From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 987
Date: Monday, April 15, 2002 7:51 AM

1. Re: Vacuum brake bleeding kits
From: Robert Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

2. Re: Vacuum brake bleeding kits
From: "dmcman82" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Pressure (was Vacuum) brake bleeding
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

4. Re: Leather interior question
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

5. Does a tune-up ever go right? Not when I do it...
From: "cdrugly" <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

6. Re: Wet Driver Side Floor
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: Re: Vacuum brake bleeding kits
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

8. Re: Mirrored Tint
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Passenger To Memphis From Florida?
From: "whocruiser" <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>

10. RE: Snap on number of oil drain tool.
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

11. Only Five Days remaining on the NON-USA owners Poll.
From: "janvdwouw" <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

12. Re: Re: Pressure (was Vacuum) brake bleeding
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

13. Re: Pressure (was Vacuum) brake bleeding
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 07:57:50 -0500
From: Robert Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Vacuum brake bleeding kits

Hank

I have tried the one person vacuum tools a number of times over the
years. After the first time it did not work,  used an electric vacuum
pump.  Still not as good as two persons.

Don't know the specific reasons, other than vacuum can such more air
into the system even if a tiny leak is present.   Perhaps they would
okay on perfect systems, but not on old cars.

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:14:35 -0000
From: "dmcman82" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I've used them before and they generally work well. I still favor a
cheaper one man bleed technique which consists of a glass jar, some
length of rubber tubing and brake fluid. One end of the rubber tube
is fitted over the bleed screw and the other end is inserted into
the glass jar that is filled half way with brake fluid. Open up the
bleed screw, get in the car and slowly pump the brakes. As you press
down on the peddle, air and fluid is expelled into teh jar, as you
lift off the peddle brake fluid (not air) is drawn into the caliper.
After doing it a few times close the bleed screw and move to the
next one. I try to get someone to help me just to watch the jar for
bubbles. I tell them to let me know when the bubbles stop as I press
the peddle and then I close up the bleed screw.

There is a method to bleeding the brakes though, like bleed the
front left then move to the rear right and so on (not the exact way)
I can't remember the sequence and I'll have to look it up...maybe
someone on this list knows? It may not be important to follow but I
try to follow it when I need to do it.

Steve

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:05:49 -0000
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Pressure (was Vacuum) brake bleeding

Forget vacuum bleeding. You can never tell when you're done because
of the air leakage at the bleeder valves.  For the best thing in
brake bleeders (build-it yourself!), take a look at

http://www.apexcone.com/Bleeder/bleeder.html

The really nice thing about this is that this bleeder, although
designed for a BMW, works just fine on a DMC (same Girling master
cylinder!). Build it for about $20. This is a PRESSURE bleeder which
beats the daylights out of attempting to vacuum bleed. I added an o-
ring at the cap, be sure it's tight or you get a mess.

Dave Swingle  (BMW-head in my other life)

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:57:08 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Leather interior question

Dick:

You said:
        "...... It ftis perfectly.  Got it from Don Steger _at_dml_ DeLorean Motor
Center."

Yes; it fits perfectly because it came from Don Steger, someone who knows
the DeLorean and its interior specifications. My comment was based on an
incident where a customer brought us a dashboard and binnacle that was
covered by his local trim shop. When we attempted to install the items back
in his car we had to spend a considerable amount of additional labor time to
make the parts fit.

DMC Joe
Tech Information, DMC Joe Help Club, & Store
"Summer Parts Sale"
http://shopping.oraclesmallbusiness.com/dsvstore
DeLorean Website Directory www.dmc.tv

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:52:17 -0000
From: "cdrugly" <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: Does a tune-up ever go right? Not when I do it...

Alright. I did the tune up. New plugs, new rotor, new cap, new
wires... the whole shebang. Timing is good and my cold cranking is
excellent. Sitting in park, the engine purrs like a kitten.

(Now the dreaded) However, performance became sluggish under load. On
the road, there's poor acceleration in all gears. The only thing I
can see that went awry during the whole process was a broken
electrical connection in the vacuum solenoid. I can't find any
information on this connection so I have no idea what it does or how
it affect vacuum advance.

Question is, could this cause the sluggish acceleration?

If not, can anyone offer up some suggestions?

Travis

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:58:03 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Wet Driver Side Floor

You asked:
            "......is a grommet or something that should be there to stop
water from coming in and if so the part number?"

Yes; it is part # 106291 $1.50

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:24:41 -0600
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Vacuum brake bleeding kits

For a left hand drive car it's: Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left
Front. The rationale is that you start at the farthest point from the
master cylinder, then work towards it, removing air from the line as you go.

While I haven't gotten around to getting a set for my car yet, I saw a
really great bleeding setup out at the track. They're called Speed
Bleeders: http://www.speedbleeder.com/

They're basically a brake bleeder fitting with a one way valve in it.
Completely one man operation and they seem to work very easily and well.
I've seen them on numerous SCCA race cars on down to Stock Class autocross
cars. They have them in enough variety of sizes and threads that I wouldn't
think there would be a problem getting a set for a DeLorean.

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:56:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Mirrored Tint

I wondered what kind of response I'd get to that
comment.  Frankly, I have never had a problem keeping
my car cool insde either.  However, so many others
seem to have ongoing problems with the
airconditioning.  Or, at least I assume so from the
number of times air conditioning comes up on the list.

I will say, however, that the tint on the windows is
not only attractive (at least to me) but it also keeps
out quite a bit of the sun's heat and that, in turn,
makes it even easier to keep the interior cool.

Dick Ryan

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:55:25 -0000
From: "whocruiser" <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Passenger To Memphis From Florida?

I just sent in my registration for the big show in Memphis, I've
already got a room reserved at the Heartbreak Hotel (and am looking
for someone to share it with to cut expenses!), and am currently
having extensive maintainance & repairs done to the DeLorean to get
her ready for the road trip.  At present, It appears that I will be
driving the D up and back alone.  Is there anyone out there on the
list located in or near Southeast Florida who can't bring their own
DeLorean (or hasn't got one yet) who might like to come along and
join me in the passenger seat for the ride?  Please contact me and
we'll talk.  I'd feel better with someone else to help pass the time
and be able to help out if anything goes wrong, and you'd get to
experience a unique trip and watch all the turning heads & pointing
fingers from the other cars in traffic.  In addition, if you are also
driving a D up from Florida, would you like to coordinate our
schedules and travel together as a pack?  Talk about turning heads
along the way.  In either case, please contact me and we'll see what
happens.

Dan Harris - VIN# 1662 - FL Tag MY 81DMC (awaiting new plate from DMV)

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:32:52 -0400
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>
Subject: RE: Snap on number of oil drain tool.

When I first got my car I inquired about this tool.  The cheapest and quickest way to pop out the plug id with a 8mm hex key that is groung down.  Just go and buy one for a 1.50 at walmart, take it to your bench grinder, and make it look rectangular.  It willl fit perfectly in the hole, and losen and tighten the oil plug with no problems.
my easy solution
Joe Palatinus

VIN 17167 6808

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:40:57 -0000
From: "janvdwouw" <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Only Five Days remaining on the NON-USA owners Poll.

Only Five Days remaining on the NON-USA owners Poll.
So far only 19 out of 1272 subscribers have voted.
Surely there are more owners outside the USA than that!?

Take the time and vote, the poll will automatically
close next friday. I realise I forgot some countries,
but editing the poll will result in all current votes
being deleted, so I'll refrain from that.

Thanks,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:11:29 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Pressure (was Vacuum) brake bleeding

( Moderators opinion: I don't think using teflon tape in brake and lubricating systems is a good practice. Teflon doesn't disolve and particles shread off during the tightening process. They're free to float around until they find an orfice to plug, many time one that's critical.)

> Forget vacuum bleeding. You can never tell when you're done because
> of the air leakage at the bleeder valves.

The directions specifically say to use some Teflon tape around the bleeder
screws to prevent air leakage.

Also, I'm using Castrol GT-LMA brake fluid, but I only have one quart left.
If I run out, and need to add more, and I can't get any more GT-LMA (it's
hard to find), what's the next best compatible brake fluid I can use? DOT 4?
DOT 5?

Thanks,

-Hank #1619

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:15:43 -0000
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

I know this will probably start another Brake Fluid Holy War, but
here goes.

You probably ought to keep looking for the Castrol. Any quality DOT-4
is *probably* OK, but I've heard that the Castrol for some reason is
the most compatible with the natural (as opposed to synthetic) rubber
used in the DMC braking system.

DOT 5 is a whole 'nother animal. That is Silicone fluid. Not a good
idea to mix with DOT 3/4. (It won't mix, you'll get a barrier region
between the two.) BTW - the DOT5 containers often say NOT to use it
at all in ABS (not an issue)systems OR in clutch hydraulics. It is
slighly more compressible than DOT 3/4, so you could see some clutch
issues.

DOT 5 is popular with the collector-car crowd because it does not
attack the paint when it does leak. That's really the only advantage.
It also does not absorb water, but IMHO that just means that you'll
end up with water bubbles in the fluid instead of absorbed into the
fluid. Better to stick with the real stuff and change it every year
or two.

Dave Swingle