From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1335
Date: Thursday, January 09, 2003 4:33 AM

1. Re: 3rd brake light kit
From: Richard Lew <evm2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Fan Fail Relay
From: "gusbear <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

3. Re: Ah, the great R12 vs R134 debate...
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. A/C vacuuming
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. Questions on maintaining please help
From: "dmcburn75 <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Is a David Norton on the List?
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

7. Question For Massachusetts Owners
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

8. Re: DeLorean stereo upgrade
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Questions on maintaining please help
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. DeLorean in an infiniti
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. A person with a delorean in his near future
From: "hasankhalid02 <hasankhalid02ATyahoo.com>" <hasankhalid02ATyahoo.com>

12. Re: Re: Ah, the great R12 vs R134 debate...
From: kayoongATaol.com

13. Re: How serious of a jump.........???
From: bobrefahcATaol.com

14. Re: A person with a delorean in his near future
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

15. Re: A person with a delorean in his near future
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

16. escutcheon availability
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Fan Fail Relay
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: 3rd brake light kit
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:05:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Richard Lew <evm2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 3rd brake light kit

I installed an aftermarket pair of red LED lights that
are mainly used for law enforcement.  I was able to
squeeze them between the top and second louver.  I
noticed that they are so bright at night that you can
light up the car behind you and see who it is.

I also put a pair of amber colored LED lights up in
front that are always on whenever the ignition is on.
They do make a difference because people notice the
bright lights as I come up from behind.

Richard
Danville, Ca

You can check them out through the link below.

http://www.ncdmc.org/images_meets/IMG_0600.jpg

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 04:24:09 -0000
From: "gusbear <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Fan Fail Relay

You're right, Harold, the rewire of the A/C and cooling fans works
great.  I have your car!  I was shocked when I learned that stock
DeLoreans cycle the fans an/off with the compressor.

Buried in all the misc. papers I received with my DMC was a set of
instructions and diagrams explaining this wiring modification.  I
have scanned both text and diagrams, cleaned them up a bit, and put
them in the Files section as "acmod.pdf".

Personally, I would recommend a drop-in solution like the FanZilla,
but this mod can be done with minimal expense.  Also, for those of
you that have discovered you have this modification, here is the
description of what was likely done (since this was authored 20
years ago and was probably passed around amongst Houston-area
enthusiasts, at the least).

I hope you don't mind, Harold, but I left your name on it.  :-)
You're free to review it and pass along errors or corrections and I
will update the file.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>"

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 05:12:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Ah, the great R12 vs R134 debate...

I looked at the vacuum device you pointed out. I had to go to
robinair.com to get the specs on it though. It will only pull to 29.7"
mercury. This is enough to remove the refrigerent but nowhere near
enough to pull a deep vacuum of micron range (you want to get in the
400-500 micron range to boil out all of the moisture). Go to
robinair.com and read all about evacuation of A/C systems and why you
want to remove as much moisture as you can. Generally there is no
substitute for quality tools, the vacuum pump I use is a robinair but
not the air operated one! In many cases it does not pay to get the
tools for a particular job unless you use them often. For instance I
do not have a tire changer, balancer, exhaust gas analyzer, or
alignment rack. This equipment is just too expensive unless it is used
often, it is much smarter to find a shop that has good equipment and
KNOWS how to use it properly. For most people A/C work is best left to
profesionals who can afford the best equipment, deal with all of the
paperwork and legal requirements. There is also some level of danger
in handling the high pressures and the refrigerent so unless you know
what you are doing it is safer to take it to a shop. I do not want to
discourage anyone from working on their cars but some procedures are
best left to others. For instance I would never recommend anyone
trying to do their own glass work, it is just too dangerous and
expensive if you damage the glass. Remember the most important thing
is to work safely so you can enjoy your car. Nobody can do everything.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

> This isnt directly delorean realted but helpful for servicing
themThere is a cheap alternative to having the shop service your air
conditioning system.It is a small "air vac" vacuum pump driven by air
from your air compressor.With this thing and a cheap set of gauges and
hoses which can be got at most auto parts stores you can serivice it
yourself.there are also kits available for flushing the system
yourself which arent to expensive.The air vac can pull enough vacuum
to evacute almost any system including the DeLoreans.Here is a link to
where you can pick up this handy
gadget-------.http://www.autotoolexpress.com/airvacforr12.html ----.It
cost around $60 dollars which is quite a deal compared to the
$300-$800 a regular vacuum pump costs. There are even shops who you
use this thing.The cost of the air vac and hoses/gauges altogether
shouldnt exceed $120.00 excluding shipping,but you should be able to
find a dealer near you.The people who generally carry the air vac on
hand sell to garages so it wont be a retail store.There is a set of
r134 fitting adapters which should be included with any gauge set you
buy make sure they are before you purchase it.I believe discount auto
parts has a set right behind the parts counter hanging on a display
rack near the o-rings for ac systems.If you have any further questions
email me off list.

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 05:27:05 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: A/C vacuuming

Can do this even better: I use the engines themselves to vacuum my A/C
systems. A couple of brass fittings allow an R134 charging hose to
attach to 1/4 inch vacuum line. A spare nipple, 15 minutes of idle
time, and I'm ready for business. 25 year old A/C systems tend to
leak, some worse than others. Since a complete freon charge costs less
than $20, I don't fight them. While two of my Lincolns are
surprisingly tight, one leaks like a sieve. I've replaced all O rings
that are easily accessed; obscure ones aren't worth it. Problem could
be the hoses themselves. Whatever -- every summer I vacuum it down and
start with a new charge. Kind of like reverse winterization. Sucks up
about two more cans before fall. Small price to pay for cold air.
Since my D required another can in August, am pretty sure it will be
similar. Oh well...

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 06:14:14 -0000
From: "dmcburn75 <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Questions on maintaining please help

( This subject comes up about twice a week. Searching the archives at www.dmcnews.com will bring up lots of previous discussion regarding this. Maybe a private response would save the rest of the subscribers from reading the same story again.   Moderator )

Hello everyone,

I have been interested in a DeLorean for many years now. I have
researched feverishly on maintaining the car but I find myself a bit
hazy on this topic. My budget will be anywhere from 20-25k for a
DeLorean. My question is essentially what has been your experience
with maintaining the automobile? Lets assume I purchase a vehicle that
has been taken care of through out its life, has most or all upgrades
done, frame is in great shape and cosmetically up to par. I also need
to mention I plan on driving the car 12k mi a year.…. How much money
will I have to invest in the car per year? And as far as inevitable
fixes such as alts, batteries, tires, oil change, tune ups etc…. Will
I find myself spending much more money on these repairs compared to a
less exotic cars? Lastly is 25k a reasonable price to pay for a
good-great shape car? I would like to thank you all for your time on
this matter and I look anxiously at the future of being a fellow
DeLorean owner.

-Kirk McLeod
NY

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:18:25 -0600
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Is a David Norton on the List?

If so, drop me a line!

I live about 45 miles from you, across the river!

Thanks a Lot!
Robert Greenhaw
deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:37:12 -0600
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Question For Massachusetts Owners

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a car that now resides somewhere
in Massachusetts.

The car was purchased back in the fall of 2000 from a
dentist in Decatur, Alabama, and original owner was a
Ford engineer who had installed a killer stereo system,
remote door launchers/ locking mechanism/ security system,
and had completely rewired the electrical system.

The VIN is 2928, I believe.

Any help in locating this car would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You All,
Robert Greenhaw

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 07:26:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean stereo upgrade

On February 1 I will step outside and aim my ears
towards ND.  I suspect that if you turn up the volume,
I should bew able to hear your new set-up even though
I'm over a 1000 miles away!!!

Good Luck.

Dick Ryan

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:31:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Questions on maintaining please help

If your budget allows $20-25,000 for aquisition of a clean Delorean
and you don't want too many problems then since you are in NY contact
P. J. Grady and they will get you a car. For a car in this price range
it will be a low mileage car with most of the maintainence items
attended to and be very clean cosmeticaly. The other way to go is to
buy a "driver" for $12-15,000 and spend $8,000-10,000 to get it up to
that level. It is a matter of time and money. Before you spend any
money make sure to at least have someone who knows Deloreans look it
over so you don't spend $25,000 for a car worth $15,000. You won't be
happy overpaying for a car that needs a lot of work.
 For ongoing maintainence and repairs a budget of around $1,000 a year
will cover it of course depending on how much you use it and if you do
anything yourself or where you have work done. This does not include
insurance, especially if you don't have collector insurance that is
mileage limited (2,500 miles per year). This includes the occasional
tune-up, tires, battery, etc.(Things you don't buy every year)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcburn75 <dmcburn75_at_dml_y...>"

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:04:33 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean in an infiniti

check this out
it even references the DeLorean

 <A HREF="aol://4344:1195.Dcncpt8.9420885.725747215"> AOL Autos: Detroit Concepts</A>

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:26:16 -0000
From: "hasankhalid02 <hasankhalid02ATyahoo.com>" <hasankhalid02ATyahoo.com>
Subject: A person with a delorean in his near future

  Hi, as you can tell from my email my name is Hasan and im a
inspiring Delorean car owner. Just to give you a little back ground
about my self, ever since I was little I always was in love with the
car from "Back To The Future". And now eighteen years later I'm ready
to purchase my first car, but i don't know where to start?

   I'm a 6'4 young man wondering if I could even fit confortbally in
a Delorean. (Is there anyone, out there with this same problem?)Also
I know of a couple web sites that offer some help in finding a
Delorean to buy, but most of them are a fix me up JOBS. Is there
anyone with any answers to my two problems if so please write back!!

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:48:37 EST
From: kayoongATaol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Ah, the great R12 vs R134 debate...

I believe Mr. David Teitelbaum is correct on this one.  Air condition and
refrigeration systems must be properly done with good equipment, especially,
the evacuating pump for the COMPLETE evacuation of atmospheric air in a
system.  The cheaper or a weaker pump will not do it properly.

On the same breath, there are "hidden and long range damages" that can occur
from not evacuating the system properly.  If I am not mistaking and if I do
remember the facts that I was taught, moisture which is actually atmosphere
air composed of different gases and when it is mixed with freon in the closed
system, it will turn in to hydrochloric acid and it will corrode your system
from inside out.  This will lead to premature failure of the hoses and all
the components, especially the aluminum units such as your evaporator and
condenser.  So, a decent evacuating pump if a must. Every bit of minuscule of
air must be removed!

Also as a rule of thumb, when a system is opened, as in a rupture, or a
component failure and when replacing the part or parts, the RECEIVER DRIER or
the DESICCANT BAG MUST BE CHANGED!  Then immediately evacuate the system with
a REAL or an able commercial vacuum pump for at least a minimum of 20 minutes
and the longer evacuating, the better.  One hour is best for an average car.
Afterwards, turn off the pump and do check your gauges to make sure the
system is sealed and holding vacuum, with no leaks.

With the pumps off and all valves shut, the gauges MUST be holding and
reading a complete vacuum with no movement in the gauges at all!  Only then,
you can fill the system with the required type and the proper amount of
freon.  If the gauges shows even a hair line of movement, it is an indication
of a leak, DO NOT FILL, for it is waste of the freon.  You MUST check the
system again, to FIND and to CORRECT the leak or leaks in the system BEFORE
FILLING with the CORRECT AMOUNT, by USING the gauges and the PROPER STEPS to
introduce the freon into the system, with no ands, ifs and buts about it.  Do
this correctly and you should have NO problems with your A/C system.

BTW, With  some present cars and older cars, they have a "sight glass" which
is dedicated to that car's system.  This sight glass is usually the best
indicator, for it shows "sight on seen" the amount of freon in the system
when the A/C is turned on.  Bubbles means the system is low, clear means
fully or over charged or empty.  The DeLorean does not have a sight glass, so
you have to depend on the gauges, unless, you add one onto the system for
your own conveniences.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:57:44 EST
From: bobrefahcATaol.com
Subject: Re: How serious of a jump.........???

        Sounds as if you are interested in owning a Delorean.  I purchased
the one I own about ten years ago after getting it appraised by two experts
on DMC's One was the president of the local Delorean Club and the other was a
mechanic that only works on Deloreans in this area.  I am now 76 years young
and no longer drive the car.  It is stored in my basement where I have the
capability to run it monthly in order to keep the fluids from deteriorating.

       If you are interested in purchasing this Delorean you should
personally view this one as it is in excellent condition.  Let me know if you
need more pictures or information  The car is located in Atlanta

Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:04:46 -0500
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Re: A person with a delorean in his near future

Hasan,

Many Delorean owners are well over 6 feet tall and fit well enough in a Delorean.  Sure, there is not a TON of headroom, but its not like it is impossible to drive one.  I'm 6,1 and I fit just fine.

As far as finding a D to purchase, I found mine at dmcnews.com and never hesitate at recommending them first and foremost to anyone I talk to.

Take care and good luck!

Richard

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:50:45 EST
From: CIAsleeper22_at_dml_aol.com

I am 6'4 and have absolutely no problem fitting into my DeLorean. Leg room is
acceptable with headroom being more than fitting. I also had no problem
purchasing my DeLorean at the age of 18. Good luck!

Justin

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:58:48 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: escutcheon availability

List,

just an FYI -
i believe the escutcheon (that flimsy door trim piece that goes around the
door handle, lock switch, and mirror controls) has been unavailable for quite
a while.  i seem to remember asking about it when i was at DMCH this summer
and they said they didn't have it.  well, they DO have it now!  i'm not sure
if it's OEM or reproduced but it only cost about $13 from DMC Houston last
week and i got it today.  pretty fair price i think (compared to other
similar parts).

just to let everyone know - since i know these things always crack and break
tabs.

Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:36:17 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Gus - I have given the article to several people over the years. The
only real changes I have made except for a few language changes was
to add the following disclaimer. It applies to all of the articles
that may be floating around.

Harold McElraft - 3354

DISCLAIMER

The discussions and modifications described in this paper are not
warranted or guaranteed by me, Harold McElraft, in any way. The
descriptions and instructions are not guaranteed to be completely
accurate. Although I have read the paper thoroughly and attest that
I have performed the modifications herein described to DeLoreans I
own or have owned, and others, there is no assurance that I
described the modification procedures correctly in this paper or in
the diagrams.
Automotive electrical systems can be very dangerous.  Improper
procedures and/or errors can lead to major property damage, serious
personal injury, and even death. Only those who are qualified and
familiar with automotive electrical systems should attempt to
perform any of the modifications or procedures described in this
article. If you attempt to do them, you do so at your own risk.

This article was originally written around 1985.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "gusbear <gus_at_dml_a...>" <gus_at_dml_a...>

Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 03:17:17 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I have installed a 3 brake light that also greatly reinforced the
louvers. 86 or 87 vet (it has been on so long I forget). You do have
to drill two holes but it is worth it in my opinion. I painted it
before installation. I also painted the louvers. Both with a Plasti-
kote Bumper Black spray paint. Looked like original finish but it
has kept the louvers from looking dried out - nice and black. Also
the louvers do not shake and flex.

There's a picture at the link below - it's the car on the right.

http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/falltour3/attendees.jpg

Harold McElraft - 3354