From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1337
Date: Saturday, January 11, 2003 4:07 AM

1. Duane Huibregtse?
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: gas and radiator caps...
From: "The Atkinson Family" <mikeatk_at_dml_cox.net>

3. Re: 3rd Brake light
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Wheel interchanges
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. Re: Ontario DeLorean Owners Club
From: "Kevin Rawlings <kdrawlings_at_dml_sympatico.ca>" <kdrawlings_at_dml_sympatico.ca>

6. Re: Bosch Relay Plugs
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. 3rd Brake Light - Model Number
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. RE: Re: 3rd Brake light
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

9. Spare Tire.
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

10. Re: Wheel interchanges (full size spare)
From: "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

11. Re: 3rd brake light
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

12. watch out for dishonest sellers!!!
From: "John Dore <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Purflux Oil Filter 6-packs
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

14. Re: A person with a delorean in his near future
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re:Spare Tire.
From: ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com

16. Re: watch out for dishonest sellers!!!
From: "beatlesra1 <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:06:25 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Duane Huibregtse?

Is Duane Huibregtse on the list?

Please contact me off the list if you are.

Thanks,
Erik

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:55:36 -0700
From: "The Atkinson Family" <mikeatk_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: gas and radiator caps...

FWIW, It probably does not matter that much however the last time I spoke to DMC Joe about this he said a 16 pound cap was best.

Mike

  Subject: RE: [DML] gas and radiator caps...

  A leak down test with a radiator pressure tool will be the best way to really know.

  Joseph Vinciguerra (11-110750)

  Adam,

  It's best to use the correct radiator cap, which is a 15 pound cap. Both
  that and the gas cap are available from the DMC vendors for reasonable prices.

  Mark N

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 05:43:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: 3rd Brake light

One of the members in our group sells a kit to install a third brake
light. It is two plastic housings with very bright L.E.D.'s and they
install with velcro or double-stick tape to the underside of one of
the blades on the rear sunshade. You can even use them with the
luggage rack. They are not noticeable at all until they light up and
look "factory". If you are interested contact Gary Masie. His E-mail
address is rueski_at_dml_att.net. He gets $45 plus shipping. I have a set of
his lights on my car and they look very good. They are also very easy
to wire up, just run a wire down to the right rear taillight and hook
into the stop-light circuit. I recommend using an in-line fuse so if
anything takes out the 3rd brake light you don't lose all of them!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Watkins Family <watbmvATmegalink.net>

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 05:00:40 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel interchanges

How new is new? DeLorean uses a 4" square lug pattern. To make myself
a spare tire I scoured local junkyard. Only manufacture I found that
uses same pattern is Chrysler. But Chrysler only shipped 14" rims from
the factory. Fortunately located a Stealth that had aftermarket 15"
rims (aluminum too). Mounted a new Eagle GT 195/50 (same overall
diameter as 195/60 14 to fit well in trunk). Now have a spare that
will go the distance. A bit wider than stock DeLorean spare, but way
better product. Hopefully I'll never need it.

<joseph.vinciguerraATusa.pinkertons.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a quick list of what lug patterns from newer cars
that are swappable onto Delorean?  Also, what wheel pattern do you
look for from wheel companies?

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:38:13 -0000
From: "Kevin Rawlings <kdrawlings_at_dml_sympatico.ca>" <kdrawlings_at_dml_sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Ontario DeLorean Owners Club

You beat me to it!  Check out my page, I started compiling a Canadian
DeLorean owners registry a year or two back.  It's at
http://www.geocities.com/deloreancanada/  I didn't have the money to
buy a .ca address, although I wanted to to make it official.  Maybe
someday...

Kevin Rawlings
DeLorean Canada
DRIVE STAINLESS

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 05:46:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Bosch Relay Plugs

One way to do it would be to get an old relay, gut it, and hook some
wires up to the contacts inside and then drill a hole in the cover,
stick a grommet in the hole and run the wires out through the grommet.
It won't be pretty but it will work!

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 3rd Brake Light - Model Number

Tom & List,

This is what I got for my future car since so many others have had spoken highly
of it in the past. To give credit where credit is due listed below is the link
for JC Whitney as previously posted by Walt & Kevin Abato.

Shannon Y
VIN# less than 5 months to go!

--
"

Message: 21
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:52:32 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light/Led Lights

I am positive that the JCWhitney item
http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=46330&BQ=jcw2
is what Bob Zilla used.

(Product Number 83ZX0680R)
"
--

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 07:34:18 -0500
From: Watkins Family <watbmvATmegalink.net>
Subject: 3rd Brake light

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:10:56 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: RE: Re: 3rd Brake light

Re the 3rd brake light.....I know that no one would be as dumb as me in
hooking it up, and I have been working with car wiring and electronics in
general most of my 81 years.   I plumb forgot that LED's are
polarized.....thought I was working with regular 12 volt light bulbs I
guess....Took me a while to figure why, after I got all the wiring
beautifully concealed,  that the reason it would not work was that I had the
polarity backwards!!   Mine is one several have recommended and looks fine.
It has 30 LEDs and is from a GM type Suburban.  However that one the guys
talk about with LED's that light up the car behind you sounds even better!!
	Murray Fisher
	Vin: 05962
	Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:23:48 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Spare Tire.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_c...>"
<brobertson_at_dml_c...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Now have a spare that
> will go the distance. A bit wider than stock DeLorean spare, but way
> better product. Hopefully I'll never need it.
>
> Bill Robertson

Out of curiousity, exactly what makes the aftermarket spare tire
better? I simply took my spare and had it resealed _at_dml_ a Wal Mart tire
shop. A couple of days later, I ended up putting it on the rear when
I had a nail ruin the sidewall. And as fate would have it, I had to
drive around with the spare on for about 2 weeks (Yoko's out of
production, and had to wait for both payday, and new tire delivery),
and clocked over 200 miles on the tire durring my commute. Granted of
course, I never exceeded the speed limit of 45 driving on city
streets. That was last summer, and when I checked a couple of weeks
ago, my spare is still holding 60psi. If you want to simply change
out the tire, then I believe that Oldsmobile makes a tire in the same
exact size for their minivans. $15 is the average price for the
spares in junk yards. Just take it to a specialty tire shop, and have
them mount the new one. Otherwise, if resealed, the original spare
will work just as intended.

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:55:04 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel interchanges (full size spare)

The Delorean uses a fairly standard 4 x 100 bolt pattern and there
are many European cars that have the same pattern, including big
name manufacturers like VW using that pattern throughout the 80's
and most of the 90's, with tens of thousands of possible donors.

The wheel that I have come across that makes an excellent full size
spare is the stock aluminum wheel from an early VW Corrado G60.
The stock wheel is a spoke design with a silver tone finish and
most importantly a 15" wheel that is only 6 inches wide, not 7.
A 195/50-15 tire on this rim is about the same height and width
as a stock front Delorean wheel/tire combo, but can run all day
at expressway speed.  Installation on the rear as a spare does
feel a bit awkward, but I do have much more confidence in this
setup for long distances than using a 22 year old stock spare.
Leave off the VW center cap, and this spare looks like "stock".

Although I have not tried the function of the angle drive with
this spare on the left front, is you get a flat on the left front
you can always swap the right front to the left front and put the
spare on the right front.  A little confusing, but it does work.

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:56:03 -0600
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

There are photographs of Richard Lew's LED lights at the following URL:

http://www.ncdmc.org/Clubmeets.htm

Regards,
Farrar in New Orleans

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:56:37 -0000
From: "John Dore <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: watch out for dishonest sellers!!!

hey guys,
this might remind those of you looking to buy a DMC, that sellers
are not always entirely honest (or sometimes even remotely honest!)
about the car they are trying to sell so be careful if you buy a car
sight unseen over the internet, i.e. off Ebay.
Anyway, what happened to me was that I saw the ad on dmcnews.com,
emailed the seller (Andrew J. Block, who at the time lived in
Weatherly, Pennsylvania, and has now moved to Phoneix, Arizona) and
asked about the condition of the car, etc. He emailed back, and
based on what he said in his email and on 2 photographs of the car,
I drove the 500 miles trip to check it out/buy it. I did buy the car
that day, and it was a good deal, but still he was fairly dishonest
about it. This all happened around February 2002.
He said there was no rust anywhere on the car, but there was some on
the Front frame extension. I noticed it on the day and considered it
minor enough that I could tackle it myself, and sure enough it has
been nicely protected with POR-15 now...
He said the body had no dents, and on the day, I didn't see any.
But, there were 2 small dents on the passenger door, that I only
noticed when one night a few days later, a light shone across them
making them easier to see, and they've been annoying me to look at
ever since!! Ah well, those dents are my own fault for not looking
at the bodywork very closely on the day.
Now this next bit is the bit that bugs me the most!
He sent me 2 pics of the car. Or so he said. Actually he stole them
off the DeLorean canada website... here's the 2 pics...
http://www.geocities.com/deloreancanada/leduc1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/deloreancanada/leduc2.jpg

I only noticed this today as I was browsing the website, I suppose
Andrew Block thought I'd never know, but it was in my opinion a very
dishonest trick.

My point is, this guy was this dishonest about a car I had a chance
to see and drive before I handed over any money. Imagine how
dishonest some sellers could be if you never meet them or see the
car before handing over thousands of you hard earned dollars!!

The car I bought off him is in really great shape, I just hate the
way he went about selling it. If I was back again, (or whenever I
buy a 2nd DeLorean) I'll be much more cautious.

My advice is to look a car up and down, make sure there are no
dents, rust, and that everything works as described. If not, use it
as a bargaining tool to get a better deal, or walk away. There seems
to be plenty good value DeLoreans out there, so you don't have to
buy the first one you see!

Good luck to all searching for their dream car! And don't anybody
ever buy a car off Andrew J. Block living in Phoneix, AZ!!!

John Dore, Ireland, VIN #3810.

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:07:40 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Purflux Oil Filter 6-packs

We just got a pallet load of Purflux oil filters in today, so all back
orders should be filled today. Additionally, oil filter and sealing washer
six packs are available again from DeLorean Motor Company (Texas). $69.95
for six genuine Purflux filters and six sealing washers. These filters are
also available individually for $12.73.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396

281/441-2537 Voice
281/441-2813 Fax
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:56:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: A person with a delorean in his near future

Welcome to the group Hasan! Not to add another me too... but I'm 6'3" and fit just fine inside my D. You will just have to lean back your seat more than you do in a regular car to be able to close the door. I believe I actually have more legroom in my D than I do in my Grand Prix daily driver. For such a tiny little car (my D is about belly button high on me), it is a surprisingly roomy car inside. The only problem is entry and exit when you're over 6' tall... you kinda have to fold yourself in half to get in and out... haha!

I was 19 when I bought my DeLorean (I'm a ripe old 20 now!). Alot of people discourage people under the age of 25 from buying D's. I am proof you can be young and own one of these cars... and there are people who are 3 or 4 years younger than me on this list as well. Just don't spend all your money on purchasing the car... you're going to have to have about $5k in reserves for all the fun little unexpected things that pop up in your first year of ownership. I could tell you some stories. I also highly recommend you keeping another car as a daily driver until you can be assured your D is going to be dependable. These cars are 22 years old... and lots of stuff needs replacing!

So the best advice I have for you is to read the DML and get in contact with owners in your area... they proved invaluable to me. I learned so much from them by tagging along with them to D events... and dragging them to look at potential buys for me. I was involved in the community about 2 years before I ended up getting my '82 DeLo. I think anyone can own a DeLorean... as long as they're well educated in the car, have lots of patience, and a huge amount of love for these machines... because ownership will test all of these... LOL. Despite DeLoreans being money pits (what classic/exotic isn't one?), I wouldn't have any other car. I *ADORE* my DeLorean... and still find myself staring into the garage in disbelief that I actually own one! Best of luck on your path to ownership!

Louie Golden
#10115 Sanford, NC

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:42:49 GMT
From: ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: Re:Spare Tire.

I was recently quoted about $100 to replace the tire for my spare.  At Goodyear, they said they've never seen one of the tires before.  Any additional info about the oldsmobile minivan spare tire theory?

Right now I have a 12V air pump that lives in the car in case I need the spare.  It seems like a better idea than spending $100 on something I hope I never need! (?)

Jim
1537

---------- "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com> From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Spare Tire.
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:23:48 -0000

<brobertson_at_dml_c...> wrote:

Out of curiousity, exactly what makes the aftermarket spare tire
better? I simply took my spare and had it resealed _at_dml_ a Wal Mart tire
shop. A couple of days later, I ended up putting it on the rear when
I had a nail ruin the sidewall. And as fate would have it, I had to
drive around with the spare on for about 2 weeks (Yoko's out of

SNIP!

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:33:38 -0000
From: "beatlesra1 <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: watch out for dishonest sellers!!!

John,
Try Dry Ice on those dents, you might be surprised at the results.

Chuck Darling
Vin#6125