From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 955
Date: Saturday, March 23, 2002 7:52 AM

1. Re: A/C cycling switch
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

2. Re: Schematic for fan/relay
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:20:01 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: A/C cycling switch

Mike,

Walter is correct in his response to your question. I would like to add that
the statement you quoted from the article that said "if adjusting the switch
makes no difference then you should replace the switch". This is completely
wrong.

The AC Cycle Switch, which is correctly named the Low Pressure Cut Off
Switch, is factory calibrated and the adjustment should not be tampered
with. Excessive cycling of the AC compressor is almost always caused by an
insufficient level of R-12. As Walter said the engage or "on" time of the
compressor should be no less than 7 seconds with the engine RPM at 3000.
If you have tampered with the switch you should replace the switch and add
freon until the compressor cycles within the above mentioned time period,

DMC Joe/Help Club dmchelp_at_dml_att.net
Information & Store http://shopping.oraclesmallbusiness.com/dsvstore
DeLorean Website Directory www.dmc.tv

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:26:54 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Schematic for fan/relay

It appears from your request that you are not very familiar with the
DeLorean cooling fan circuit. Several years ago I wrote an extensive article
on this subject and it appears that it vanished when we moved our web site
to a new server. I'll try to explain in as few words as possible.

All DeLoreans were equipped with a cooling fan control circuit module called
the Fan Fail Module. Its main function was to illuminate the console mounted
Fan Fail warning lamp to alert the driver that one or both of the cooling
fans were drawing excessive current.

The wiring design called for both cooling fans to receive their power from
the Fan Fail Module. Shortly after production began dealerships and owners
were
reporting complete cooling fan failure. I
t didn't take long before it was
discovered that the Fan Fail module contained components that could not
handle the very high amperage drawn by the cooling fans. The result was Fan
Fail Modules were melting in their sockets which in turn rendered the fans
inoperative. Its like having a fire extinguisher filled with gasoline.

So what resulted were DeLoreans that would overheat with no warning to the
driver. Several of these incidents resulted in permanent engine damage. As
these reports increased the factory issued a modification that completely
eliminated the Fan Fail Module. This left the driver with only the
temperature gauge to warn of an impending overheat problem.

FanZilla to the rescue! This wonderful device created by Bob Zilla and
marketed by PJ Grady and DeLorean Services solved all of the module failure
problems and additionally made the entire cooling fan system more efficient
and extremely reliable.

Getting back to your post the fans should normally cycle depending on
weather or not the engine temperature or AC is calling for their assistance.
Rather than asking your mechanic to modify your cooling fan circuit you
should just purchase the FanZilla and plug it in yourself and save the labor
charge.

There is a less expensive solution called the Fan Fix from Special T
Automotive and although it does not have a fan sequencing circuit it will
greatly improve the reliability of the cooling fan circuit.

If you are still interested on the cooling fan circuit wiring diagram you
will find it at M:18:10 in your workshop manual. No circuit information was
ever published for the Fan Fail Module.

This is probably the longest message I have ever posted to the list, and I
hope
it's the last, (very long that is.)