light stays on all the time...please help
From: "Adam Price" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. RE: Door Ajar light stays on all the time...please help
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

24. Re: What to monitor...
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

25. Re: Re: Idler pully bearings
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:41:03 -0000
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Drive Axles thunking?

Walt - I don't know all of the sources for "clunking" in the corners,
but you may want to verify that the small bolts used to attach the
trailing arm bushings to the frame are secure.  My first exposure to
the trailing arm arrangement was when one of the attachment bolts fell
out completely, and the other came loose, but was still in the hole
(more or less).  The bushing could slide all over the place.  The only
thing holding the joint together was the large flat washer on the
inside of the bushing common to the TAB.  Other sources that I have
heard about include the underbody-to-frame bolts missing, and improper
shimming of the axles into the hub carrier.  Perhaps a suspension
bushing in one of the lateral links may have gone bad as well?
Complex system, with lots of possibilities!

BTW - I know that you picked up a set of TOBY-TAB's.  How did the
installation go?  What was your impression of the quality of the
parts?  Were the installation hints helpful?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> On my automatic, I can grab the drive shafts and move them
side-to-side just a little.  I'm wondering if this could be the cause
of my clunking.  I have already replaced the TABs, and it still clunks
in turns.  Maybe a loose frame-to-fiberglass bolt hidden in a pontoon?

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 04:45:36 -0000
From: "jv_espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Yokohama AVS Intermediates

From my conversations with our Yokohama rep at the SEMA/AAPEX show in
Las Vegas last fall, the AVS Intermediate is dead. Whatever is left in the
supply chain is all there is. It's been replaced with the AVS ES100, which is
supposed to be a better tire, but as of the show, not made in the stock rear
sizes, just the front sizes. I have sent off an email to confirm, as he mentioned
that the sizes announced were preliminary and subject to change. If I hear
anything I will post it to the list.

James

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:03:26 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Door Ajar light stays on all the time...please help

Hi everyone..as many of you know, i just replaced my stereo and speakers,
but i now have a nagging problem.

I took my car out for a short run tonight, and noticed that my "Door Ajar"
light stays on all the time.  I check the switches on the doors themselves,
and all seems to be good with them.  I disconnected the switches, and the
door light STILL stays on.

I did a quick check of wires, and everything seems to be in proper order.

Can anyone tell me what i might have done, or where this short might be
occuring?!!!

I noticed, that the light glows at about 80% illumination when the doors are
closed, and when I open one of the doors, it glows brighter..almost as
though it is making a subtle connection, and then the actual switch makes a
solid connection to complete the circuit.

Please help!  It is driving me nuts!  (keep in mind that i am not any kind
of mechanic, or electrical wiz, so easy to understand instructions please!)

Thanks!

Kevin Abato
Vin# 18860

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:41:25 EST
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Maryland Delorean owners

Would DeLorean Owner Matt Sommer of Silver Spring Maryland email me privately?

Sincerely,
Michael Pack

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 00:06:04 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Window switch will not mount correctly in console

In a message dated 3/5/02 6:42:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, Whalt_at_dml_att.net
writes:

> Mine are particularly annoying because they
> just don't stay put.  There is always one side that keeps popping up.

My window switches pop up too, and I know why.  I carefully pried them out
one at a time to swap the switches. I wanted to test if this made any
difference in my passenger side window not working.  I also cleaned them both
then put them back in place. There are tiny little plastic tabs that hold
them in place, and one tab broke off each switch as I carefully removed it.
(No tools, just fingers.) I haven'[t gotten around to figuring out how to
make them stay down, and I don't need or want to replace them. Anyone got any
ideas?

Wayne A. Ernst
DMCTech Group

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 21:09:54 -0000
From: "dmc6960" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Re: Gauges and 140 speedo

Here is another good opportunity to plug my product.

I am working on a back-lighting conversion for the stock DeLorean
instrument cluster.  No, it will not be indiglo (I really hate those)
but it will illuminate closely matching most modern cars, along with
the stock AC/Heater panel.  The gauges will keep an all-black
background, with white lettering that will illuminate in green, and
blue, orange, and red will illuminate respectively.  Along with this
conversion, I will be making different decals for the speedometer, so
people will have an option between an 85mph, 140mph, and 170mph.
Eventually, I also plan to make metric decals.

Along with all that, I will also eventually reproduce the AC/Heater
panel (both plastic AND decal) which will be much higher quality than
the original. And also, new decals inserts for the headlight and
hazard buttons which will NOT fade when pushed directly upon.

I really hope to get the backlit gauge conversion finished by the end
of this year, and hopefully have a sneek peak demo during the Memphis
car show this June.

Anyone with questions about this whole project can email me directly,
at ultra(at)isd.net

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 00:23:32 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: What to monitor...

Kind of a stupid question, so please respond privately:

I'm in the process of making a small display that goes where
the clock originally lives. This panel will be used to monitor
several ELECTRICAL functions of my DeLorean.

At the moment I'm working on the design for the face plate,
when that's finished I know what to wire and how.

Now here's the question: what shall I monitor?
I have at least 6 spaces to make individual monitors,
and a maximum of 12 spaces.

So far I have:
-Cooling Fan 1
-Cooling Fan 2
-Otterstat
-A/C-compressor
-Alarm-status (after market off course)

The first 4 function together: since I have a FanZilla in my car,
I will be able to see the fans cycle separately AND I can see
WHY they cycle: Engine Temp. or A/C

I have at least one space to fill, but If you have more suggestions
they're welcome too off course. (My car's a manual, so selected gear
or active solenoids is not a possibility. Mail me at <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
(that's <jvdwouw[at]home.nl> for Web-readers)

Thanks,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 19:11:51 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Drive Axles thunking?

Walt

A little play in the axle shafts is normal.  In fact, you have to have
this to accommodate axle extension for uneven roads and bouncing of the
car, (like when you go airborne over a hill!! :)

Bob

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 19:31:09 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Yokohama AVS Intermediates

Well, I was the one who originated the previous thread on the Yokos
being discontinued. I did indeed contact Yokohama directly, and as I
reported at the time, they stated very clearly that the AVS Intermediate
line was being discontinued. There was no equivocation. Some people
didn't want to believe this, and there were posts to the effect that "I
was still
able to buy a set", but I do not recall anyone reporting that Yoko
contradicted what they told me (the fact that I don't remember this
doesn't mean that it didn't happen, of course).  I have no information
except what they told me, but what they told me was very clear.

There is probably a large number of tires floating around in the
distribution channels, so I suspect that a concerted search would
yield success (I found mine at a Sears).  And maybe what I was told
isn't true. But if you really have your heart set on Yokos, I wouldn't
tarry.

--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:48:31 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re. lowered front end and jacking? + Spring Change

Hi,

I have lowerd my front and I can't get my jack under it, I have to
use the DMC sissor jack on the jacking point to raise the car a
couple of inches before the other jack will roll under. But the
change in appearance is well worth the hassell.

On the spring changing front, I had a mobile mechanic come and do
mine while I was at work it cost me 30. He said that the stock
springs were very long for the car, as his spring compressor came
apart befor the spring had full returned to size, luckly there was
only a bit of spring left in it by that time.

James RG

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:54:19 -0500
From: "Bob & Vicky Miller" <delo1_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Brakes

[MODERATOR'S NOTE - This message was reformatted a bit to make the question and the response clear.]

In a message dated 3/6/02 10:19:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
srubano_at_dml_optonline.com writes:

>> I know the current cross reference for the front calipers is from a
>> Mercury Capri. It would be interesting (although not necessary) to
>> do this conversion on the D :).
>>

> What year Capri?   Don

hello all 1976 capri. bob miller

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:51:11 -0500
From: "Andrei Cular" <acular1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Porsche engine was Re: New Frame

It is a horizontal 6 not straight.  Has anyone looked at 1988 or newer 944s
engine?  it is a 2.7 inline turbo 4 cyl water cooled with about 220hp at the
flywheel stock.  With a few simple mods you can run 250-300hp at the rear
wheels as a reliable daily driver.  The only problem I see is traction since
it is an all aluminum engine which weighs very little.

Andrei
dmc-2767

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:50:51 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re brushing stainless steel panels

Don and group, I have the tool for finishing the Delorean. If any one would
like to use it and will take responsibality for it , I will rent or loan it.
If you would like to see pictures of it I can also put it on the web site.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:37:49 -0500
From: "Bob Thomason" <rdt7_at_dml_carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Yokohama AVS Tires

I also tried to locate Yokohama AVS's for my car last week. I tried TireRack and several shops around the region. I was told by all that the tire had been discontinued. I wound up buying Michelin Pilot XGT's for my rear. Still have the Yokohama's on the front.

Bob Thomason

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:53:07 -0800
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

Kevin,

You don't by chance have one of DMC Joe's battery saver light switches
that lays in the luggage compartment behind the seats?  If you do,  the
door ajar light will stay on with the doors closed if the switch is in
the off position.  Flip the switch on and the door ajar light will go off.

Bill Lane

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:28:15 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Depthe of radio (Was: DMC Houston radio Bracket Question (and others...))

On 08-03-2002 andy wrote:

> the reason most aftermarket decks stick out in the front
> is because the deck is actually built deeper than the OEM deck!

I don't know about the ASI-decks, but the original Craig I took
out of my car was allmost 2" LONGER than the DIN-style Kenwood
I put in then...
Because of this I was unable to attach the support strip at the
back, but I wasn't going to anyway.
Instead I used a sort of "cross-bar" between the two sides of the
bracket, packed in an old piece (for noise- and electrical insulation)
and of hose which the reck lies on at the back.

Most modern radio's I've built into cars are SHORTER than the old
ones, even when they sport an internal CD-player...

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:44:03 EST
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Memphis - Delorean Car Show

  Well, per my calculations, the upcoming Delorean Car Show in Memphis is now
only 95 days away. I can't wait for this event to actually happen, but at the
same time I'm not even close to being ready for it either (just too much
stuff I want to do to the car before Memphis)
   Is everyone all signed up and ready to go ? I was speaking with Ken the
other night about the show and he was telling me that some of the events are
already almost sold out from the stand point of how many people he has room
for. Unfortunately these maximum capacity numbers that Ken has to work with
for some of these events are set by the local fire marshals and not by Ken
himself. This means if you don't get registered and get included now, Ken
won't be able "sneak" you in later. If you haven't already registered you may
be finding out shortly that it may be too late to sign up for some of the
events you're interested in attending. As of right now I think Ken still has
room left for all the events, but that could change very quickly. He fills
the events as he receives the registrations, so it's a "first come - first
served" type thing.
    I think Ken is planning on posting something to the DML as events fill
up. But if you haven't registered yet, I sure wouldn't wait until then.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing many old friends and hopefully will
be able to put faces with names for many more new friends from the DML.

    See you in 95 days !!!   Marty

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:47:15 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Switches, Other than wraping some friction tape around them till they seat
properly, not much you can do when the tabs break off. As far as making the
windows go up and down with out taking them out. Remove the cap and take
something insulated, like your little finger or a match stick and push down
gently on the contact. Then the windows will go up and down as long as the
problem is in the switch. If you don't want to buy new ones, then send then
to me and i will fix them for $10.00 ea.
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:06:35 +0000
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

As previously mentioned, plas-t-pair will repair most anything plastic, you can use a
small drop to make a new ear, you can drill it or file it, whatever.  It's about $10 at
electronic supply houses (it's liquid and powder epoxy) for the regular size.  You'll
find a lot of uses for it once you see what it is.  It sets up fast to a very tough
plastic, vastly superior to JB weld etc. for certain usages ( like your window switch
problem).

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 23:37:50 -0000
From: "janvdwouw" <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Door Ajar light on all the time

Kevin Abato"  wrote:
> I took my car out for a short run tonight,  and
> noticed that my "Door Ajar" light stays on all the time.
> I check the switches on the doors themselves,
> and all seems to be good with them.  I disconnected
> the switches, and the door light STILL stays on.

Do the courtesy lights work? If not, check the #12 fuse
or (if you have one) whether the Battery Saver
(by DMC Joe) is switched off.
Lack of +12V on the lights system, either by switch or
blown fuse can cause the dash-light to come on due
to a sort of feedback loop.
This has to do with the fact that the dash-light is on a
different fuse circuit.

I'm not 100% sure this will be it, but it IS the most
logical and common occurence of this problem.
See messages #17609, #17611, #17612 and #17619
for example.

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 04:47:51 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

To troubleshoot this problem you do need a little electrical
knowledge. To try to do this without is a lot harder. Try the obvious
things like looking for crossed, pinched, wires, grounded wires at the
wrong spots or bad grounds, wrong or improperly installed bulbs,
melted lamp housings etc. Follow the wires by color and make sure all
connections are correct and clean. Check the switches to make sure
they aren't grounding at the wrong spot. Check that the wires for the
2 switches by the driver's door, the light switch and the buzzer
switch aren't mixed together. If all of these simple things seem right
then it is possible that you may have a bad diode. If you don't know
how to test them just replace all of them (4). They aren't expensive
and you can get them in Radio Shack. It's not good tthat the door ajar
light stays on, it will eventually kill the battery. The lite should
go out by pulling fuse #12 with the key off. If it doesn't you have
more problems.

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:34:38 -0800
From: "Adam Price" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have a similar problem. My door lights dont work anymore, they did when i
first bought the car, and when I turn on any of the two interior lights, my
door ajar ight comes on. It still operates normally with the doors though.
Also my glove box light works, but is extremely dim, and the two interior
lights don't turn on, they only activate the door ajar light.

Adam

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 01:02:07 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Ahh...Thank you Bill...but, I already figured it out.

I had removed the courtesy fuse as to not kill my battery while working on
my car.  I went nuts for about a day wondering why I had this problem, and a
friend suggested checking all the fuses in the car...as a final last effort
before going insane, I reinstalled the Courtesy fuse, and...WHAMO!  Light
went off, and all was good in the world.

Thanks anyway!

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1904 00:49:23 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: What to monitor...

Exactly how does your system monitor? It is a 4 digit display.

can it measure current and/or voltages?

BOB

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:39:26 EST
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com