From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1338
Date: Sunday, January 12, 2003 3:34 AM

1. A new great spare tire debate?
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

2. Re: Re: Wheel interchanges (full size spare)
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

3. Re: Re: watch out for dishonest sellers!!!
From: John Gedeon <johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. New Gull-Wing Automobile
From: "Jordan Hamilton" <DeLorean_at_dml_gbronline.com>

5. I'm considering a DeLorean, but I want to ask experts first.
From: "Chris Moore <chrismoore_at_dml_mchsi.com>" <chrismoore_at_dml_mchsi.com>

6. Re: A person with a delorean in his near future
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

7. RE: Re: 3rd Brake light
From: Richard Lew <evm2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: watch out for dishonest sellers!!!
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

9. Re: A new great spare tire debate?
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: A new great spare tire debate?
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

11. RE: A new great spare tire debate?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

12. RE: New Gull-Wing Automobile
From: jung.jack_at_dml_fin.gc.ca

13. Re:Spare Tire.
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

14. Re: A new great spare tire debate?
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: New Gull-Wing Automobile
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

16. Re: Wheel interchanges (full size spare)
From: "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

17. Re: A new great spare tire debate? (not)
From: "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

18. Dry Ice For Dents
From: "beatlesra1 <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>

19. reassembling after water pump replacement - quick question
From: "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

20. ADMIN: Photos section
From: "Dave Swingle <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

21. Re: reassembling after water pump replacement - quick question
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: A person with a delorean in his near future
From: IM2WITTY <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: reassembling after water pump replacement - quick question
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

24. My Classic Car
From: "gullwingmagazine <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:53:35 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: A new great spare tire debate?

Relax people. My D had no spare. I needed something to fit a
particular well, a particular bolt pattern, and two different sized
brake calipers (14" rims won't clear the rear). Went to the junkyard
and found suitable rim (no offense to VW people, but they apparently
weren't big sellers in rural North Carolina -- junkyard didn't have
one). Bought a brand new tire to fit. FWIW, my rubber is brand new and
designed to be a primary tire.

The *REAL* question should be: OK, I've got the spare mounted on the
rear, now what do I do with the flat 15"?

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:54:55 -0500
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Wheel interchanges (full size spare)

Do you mean Corrado G60 wheels that look like this:??

http://eskin.net/ebay/g60-wheel2.JPG
http://eskin.net/ebay/g60-wheel1.JPG

I sold this wheel from my '92 G60 on ebay for $5 about a year ago.  Had I known that I could have used it for a spare of the D,  I would have kept it and fixed that nasty dent.  (I sold the Corrado years ago, but the wheel was left over in my basement).

Oh well... learn something new everyday.

-Hank  #1619

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:00:46 -0800 (PST)
From: John Gedeon <johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: watch out for dishonest sellers!!!

Dry ice? how does that work?
A different John
--- "beatlesra1 <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>"
<beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:
> John,
> Try Dry Ice on those dents, you might be surprised
> at the results.
>
> Chuck Darling
> Vin#6125

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

=====
<>< Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;"

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:52:07 -0600
From: "Jordan Hamilton" <DeLorean_at_dml_gbronline.com>
Subject: New Gull-Wing Automobile

I was recently looking at the new cars that will be showing this year at the Chicago Auto Show, I noticed that Infiniti is showing a new automobile called the Triant.  The pictures of it show it to have gull-wing doors.  The styling of the doors look a lot like that of a delorean, does anyone know if this is just a concept car or are there production plans?

Jordan

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:26:48 -0000
From: "Chris Moore <chrismoore_at_dml_mchsi.com>" <chrismoore_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: I'm considering a DeLorean, but I want to ask experts first.

( Moderator's note: Chris, and any others with this same question would be best served looking in the archives at www.dmcnews.com. This same question as appeared three or four times this week alone.)

Hello all,

I just got out of college, I am job hunting, and after I get that
job and get settled I am going to want to purchase a new car. I've
always had this fascination with the DeLorean automobile, they are
just so cool looking. I know I'd turn plenty of heads driving around
town in one.

I have read about people that purchase these cars and use them as
everyday driver cars. I can't afford to be a car collector, but the
fact that so many use them as everyday cars is encouraging to me. I
have seen that you can get a professionally restored Delorean for
between 30 and 40 thousand depending on options from DMC in Houston.

With that in mind,  I would like to ask a few questions to you
people: the true delorean experts.

1 - Can I take my delorean to Jiffy Lube and get the oil changed for
19.95 without them looking at me like I'm insane? How hard is it
REALLY to get yoru delorean worked on for those regular things, ie
new brake shoes/pads, oil changes, new belts, radiator flushes, etc
etc etc?

2 - How much room do you have in a DeLorean? I'm 6'1, will I be
crammed into it like a sardine or will I be comfortable? I've seen
plenty of pictures but I have never ridden in one before.

3 - For those of you that ordered a refurbished car from DMC in
Houston at www.delorean.com how was your buying experience? Would
you recommend it to a friend?

Thanks a lot in advance for taking time to answer all these
questions!!

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:50:17 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: A person with a delorean in his near future

Hello list,

Just a funny story about buying my DeLorean.  I purchased my DeLorean one
month after I graduated high school in 1998.  I had the cash, since I had
worked throughout high school, the only problem was telling my parents about
the car.

I decided that I would get in more trouble if I asked for permission to bring
a car home, and was told "No" and then went out and did it anyway.  So, as
most teenagers would do, I didnt say anything.

I went and picked up the car on a Saturday night and had it towed home.  My
mother was out of town that week, so I didnt have to worry about her.  Now my
father was another case, I had to hurry and get the car "hidden in the
garage" before he got home.  I pulled off the task of getting the car put
away, and then I went to bed.  It was a sleepless night.  I stayed awake
thinking, "Awsome, I have a DeLorean.  But how the heck can I explain this?"

The next morning I decied to tell my father about the purchase.  I went
downstairs and said, "Dad I have to tell you about something."  with a smile
his response was, "Does it have anything to do with a stainless steel car in
my garage?"

For some strange reason he decided to walk out in the middle of the night and
look in the garage.  Thankfully he wasn't mad at all, although I did get a
few "money pit" comments.  When my mother got home a few days later she
pulled up to the garage thinking she could pull her car in, as she opened the
door she went into shock, with a thought of, "I know its a DeLorean, but
where did it come from?"

On another note, I would agree that another daily driving car is needed, or
at least helpful.  I still have my 72 Buick Riviera (with 300,000 miles!),
which I drive in these awful Chicago winters.  The Buick also serves the
purpose of keeping the miles off the DeLorean.

Plus any parts failure on the DeLorean can take it out of service for a few
days while you wait for a part.  In the best case, you can have a part shiped
with next day service, but that still knocks you out of service for that day.

Live the Dream,
Andrew

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 21:25:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Richard Lew <evm2k_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: 3rd Brake light

The one that I have is 40 LED light per module.  The
lights are held by double sided sticky tape at the top
and is wedged in between the upper louver and the
lower.  It won't come off and it doesn't interfere
with the rear view.  I connected it to the wire
harness where the firewall is.  Very simple to do.

In the front, the amber lights are attached to the
grill with screws through the grooves and you can't
see the holes in that position.  I ran a hot lead wire
to the center console lights and installed a rocker
switch so I could turn off the lights whenever I
wanted.  But the amber lights will only turn on
whenever the ignition key is turned.

Last night, I drove my car through the city streets of
San Francisco and stopped at a very well lit
intersection.  The car behind me had a young lady
fixing up her make up.  My 3rd brake light was so
bright on her that I could actually see the lip gloss
she put on shimmer in the light.  These lights do not
have any red lens.  They lite up naturally red.
That's how bright they are.

If any of you want to order them, email me privately.
They cost $55 each plus shipping.

Richard Lew
Danville, CA

3rd brake red light LED
http://www.ncdmc.org/images_meets/IMG_0600.jpg

Front running amber lights LED
http://www.ncdmc.org/images_meets/IMG_0603.jpg

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:08:05 -0500
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

just out of curiosity, how would you repair dents using dry ice?  What is
the procedure?

thanks
Joseph

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:41:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: A new great spare tire debate?

One of the primary reasons for the optional luggage
rack was to act as a tire carrier in the event you had
a flat in the rear and a passenger in the front seat.

Dick Ryan

--- "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>"

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:31:38 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

Dick,
	Being a frugal person I have not bought a spare tire rack.   I figured I
could put the flat in the front seat and let the wife hitch hike home.   I
have not proven that theory yet tho.
	Murray fisher

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:32:46 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

To carry the flat tire, you can either place it in a large trash bag (that
you brilliantly stashed in your car) and carry it in the front passenger
seat or you can strap it down on your luggage rack.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:13:18 -0500
From: jung.jack_at_dml_fin.gc.ca
Subject: RE: New Gull-Wing Automobile

At this site: http://www.auto.com/photos/2003/ it is listed as a Concept
Car.

Jack

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:50:05 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re:Spare Tire.

The tire size for the spare is fairly common. I typed in the tire
size T125/70D15 into Google, and that's how I found what other
vehicles it was used on (Eclipse, Alero, Malibu, Silhouette, etc).
Then I just went to www.car-parts.com, and looked the part up from
various junkyards (look in the catergory "wheels").

Just of of curiousity, when Goodyear said that they had never seen
the tire before, were they speaking of the specific size, or the tire
in general? Goodyear does indeed still makes spare tires. While it
isn't the same size, low-end Jeep Wranglers w/space saver tires do
say Goodyear on the side, and even have the exact same tread pattern
as the DeLorean spare. There is one catch here. When I went to a Wal
Mart tire place, my spare tire wouldn't fit properly into the machine
to seperate the tire (or atleast that's what the guy said), so you
may need to take the tire to a shop with the proper equipment, or a
small "mom n pop" type place where they can remove the tires by hand
to switch them. But the guy did wipe the wheel and tire, and
slathered a ton of sealant all over. Holds air ever since.

I've heard two theories about why the tires don't hold air. The
latter of the two makes sense.
1. Moisture can accumulate in the foam pads that the wheel rests on,
and can cause corrosion on the aluminium wheel, thus "eating" thru
the seal. My wheel didn't show any type of damage, and if this were
the case, I don't think the problem would be as common.

2. The spares were assembled by a subcontractor (when they were added
_at_dml_ the QAC's) who never mounted and sealed the tires properly. This
make a bit more sense, and holds a bit more water since the spare is
made by a different company (Rockwell Intl.) than the stock wheels
(GKN)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, ihaveanaccount_at_dml_j... wrote:
> I was recently quoted about $100 to replace the tire for my spare.
At Goodyear, they said they've never seen one of the tires before.
Any additional info about the oldsmobile minivan spare tire theory?
<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:51:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The garbage bag is a great idea if you have to put the tire on the
seat but another way to do it is to open the rear sunshade and place
the tire on the engine cover. Then you use the bungee cord you keep in
the car for this emergency and use it to hold the sunshade down. BTW
the engine cover is a great way to deliver pizza too! The front tire
will fit in a garbage bag behind the passenger seat if you move it all
the way up (and have a small cooperative passenger). The luggage rack
is the best way to go assuming you have it and a way to tie the tire
to it.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_m...>

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:11:33 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jordan Hamilton" <DeLorean_at_dml_g...>
wrote:
> I was recently looking at the new cars that will be showing this
year at the Chicago Auto Show, I noticed that Infiniti is showing a
new automobile called the Triant.  The pictures of it show it to have
gull-wing doors.  The styling of the doors look a lot like that of a
delorean, does anyone know if this is just a concept car or are there
production plans?

> Jordan

After looking the car up online, it's only a prototype. The doors are
VERY DeLorean looking when it comes to both the overlapping, and the
inner door seal. The seals are quite interesting as there only
appears to be an innter seal, and it doesn't cover the bottom. A
spray sheild strip of rubber covers the door on the bottom, out from
the door sill. If so, that would really resolve the only fault with
the gullwing design on the DeLorean (sometimes when I get out, my
boots will snag the door seal, and pull it loose).

The doors need a bit of work though. The have a rather unique design,
in as they're reversed witht the striker pins on the door, and the
latches are on the body. It looks nice, and does reduce the weight of
the door (though you would end up with a Bricklin situation of having
to enter via the rear hatch if the battery dies). But the latching
points are too low. In a side impact, the door would fold in half,
and intrude into the passenger compartment. So the latches will
either need to be moved up to the center of the door, or fixed steel
grab points, and a 2nd set of pins to lock into place incase of an
impact.

Another feature that I like is the coverplate over the hinges.
Although I don't know how feasable it is on the DeLorean application.
Looking at the control panel on the center console, the doors are
electronicly controled. Which leads to an interesting question of
how. They can't counter-balance the doors with torsion bars, because
that would be a pattent infringement. And if sole electric motors are
what controls the doors, then the battery would be dead in no time at
all. Just by opening and closing the doors. So it really makes me
wonder just what is behind those covers over the hinges. The hinges
too are not what I would consider "ideal". They appear to me to
require a thicker than normal roof to house the internals of the door
hinge mechanics.

Overall, the vehicle isn't too bad of a design. But the gullwing
doors don't fit it well at all. Gullwings should be installed on
sleek cars where they aren't so much of a feature, as they are a
nessesity to compensate for ingrees/egress, and widetrack
considerations for parking. Not something that looks like a small
SUV. The Triant isn't too bad, but seems to be suffering from an
identity crisis. Is supposed to be a luxury car, a "Cute Ute", a
sports car, what?!? If I had one thing to compare it to, it would be
the first car that popped into my head when I first saw this one: AMC
Eagle. Seadan look with a lift kit.

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:56:26 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel interchanges (full size spare)

Hank and List,

I posted a couple photos of the wheel in the Spare Wheels folder in
the Photos section of the DML Vault.  One shows what the wheel looks
like mounted on the right front of one of my DMC rolling chassis.
Another shows what it looks like, with center cap in place on an
early VW Corrado G60 ('89-'90 model).  I thought VW and non-VW people
would like the VW Corrado "tounge in cheek" ad photo.

Hank, the wheel you had, which looks like an optional but original
VW Corrado wheel for the '92 model may work, but it is 7" wide and
may have rubbed, unlike the earlier 6" wide wheel.  BTW: The '91
VW Corrado used a 6.5" rim that looked similar in design to yours.

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:09:44 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: A new great spare tire debate? (not)

Bill and List,

Just offering the VW wheel as a quick and inexpensive option, not to
start a debate on which is better or the best full size spare option.
The aluminum VW wheel is 15" and 6" wide, which is the same width as
the stock Delorean front wheel.  Keep a plastic bag for your flat.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_c...>"

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:46:15 -0000
From: "beatlesra1 <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>" <beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Dry Ice For Dents

This was used before for popping out dents caused by Hail..Because
stainless has a memory it can work.

All you have to do is place Dry Ice on the dent until hopefully it
pops out. We did this in the heat of Summer so I'm not really sure if
the metal needs to be hot or not before cooling!

Please let me know if this works for you guys!

Chuck
Vin#6125

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:00:00 -0000
From: "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: reassembling after water pump replacement - quick question

In the course of replacing my Water pump, cleaning that awful area
down in there, replacing fuel injectors, and doing a quick tune-up--
I'm also (of course) replacing all my vacuum hoses.

Should the green part of the vacuum switch (on the internal water
pipe) rotate freely of the brass nut portion? It does on mine. Worth
replacing either way? How about the rest of the switch/sensors down
in there? I'll never be down that far again... so....

Other than that one bolt the water pump project went (is going)
smoothly, if a bit cold out there in the garage.

Thanks for your help!
James LaLonde 4009

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 01:11:32 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: ADMIN: Photos section

Just something to be aware of - periodically I "clean up" the photo
section as it gets full (there's a finite limit). So don't put
anything there expecting it to be permanent. It's great for use to
illustrate a post, as is usually done.

If something should be on the DML web permanently, send it to me
privately (and write a short story about it) and I'll put it in the
tech section.

Thanks

Dave S - << always scrounging for dmcnews.com content

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:01:05 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

James, The green part on the left is the air pivot switch for the vacuum. I
normally tell people to replace it due to the fact it's a mechanical item and
20 years old. It really shouldn't turn. It's not that expensive. It routes
the vacuum to the vacuum solenoid as the car heats up to advance the timing.
As for the sensors on the right side. I would take them out and clean up the
brass ends that are exposed to the water. They normally work OK and by
cleaning will help regain some of the sensitivity of the thermistor inside.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:03:17 -0800 (PST)
From: IM2WITTY <im2witty_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hello Hasan,

If you live in the Ny area, I will let you sit and
drive my car.

Peter
--- "hasankhalid02 <hasankhalid02ATyahoo.com>"

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:08:10 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

What happened with bolt stub? Were you able to drill through center?
Did you use a helicoil? Slather anything on the threads to keep it
from happening again?

Except for stupid wiring harness (would it have killed JZD to spend a
little more for an extra inch or two of wire), I found intake removal
not so bad. O rings on the air passages are a novel idea -- almost as
if the nice PRV people want you to keep popping the thing off. How
much elasto do you have left in your fluorelastometric hoses? Only
real problem I ran into was getting tank lines back onto their hose
barbs (my injector lines et al are steel). Were no problem up front so
I think engine heat has slowly baked them hard. Rigged up a threaded
brass coupler to allow easier removal in the future. As you
discovered, there's a lot of mischief down there (something tells me
this isn't the last time my intake's coming off...)

Oh, what do you think about access to the ignition distributor without
intake in place? *THAT'S* the time to change cap & rotor!

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:08:33 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: My Classic Car

Looks like Speed Vision will be airing the coverage of the River City
Autofest which had 14 of our D's in attendance including D-Rex.
Since there was a lot of footage shot around the Delorean group maybe
some of it will make it to the episode and not hit the cutting room
floor.  Speed Vision shows are scheduled for January 22, 26, and 29th.

Ron