From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 940
Date: Monday, March 11, 2002 4:34 AM

From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: Stephen Sætrang <smj_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

From: "beatlesra1" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: "jason3625" <jason_at_dml_pcupgraders.com>

From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

11. Re: Replacing spark plug leads
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:10:09 -0000
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Diodes I think.....

Hi all

Whilst playing around in the footwell on the drivers side, I started to have
a good look around at the wiring.

Where the main loom goes towards the back of the car, just as it disappears
in behind the centre consol there are what looks like 3 Different coloured
plastic tubes Red, Blue and Black.

The red one was Not connected both sides..... It had two purple/blue wires
going into it the end pointing to the front of the car. After a quick
rummage around I found an unconnected spade terminal with two purple/white
wires, which had the perfect reach to this 'diode'.

1. should these be connected
2. what is it for
3. why would it be unconnected / any harm done?

www.paul.salsbury.btinternet.co.uk

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 12:11:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Stephen Sætrang <smj_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Valance white mounting clips??

My rear valance was damaged from a blow out at about 70mph and as a
result I lost one of the white mounting clips (the other one became
damaged).  The pins on the rear quarter panel are fine.  I'm looking
for a source for these white plastic clips.  I don't believe dmc houston has any.  Please email me privately.  Thank you.

Vin #2533

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Run a small business? Then you need professional email like you_at_dml_yourbiz.com from Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net?tag

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 01:48:22 -0500
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: De Lorean on TV

A brief search on yahoogroups yielded nothing, and I can't remember
seeing this posted, so I thought I'd chime in...

JZD was recently on the TLC (the learning channel) show:  "10 best
STINGS"... yet another show in their 10 best series...  Number 10 was the
De Lorean sting.  It had FBI hidden camera footage about "the drug
conspiracy".  I must say it was truly heartbreaking and rather
upsetting...

Jim 1537

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:35:35 -0000
From: "beatlesra1" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Hot start

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "paulus260572" <paulus29_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> With the hot start problem I keep having I have almost given up on
> the problem.
> As I have tried everything bar change the fuel pump incase the
valve
> has gone this is what I did for now.
>
> I have a switch now on the console with a light on it and when the
> car won't start from hot I can press the switch it activates the
cold
> start valve and then I switch it off quick so I keep the engine
> running,works fine once you time it right.
>
> It's just a way round it by not going to the engine and swaping the
> plugs around.
>

> Paul Heymeson.Vin 741.

Paul,
I can feel for ya! I too have a hot start problem and changed my fuel
accumulator.. I still have a hot start problem! so maybe mine is the
Fuel distributor..

Chuck.
Vin#6125

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:55:18 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You have the classic hard hot start problem since when you use the
cold start valve the engine will start. The problem will be either or
both the fuel accumulater and check valve on the fuel pump. Remove the
drain (return line) on the fuel accumulater and if fuel comes out of
the accumulater it's bad. If not then replace the check valve on the
fuel pump. If you do have to replace the accumulater be very careful
not to damage the fuel lines as to replace them you must lift the
body! You need the check valve and the fuel accumulater to hold up the
system rest pressure when hot so the car will start beacause the cold
start valve doesn't activate when the engine is warm-hot.

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:47:55 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Lights Staying on...

Who's our electrical guru? :-)

I hope I'm not going over old ground here, but you do realise the lights are MEANT to
stay on after you shut the door, don't you? There's a dimming circuit which times about
10-15sec and then dims them out.

The reason I write this even though it's probably stating the obvious, is that there's
something loose in my setup such that 50% of the time, shutting the door results in an
instant switch-off, and the other 50% of the time, they stay on and dim out after
10-15secs. Have you watched them for a bit after shutting the door when they stay on? It
perfectly possible there's something up the creek in your dimmer, but a good slam
overrides it anyway, like mine.

As to chasing down the bugs in my system: The design of the dome lights themselves is so
inconceivably awful, that once today shutting the door turned the interior light ON,
which then proceeded to dim on the timer....

I also have a problem with the switch on the pass door - going round a left hand turn a
bit quick usually results in the door ajar light flickering. Not a major problem in
itself, but if they're set, the blasted dome lights switch on. I've been meaning to
twiddle the switch myself.

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:45:52 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The door switches in the front door jambs are supposed to have little
rubber covers on the ends that hit the doors as they close. On many
cars that I have seen they are either missing or worn. When they
aren't in good shape they don't move the switch all of the way in to
shut off the lights or maybe the lights blink on and off as you drive
because the doors shake a little. You can substitute a short piece of
vacuum hose to test this. The other less likely possibility is a bad
Courtesy Delay Lamp Relay. It is relay #23 White. Refer to M:07:02 for
location. Pull it out and see if the problem goes away.

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:22:01 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: SEDOC Update

The Southeastern DeLorean Owners Club information listed in the DML "Clubs" section is out dated. Here is updated information with HTML code.

The Southeastern DeLorean Owners Club was formed in July of 1986 and is the largest DeLorean owners club in the southeastern
United States.<br>
President
<A
href="mailto:john.jordan_at_dml_ed.gov">John Jordan</A>

Regards,
DMC Joe, SEDOC webmaster

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 01:39:17 -0000
From: "jason3625" <jason_at_dml_pcupgraders.com>
Subject: Steering Column Play

I am a Proud new owner of an August 81.... The steering column, I
noticed while Driving it home the first time,  has about an Inch play
up and down and going over bumps it rattles.  The problem is not the
adjustment with the Wing Nut (Near the Front) it appears to be
hitting the "Fire Wall" where is leaves the passenger compartment.  I
would think that it there is some kind of Rubber or Silicon bushing
that the Steering column rests on to prevent the column from touching
the "FireWall"  I looked at the parts manual but I don't see anything
there.  Any Ideas?

Thanks
Jason
Dayton, Ohio

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:30:43 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

On 10-03-2002 Kenneth wrote:

> My interior overhead lights ... (reading lights if you will)
> when set to the toggle to come on when the doors are open
> sometimes will STAY ON after the door is closed
> i have investigated the wiring ...
> and switch on the drivers door sill to no avail
> sometimes it goes off ... sometimes it stays on!?!
> strange ... suggestions ... where is our electrical guru?

Have you tried taking out the (white) delay in the fuse/relay area?
When removed the lights should allways go off immediately when you
close both doors.

If this is the case you either have a bad delay,
or intermittent contact in it's socket.

If not, I would guess it's an intermittent short circuit somewhere,
most likely at either the switches at the doors or at the delay socket.

Good luck on investigating,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:08:22 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Replacing spark plug leads

I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my question
on replacing the spark plug leads.

I took another go at it today after a tip from someone local
and was able to complete the job in about 3 hours.

As it turns out the 3cm of "play" I got by removing the two
allen headed screws attaching the mixture control unit bracket
to the top of the intake manifold was just enough to get everything
out and the new stuff in again.

After I had that done, the hardest was to get the #4 plug back on,
with all the plumbing in that area my hands were too thick.
Since the pliers I had were too, I ender up using a couple of
screwdrivers in a sort of "chop stick" manner to get it on.

I'm glad I got it done: the car runs better, I learned a lot more
about the injection while searching the manuals AND I have the
satisfaction of having done this myself!

Once again, thanks to all of you!