From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 964
Date: Friday, March 29, 2002 5:32 PM

1. Re: clearwater/tampa delorean
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

2. Re: Re: Directional disengage no longer works properly
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

3. Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!) (and again!)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: Idle speed blues
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

5. Re: clearwater/tampa delorean
From: "deloreanfl" <ericp_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

6. MACHINED SHIFT KNOBS!
From: "Casey Putsch" <chaparral2a002_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Fan Relay Upgrade
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. Re: Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!) (and again!)
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

9. brake booster
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Idle speed blues
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

11. Re: No Parking Brake
From: greglinstad <greglinstad_at_dml_resrchintl.com>

12. Re: Courtesy light puzzle
From: DHughes030_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 08:26:16 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: clearwater/tampa delorean

Jim,

We did a restoration job on a black DeLorean from Florida several month's
ago; I don't know if the car was advertised on e-bay.

Regards,
DMC Joe/Help Club dmchelp_at_dml_att.net
Information & Store http://shopping.oraclesmallbusiness.com/dsvstore
DeLorean Website Directory www.dmc.tv
<b>
http://shopping.oraclesmallbusiness.com/dsvstore

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:42:13 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Directional disengage no longer works properly

Here is a quick and simple way to center your steering wheel if it is out of
alignment. First remove the steering wheel with a suitable puller and
replace the wheel and snug up the mounting lock nut. Drive the car on a
known straight level road and note the position of the center spoke. To
readjust the wheel park the car and slightly pull the steering wheel off its
mounting and advance or back off (per splins) the wheel in the direction
required to align the center spoke. Repeat the procedure until correct.

CAUTION: Be sure that the steering wheel is properly secured during road
testing.

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:52:52 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!) (and again!)

Walter you asked:
        "I'm still trying to find out how to keep my fuel pump quiet after
it gets hot."

Your noise problem may be due to the screen-door spring you installed in the
fuel suction hose. Fuel under high pressure may be cavitating as it passes
the spring coils the resulting bubbles will increase pump noise.

Part of the design parameters for the fuel pump mounting system is for sound
isolation. Any mechanical connection between the pump and adjoining
components will amplify pump noise. Noise transmission will also be
amplified if the upper pump hoses are in contact with the fiberglass body.

You asked:
        "Many people have recommended installing an air dam between the tank
& the fans. Can anyone supply photos or dimensional drawings for this?"

Contact me directly for specifications and pictures of this item.

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:01:59 -0500
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Idle speed blues

Steve,

You said:
        "There is a connector directly atop the splash shield (recall thing
above the full throttle switch).  There is clearly a place for TWO plugs to
connect there, but there is only one connector."

The addition connector is not used on manual transmission cars.

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:08:35 -0000
From: "deloreanfl" <ericp_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

Jim,

I'm not familiar with the particular car you speak of but
I live in Dunedin, just 2 minutes north of Clearwater. If you would
like me to take a look at this car for you...perhaps get some digital
photos...I'd be happy to help you out.

Contact me directly. If I can help you, I'd be happy to try.

Regards,
Eric
Dunedin, FL
VIN# 5557
ericp_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_j...> wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone on the list looked at a black
> delorean that was for sale on ebay in the summer of 2000.

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:45:10 -0500
From: "Casey Putsch" <chaparral2a002_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: MACHINED SHIFT KNOBS!

I will hopefully have all knob designs in stock and ready for sale by the
end of this week. I now have a picture of a prototype knob on my site made
from aluminum. This is one of the aluminum racier designs, there will also
be another aluminum knob with 4 groves and a flatter top and of course the
Stainless Replacement Spherical knob which is ever so slightly larger in
diameter than the origional. Go check out the site and also later in the
week as I will put the other two knob designs on there when they are made.

Sincerely, Casey  http://putschdesign.tripod.com/PPD/

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:26:23 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fan Relay Upgrade

Shain, give me two weeks and I'll have posted my design for this very function. I have
also worked out the system for the fan fail light which you need the stock wiring to be
able to use.

A microcontroller is a bit of an overkill IMO. A couple of comparators and some RC timers
are all I'm going to use. It keeps things simple.

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:32:01 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!) (and again!)

Somthing else occurred to me as I sat in traffic today watching my temp guage climb and
listening to my almost new pump start to make a racket. I was down to about 1/3 of a tank
and have recently added the bottom baffle plate (missing on early cars), and properly
routed the fuel drain back to the baffle. The fuel pump is drawing the same fuel over and
over from the very small reservoir that is the baffle. I would not be at all surprised if
the fuel in the baffle is considerably hotter than in the surrounding tank when you are
in traffic as a) you're not using much of the fuel being pumped round and b) the fuel
will not be agitated much.

I have noticed a marked increase in the noise of my pump since adding the drain hose
rather than just letting it drop back into the tank as I had it before.

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:24:41 EST
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: brake booster

Hi,
    Now that I am using the D almost  every day I want to get the power
brakes working.  I checked for vacuum where the hose comes into the booster
and it has good pressure.  Is it probable that the booster itself is bad?
What else can I check?

Thanks
David

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:25:50 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

From your description it seems that your idle speed switch is missing. That
would cause the problem you are describing.

Tom Niemczeski
vin 6298 (FOR SALE)
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:09:56 -0800
From: greglinstad <greglinstad_at_dml_resrchintl.com>
Subject: Re: No Parking Brake

Payne (#2975) and List,
As Payne mentioned (and others have previously) about the inability to get the parking brake to hold firmly, I discovered last week why mine never worked very well either. Missing pads is sometimes the problem, but mine were new. I decided to totally remove the support bracket that holds the hand brake assembly in place to see if I could find out why no matter how much adjustment I made to the brake units at the wheels the handle would feel OK, but not hold well. After removing the handle from the mounting bracket, it became quite obvious immediately what the problem was. The support bracket had cracked in two places and one spotweld had broken loose. This caused the fixed surface where the brake cables start from to be bent back each time the handle was pulled, and was now about 2 inches away from its' original position. This was not at all obvious until removal.  I straightened the bracket, had it re-welded, and after some slotting of holes put it back on, did some adjusting at the wheels and I now have a totally functioning hand brake! Payne said "but I really had to yank it hard."and "I can pull the handle up as hard as I can..." and this is what I used to do, and what probably worsened my problem so be careful. Pulling harder on the hand brake handle is not the correct way to overcome a poor holding parking brake and may do more harm than good. After removing my bracket I noticed that the way it was mounted to the floor and sidewall did put a lot of extra stress on the bracket as the body flexed, and could have been a contributing factor to the cracking. Remove the seat first (only 4 nuts from below) for easy access.
FYI, YMMV

Greg Linstad
Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club
VIN#  3507   120,000 + miles
Washington plate  "RUSTLSS"
pndc.org

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:34:56 EST
From: DHughes030_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Courtesy light puzzle

There are three diodes located at the front left edge of the console, one
red, one black, and the other blue. Remove them one at the time and check
them with an ohm meter.  One or more are probably bad.
       Don  VIN 6860